Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2007, 03:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Cochin - Munnar : Route/Climate Queries

Any idea on what the climate is in munnar? Heard that it is below 10deg centi in munnar about now. is it true? Have not been to munnar since the demolition. will be driving up there this weekend, ie on 1st. will be taking the usual route. perumbavoor-kothamangalam-adimali-munnar.
Old 26th November 2007, 05:39   #2
BHPian

Where do you plan to stay? I hear many of the mid-range and affordable options are gone. Has it affected tourism terribly?
Old 26th November 2007, 09:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wierdly, none of the weather web-sites (including Indian Weather Office) has a listing for Munnar weather. Typically, Munnar is pleasant weather in December, but I have known cold upto Minus 3 Degress in January (this was a long time ago, no idea whether it gets that cold normally, was there at that time) - but you can expect mercury to dip down to the 0-5 degrees in January.
Old 26th November 2007, 10:40   #4
abn

Hi,

it will be very cold during dec and january in munnar. Sometimes temp will dip to minus.
Regarding stay, better to book advance since its a season time in munnar.
Old 26th November 2007, 11:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Stay is not an issue, we have got our uncles cottage (deshadanam) there, or we can use the club affliations to put opurselves up at tea county.

The climate is what i am looking for if it is below 10 deg centi, it would be awesome.
Old 26th November 2007, 12:33   #6
abn

at day time it will be more hot and in night it will be cold..

if you are looking for a cool atmosphere deshadanam will be a good choice(situated in a higher altitude)

anyways happy vacation..
Old 26th November 2007, 12:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Stay is not an issue, we have got our uncles cottage (deshadanam) there, or we can use the club affliations to put opurselves up at tea county.

The climate is what i am looking for if it is below 10 deg centi, it would be awesome.
I bet it would be as close to that, but 10 Deg will be the minimum i guess.. late night or early morning perhaps.. during day time and say afternoon,i am sure temp will be in excess of 20 Deg

also it depends on where u stay.. away from munnar town, i am sure it will be cooler than normal.
Old 26th November 2007, 13:46   #8
BHPian

Hey even I am planning to ride down to munnar in january first-second week, wanna know contact details of some affordable places to stay, so that I can book in advance if possible, heard costs escalates by ten times during this season due to heavy inflow of firangs.

Also if its not terribly deviating from this thread can someone help me out with routes keeping following considerations in mind:

1) want to ride through valparai(the 60km jungle road in jungle) visit athirampally falls, sholayar dam and the lot

2) visit some backwaters in aleppey etc

3) Munnar/thekkady - all the regular sightseeing plus safari/trek in periyar or silent valley(or any other wildlife place around munnar)

4) Also include kodai if time permits

which is the best circuit to take? total duration for the trip will be something like monday noon to saturday night. Wish to do most of the riding in daytime, got no problems with night riding but prefer to not miss the scenery. and also possibly take udumalpet-palladam-coimbatore-sathyamangalam-chamrajnagar-mysore-bangalore route on either to or from munnar.
Old 26th November 2007, 15:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho0ligaN View Post
Hey even I am planning to ride down to munnar in january first-second week, wanna know contact details of some affordable places to stay, so that I can book in advance if possible, heard costs escalates by ten times during this season due to heavy inflow of firangs.

Also if its not terribly deviating from this thread can someone help me out with routes keeping following considerations in mind:

1) want to ride through valparai(the 60km jungle road in jungle) visit athirampally falls, sholayar dam and the lot

2) visit some backwaters in aleppey etc

3) Munnar/thekkady - all the regular sightseeing plus safari/trek in periyar or silent valley(or any other wildlife place around munnar)

4) Also include kodai if time permits

which is the best circuit to take? total duration for the trip will be something like monday noon to saturday night. Wish to do most of the riding in daytime, got no problems with night riding but prefer to not miss the scenery. and also possibly take udumalpet-palladam-coimbatore-sathyamangalam-chamrajnagar-mysore-bangalore route on either to or from munnar.

Ideal route will be as follows:

Monday (from noon)
Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Toppur-Mettur-Bhavani-Perundurai-Chennimalai-Gangayam-Dharapuram-Palani-Kodaikanal
Stay en route, depending on speed - choice of Mettur, Bhavani
Reach Tuesday afternoon at Kodai

Wednesday afternoon departure, arrive night:
Kodaikanal-Vathalagundu-Theni-Bodi-Bodi Medu-Poopara-Munnar

Thursday in Munnar
Leave on Friday early morning
Munnar-Poopara-Thekkady/Kumili

Reach Kumarakom on Friday late night:
Kumili-Vandiperiyar-Peeremade-Mundakayam-Kottayam-Kumarakom/Alapuzha (depending on choice)

Leave on Sat afternoon, stay at Chalakudy:
Kumarakom-Chertala-Kochi-Aluva-Chalakudy

Sunday drive:
Chalakudy-Athirapalli-Sholayar-Valparai-Pollachi-Coimbatore

Coimbatore-Sathy-Dimbam-Chamarajnagar-Mysore-Bangalore

As you can see, the trip to Kodai is screwing up yoir schedule, hence if yu want to be back on Sat nighyt, plan without Kodai.

Which means you can go direct to Munnar - from Dharapuram, go via Udumalaipet, Chinar and Maraiyoor. Since you are leaving on Monday noon, you will have to halt en route, and reach Munnar next noon.

Therefore, routing will be as follows:
Bangalore-Munnar-Thekkady-Kumarakom-Alapuzha-Chalakudy-Athirapalli-Valparai-Coimbatore-Mysore-Bangalore.

Ideally, if you don't mind night driving, you can drive through the TN plains on Day 1 as late as possible, halting at Udumalaipet (after Udumalai, thanks to wildlife, bikes will mostly not be allowed throughta t night). This will ensure that you save some time, getting to Munnar early in the morning since from Udumailpet, you could do it in under 3 hours.

Similarly, you cant drive at night beyond Athirapalli to Valparai, hence Chalakudy offers the best bet to halt overnight.
Old 26th November 2007, 16:10   #10
BHPian

thankyou very much sir, also if possible can you give me the approximate distances between the places you have mentioned?
Old 27th November 2007, 02:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

do we really require 1 day's stay in munnar? i think thats an overkill

btw, am also planning to inclde devikulam in the trip.

Devikulam,Devikulam hill station,Devikulam hill station travel,south india hill stations

Last edited by govigov : 27th November 2007 at 02:47.
Old 27th November 2007, 10:48   #12
abn

In that case try to visit a place called gap road .its on the way to chinnakanal from devikulam. You will surely enjoy the drive and the place(especially in the evening)
Old 28th August 2008, 11:49   #13
BHPian

Munnar road condition/weather

Hello,

I am planning a Munnar trip in September. How would the weather be in Munnar at this time?

Also how is the road condition Kochi - Munnar now?

Nirmal
Old 28th August 2008, 11:57   #14
BHPian

Nirmal, if you planning visit Munnar from BLR, the best route would be through BLE>Mettur >Perundurai > Udumalpet > Marayur > Munnar (unless you have some plans to visit some one in Cochin)
Old 28th August 2008, 13:13   #15
BANNED

Cochin to Munnar is fine. Not so bad roads and some very good roads.
It's surface is good and curves are well made to enjoy the drive all the way.

Most Viewed