Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2010, 10:07   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
But I would add another bunk to the list, Yashoda bunk, the one just after the KPN Parcel office; besides Sangeetha hotel.
Is this the BPCL pump which also has LPG, I have filled a couple of times, seemed good both in terms of measure and quality.
Old 28th May 2010, 10:34   #62
Senior - BHPian

Sri,

Not sure of they have LPG. Have not noticed it. But, that is the only bunk in that vicinity.
Old 28th May 2010, 10:45   #63
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the info. TVS bunk will do nicely, I will go out of my way for it! Apart from these, any other good ones en route?
Old 28th May 2010, 11:15   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Thanks for the info. TVS bunk will do nicely, I will go out of my way for it! Apart from these, any other good ones en route?
You also have BPCL Ghar just before Ulundurpet Bye-pass which is good. Considering you drive an Alto, if you tank up at Ulundurpet on your way to Trichy you can reach back Chennai comfortably, alternatively if you start with a full tank in Chennai, you can top up at either of the petrol pumps at Trichy without needing another refill all the way.
Old 28th May 2010, 15:19   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

If you are coming from madhurai, then after madhurai on NH45 B there is a BPCL COCO bunk on the left side. It also has a Veg Dhabba restaurant. The quantity and quality is good, but the only flip side is the attendants tends to pose as though the credit card machine is not working and make you pay by cash. This is my favourite pit stop with decent food and clean restrooms. If you dont like the food here then there is a highway hotel on the other side of the highway. I forgot its name but it startrs with somehing like Hotel temple town. This is a veg restaurant.

There is also a HP petrol bunk on the outskirts of Viralimalai. I havent tried this bunk but a lot of truckers visit this place. Any ideas about this bunk guys?
Old 28th May 2010, 15:46   #66
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, Srikanth and Hari! I will naturally start out with a full tank of Shell super, and will need one refill - either at Trichy or en route. I am toying with the idea of a Trichy trip as our Bangalore road trip has been postponed to mid July, when we have to attend a function there. We could not go anywhere for vacation this year as my Son's upanayanam and the associated religious functions + temple visits that took up quite a few weekends. We did not go last summer too as I underwent a surgery, and junior is naturally peeved!

Therefore the plan to visit Trichy & Tanjore next week, subject to sanction of leave for me and wife. After that it won't be possible, as the school re-opens on the 7th of June. Thanks to everyone once again for the tips.
Old 12th June 2010, 16:42   #67
Team-BHP Support

Of the 360 kms between Adyar and Tiruchy, how many kms of the road is two lane and how many kms is divided by a median.

I know its sounds like a foolish question. But I am not very comfortable driving while facing traffic from the opposite side.
I need to do a Chennai-Tiruchy-Chennai trip sometime next week in a day.
Old 12th June 2010, 17:55   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Of the 360 kms between Adyar and Tiruchy, how many kms of the road is two lane and how many kms is divided by a median.

I know its sounds like a foolish question. But I am not very comfortable driving while facing traffic from the opposite side.
I need to do a Chennai-Tiruchy-Chennai trip sometime next week in a day.
NH-45 is the road connecting Chennai with Trichy and it was in excellent shape last December.I believe that 95% of the highway is 4-lane separated by a median. You might need to travel on two lane roads only within the Chennai city and in Trichy city.
Old 14th June 2010, 09:47   #69
Senior - BHPian

The road is four lane completely from Tambaram to Trichy.
You might face traffic from Chennai to Chengalpet after that the highway is excellent.
The toll is pretty high compared to Andhra Pradesh and the number of tollways are also at short distances.
Facing traffic in the opposite directions are always a problem sometimes bikes and tractors coming in the wrong directions.
Cattle is the main problem which is there in most of our highways
Old 9th August 2010, 20:52   #70
BHPian

Hi guys, what is the way out from trichi to tanjore. Considering its a city do i continue on NH 45 or take diversion somewhere. Planning a trip to trichi and Tanjore.

Any places to stop by in trichi....
Old 9th August 2010, 21:08   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyguru View Post
Hi guys, what is the way out from trichi to tanjore. Considering its a city do i continue on NH 45 or take diversion somewhere. Planning a trip to trichi and Tanjore.

Any places to stop by in trichi....
There is a dam near by tirchy which i visited 2 years back,will PM once i remember the name

other places are the temple on the mountain and pillair patti some 100 kms away from trichy
Old 9th August 2010, 21:55   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
There is a dam near by tirchy which i visited 2 years back,will PM once i remember the name
"Kallanai" or "Grand Anicut" is the name you want. AFAIK it is the oldest dam in the world that is still in use.

Grand Anicut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 31st August 2011, 18:56   #73
BHPian

Chennai -> Trichy Route and tips needed!

Dear TBHPians!

A Chennai - Trichy trip is planned starting this Saturday. I'm going this side after more than 10 years. I read through this thread and came to the conclusion that the route is great now. I'm planning to start at 06:30 AM from K. K. Nagar and reach Trichy by lunch time say 01:00 PM. I'm expecting to cross the Chengelpet toll gate by 08:00 AM.

I'm looking for some upto date answers and tips:

1- What are the diversions, bypass closures etc.? I also want to skip Srirangam and enter Trichy directly, so can someone list the complete route please?

2-- Booked rooms at Hotel Ramyas after reading a few reviews. How's this place and how do I reach this?

3- And I read a horror post in this thread about someone trying to steal a car from Hotel Femina. Any precautions I should take? I enquired for car park, and they said they had the car park in the hotel compound but it is not a covered car park.

4- Any monsoon related updates?

5) If I am allowed to extend the original intent of this thread without going too much off-topic, what's the shortest route from Trichy -> Karaikudi and back? Distance, time etc.?

Gratitude, as always!
Old 31st August 2011, 20:07   #74
BHPian

re: Chennai - Trichy : Route Queries

Hi ssh1979,

The Roads are excellent throughout the route.

That is my favourite route and there are almost no official diversions anywhere. But you still need to be aware of any moron who will drive on the wrong side.

If going that side after 10 years, then remember that there is no need to divert at Ulundurpet for Trichy. The road leads to the Ulundurpet bye pass which leads to Trichy (You need to get into ulundurpet, if going to Salem in this direction).

You can reach Trichy comfortably by 4 to 4 30 hrs, if you maintain a fair speed.

Sorry no idea about hotels at Trichy.

Keep to the left side of the Highway, when nearing Tiruvanaikovil, after samayapuram. This will lead straight to the Bye-pass over the Thanjavur road junction and towards Ponmalai and leading to the TVS Tollgate. Take the flyover at this junction and while coming down, take the exit from the bridge and take a right turn under it, which will lead you straight to Trichy Central Bus stand.

Food options:

Acharapakkam - Decent hotels (but if travelling with ladies and want to use the toilet, pls avoid.).

Tindivanam - Motel Highway on the same direction and Hotel Aryas on the Right side (Need to take a "u" turn to reach Aryas at the diversion to enter Tindivanam)

Villipuram: Hotel Woodlands inside Villipuram. Another of the Aryabhavan at the other end of the Bye pass.

Ulundurpet: Another of the "Arya"bhavan / nivas variants just after the Tollgate in the same direction.

Not much options after Ulundurpet. Can try in Thozudur, but need to get off the byepass and search.

The shortest route to Karaikudi seems to be the Trichy - Keeranur - Pudukottai - Karaikudi route, but have not travelled in this route. The Trichy - Keeranur section used to be very bad usually, maybe you can enquire with a taxi driver at the hotel .

Hope this helps
pugram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 22:34   #75
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai -> Trichy Route and tips needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post

2-- Booked rooms at Hotel Ramyas after reading a few reviews. How's this place and how do I reach this?

4- Any monsoon related updates?

5) If I am allowed to extend the original intent of this thread without going too much off-topic, what's the shortest route from Trichy -> Karaikudi and back? Distance, time etc.?

Gratitude, as always!
Hotel Ramyas is a very good option to stay inside trichy city, but with open car parking. But nothing much to worry IMO. Only problem is that it just near to central bus stand, so traffic will be higher in that area.

I was in Trichy last weekend, and roads are good and no impact due to monsoons. Infact, SW monsoon doesn't impact most of areas in Tamil Nadu.

Trichy-Keeranur-Pudukkottai-Karaikudi was good when i went last in Dec'2010, but to my knowledge the roads are good even now in NH210. If you start early from Trichy, you can reach easily in about 2 hrs time to cover about 90+ kms. Just watch out for truck traffic and be careful, as the roads are two lane throughout.

If you are interested, you can take a short break in Pudukkottai and see the famous Bhuvaneshwari amman temple. It won't take long time to see the temple as it is a very slight deviation on the way to Karaikudi. You can take the same route to return back to Trichy which is the shortest.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks