Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2010, 19:03   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
HVK thanks for the info.

Shivshanker, Kittur Rani Chanamma is almost after Hubli from mumbai to bangalore. I believe its on the intersection of NH4, NH63 and NH218. So whats the road or highway number from there to Goa?

Kittur is between Belgaum & Dharwad before Dharwad.
Old 29th August 2010, 19:10   #17
BHPian

Kittur is 21 Kms before Dharwad on the express way, I do not think either the 63 or the 218 are applicable
Old 29th August 2010, 19:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Okay thanks for the info shivshankaer and kiren I got confused with the Kittur Rani Chanamma circle. If Sahir Kittur reads this thread he will tell me the best route from belgaum to goa is via tilari ghat. And I'm sure he is right since someone has mentioned travelling on it recently.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 29th August 2010 at 19:15.
Old 11th April 2012, 09:46   #19
BHPian

Anyone driving from Mumbai to mangalore?? I'll be driving on 24th of April leaving Mumbai at 4.30am. Kindly update road conditions after kumta
Old 16th April 2012, 15:50   #20
BHPian

Re: Route to Mangalore from Thane / Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by docaxe View Post
Anyone driving from Mumbai to mangalore?? I'll be driving on 24th of April leaving Mumbai at 4.30am. Kindly update road conditions after kumta
Hi docaxe I will be driving down to Calicut (Kerala) on 22nd via Mangalore. Will let you know the road conditions then!
Old 14th January 2013, 01:29   #21

Mumbai Mangalore Route Options

Please suggest routes other than the closest viz. Mumbai - Hubli - Ankola - Kundapur - Udupi - Mangalore. Having read horrible reviews of the current state of the road (from Ankola to Mangalore), I was wondering if any alternative routes existing which help me cover the entire distance from Mumbai to Mangalore in a day.
Old 14th January 2013, 21:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Mangalore Route Options

Isn't it easier if you drive through Goa on NH 17 (now called 66)?

I recently drove from Mangalore to Goa and back. A few short stretches were being rebuilt. It should be fine now. A few bridges in Karnataka are in bad shape, as the tar put over the concrete has worn off.

Kundapur to Mangalore is an abandoned construction zone. Road quality is mostly good, but too much traffic on this stretch, as it passes continuously through cities and towns.
Old 14th January 2013, 22:13   #23
BHPian

There is no alternative to Ankola-Mangalore. The route that you have mentioned is defintely the shortest as far as time is concerned. Whether you can do it in a day or not really depends on what time you start from Mumbai and how much you can stretch yourself in a day. I think if you start at 4am from Mumbai, you should be in Mangalore by 9pm with about 3 breaks.
explorer09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 10:39   #24
BHPian

i did mumbai - surathkal non stop in mid December. Took me 16.5 hrs. Needless to say the Mumbai to Ankola drive was very smooth. All the pain started only after Ankola.
I covered Mumbai - Ankola in 12 hrs.

At mos places between Ankola and Udipi road resurfacing/construction was in full swing. Hopefully things should be better now.
@Chaand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 17:42   #25
BHPian

Did mumbai to mangalore on 4th jan left Mulund at 6am and reached mangalore at 9pm road from Ankola has now been resurfaced.
docaxe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 21:36   #26

That was useful... I was planning to leave at an unearthly hour of 4 myself. Did you travel upwards of 110-120 kmph an hour on the highway? I do not intend to travel faster than that under any circumstance.... So your average speed would help me estimate the time myself...

Please also let me know if there is a landmark on NH4 where I need to exit ahead of Hubli and catch the SH to Yellapur and NH63 (Mangalore-Goa)...
Old 17th January 2013, 22:19   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by docaxe View Post
Did mumbai to mangalore on 4th jan left Mulund at 6am and reached mangalore at 9pm road from Ankola has now been resurfaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Isn't it easier if you drive through Goa on NH 17 (now called 66)?

I recently drove from Mangalore to Goa and back. A few short stretches were being rebuilt. It should be fine now. A few bridges in Karnataka are in bad shape, as the tar put over the concrete has worn off.

Kundapur to Mangalore is an abandoned construction zone. Road quality is mostly good, but too much traffic on this stretch, as it passes continuously through cities and towns.
The Mumbai Goa stretch is painful to drive on account of the congestion... Although shorter in distance, it is a stressful drive owing to twists and turns all along the way...
Old 19th January 2013, 23:14   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbhat View Post
That was useful... I was planning to leave at an unearthly hour of 4 myself. Did you travel upwards of 110-120 kmph an hour on the highway? I do not intend to travel faster than that under any circumstance.... So your average speed would help me estimate the time myself...

Please also let me know if there is a landmark on NH4 where I need to exit ahead of Hubli and catch the SH to Yellapur and NH63 (Mangalore-Goa)...
It's best to leave mumbai before 5am to avoid rush hour traffic at mumbai n Pune. I was driving constant 100-120 .keep your breaks to a max of 25 minutes. The last stretch from Ankola to mangalore is a very busy road so will be tiring if you reach after dark
docaxe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 22:10   #29

Managed to traverse the distance in 16 hours with a break in between. Except for diversions on account of the ongoing four laning work, its a fairly comfortable drive all through.
Old 20th December 2013, 00:21   #30
BHPian

Anyone travelled this route in the recent past? Plan to travel to mangalore on 25th dec...leave mumbai at 4am..just update on road condition required

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks