Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2012, 09:27   #151
BHPian

Re: Coorg recommendations

Hi,

Are you travelling from Mumbai? If you reach Dubare by lunch and do not mind driving around the same day evening to Talacauvery and Raja Seat, its very much possible. You can visit the elephant camp next day morning (reach early) when the elephants are taken out for bath to the river and then leave by lunch after visiting the monastery.

It will be nice to drive from Madikkeri to Siddhapur if you can stay till evening on second day. A coffee at Orange county will be great too.

Cheers

VW
Old 12th April 2012, 14:47   #152
BANNED

hi,
I am travelling from Bangalore. I am planning a stay at Dubare elephant camp and next day tour to Coorg
Old 17th April 2012, 11:43   #153
BHPian

^^ I am also planning a trip to Coorg at the last weekend of April from Bangalore. If it is possible, can you please share your itinerary. I do not have much information about where to stay and what all places to visit. Would be nice to get an idea.
Old 17th April 2012, 13:02   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
^^ I am also planning a trip to Coorg at the last weekend of April from Bangalore. If it is possible, can you please share your itinerary. I do not have much information about where to stay and what all places to visit. Would be nice to get an idea.
Hi Ankan

Depending on your budget, please check out Mahindra Resorts. It's probably the best (perhaps after Orange County). Nice resort albeit far from town. Food and service is really good. They do have packages for non-members. My cousin and his family went there for a weekend recently (mid March'12) and got a deal for about 15K for 2 nights or something.

Places to visit: There's the "Rajah's Seat", Waterfalls, Temple and Coffee Estate that can be covered in less than half day. There's Dubare Elephant Camp, Monastery and another POI on this stretch that has the river and a kinda jungle walk - this would take a day. Then there's "Thala Cauvery" which would take half a day.
RoadTripper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 13:30   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You need minimum two full days - apart from driving days - to explore Coorg. There are lot of options to stay in Coorg depending on your budget. Orange county is the most expensive - i don't consider it VFM (have stayed couple of times). The best places to stay and experince Coorg are nice home stays and estate bungalows.

Take a look at home stays given the website below. You can call Sharath at 9480595888. I have used him couple of times and he is good

Homestays in Karnataka | Resorts in Karnataka | Homestays and Resorts in Malnad | Malnad Homestays

Also look at excellent estate bungalows of Tata Coffee's Plantation trails

Plantation Trails

Mahindra Homestays also have some excellent home stays in Coorg

Beautiful India homestay accommodation | Mahindra Homestays

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripper View Post
Hi Ankan

Depending on your budget, please check out Mahindra Resorts. It's probably the best (perhaps after Orange County). Nice resort albeit far from town. Food and service is really good. They do have packages for non-members. My cousin and his family went there for a weekend recently (mid March'12) and got a deal for about 15K for 2 nights or something.

Places to visit: There's the "Rajah's Seat", Waterfalls, Temple and Coffee Estate that can be covered in less than half day. There's Dubare Elephant Camp, Monastery and another POI on this stretch that has the river and a kinda jungle walk - this would take a day. Then there's "Thala Cauvery" which would take half a day.
Club Mahindra is excellent and their food is very good. If some one likes to have a quiet holiday, i dont recommend this place - i am a Club mahindra member - which is good for families.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 09:06   #156
BHPian

Google map says that the route to Madikeri from B'lore is B'lore --> Mysore --> Hunsur --> Periyapatna --> Kushalnagar --> Madikeri

Is this the best route to go to Madikeri? Any guide to the current road conditions please.
Old 18th April 2012, 09:39   #157
Senior - BHPian

Honey pot homestay Honeypothomes, Coorg homestay, Coorg homestays and Coorg hotels :: Home

very cosy, hospitable owners. They do a night walk in the plantation to spot flying squirrels! in season.
Old 18th April 2012, 10:15   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Google map says that the route to Madikeri from B'lore is B'lore --> Mysore --> Hunsur --> Periyapatna --> Kushalnagar --> Madikeri

Is this the best route to go to Madikeri? Any guide to the current road conditions please.
I followed the same route when I was at Coorg last week. Roads are good, mostly.
Much has been said about various tourist attractions in and around Madikeri. All are good except Abbey falls. Road to Abbey falls is very bad. And traffic makes it worse. ANd when I saw the falls, I was disappointed. Its not worth it.
Do visit Talacauveri. The road to Talacauveri from Madikeri is excellent. Nature at its full bloom. You'll love to drive.
One more thing, while climbing up towards Talacauveri, you'll find a outlet selling honey, spices,etc (HONEYDEW or something). Don't buy anything from there. Highly overpriced and not so good quality.
Decent stay is available for all budgets. Spend less on accomodation, as most of the time you'll be out, IMO.
Enjoy your vacation.
nozzlering is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 11:08   #159
BHPian

Quote:

You could bypass Mysore by taking a right immediately after Srirangapattana and join back the Mysore-Hunsur road.

Prasad
Old 19th April 2012, 09:29   #160
BHPian

What is the feedback of the team on Hotel Rajdarshan at Madikeri (the hotel has a very good rating on Trip Advisor)?

What maximum temperature can one expect at Madikeri during mid-May?

Thanks!
Old 19th April 2012, 10:32   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
What is the feedback of the team on Hotel Rajdarshan at Madikeri (the hotel has a very good rating on Trip Advisor)?

What maximum temperature can one expect at Madikeri during mid-May?

Thanks!
Any reason for staying in Hotel and in the mddle of town? The cahrm of coorg is staying in homestays. Think about it.

It has rained in Coorg for last couple of days which has brought down temperatures. For Hyderabad man, this should be like air conditioned place. The max temperature in Madikeri now is around 29 and it drops to pleasant 19 by evening. Expect some humidity.
Old 19th April 2012, 16:32   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Any reason for staying in Hotel and in the mddle of town? The cahrm of coorg is staying in homestays. Think about it.

It has rained in Coorg for last couple of days which has brought down temperatures. For Hyderabad man, this should be like air conditioned place. The max temperature in Madikeri now is around 29 and it drops to pleasant 19 by evening. Expect some humidity.
Need to stay in town due to kid. So, any feedback on the hotel?

Will it be max 29 in mid May?
Old 19th April 2012, 17:03   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Need to stay in town due to kid. So, any feedback on the hotel?

Will it be max 29 in mid May?
In mid-May, it will feel more like 39 . Expect hot and humid days, followed by late afternoon showers and humid nights.

P.S - Raj Darshan - if this is the hotel opposite Raja Seat in Madikeri town, I have heard good reviews about this place, but the only problem is it is overcrowded. I have been here for meals, and I can assure you a minimum waiting time of 1 hour to get your food. That aside, you may have to book well in advance for a room in that place.

Like Fauji says, in Madikeri, you can actually consider a homestay rather than a regular run-of-the-mill hotel room. There are tons of homestays near the town at various budget points, so if you are worried about supplies for your kid, etc, the homestay owners will be more than accomodating to get you anything you would want. The experience at an estate homestay amidst the greenery is incomparable to staying in a dull hotel room here. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by KarthikK : 19th April 2012 at 17:16.
Old 19th April 2012, 17:33   #164
Senior - BHPian

One advice for Coorg travellers: Dont go there during rains! The best time to visit Coorg (as told by our host when we were there) is February (when they have flowers in the coffee plants and whole valley turns white - giving an impression that it had snowed there!!) and November (when coffee plants get new seeds which are red in color so the whole valley turns red!)

Unfortunately we went there in Aug and it was raining all the time. Couldnt explore anything at all.

The best staying option is the homestays. We stayed at Kedakal estate that was No. 2 on tripadvisor at that time. They are good and recommended (they have a usable swimming pool and Quad bikes as well) The food in that part of Karnataka is simply awesome! Much much better than anything you have in Bangalore! The food prepared by our hosts at Kedakal is the best I have tasted outside of my home!
Old 19th April 2012, 21:22   #165
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you plan to stay in the heart of town near Rajah Seat (where Raj Darshan is located) you can consider the KSTDC owned Hotel Mayura Valley View that also has ample parking space.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks