Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:45   #196
BHPian

Re: Coorg recommendations

Thanx Prasad. In fact Siddapura. Would it be better to go via Kasargod ?
Old 6th June 2012, 18:06   #197
Senior - BHPian

We four friends are planning a weekend trip to Coorg. Could you please reccomend a good accomodation/Homestay in Madikeri or any other convenient location? Total budget for 2 days = 10K

Last edited by Latheesh : 6th June 2012 at 18:07.
Old 6th June 2012, 20:20   #198
BHPian

Welcome to Explorecoorg

This homestay is very good; I have personally stayed here a month ago.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 23:20   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
We four friends are planning a weekend trip to Coorg. Could you please reccomend a good accomodation/Homestay in Madikeri or any other convenient location? Total budget for 2 days = 10K
My pick would be The Palace Estate if you crave for peace and harmony with Nature. The place has restrictions ( e.g. no alcohol etc ), but a great place otherwise. I do not know if you are traveling from Kannur or BLR ( Perhaps not the most convenient place to get to if you are driving from Bangalore esp the last few kms unless things have changed since October last ).
Old 30th July 2012, 16:21   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning a trip to Coorg mid-August. Just was wondering how does this concept of Homestay works as i never stayed in one.

Does the price/head include the accomodation and meals price? Will they cook food as per our wish? What is the typical pricing per head per day?

Can someone recommend some decent homestays to experience coorg as this will be our first trip to this place.
Old 30th July 2012, 17:10   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Planning a trip to Coorg mid-August. Just was wondering how does this concept of Homestay works as i never stayed in one.

Does the price/head include the accomodation and meals price? Will they cook food as per our wish? What is the typical pricing per head per day?

Can someone recommend some decent homestays to experience coorg as this will be our first trip to this place.
We were there at the same time last year. It's typically a bit wet at that time. We stayed at -

Facilities

It was very good - food was extra but very inexpensive compared to other places.
apr10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 17:24   #202
BHPian

Quote:

Homestay is preferred mode of stay for me when I travel with family. When I traveled earlier this year, stayed in 'Alpen Glow' home stay. The owners (Anant & Jayashree) were very hospitable and we had a very very pleasant experience with them. Good part is that we get to stay in their own house and they share a floor of their house or the guest bedroom.

Their package included breakfast (which by the way was delicious) and cost 1500 per day per couple which can include a kid. You can call the owners for further details. If you need lunch or dinner, you need to inform them at least 2hrs earlier giving them time to prepare. (by the way, its hard to find good restaurants in the coorg town and we thought its better to have lunch and dinner at their place) and its charged separately.

Remember, they prepare the meal as per their wish and not custom made for us and its a simple one and strictly vegetarian.

EDIT: Link to the homestay.

http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Revi...Karnataka.html

Last edited by flyingkolors : 30th July 2012 at 17:25.
flyingkolors is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 17:57   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Their package included breakfast (which by the way was delicious) and cost 1500 per day per couple which can include a kid. You can call the owners for further details. If you need lunch or dinner, you need to inform them at least 2hrs earlier giving them time to prepare. (by the way, its hard to find good restaurants in the coorg town and we thought its better to have lunch and dinner at their place) and its charged separately.

Remember, they prepare the meal as per their wish and not custom made for us and its a simple one and strictly vegetarian.
Thanks. However, strict veggie meal could be the deal breaker here. However, i am looking at similar budgets of Rs.1500-Rs.2000 per day type of homestays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr10 View Post
It was very good - food was extra but very inexpensive compared to other places.
Great. Can you indicate what price you paid when you visited this homestay?
Old 30th July 2012, 18:15   #204

[QUOTE Great. Can you indicate what price you paid when you visited this homestay?[/quote]

I believe I paid around 4500 per day which included breakfast.
Old 30th July 2012, 18:25   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. However, strict veggie meal could be the deal breaker here. However, i am looking at similar budgets of Rs.1500-Rs.2000 per day type of homestays.
Well, you can still stay at the place with the complimentary breakfast that's part of the package.

And for lunch and dinner you can have it outside in a place were non-veg is available.
Old 31st July 2012, 13:06   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A homestay is nothing but a place where people who have homes let other people stay over as guests while charging a fee for the same. Usually, you stay in a room within the house while the owners also stay in the same house. Food is cooked from the same kitchen and you will be allowed to use whatever facilities the owners have in their houses. The pricing generally includes 3 meals in the per head price. As for cooking according to your wish, it depends on homestay to homestay. Some owners might oblige, some might not. Remember, it is not a restaurant, so it will be difficult. Be sure to enquire about the food before you decide.

All the above factor differ from place to place. Some homestays offer separate cottages for guests while some do not.Some charge extra for meals, activities etc. Just be sure to check with the owners on inclusions.

I leave it for others to suggest places for you. Hope this helps
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 13:37   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you all for your prompt responses. Due to some developments on official and personal account, my trip to coorg stands cancelled.

Hope to do this trip sometime before end of this year.

Thanks again guys !!!
Old 9th August 2012, 16:06   #208
BHPian

avi, i am doing blr-coorg-malpe-blr sarting this saturday. staying at silver oaks in coorge. i will post the review once i am back.
Old 9th August 2012, 16:25   #209
Senior - BHPian

Dont forget to visit "Coorg Cuisine". pretty good Kodava food!
Old 12th September 2012, 12:32   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
Temperature wont be in the high 30's. It will be around the 30' mark during the day time, but since the hills are at a higher altitude, the heat would be more. After 4pm the hills will cool down.

The website you mentioned lists over a 100 homestays. Its always best to stay at a known place.

The roads are good all the way upto Madikeri town. The bumpy roads start inside town limits.
All,

My earlier plan to travel during summer never went thru . I went to Ooty last month actually. Now I will need to plan for a Dec End trip (from Dec 24 to 31).
We would be having 4-5 families in the group. What would be the ideal stay option. All of them are veggies with the occasional chickenitarian

What would be the best option for stay and also how are the roads to travel from Chennai. (CHN-Mysore is well known anyways).

Gyan please !!

Note from Mod : Please DO NOT discuss alcohol on the forum. Read the rules before proceeding. Next time will attract infraction !!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 13th September 2012 at 12:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks