Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2014, 20:46   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Coorg recommendations

Here is my Madikeri - Bangalore route update:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3497205

Approach road to Taj Coorg is really bad!
Old 12th August 2014, 00:36   #332

Hi guys,
I am driving down to coorg with an infant from mumbai later this week. Please advise on the road condition, weather and rains in particular. Will it be cold there?
Any additional suggestions are most welcome.
Old 12th August 2014, 07:33   #333
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingDreamz View Post
Hi guys,
I am driving down to coorg with an infant from mumbai later this week. Please advise on the road condition, weather and rains in particular. Will it be cold there?
It will be a touch cold, thanks to rains. Please carry warm clothes for the infant. Temperature can vary quite heavily over the hills. Hence always good to carry warm clothes.
Old 12th August 2014, 08:34   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,
Lots and lots of rains but it is not that cold. Take care of fuel and food before you exit Bangalore-Mangalore highway. Coorg region is full of ghat sections so drive with caution, avoid night driving and budget sufficient travel time. What is the route you are taking so members can help you with road conditions?
Old 12th August 2014, 11:32   #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Lots and lots of rains but it is not that cold. Take care of fuel and food before you exit Bangalore-Mangalore highway. Coorg region is full of ghat sections so drive with caution, avoid night driving and budget sufficient travel time. What is the route you are taking so members can help you with road conditions?
I am going to take the following route with overnight halt at Hubli and reach coorg next day.

Route: Mumbai -> Hiriyur -> Huliyar -> Neligere -> Nagamangala -> Pandavpura -> Srinrangapatna -> Hunsur -> Gonikoppal -> Virajpet -> Kabinakkad Junction
Old 12th August 2014, 13:02   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am going to take the following route with overnight halt at Hubli and reach coorg next day.

Route: Mumbai -> Hiriyur -> Huliyar -> Neligere -> Nagamangala -> Pandavpura -> Srinrangapatna -> Hunsur -> Gonikoppal -> Virajpet -> Kabinakkad Junction
Hubli to Kabinakkad is a bit long for a day's journey, especially you have ghats+jungle towards the end of your journey. My suggestion would be try to reach as close to Hiriyur as possible before halting as it is easier to drive on Blr-Mumbai highway than interior roads. Assume 40kmph as the average speed you can do on these interior roads.

That seems like longer route? Any particular reason you picked that route instead of say: Huliyar - Hassan - Somwarpet - Madikeri - Kabinakkad Jn? I don't know these routes, just curious.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 01:37   #337

Quote:
Hubli to Kabinakkad is a bit long for a day's journey, especially you have ghats+jungle towards the end of your journey. My suggestion would be try to reach as close to Hiriyur as possible before halting as it is easier to drive on Blr-Mumbai highway than interior roads. Assume 40kmph as the average speed you can do on these interior roads.

That seems like longer route? Any particular reason you picked that route instead of say: Huliyar - Hassan - Somwarpet - Madikeri - Kabinakkad Jn? I don't know these routes, just curious.
Ampere suggested this route which I have relied upon. it seems there are some bad roads in that patch somewhere. I am not sure though. How is the current road condition on the route you are suggesting to take?

@Ampere, can you please suggest which route to take? I am confused now.
Old 13th August 2014, 08:40   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ampere suggested this route which I have relied upon. it seems there are some bad roads in that patch somewhere. I am not sure though. How is the current road condition on the route you are suggesting to take?

Go with what @Ampere suggested, he knows his stuff. I have no clue about these roads :-) Just be realistic with how much you can cover in a day - since you are travelling with an infant, etc. try to cover the Coorg region before it gets dark.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 08:50   #339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Go with what @Ampere suggested, he knows his stuff. I have no clue about these roads :-) Just be realistic with how much you can cover in a day - since you are travelling with an infant, etc. try to cover the Coorg region before it gets dark.
The reason I suggested the Mysore option is because, DrivingDreamz has an infant on board. Hence they may need more places to break on the way. And the Hiriyur-Huliyar-Neligere-Srirangapatna is also very good and without any confusion.

If you can find your way easily, then what androdev says is true. A modified version of his suggestion would work well:

Hiriyur-Huliyar-Neligere-Channarayapatna-Holenarasipur-Ramnathpura-Somwarpet-Madikeri

- At Neligere you hit NH48. (Bangalore-Mangalore NH48)
- Continue on this 4-lane till Channarayapatna. Exit the 4-lane. Get into the town and take the road to Holenarasipur.
- Between Neligere and CR Patna, you have CCD and some hotels for breaks as well.
- Beyond Holenarasipur, the roads are as what androdev mentioned.

Route : Link

Last edited by ampere : 13th August 2014 at 08:59.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 08:53   #340
BHPian

Quote:

In the Hunsur -> Gonikoppal -> Virajpet stretch, you will hit a 8.5kms of bad roads. In the first 5.5kms you will be able to drive very easily, the surface is smooth and level. But the next 3kms are like moon surface due to the recent rain. There is no big potholes, but the road will test your patience and suspension..!!

I have traveled through this section over last weekend
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 17:45   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The reason I suggested the Mysore option is because, DrivingDreamz has an infant on board. Hence they may need more places to break on the way. And the Hiriyur-Huliyar-Neligere-Srirangapatna is also very good and without any confusion.

If you can find your way easily, then what androdev says is true. A modified version of his suggestion would work well:

Hiriyur-Huliyar-Neligere-Channarayapatna-Holenarasipur-Ramnathpura-Somwarpet-Madikeri

- At Neligere you hit NH48. (Bangalore-Mangalore NH48)
- Continue on this 4-lane till Channarayapatna. Exit the 4-lane. Get into the town and take the road to Holenarasipur.
- Between Neligere and CR Patna, you have CCD and some hotels for breaks as well.
- Beyond Holenarasipur, the roads are as what androdev mentioned.

Route : Link
How does this route compare to the route that you had suggested earlier (via mysore) in terms of -
1. Road quality condition
2. Driving time
3. No. of lanes

Prima facie, it does not look to be very difficult to understand but it seems this more of a ghat stretch compared to the via mysore route, is it?

I also remember reading somewhere that the Holenarasipur-Arkalgud-Somwarpet stretch is not very good. Is it?
Old 13th August 2014, 19:11   #342
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Road quality condition
2. Driving time
3. No. of lanes
- Decent quality roads with bad stretches in between
- You may be able to save an hour. (Again it depends)
- All 2-lane roads.

Quote:
Prima facie, it does not look to be very difficult to understand but it seems this more of a ghat stretch compared to the via mysore route, is it?
I also remember reading somewhere that the Holenarasipur-Arkalgud-Somwarpet stretch is not very good. Is it?
Not any major ghat roads. Basically you need to get the sequence of towns right without loosing way in between. If you can mange that correctly you should be able to take this road. The option via Mysore ring road is about 70-80 km more.
Old 14th August 2014, 01:49   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Decent quality roads with bad stretches in between
- You may be able to save an hour. (Again it depends)
- All 2-lane roads.
From what I can gather so far, the mysore ring road route I would face only 9-10 km patch of bad roads in the hunsur-virajpet stretch whereas in the alternate route that is being suggested has more bad strtched in between. Given that I think I would go ahead via mysore ring road.

Quote:
Not any major ghat roads. Basically you need to get the sequence of towns right without loosing way in between. If you can mange that correctly you should be able to take this road. The option via Mysore ring road is about 70-80 km more.
I have so far added in my cell GPS all the inbetween pit stops right from mumbai till my destination. I can add there places as well as a back up option.
Old 14th September 2014, 23:02   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Can anyone suggest some good options for a 2 day stay in coorg? Either home stay or resort. Budget is around 2K-3K. Its for 2 families with 4 Kids in total.
Old 14th September 2014, 23:25   #345
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Can anyone suggest some good options for a 2 day stay in coorg? Either home stay or resort. Budget is around 2K-3K. Its for 2 families with 4 Kids in total.
See this. Looks like a nice place.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-virajpet.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks