Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2014, 09:54   #376
Team-BHP Support

Planning to drive to Coorg on the last week of this month for an overnighter. Plan is to start early from Bangalore (4am or 5am depending on breakfast points and availability), visit one or two must-see places on the way and reach the homestay post lunch.

Relax till next day morning. Visit Raja's seat for sunrise view. Checkout from the homestay after breakfast and head to Bangalore. Would be visiting Bylakuppe while coming back.

Any must-see places recommended in Coorg? Dubare Elephant camp is a no go since we have a friend travelling along and the last time we visited and elephant camp - she started crying telling elephants are tortured.

Also what are my best options for breakfast while going? I read Cafe Coorg might be one choice. This would be my first Coorg visit but I've been to cafe Coorg before and found it decent.

Accommodation confirmed with VV as per the recommendations on this thread.
Old 27th November 2014, 10:59   #377
BHPian

Re: Coorg recommendations

Am planning to drive to Coorg soon after Christmas.

One problem we have is that we shall be taking our toilet-trained pug along, so instead of calling all the resorts I thought it would be more convenient to simply ask here. Could someone recommend some good resorts/home-stays which accommodate a dog?

Since I have never been to Coorg, could someone also advise me whether it makes sense to go there in the dead of winter? If not, any other suggestions for a getaway from Bangalore?

Some years back, I remember reading about a resort that Team-BHP members were raving about, away from Coorg somewhere towards Kasargod accessible via a bad condition dirt road and in the middle of a jungle, but for the life in me I can't remember the name of that resort or find those posts. If someone remembers the name, please do let me know.
Old 27th November 2014, 17:20   #378
BHPian

Hello folks!
I'm gonna be leaving for Virajpet and Madikeri this Sunday morning.
Need advice on the road conditions. Will be taking Mysore road. How are the road conditions after Hunsur till Virajpet? I will be staying at Club Mahindra, Virajpet. It will be a convoy of 3 cars with lots of luggage. Please advise accordingly.

P.S: I will be taking my sparely used Ecosport which has clocked just 18xx kms in the last 5 months. Is it cool if i keep the rpm below 3k while still doing good speeds of around 110?

Also, any idea about the weather conditions? Should I pack some warm clothes?

Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 08:45   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
Hello folks!
I'm gonna be leaving for Virajpet and Madikeri this Sunday morning.
Need advice on the road conditions. Will be taking Mysore road. How are the road conditions after Hunsur till Virajpet? I will be staying at Club Mahindra, Virajpet. It will be a convoy of 3 cars with lots of luggage. Please advise accordingly.

P.S: I will be taking my sparely used Ecosport which has clocked just 18xx kms in the last 5 months. Is it cool if i keep the rpm below 3k while still doing good speeds of around 110?

Also, any idea about the weather conditions? Should I pack some warm clothes?

Thanks
Good rods but with lots of speedbreakers all the way till Madikeri. Madikeri to ClubMahindra is bad.
Any modern day diesel should be fine after a setting period of 1500km. So you are fine but still if you want, no harm in keeping it <3k. Anyway good luck in going past 110 in this stretch😊
Old 28th November 2014, 10:05   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Good rods but with lots of speedbreakers all the way till Madikeri. Madikeri to ClubMahindra is bad.
I don't think we need to go to Madikeri for reaching Virajpet. You can take left deviation after Hunsur (~1.5Km after Hunsur) towards Gonikoppal - Virajpet. Roads are good except for a 5-6Km untarred road. No issues with this stretch, you do it in any car.

Last edited by RajeshK : 28th November 2014 at 10:11.
Old 28th November 2014, 11:33   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
I don't think we need to go to Madikeri for reaching Virajpet. You can take left deviation after Hunsur (~1.5Km after Hunsur) towards Gonikoppal - Virajpet. Roads are good except for a 5-6Km untarred road. No issues with this stretch, you do it in any car.
My bad somehow my mind registered it as CM Madikeri. Yes you could take Gonikoppal route or Kushalnagar/Siddapura in which case the roads are excellent throughout.
Old 30th November 2014, 00:35   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway good luck in going past 110 in this stretch😊
Thanks for your response!
This is the max speed I tend to achieve depending on roads, but I seriously doubt it. On the Mysore highway maybe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Thank you Rajesh!
I think I'll take the Hunsur-Kushalnagar-Siddapura route as I came to know it's in good condition and also quite scenic

Quote:
My bad somehow my mind registered it as CM Madikeri. Yes you could take Gonikoppal route or Kushalnagar/Siddapura in which case the roads are excellent throughout.
So immediately after Kushalnagar I take a left and head straight right? I think this is a bit longer but I will most probably take it
Old 30th November 2014, 11:12   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your response!
This is the max speed I tend to achieve depending on roads, but I seriously doubt it. On the Mysore highway maybe.
Even the Mysore-Madikeri road also has a lot of humps, I have run over some while driving in the night!

Quote:
So immediately after Kushalnagar I take a left and head straight right? I think this is a bit longer but I will most probably take it
Yes, you go past Kushalnagar town and then take a left turn - This is the road that leads to Dubare elephant camp. Kushalanagar-Siddapura-Ammathi-Virajpet. In Virajpet, take the road that goes to Madikeri. When you drive about 6-7kms, you will go past an old bridge, right after that you have to take a left turn. Directions are marked though. This road however is in bad shape.
Old 5th December 2014, 08:02   #384
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Accommodation confirmed with VV as per the recommendations on this thread.
Victorian Verandaz turned out to be a nice experience, and we only spent time there. Did not visit any of the so-called tourist spots. Food was delicious and had that home made touch, while the hosts themselves were very friendly. Didnt think we would be spending so much of time just talking to them! They just have two rooms along with their family home.

One important advice to all who are planning to visit this place - DO NOT follow google maps. Call the owners and ask for directions. Google maps took us on a 45 mins jeep trail inside a coffee estate. Thank god for the 185mm clearance on the Punto, but still managed to hit the underbody few times. All this when there is a neat tarred road available on the other side of the estate!

Coorg recommendations-img_2034_800.jpg

Coorg recommendations-img_2032_800.jpg

PS - Its a homestay, and not a resort / hotel. Expectations should be on those levels.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th December 2014 at 08:05.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 11:27   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Victorian Verandaz turned out to be a nice experience
Could you please share the room rates, I am unable to find their website for details.
Old 5th December 2014, 14:09   #386

Next year I'm getting married for the very first time and I'm planning to go to Coorg as my honeymoon destination.I have some concerns like :-

1. What about a newly wed couples privacy and safety?

2. Being a tamil guy in Chennai, Can I manage to communicate in English/Hindi in Coorg? Or I should I know kannada?

3. There are always some tensions/problems between KA and TN governments (I don't believe its between people), should I take any precaution?

4. What would be the average whether in the months of sep/oct/nov ? I absolutely love harsh and heavy rains/fog/due.

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th December 2014, 15:29   #387
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinotys View Post
Next year I'm getting married for the very first time and I'm planning to go to Coorg as my honeymoon destination.I have some concerns like :-

2. Being a tamil guy in Chennai, Can I manage to communicate in English/Hindi in Coorg? Or I should I know kannada?

3. There are always some tensions/problems between KA and TN governments (I don't believe its between people), should I take any precaution?

4. What would be the average whether in the months of sep/oct/nov ? I absolutely love harsh and heavy rains/fog/due.

Thanks in advance.
Congratulations!

1- There are many options where you can have good privacy and good thing about Coorg it is still relatively less spoiled by influence of tourism. One of the safest destination provided you do your shortlisting properly.

2- Yes you can should not be an issue.

3- Naah ground reality is absolutely fine.

4- Sep onwards rains will start reducing and usually by Oct middle it will be sunny during days. But can become really nippy at night.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 15:31   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Next year I'm getting married for the very first time
Congrats!

Quote:
I been to Coorg thrice. Have felt the place safer than few other tourist locations.

Quote:
Absolutely no issues.

Quote:
Yes. There was issues earlier, and usually there are flare ups during summer times due to Kaveri water sharing issues. Though I dont recollect any issues in Coorg or for tourists you may have to drive through problem areas when traveling. For that you keep a look out for news reports around your travel dates.

However, if your concern is traveling through KA in general I would suggest not to worry.

Quote:
Sep may have rains on few days, by Oct rains will stop and winter will start in Nov.

However usually after Diwali, tourist seasons start in all tourist locations. Hence crowd will be more as you approach towards year end.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 16:02   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Congratulations!

1- There are many options where you can have good privacy and good thing about Coorg it is still relatively less spoiled by influence of tourism. One of the safest destination provided you do your shortlisting properly.

2- Yes you can should not be an issue.

3- Naah ground reality is absolutely fine.

4- Sep onwards rains will start reducing and usually by Oct middle it will be sunny during days. But can become really nippy at night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Congrats!

I been to Coorg thrice. Have felt the place safer than few other tourist locations.

Absolutely no issues.

Yes. There was issues earlier, and usually there are flare ups during summer times due to Kaveri water sharing issues. Though I dont recollect any issues in Coorg or for tourists you may have to drive through problem areas when traveling. For that you keep a look out for news reports around your travel dates.

However, if your concern is traveling through KA in general I would suggest not to worry.

Sep may have rains on few days, by Oct rains will stop and winter will start in Nov.

However usually after Diwali, tourist seasons start in all tourist locations. Hence crowd will be more as you approach towards year end.
Thank you soo much @Jaggu and @mpksuhas

Previously I know Coorg as a hill station tourist spot but knew nothing more than that.But a few years back I happened to see a song from a tamil movie and was spellbound seeing the location.Then I found out that Its Coorg
Old 5th December 2014, 19:28   #390
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Previously I know Coorg as a hill station tourist spot but knew nothing more than that.But a few years back I happened to see a song from a tamil movie and was spellbound seeing the location.Then I found out that Its Coorg
The two best places from a hotel point of view:
- Tamara
- Taj Vivanta.

Take your pick. You wont go wrong with either of them.

Congrats.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks