Old 1st August 2015, 18:43   #496
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Coorg recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
^^

Thanks a lot, NPV.

After some reshuffling of dates, I am able to get accommodation in Club Mahindra and Windflower. Among these two, which one will be the preferred one? Windflower is slightly costlier (15-20%) but seems like a better option to me.
Should I go ahead with Windflower?
Sorry I haven't stayed at either Club Mahindra or Windflower so can't comment.
Try to visit the Tibetan monastery on the way to Coorg on Day 1. You can then do an early morning visit to Dubare on Day 2 but you will come down towards Kushalnagar for that. This is if you want to try the Elephant bathing routine else visit on Day 1 after the monastery visit.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 19:27   #497
Senior - BHPian

No problems ..
I got a good deal at Club Mahindra. booked there for 3 nights for 4 days. I guess that should give us enough time to explore Coorg.
Hopefully, it will live up to expectations.

My plan as I said is to cover - Madnadalpatty & Kotey Abbey falls, Tibetan monastery , Raja seat.
Also, I plan to take some plantations walk or explore any options where a 4*4 can take us to relatively less crowded places.

I am open to ideas about other attractions.

I will be probably driving down from Hyderabad. I plan to halt at Mysore for a night or 2 to check out the palace, zoo, Chamunda hills etc.

Last edited by adimicra : 1st August 2015 at 19:44.
Old 4th August 2015, 12:32   #498
BHPian

I have been to number of homestays around Coorg. This time I had to take my partner on a surprise birthday celebrations. Although broke, I thought of making it a memorable one for her

So I decided to go to Tamara Coorg. Quite an exceptional place for couples & also quite heavy on the pockets. Resort is on top of the hill & far from the main city. Hence it would be difficult to go around seeing different places in the neighborhood. I would highly recommend this for couples who want to spend some quality time together & simultaneously loosen those purse strings

Route - 260+ kms from Bengaluru. You need to take the route via Gonikoppal then Virajpet. You will pass Club mahindra resort.

Note :- Children above 12yrs are only allowed in the resort. Mainly because of the altitude it is situated in.
RedDevil_KP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 18:05   #499
BHPian

Hello All !

Planning to drive down to Coorg from Pune during Diwali vacations.
Is it okay if I drive upto Hiriyur on NH4 and then divert? Is it advisable to use Hiriyur - Huliyar - Hassan - Madikeri route? How much time will it take from Hiriyur to Madikeri. I have estimated 6 hours.

I will be the solo driver and am intending to complete the drive in 14-15 hours. Is it possible? I have had previous experience of around 1000 kms in a day, so thinking of trying.

Thanks in advance
AB
Old 4th September 2015, 18:15   #500
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
Planning to drive down to Coorg from Pune during Diwali vacations.
Is it okay if I drive upto Hiriyur on NH4 and then divert? Is it advisable to use Hiriyur - Huliyar - Hassan - Madikeri route? How much time will it take from Hiriyur to Madikeri. I have estimated 6 hours.
Route if you can do in a single drive:

Pune-Hiriyur-Huliyar-Neligere-CR Patna - Holenarasipur - Somwarpet - Shanivarsanthe-Madikeri.

You dont need to go till Hassan.

Now as to if it can be done one day: I would say drive till Hubli on day zero, by starting late. Second day start early and drive to Madikeri at leisure. (Its still 550 km on day one)
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 12:49   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Route if you can do in a single drive:

Pune-Hiriyur-Huliyar-Neligere-CR Patna - Holenarasipur - Somwarpet - Shanivarsanthe-Madikeri.

You dont need to go till Hassan.

Now as to if it can be done one day: I would say drive till Hubli on day zero, by starting late. Second day start early and drive to Madikeri at leisure. (Its still 550 km on day one)
Thanks a lot bro !

I have decided to extend my vacation by 3 days. So I included a coastal place as well.
So the new plan is looking as follows: I have mentioned the hotel names too.

Day 1 : Pune - Murudeshwar. (RNS residency on the sea front)
Day 2 : Start leisurely, reach Madikeri by 5 PM (Mangalore by-pass info if any will be appreciated)
Day 3 - Day 6 : In and around the district.( Some home stay, preferably silver oak's)
Day 7: Madikeri - Kolhapur ( Sayaji)
Day 8: Start leisurely after Goddess Mahalakshmi darshan, and reach Pune around 8 PM

Hope this turns out to be a feasible plan.

Cheers
AB
Old 11th September 2015, 15:55   #502

Hello Fellow Motorheads,

The wife and I are planning on an anniversary stay for 4 days and 3 nights at Club Mahindra Virajpet. I am planning on coming in to Banglore from Chennai on a Sunday night and begin my 4 day vacation from Monday till Thursday. Am thinking of renting a car and was wondering if a Nano will get the job done. It's just the wife and I and luggage for 4 days. The price leap from Nano to Figo is quite significant, but not unaffordable.

Also any suggested comfortable routes from Bangalore for a non-local would be greatly appreciated. For now relying only on the good graces of Google, it looks like I will be taking the Mysore Road and bypassing it @ Srirangapatna (BLR >Srirangapatna >Hunsur >Gonikoppal >Virajpet).

Or should I be taking some other route? The extent of my comfortable highway driving experience so far is Pondicherry to Chennai via ECR (150 KMs door to door) and please take that into consideration.

Thanks as always and keep on motoring!
Old 11th September 2015, 17:44   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystryker View Post
Srirangapatna (BLR >Srirangapatna >Hunsur >Gonikoppal >Virajpet).
No issues in taking Nano. Yes, the route mentioned by you is the easiest.
Also, do note that there are two Club Mahindra's in Coorg. Make sure you are taking direction to the correct one.
Great trip!!
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 17:51   #504

Yay! Thanks. It is the Club Mahindra @ Virajpet. Cashing in on a company sponsored perk here. Hopefully I can take some good pictures and post a travelogue here.
Old 11th September 2015, 20:09   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Fellow Motorheads,

The wife and I are planning on an anniversary stay for 4 days and 3 nights at Club Mahindra Virajpet. I am planning on coming in to Banglore from Chennai on a Sunday night and begin my 4 day vacation from Monday till Thursday. Am thinking of renting a car and was wondering if a Nano will get the job done. It's just the wife and I and luggage for 4 days. The price leap from Nano to Figo is quite significant, but not unaffordable. I just want to make sure if a single hammer gets it done, no point in buying the whole toolbox, right?

Also any suggested comfortable routes from Bangalore for a non-local would be greatly appreciated. For now relying only on the good graces of Google, it looks like I will be taking the Mysore Road and bypassing it @ Srirangapatna (BLR >Srirangapatna >Hunsur >Gonikoppal >Virajpet).

Or should I be taking some other route? The extent of my comfortable highway driving experience so far is Pondicherry to Chennai via ECR (150 KMs door to door) and please take that into consideration.

Thanks as always and keep on motoring!
Nano will do it, but not sure how well. Figo will definitely do much better given the terrain.

Regarding the route, all is well with what Google suggests. The turn-off at Srirangapatna is well marked(you'll see a small circle with Orange County boards). Gonikoppal exit comes a couple of kms after Hunsur bye-pass. Once you cross Cafe County, you should watch out for this. Virajpet is a little confusing with one ways. But you can ask the locals for Madikeri road and take it. Once on this, you go about 7 kms when you cross a small bridge, then comes the turn-off to Club Mahindra to your left. The roads from hereon is manageable at best with lots of potholes.

One more suggestion - the most famous Tamara resort is also just a few kms ahead of CM on the same road. It is a wonderful place to be considering you are on your anniversary. I would recommend you book a lunch/evening tea with them and surprise your better half! Trust my words, it is that romantic! The road leading to it might be a little intimidating as it is very narrow at places, but well paved.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 14:14   #506
BHPian

Hi all, A group of friends and I (all male) are planning a visit to Dubare and Coorg. The trip is planned on the weekend of 17th,18th Oct. Right now, the plan is to start from Bangalore early on Saturday and drive via Mysore outskirts-Hunsur ending up at Virajpet.

Require your recommendations on where to stay. We are looking at a 1000rs/head limit (including dinner ).
Old 30th September 2015, 15:03   #507
adu
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Fellow Motorheads,

For now relying only on the good graces of Google, it looks like I will be taking the Mysore Road and bypassing it @ Srirangapatna (BLR >Srirangapatna >Hunsur >Gonikoppal >Virajpet).
I am just back from a weekend trip to Virajpet and Gonikoppal (wife is from there so travel quite often). The route you have mentioned is perfect, however the bypass (Srirangapatna to Hunsur Road) is messed up. It has been slowly deteriorating for the last few months but this time it was bad. They have started work in a few stretches, however it will be a pretty bumpy ride. I drive a XUV and I did feel the strain of driving on this stretch and decided to return via the Mysore Ring Road route. This is about 12-13 kilometers more, but will be a much smoother and faster drive.

Suggesting this since you are planning to take the Nano.
adu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 15:42   #508

Quote:
Originally Posted by adu View Post
The route you have mentioned is perfect, however the bypass (Srirangapatna to Hunsur Road) is messed up.
I drive a XUV and I did feel the strain of driving on this stretch and decided to return via the Mysore Ring Road route. This is about 12-13 kilometers more, but will be a much smoother and faster drive.
Thanks for the field intel, Agent Adu. Commencing remote reconnaissance using maps supplied by high command (aka google). Re: Mysore Ring Road alternative to the bypass from Srirangapatna, instructions unclear. Request additional intel, perhaps in the form of a google map snippet. Awaiting more excellent intel.

Over and out!
Field Operative Stryker

P.S - Too much Robert Ludlum of late, pardon the goofiness!
luckystryker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 23:44   #509
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the field intel, Agent Adu. Commencing remote reconnaissance using maps supplied by high command (aka google). Re: Mysore Ring Road alternative to the bypass from Srirangapatna, instructions unclear. Request additional intel, perhaps in the form of a google map snippet. Awaiting more excellent intel.
Get to Mysore and at the Mysore outer ring road junction there is a signal with Columbia Asia Hospital on the right. Turn right here and you will be on the way to Hunsur. /endofintel.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 12:45   #510
BHPian

We are planning to visit Coorg, but cannot choose Club Mahindra Madikeri or Virajpet, in terms of ambiance and facilities.

Further, as the food at most Club Mahindra resorts is pricey and not always of great quality, we are planning to book a studio with an attached dry kitchenette.

Keeping this in mind would appreciate some inputs regarding the resorts themselves and the proximity to the nearest town.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks