Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2011, 19:43   #121
BHPian

Re: Coorg recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
SH17 takes you to Columbia Asia from where you need to take right. This is decent and smooth compared to NH209. We had done SH17 to coorg and it was a breeze.
Ah! Thanks.

I plan to leave by 5:30AM from Banaswadi. Any breakfast option(s) on the way? I plan to visit Kushalnagar (Tibetan settlement) on the way.
Old 1st October 2011, 21:13   #122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Ah! Thanks.

I plan to leave by 5:30AM from Banaswadi. Any breakfast option(s) on the way? I plan to visit Kushalnagar (Tibetan settlement) on the way.
There is a cafe-coorg at Hunsur I am assuming you won't be stopping
on the Mysore road.
Old 1st October 2011, 21:30   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There is a cafe-coorg at Hunsur I am assuming you won't be stopping
on the Mysore road.
I think i'll make it to Hunsur by 9:00 - 9:30AM, so no plans of stopping in Mysore Road.

BTW, Hunsur comes after the turn from Columbia Asia Hosp. IIRC, after that right turn the roads fork into 2. Which one of these lead to Hunsur?
Old 1st October 2011, 21:44   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think i'll make it to Hunsur by 9:00 - 9:30AM, so no plans of stopping in Mysore Road.

BTW, Hunsur comes after the turn from Columbia Asia Hosp. IIRC, after that right turn the roads fork into 2. Which one of these lead to Hunsur?
On taking right at Columbia Asia you enter the Mysore Outer Rings Road (ORR).
The Hunsur road exit will be clearly marked. Just follow the main ORR till you see this sign-guage. It is about 10Km from Columbia Asia.

The other confirmation is that this exit would come after KRS road exit.

Ring Rd to Hunsur Rd - Google Maps
Old 1st October 2011, 23:23   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Ah! Thanks.

Excellent choice. Kushal Nagar is awsome and you wont be disappointed.
Link to my travelogue to this place
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...an-temple.html
Old 2nd October 2011, 09:22   #126
BHPian

do I have to take any diversion from the main road between Mysore-Hunsur-Madikeri to go to the Tibetan place?
Old 2nd October 2011, 09:42   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
do I have to take any diversion from the main road between Mysore-Hunsur-Madikeri to go to the Tibetan place?
Beyond Husur, you should take the Madekeri route (as you already mentioned; You will continue on SH88 through Periyapatna and Kushalnagar).
On this route you hit Kushalnagar. No diversions needed. Need go away from the main road to get into the Buddhist settlement.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd October 2011 at 09:46.
Old 5th October 2011, 14:37   #128
BHPian

Thanks everyone!

I will start tomorrow. Another question i have is on how to reach SH17. I stay on Rammurthy Nagar circle on the main ORR.

Google maps says Hebbal>Yeswantpur>Tumkur Road (NH4)>Then turn left to NICE road near Anchelpalya Lake>Exit to Mysore Road (SH17). My question is are there enough signages for the entry and exit from NICE road. If not, what are the landmarks i should watch out for?
Old 5th October 2011, 14:38   #129
BHPian

Thanks everyone!

I will start tomorrow morning around 5:30AM. Another question i have is on how to reach SH17. I stay on Rammurthy Nagar circle on the main ORR.

Google maps says Hebbal>Yeswantpur>Tumkur Road (NH4)>Then turn left to NICE road near Anchelpalya Lake>Exit to Mysore Road (SH17). My question is are there enough signages for the entry and exit from NICE road. If not, what are the landmarks i should watch out for?
Old 5th October 2011, 14:43   #130
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Thanks everyone!

I will start tomorrow morning around 5:30AM. Another question i have is on how to reach SH17. I stay on Rammurthy Nagar circle on the main ORR.

If you are leaving at 5:30AM, you might as well pass through the city. Get on to the flyover at kalasipalayam and you are on Mysore road.
Old 5th October 2011, 15:43   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks everyone!

Some notes:

Distance taken to come to Mysore road via Tumkur side of NICE is almost same as compared to taking the Hosur side of NICE road.

Via Tumkur NICE side:
Outer Ring Rd to Mysore Rd - Google Maps

Via Hosur NICE:

But the road to reaching Tumkur side of NICE is horrible as you need to go through the Hebbal-Penya ORR which can be jammed even at 5:30 in the morning, thanks to the railway crossing.

Hence if you want to take NICE better to take the Hosur side of it. Very peaceful and a hassle drive experience.
Ramamurthynagar-OMR-Indira 100feet road- IRR- Koramangala-Silkboard-HosurRoad-NICE-Mysore road.

But while going its easier to go through the city as well. You save about 20km.
Ramamurthynagar-OMR-Indiranagar 100 feet road - Old Airport Road- Richmod Road-Townhall-JC Road-Mysore road.

But its better to take NICE road while coming back.
Old 5th October 2011, 16:40   #132
BHPian

thanks M8002 and ampere.

I will take the city route while going!

Request someone to send me the coordinates for the Buddhist Monastery @ Bylakuppe?
Old 5th October 2011, 16:47   #133
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

going from the Mysore highway towards Madikeri you simply cannot miss Bylekuppe - the turnoff to the Monastery comes on your left side. And there is a large Tibetan Arch marking the spot. Impossible to miss unless you are doing supersonic speeds or something of that kind.

Quote:
thanks M8002 and ampere.

Request someone to send me the coordinates for the Buddhist Monastery @ Bylakuppe?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 17:15   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
thanks M8002 and ampere.

As Shankar said, you can't miss it at all. On the main Hunsur road, you would sight
this place on your left. Beautiful place ! I just could not believe, there is no entry see. Beautifully maintained as well.
Old 9th October 2011, 17:05   #135
BHPian

Hi,

Just completed a 710km trip from Bangalore to coorg and mysore... Took the right turn after the second bridge of srirangapatna, it is the second exit at the round about, the road from there is not that great... till you touch the hunsur road... after that the road is a breeze...Skipped khushalnagar, went straight to Dubare camp,
The road connecting Dubare to Hunsur SH91 is in bad shape, and further down,the last few kilometers, are pretty harsh on any vehicle.
the water level there is pretty low, so no white water rafting was possible, though you can go on a raft, and swim around and all for 100 Rs. The elephants had all retreated as we had reached around 12. Checked our nisargadhama as well, nothing great to see there actually..

The road back on the highway 88 Mysore Madikeri was superb, driving there was such a pleasure.. the pleasure evaporated the moment we reach madikeri :|, roads were in real bad shape, had lunch at Hotel Westend, totally disiked the food, headed straight to our Homestay Misty Heights , which is on a steep climp, that too which has a curve at the very top, I was climbing the slope, but a dog on the path decided not to move :(, had to stop on the steepest climb I have ever encountered and a good 50m from the road below.. did struggle a bit, to climb up again from there..

The homestay was beautiful, a 100 year old house converted into different room sets, even has a swing at the very end of the property overlooking the whole madikeri district.

Day 2 was spent in going to Abbe falls and bhagamandala and talacauvery, on the return journey went to khushal nagar monastery, had some snacks at cafe coorg at hunsur, they have modelled themselves exactly like CCD!!

Went to Mysore, visited Chamundi hills, and came back to bangalore in 2.5 hrs.

The whole journey was our first, me and my wife, we had been to mysore a couple of times before on our Alto, but never really on a vacation, this was our first.

The car returned an impressive 18kmpl, with ac on almost half the times, considering the fact we were in 1st or 2nd gear maximum in madikeri and other climbs, the car did pretty well..

Most of the pics have already been posted, so not adding anything, if anyone needs any info on route or places to visit or stay, do let me know, would be glad to help.
Thanks
Shailesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks