Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2016, 16:35   #541
BHPian

Re: Coorg recommendations

Just back from a coorg trip last weekend. The route taken by me from Hubli was- Hubli>Haveri>Ranebennur>Harihar>Chitradurga>Hiriyu r>Huliyar>Tiptur>Channarayapatna>Arakalgud>Ramanat hapura>Kushalnagar>Madikeri. A total of about 510kms. Route is extremely good. Took me about 7.5-8 hours travel time. Two Lane roads after getting down from NH4 at Hiryur. But very good roads. A very very few bad patches. That too started very late in the afternoon. So half of the journey was in the dark.

Return journey I tried something different. Madikeri>Kushalnagar>Ramanathapura>Arakalgud>Chann arayapatna>Bangalore-Mangalore highway>Deviated towards Shivaganga and joined NH4 at Dabaspet. From there continued on NH4 till Hubli. This was even more easy to drive. Took less than 7.5 hours travel time.

But climate in madikeri was very hot when we visited last week. Didn't feel like we were at a hill station. Should have planned Mysore Ooty instead. Initially planned even chikmagalur, while returning from coorg. But skipped it, on experiencing the coorg climate. It might have changed now because of rains.
doc_zeus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 16:57   #542
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_zeus View Post
Just back from a coorg trip last weekend. The route taken by me from Hubli was- Hubli>Haveri>Ranebennur>Harihar>Chitradurga>Hiriyu r>Huliyar>Tiptur>Channarayapatna>Arakalgud>Ramanat hapura>Kushalnagar>Madikeri. A total of about 510kms. Route is extremely good. Took me about 7.5-8 hours travel time. Two Lane roads after getting down from NH4 at Hiryur. But very good roads. A very very few bad patches. That too started very late in the afternoon. So half of the journey was in the dark.
Nice! I always wanted to know how the CR Patna-Tiptur-Huliyar section was? (I have never driven that stretch)
Good to note, that its in decent shape.

Quote:
Return journey I tried something different. Madikeri>Kushalnagar>Ramanathapura>Arakalgud>Chann arayapatna>Bangalore-Mangalore highway>Deviated towards Shivaganga and joined NH4 at Dabaspet. From there continued on NH4 till Hubli. This was even more easy to drive. Took less than 7.5 hours travel time.
Wow! That puts a very nice perspective. We all have been debating on how much we must reduce detours. This is good factual data.
Old 7th April 2016, 10:36   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This is good factual data.

Only problem we faced during that trip, especially on NH4, few good food joints after Tumkur. Kamat upachar wasn't great and took a lot of time. Somewhat decent restaurant we found was Naveen Regency at Chitradurga, on the highway.
So those travelling South on NH4, towards coorg, plan accordingly. After Belgaum-Hubli section, there are very few food joints till Tumkur.
Old 12th April 2016, 17:22   #544
JD1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
@JD1, I am from Coorg and I always prefer the Mysore ORR. the distance may be longer but the roads are always good. Currently the bypass has some parts where work is on-going, plus when we drove it a week or so ago, it was not all that great. Potholes and roadwork are not my idea of a fun drive.
Altitude at Mandalpatti is safe for a 2 year old, unless the child has major breathing problems. No issues at all for a normal child.
You can rent 4x4 at Mandalpatti itself
Thank You - that sealed the deal. I don't mind driving a bit more or spending bit more time on road for better quality turf so I will take Mysore ORR. That way I will get one more food option (Kalyani restaurant which has received quite a praise in this thread).
Can I ask one more follow-up question? What would be reasonable amount for Jeep (so not on sharing basis) from Madikeri and Mandalpatti?

Edited to ask 1 more question - Is the Virajpet - Hunsur road (SH90) in good condition? If not, what is the recommended route back from Club Mahindra Virajpet? I will be traveling back on Sunday afternoon.

Last edited by JD1 : 12th April 2016 at 17:38. Reason: One more question
Old 12th April 2016, 18:34   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
Thank You - that sealed the deal. I don't mind driving a bit more or spending bit more time on road for better quality turf so I will take Mysore ORR. That way I will get one more food option (Kalyani restaurant which has received quite a praise in this thread).
Can I ask one more follow-up question? What would be reasonable amount for Jeep (so not on sharing basis) from Madikeri and Mandalpatti?

Edited to ask 1 more question - Is the Virajpet - Hunsur road (SH90) in good condition? If not, what is the recommended route back from Club Mahindra Virajpet? I will be traveling back on Sunday afternoon.
Food there are various options available depending on your taste. Kalyani is supposed to be pretty good.
Jeep, I have no idea what it costs, but I would have to ask my cousins. The reason is whenever we have gone, has always been in a jeep cos we always have access to one in Coorg.
The Hunsur Virajpet road is in really good condition and barring the speed breakers it could not be better. It is being maintained well because it is now becoming part of the National Highway. Definitely use the Virajpet-Hunsur-Mysore road as it is good and will definitely save you time from Club Mahindra
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 23:26   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
Jeep would cost you about Rs.800-1000 from mandalpatti base to peak, about 11kms journey. There are several jeeps from a point, on madikeri to Abbey falls road. I'll upload Google maps image. They charge a bit more around 1500Rs. But most of the jeeps are in bad shape.
Hardcore off-roaders should try driving this mandalpatti peak.
Attached Thumbnails
Coorg recommendations-screenshot_20160412231821.png  

doc_zeus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 09:01   #547
Senior - BHPian

Any recommendations for a good food point between Chamrajpet-T.Narasipur-Madikeri for lunch?

How long (approx) will it take from Mysuru ORR to Madikeri?
Old 18th April 2016, 12:00   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Any recommendations for a good food point between Chamrajpet-T.Narasipur-Madikeri for lunch?

How long (approx) will it take from Mysuru ORR to Madikeri?
Can't think of anything decent till Mysore. Hotel Kalyani on the Mysore Ring road would be a good place, and convenient too since it falls right on your route - assuming you'd be taking the ring road.

From there to Madikeri should be about 2.5 hours.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 12:13   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Can't think of anything decent till Mysore. Hotel Kalyani on the Mysore Ring road would be a good place, and convenient too since it falls right on your route - assuming you'd be taking the ring road.

From there to Madikeri should be about 2.5 hours.
Thanks Kala.

I will be taking the ring road and search Hotel Kalyani and keep it in map.

I am staying just one full day there - Do you recommend any must sees without missing? (Falls/View points)
Old 19th April 2016, 07:33   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_zeus View Post
Jeep would cost you about Rs.800-1000 from mandalpatti base to peak, about 11kms journey. There are several jeeps from a point, on madikeri to Abbey falls road. I'll upload Google maps image. They charge a bit more around 1500Rs. But most of the jeeps are in bad shape.
Hardcore off-roaders should try driving this mandalpatti peak.
Just fyi, the local taxi guys are goons. When my cousins went in their own vehicle these folk came and tried to create a scene. They thought we were tourists due to a non ka12 vehicle and when my cousins blasted them they went their own way.

Maddy
Old 19th April 2016, 11:05   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
I am staying just one full day there - Do you recommend any must sees without missing? (Falls/View points)
Sorry, can't help you there. I've never visited Madikeri as a "tourist" - The only places I've visited around the area are Abby falls and the Buddhist temple in Kushalnagar. I love visiting Coorg during monsoon - nothing like just chilling out at the resort while it's pouring cats and dogs outside and going out for long walks when it it isn't raining !
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 22:06   #552
BHPian

Can someone tell me if May would be the right time to visit Coorg. I am planning for 2 nights stay. Since my parents are coming over in May. Want to take them to some kind of Hill station.
Any advice for a good homestay or hotels are welcome.
Old 22nd April 2016, 09:56   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Can someone tell me if May would be the right time to visit Coorg. I am planning for 2 nights stay. Since my parents are coming over in May. Want to take them to some kind of Hill station.
Weather in May would be pleasant, but you can't expect a typical hill station weather, with mist and rains. For that you can try Ooty. I have visited coorg in last may and it was pleasant with day time temperature around 26 max and evenings cool down.

If you want to experience the cold weather, then you need to wait till the monsoons start.
Old 22nd April 2016, 09:56   #554
BHPian

Quote:
In my opinion, a trip to coorg is better from the beginning of monsoons. We didn't enjoy at all, because of the hot climate. Same goes for chikmagalur etc places. But people in coorg told me that climate will be much better by may last week or in the June. I would suggest Ooty, if you hadn't been there.
Purely my perspective. Please confirm regarding coorg with others.
Old 22nd April 2016, 10:52   #555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Like others mentioned, you won't be seeing the misty hills, etc. that are typically associated with Coorg. Also the waterfalls, etc. are hardly worth visiting during this season. But if you just want to drive to a near by destination, enjoy the hills, winding roads, a good resort, Buddhist temple, etc. it is still a good option.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks