Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2016, 17:01   #556
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coorg recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_zeus View Post
In my opinion, a trip to coorg is better from the beginning of monsoons. We didn't enjoy at all, because of the hot climate. Same goes for chikmagalur etc places. But people in coorg told me that climate will be much better by may last week or in the June. I would suggest Ooty, if you hadn't been there.
Purely my perspective. Please confirm regarding coorg with others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Like others mentioned, you won't be seeing the misty hills, etc. that are typically associated with Coorg. Also the waterfalls, etc. are hardly worth visiting during this season. But if you just want to drive to a near by destination, enjoy the hills, winding roads, a good resort, Buddhist temple, etc. it is still a good option.
I have been there last week (21st-23rd), Its dry. Not the right time to visit. The best time for Coorg is either in winter or rainy depends on your taste.

I just wanted to have a long drive in the new car, hence, I did. The roads are drivers delight.

Regarding homestay, I stayed at Rare earth. http://www.rareearthestate.com. They also have http://www.silverbrookestate.com - I am sure you will happy with the stay and food.

Last edited by agbenny : 26th April 2016 at 17:02.
Old 4th May 2016, 10:36   #557
BHPian

Team I have booked myself 3 days in Coorg. I wanted to know if I can go to Kabini or nagarhole Safari after checking out from coorg and reach Bangalore by mid-night. Also what are the gates to enter and approximate distances from Madekeri. Is pre booking of Safari required?
If this cannot be done, are there any cheap homestays near the forests? So that I can do the morning safari and head for Bangalore.
Old 4th May 2016, 17:44   #558
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Is pre booking of Safari required?
If this cannot be done, are there any cheap homestays near the forests? So that I can do the morning safari and head for Bangalore.
If you are starting from Madikeri, I guess the best option would be to plan a afternoon start from Madikeri and reach Nagarhole in time for evening safari.

Nagarhole to Bangalore will take around 4.5 hours, so you will be able to reach Bangalore by midnight.

I am not sure about current Safari timings if you are taking the non Jungle lodges and resort (JLR) route. Most of the bigger hotels in area has tie up with JLR for safari. The forest department safari when I took was a walk-in affair, not sure about the same now.

You may be able to get more information about the same here .
Old 4th May 2016, 22:51   #559
BHPian

I would be visiting Coorg during second half of this month. Stay is booked at Club Mahindra, Virajpet. I had stayed at CM, Madikeri once and covered in and around Madikeri. What are the places worth covering during 3days of stay, this time?
Old 5th May 2016, 11:00   #560
BHPian

Can I take my own vehicle for the safari? Or can I drive from Kutta to Hunsur via Nagarhole NP ? Since eventually I have to go to Bangalore.
Old 5th May 2016, 11:23   #561
BHPian

Can anyone point out any lodges/hotels available in nagarhole ? I am planning for 1 night halt (5 members) at nagarhole on my way back from coorg to bangalore.
Old 5th May 2016, 11:35   #562
BHPian

Redcruiser I am also planning for the same. Do let me know if you find any cheap homestay. Else I shall just drive through if it is permitted.
Old 5th May 2016, 18:12   #563
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ You cannot drive inside the forest in your own vehicle. If keen on driving through the forest, you will have to stick to forest sections of Mysore - Mananthavady road.
Old 5th May 2016, 20:11   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
^^ You cannot drive inside the forest in your own vehicle. If keen on driving through the forest, you will have to stick to forest sections of Mysore - Mananthavady road.
Suhas do you have any suggestion for homestay in coorg. Planning to visit last week of May.
Old 11th May 2016, 16:38   #565
BHPian

Hi All,

I am planning to drive up to Mandalpatti this weekend. I see a lot of reference to 4X4 to drive up the hill, but looking at the photos, I don't see any specific reason my 2X4 Scorpio won't be able to do this. Please let me know if I am being a novice and judging a book by it's cover

PS: I will be having 6 adults in the car, so again, need an expert advice if I should just hire a jeep from the base instead!
Old 11th May 2016, 17:24   #566
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Suhas do you have any suggestion for homestay in coorg. Planning to visit last week of May.
Sorry for the late reply, just saw the query now. The home-stay we had stayed few years back is not closed I guess, during last trip had stayed at Club Mahindra Madikeri. Its a good property and near to town and other tourist attractions.

Few other home-stays which I had heard good reviews are Coffee Trails and Victorian Verandaz.

Also, you can check out this link

Edit: Do note that by June first week monsoon starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshyRocks View Post
I am planning to drive up to Mandalpatti this weekend.
I haven't done all the way up hill, hence I am in a position to answer the query fully. However, when I was in Coorg last year decided to try the Mandalapatti route. I was able to drive my XUV for couple of KM's towards the peak, roads are bad but it was not something which require a 4X4. Again, not sure about the condition as you near the peak.

I had read a review online which mentions that it is possible to drive till ~ 1 KM from the peak in any car and then walk the remaining way. Since the place was bit isolated and it was late I didn't want to try the rest of the road. Hence decided to turn back when I got sufficient width on the road.

You can see road pics here

Last edited by mpksuhas : 11th May 2016 at 17:35.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 18:25   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply, just saw the query now. The home-stay we had stayed few years back is not closed I guess, during last trip had stayed at Club Mahindra Madikeri. Its a good property and near to town and other tourist attractions.

Few other home-stays which I had heard good reviews are Coffee Trails and Victorian Verandaz.

Also, you can check out this link

Edit: Do note that by June first week monsoon starts.

I had read a review online which mentions that it is possible to drive till ~ 1 KM from the peak in any car and then walk the remaining way. Since the place was bit isolated and it was late I didn't want to try the rest of the road

You can see road pics here

Hii Suhas was very interested in the Club Mahindra resort at Mandikeri and may drive down there with family. Is it one of the resorts available as a choice for complimentary stay as part of the Purple Club Membership after buying a new XUV.
How is mid July for travel to coorg as that's the expected traveling date.
Old 11th May 2016, 22:02   #568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
How is mid July for travel to coorg as that's the expected traveling date.
Yes this is one of the resorts as part of purple club offer. In fact, my trip was also as part of the offer. You can see resort pics in travelogue link shared by in post above.

Do note that there are two club Mahindra resorts in Coorg - Madikeri and Virajpet.

Regarding travel time, monsoon usually hits Coorg by first week of June. You will find July also rainy, however personally I find that time best to visit anywhere around Western Ghats is around July - September. It's all green and lesser crowds.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 23:15   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Yes this is one of the resorts as part of purple club offer. In fact, my trip was also as part of the offer. You can see resort pics in travelogue link shared by in post above.

Do note that there are two club Mahindra resorts in Coorg - Madikeri and Virajpet.

Regarding travel time, monsoon usually hits Coorg by first week of June. You will find July also rainy, however personally I find that time best to visit anywhere around Western Ghats is around July - September. It's all green and lesser crowds.

Hii Suhas just went through your travelogue in the link above. Really crisp well written and some really good pictures. The tibetian area there was a complete surprise. As a perspective xuv buyer had been following your posts for a while now.
The links and attachments in your travelogue are helpful as well. We have yet to visit coorg and heard a lot about the place and hence the query.
Thanks for the info.
Cheers
Old 19th May 2016, 22:32   #570
BHPian

To All the experienced travelers @TBHP I would like you to pour in your suggesting regarding the tentative planning(be it time estimate or routes or eateries recommedations) that I have chalked out as below.
===============
MADIKERI PLANNING

DAY 1-
26th May, Whitefiled BANGALORE- start 5 AM ->KRPURAM->HEBBAL->YASHWANTHPUR->VISVESWARAPURA->NH48 to hagare (reach by 9:00)->Halebedu (visit Hoysaleshwara Temple,Jain Temple,Kedareshwara temple) (visit duration-2 hrs)->Hagare->belur,Chennakesava Temple (visit duration-1hr)->lunch at Vishnu regency-(1hr)->Madikeri via Somvarpet SH-112(travel time 3 hrs,reach by 4)->check in at Madikeri hotel.
At Madikeri-
Day 1 after 5pm-
After checking proceed to Raja seat to view sunset.Visit Raja fort.
Come back and relax or stroll in the market.

Day 2-
27th May-
Madikeri to Talakaveri (route- Madikeri Talakaveri route) (start at 6 AM , 1:30 hr travel time)- Spend around 2 hour in Talakaveri.
Drive back(start by 10:00) Visit Sangam (Visit time-30 mins)
Start by 11 to Meadikeri take the same route i.e Madikeri Talakaveri. Reach hotel by 1 PM & checkout.Have lunch @Madikeri 1hr.
Start for Abbey falls at 2:00pm Reach by 2:30 PM (optional).
Start from Abbey falls @3:30PM to Mandalpatti, Reach by 5:00. Visit time 1 hour.
Start from Mandalpatty by 6:00 to hotel @Kushalnagar- reach by 7:30 check in and relax.
DAY-3
28th May-
Have breakfast and visit Nisargadhama,start by 9.Visit time 2 hrs.Come back to hotel and check out by 12.
Have Lunch 1 hr untill 1:00 PM.
Drive to Buddhist Monastry,Bylekuppe.(visit time-1 hr)
Visit Dubari Elephant camp by 2:30(visit time-1hr).
Start for Mysore by 3:00 and reach by 5:00pm check in.
Visit Mysore market in the evening and have dinner at Pai Vista.

DAY-4
Start for Chamudeshwari Temple at 8:00 after breakfast.(Visit time 2 hrs)
Take rest at hotel or visit Mysore market untill lunch.
Start for Zoo at 2:00 (Visit time 3 hours).
See Mysore Palace lighting at 7 (visit time -1 hr)
Have dinner at Mysore and start for Bangalore by 9:30 .Reach home by midnight.
=============

Wanted to fit in Nagarhole safari but then I guess because of rains the roads may not very good and did not want to make it hectic.

Thanks in advance.
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed