Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2016, 22:45   #601
BHPian

Re: Coorg recommendations

Completed the Coorg trip last week. Thanks for all the inputs. Here's the travelogue of the trip.http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...fee-coorg.html
Hope you all like it.
The rains are indeed beautiful in Coorg!!
Old 25th July 2016, 01:07   #602
BHPian

Fellas,

I have plans to visit Coorg next week and need you suggestions on whether 1 night 2 day trip is sufficient for covering the below.

1. Namdroling monastery (Day 1 on route)
2. Iruppu falls (Day 1 evening)
3. Dubare elephant camp (Day 2 early morning)
4. Talakaveri (Day 2)

On our way back to Bengaluru on 2nd day, we want to stop at Mysore Palace and covered that as well. Also, will driving back to Bangalore from Mysore (starting around 8 PM) will be ok?
Old 25th July 2016, 08:50   #603
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulba View Post
4. Talakaveri (Day 2)

On our way back to Bengaluru on 2nd day, we want to stop at Mysore Palace and covered that as well. Also, will driving back to Bangalore from Mysore (starting around 8 PM) will be ok?
If you're planning to stay at Madikeri, you can do this:
Day 1: Visit the Tibetan settlement & monastery at Bylakuppe en route to Madikeri. Late afternoon you can visit Abbey falls, which is about 8-10Km from Madikeri, get back to Madikeri and visit Rajah Seat.
*I think Iruppu falls is about 50Km from Virajpet, not close to Madikeri.

Day 2: Dubare elephant camp (best visited early morning) and then Talakaveri and head to Mysore. Since the Palace closes around 5pm, you may have to stay overnight at Mysore and visit the Palace on Day 3 morning and head to Bangalore.

*Night driving on the Bangalore-Mysore Road will not be fun, especially if it's a weekend.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 19:47   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulba View Post
Fellas,

I have plans to visit Coorg next week and need you suggestions on whether 1 night 2 day trip is sufficient for covering the below.

4. Talakaveri (Day 2)

Do you enjoy driving through scenic routes or do you enjoy visiting more tourist places.

Iruppu falls is about 75kms from Madikeri. Talakaveri is 45kms. Both are in different directions.

If you enjoy driving, my suggestion is that while coming from Bangalore, take the Nagarhole route from Hunsur. After reaching Kutta, head to Iruppu falls. The falls are in full swing now and the route is full of greenery due to the rains.
You can head to Madikeri, visit Rajas seat and spend the night there. Abbey falls will be closed by evening 5pm. So you won't be able to cover it on day 1.

Day 2. Dubare elephant camp was closed when I went there during July 1st week. Only river rafting was going on there. So kindly check and confirm before you go there.

Head to Talakaveri early morning. The road to Talakaveri is a bit bad at stretches. So take your time to reach there and enjoy the place. The temple opens at 6am. Go early. The morning mist is an experience by itself.

Then return back to Bangalore and visit Namdroling monastery on the way. Namdroling monastery was also closed for maintenance work during first week of July.

This itself will be good enough for a two day trip.

If you want to visit places, head straight to madikeri. Visit Namdroling enroute, Abbey falls, Rajas seat and Talakaveri in evening. Stay at Madikeri.

Day 2, Early morning visit dubare (if open) and head to Mysore. Visit palace and come back to Bangalore.

If Dubare is closed, drop it and visit some more places near Mysore if you are interested like Ranganathittu and Balmuri falls.
i20ian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 11:02   #605
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Iam planning for Coorg for 2 days, 7and 8th Sept.

I will be travelling from Belgaum to Coorg, any idea which route to take and how are the road conditions.

Thanks,
Old 26th August 2016, 13:14   #606
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
travelling from Belgaum to Coorg
Belgaum - Hiriyur - Tiptur - CR Patna - Arkalgud - Shanivarasanthe - Somwarpete - Madikeri should be the best route. I'm not sure about road conditions in the Hiriyur - Tiptur - CR Patna stretch but the rest is good to very good roads and should not be a problem.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 13:55   #607
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Arkalgud - Shanivarasanthe - Somwarpete - Madikeri
Or even Arkalgud-Ramanthapura-Kushalnagar-Madikeri.

I'm also not sure about the Hiriyur-Tiptur-CR Patna route.
Old 28th August 2016, 19:30   #608
BHPian

Hi guys, my partner and me are planning an approximately 12 days trip. By and large, I would like to cover some hilly locations. I was thinking Coorg, Ooty and if time permits then go up to Kanyakumari and back. I would be starting from Mumbai with my partner and mother. The first halt would be Belgaum to visit our ancestral temple. Next stop would be Saundatti near Hubli to drop off my mother at her native place and stay the night there and start for the onward journey covering Ccorg and Ooty. I'm soliciting some advise as to -
1) what are decent and reasonably priced stay options in Coorg, Ooty and any other places I would visit.
2) what all places are recommend d to visit.
3) what route to take and where to halt.
4) any must-see places.
5) any must-eat at places.

My preference is to visit and stay in non-touristy places to avoid the usual rush and chaos.
I have no issue driving for 400-500 kms at a stretch, if need be. The stay options don't have to be luxurious but at the same time I would prefer basic but clean facilities. The closer to nature, the better.

I would be driving my XUV 500, done 20,000 kms, exactly a year old now. I'm planning on taking this trip starting the 3rd week of September.

Any ideas, suggestions, advise, etc would be much welcome and thank you in advance to all!
Old 28th August 2016, 21:46   #609
BHPian

I've recently been to Coorg during the Independence Day long weekend!

Road conditions:
  • via CR Patna - Mangalore Highway is good upto CR Patna and State Highway from CR Patna to Holenarasipur beyond which it starts to deteriorate. After Arakalagud, the the road is in a bad shape for several patches and would take some time cover. Moreover, the roads are narrow and several unmarked speed breakers are present.
  • via Mysore Road - Much better than the CR Patna Route. The only bad section in this route is the Mysore bypass road.

Here is a small video of my Dashcam footage.

nerd1200 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 17:28   #610
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
planning an approximately 12 days trip
Here is what I would do If i had 10 days to spare.

Day 1: Hubli - Thirthalli - Sringeri - Prakruti home stay
Day 2: Sringeri - Kudremukh - Kalsa - Kottigehara - Mudigere. Loads of homestays around mudigere
Day 3: Mudigere - Sakleshpur - Manjarabad Fort - Hettur - Somwarpete - Mallalli Falls - Chiguru Homestay
Day 4: Somwarpete - Gonikoppal - Kutta - Jungle Retreat
Day 5: Jungle Retreat
Day 6: Jungle Retreat - Sultan Bathery - Gudalur - Ooty - Western Valley resorts
Day 7: Western valley - emerald lake - avalanche - western valley
Day 8: Western valley - mettupalayam - pollachi - aliyar dam - waterfall estate
Day 9: Valparai
Day 10: Return via pollachi - salem - bangalore - tumkur

Now that I look at this, I have this sudden urge to apply for leave and just hit the road. Envy you!

Note:I have no commercial interest in any of the recommended homestays/resorts
Old 29th August 2016, 21:48   #611
BHPian

Thanks a ton for the suggestions buddy! Yeah take leave and let's catch up during the drive 😀
Old 5th September 2016, 21:04   #612
BHPian

I visited Coorg on 1st and 2nd August and would recommend you to must include it in your itinerary. It's a lovely place and you won't regret visiting there. Below are some suggestions from me.
Quote:
1) what are decent and reasonably priced stay options in Coorg, Ooty and any other places I would visit.
Check for Victorian Verandaz home stay. Absolutely perfect vacation property. They take very good care of their guests and take you for guided tour of coffee and black pepper plantations within their property.
Quote:
2) what all places are recommend d to visit.
In Coorg, do visit Talakaveri temple, Iruppu waterfall (if rains are still on), Namdroling monastery (known as Golden Temple) and Dubare elephant camp.
Quote:
3) what route to take and where to halt.
I took Mangalore highway instead of Mysore one and drive was absolutely gorgeous. Best roads with scenic views en-route.
Quote:
5) any must-eat at places.
Please do try the idli breakfast at Shark food court on Mangalore highway. It's on the left hand side after some 20-30 kms of the start. It is till date the best idli sambhar I had in my life.
Old 1st October 2016, 05:36   #613
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I am looking to travel coorg next weekend starting at 10 AM Friday the 7th oct and back on 10th Oct. I just wanted some suggestions about the route. I have gone to Mysore some time back and that highway way too much filled with speed breakers. I got to know about the route via Channarayapattana. My destination in Coord is a housestay near Chelavara falls. I also would like to visit the Golden Temple near Kushalnagar. I was told roads after Channarayapattana are bad. Can anyone please confirm and suggest what route should be taken to reach there without much trouble.
Need to enjoy with my new Tiago .

Coorg recommendations-coorg-route1.jpg

Thanks
Karan
Old 7th October 2016, 13:57   #614
BHPian

Roads beyond Channarayapattana to Madikeri are not what I would call bad. There are a few stretches that are a bit patchy on which one can maintain about 60Kmph.
On a personal note I prefer the NH75 route and have traveled thrice.
I love driving on the road between SH121 and SH102.

Coorg recommendations-capture1.jpg

However this route may be a bit longer since you want to go near Chelavara falls.

Does anyone know the condition of the approach road to Chelavara falls?

PS: I too will be travelling to coorg this weekend
rajathv8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 14:16   #615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanu2k15 View Post
I was told roads after Channarayapattana are bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
Roads beyond Channarayapattana to Madikeri are not what I would call bad
Second rajathv8. Roads are not bad except for a small stretch between Arkalgud - Ramanathapura where you need to watch out for broken sections. Had posted details in my thread Do not miss out driving on SH121

You could also drive CR Patna - Arkalgud - Shanivarasanthe - Somwarpete - Madikeri - Virajpet - Chelavara falls. I'm not sure about road conditions between Madikeri - Virajpet - Chelavara Falls but the rest is good two lane SH with a lot of green all around.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks