Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2016, 13:57   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Shirdi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
We are planning to start around 3PM today and hoping to reach by 5AM tomorrow morning.
That's being too aggressive I would say considering you will drive at night and in rains.

If it's a target and you are driving, remember that it's almost 1100 kms to Destination and there are many reasons that can slow you down apart from just rains.

My only advise here is not to have a Target (if you do) and drive as per the merit of roads and progress you make.

Else, in terms of Road conditions and beyond, you need not really bother much here.

A sure shot 3pm start will make you reach Pune between 2 and 3am. After this, you cross Pune and then drive to Shirdi. Pune Shirdi is a 4 hours drive in peace and regular cruising speeds. Considering wee hours, I reduce 30 mins from this.

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th July 2016 at 14:21.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 15:44   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Thanks a lot for quick response Ashish. We are planning to start around 3PM today and hoping to reach by 5AM tomorrow morning. Will take BLR-PUN-Ahmednagar-Shirdi route as suggested by most on this thread. This is totally unplanned trip, anything I should be aware of ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
That's being too aggressive I would say considering you will drive at night and in rains.

If it's a target and you are driving, remember that it's almost 1100 kms to Destination and there are many reasons that can slow you down apart from just rains.

My only advise here is not to have a Target (if you do) and drive as per the merit of roads and progress you make.
I agree with parag, 14 hours looks very aggressive, that too with rains all around.

I did the same route(Shirdi-Pune-Bangalore) last year and it took 17 hours. It was a 4:00 AM start from Shirdi and reached Bangalore by 9:00 PM. Shirdi - Pune took 4H:30M due to average road condition and bad truck traffic.
arun_josie is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 16:29   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I did the same route(Shirdi-Pune-Bangalore) last year and it took 17 hours. It was a 4:00 AM start from Shirdi and reached Bangalore by 9:00 PM. Shirdi - Pune took 4H:30M due to average road condition and bad truck traffic.
I am planning for this road-trip in September from Bangalore. Will be stopping over at Ahmednagar instead of Shirdi. How much time does it take to travel between Ahmednagar & Shirdi? Also, is this duration between Bangalore-Shirdi including breaks or excluding them?

Thanks a lot!
Old 11th August 2016, 16:55   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
How much time does it take to travel between Ahmednagar & Shirdi?
2 Hours and not more than that.

Quote:
Also, is this duration between Bangalore-Shirdi including breaks or excluding them?
That for sure will be including a lot of things other than just breaks:
  • Crossing Ahmednagar Town
  • The tolls betwee Ahmednagar and Pune (2) - No longer applicable for cars
  • Crossing Pune from Ahmadnagar Road onto N4
  • Tolls between Pune and Bangalore (15)
  • At least 4 Meal breaks - Breakfast, Lunch, Snacks and Dinner
  • At least one refueling stop
And mind you when Arun was driving down, the Pune-Satara section of 110 kms was still undergoing massive 6 lane work with a lot of diversions compared to what it is today. A real time consumer in this sector. Overall, Pune-Kolhapur on a regular day is 3.5-4 hours affair till you cross Kolhapur completely.

Post Kolhapur to Bangalore is where traffic reduces drastically.

And for a journey that is more than 1000 kms, I will always add a lot of buffer - Sudden increase in traffic, Accidents, Jams, longer breaks etc. And last but not the least, a journey that is so long is best enjoyed with sedate driving style with 100-110 kmph band based on traffic rather than pushing the limits anywhere. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th August 2016 at 16:58.
Old 11th August 2016, 17:17   #305
J.Ravi

Quote:
Crossing Ahmednagar Town
One need not enter Ahmednagar. I saw Pune-Shirdi bypass road before entering Ahmednagar, while driving from Shirdi to Bangalore in March 2016, although I didn't use it, and instead, drove through Ahmednagar, Daund and Lonand to Satara directly. Of course, the roads were narrow and not good in many stretches between Ahmednagar and Satara.
  (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 17:22   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
One need not enter Ahmednagar. I saw Pune-Shirdi bypass road before entering Ahmednagar, while driving from Shirdi to Bangalore in March 2016, although I didn't use it, and instead, drove through Ahmednagar, Daund and Lonand to Satara directly. Of course, the roads were narrow and not good in many stretches between Ahmednagar and Satara.
I have used that "Bypass" in November 2015 too.

Here is the reference:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4005904

This is when I was driving back from Aurangabad to Bangalore and saw signage in blue even for Pune/Mumbai on the other side of the town. I used that partially and what happened next has been mentioned in that post.

Then when I took the usual route back and continued towards Pune crossing Ahmadnagar, I noticed another signage after the town (for Ahmadnagar bound vehicles from Pune side) indicating this bypass.

Overall, as you can read from vivek's update, the bypass seems to be a mixed bag but here the BHPian has hinted that he will be staying for the night at Ahmadnagar and hence the advice.

Quote:
Will be stopping over at Ahmednagar instead of Shirdi.

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th August 2016 at 17:25.
Old 11th August 2016, 20:36   #307
BHPian

I had said this before in this thread, check with Pune--Indore and Pune--Shirdi regulars on this forum about the "Nagar bypass". Threads exist on these routes. The last I knew Nagar bypass is best way to bypass Nagar despite average to decent 2 lane roads.

Satara--Pune--Satara has turned into a bit of potholed mess given the insane rains in MH, it's gonna slow you down and would seem annoying when coupled with the usual high traffic in MH, but nothing to worry.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 09:55   #308
BHPian

Quote:
2 Hours and not more than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Ahmednagar Bypass
Thanks Parag, J.Ravi for the responses.

I am a sedate driver in any case . I have adapted my travel plan now and will do the trip in the following legs:

Leg 1: Bangalore - Pune
Leg 2: Pune - Ahmednagar
Leg 3: Ahmednagar - Shirdi - Ahmednagar
Leg 4: Ahmednagar - Pune - Belgaum
We will be starting late from Ahmednagar & start from Pune to Belgaum after lunch
Leg 5: Belgaum - Bangalore

This will be more relaxed, I feel. Planning for not more than 10 hours drive each day (except for the first day where it will be about 15 hours)

Is my estimate ok? Also, is Fastag activated across the toll booths on this route? If so waiting at tolls will be minimal.
Old 12th August 2016, 10:03   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is my estimate ok?
It is prefect!

Quote:
Also, is Fastag activated across the toll booths on this route? If so waiting at tolls will be minimal.
Mixed response to FastTag on this section. We drove to Ratnagiri and back 2 weeks before and one of the 6 cars n our group was FastTagged and from what I know it only worked in 2 booths out of 11 we passed from Bangalore.

I seriously do not see a major difference in waiting times if your car is FastTag equipped till the system falls in place completely.

Also, to tell you the fact, almost all toll booths in Karnataka till the border have minimal traffic that toll is a major time consumer. 4 booths in MH - Kini, Taswade, Anewadi, Khedshivpur are the major contributors here due to traffic density but from my 100+ times of passing these booths from both sides, I can easily say that they manage the toll pretty fast despite the density - Most of the times you will notice at least 3 people manning each window - One collects the money, one prints the receipt and the 3rd one passes you the receipt.

In case of super long queues, the attendant also walks up to alternate cars in the queue and collects money to make things more efficient.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 11:04   #310
J.Ravi

Quote:
Is my estimate ok?
I feel, the driver's comfort level should get top priority over all other things. If you are comfortable with this plan, then it is definitely okay.

Quote:
Also, is Fastag activated across the toll booths on this route?
During my Indore-Bangalore drive on 27/28 March 2016, FASTag worked in only one toll plaza at Kini between Satara and Kolhapur. I paid by cash in all other toll plazas. Tender the exact amount at the toll plazas, especially in MH, to avoid receiving chocolates/biscuit packet in lieu of the balance.

Bangalore to Shirdi : Route Queries-kini.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 12th August 2016 at 11:16.
  (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 16:34   #311
BHPian

Quote:
  • Crossing Ahmednagar Town
You dont have to get into Ahmednagar town. While approaching from Pune you will see the bypass on left before the town. Take this bypass and follow the directions on board, its pretty good except for couple of bad stretches of about 100 mtrs where work is not fully complete.

Your challenge will be crossing Pune if you get in during morning and evening office traffic.

Last edited by deepaktpatil : 12th August 2016 at 16:35.
Old 12th August 2016, 16:40   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
You dont have to get into Ahmednagar town. While approaching from Pune you will see the bypass on left before the town. Take this bypass and follow the directions on board, its pretty good except for couple of bad stretches of about 100 mtrs where work is not fully complete.

Your challenge will be crossing Pune if you get in during morning and evening office traffic.
Deepak,You missed all the discussions that followed after this, obviously .

Please read the subsequent posts and you will know 2 things:

1. Why crossing Ahmednagar town was brought into picture (as that is a starting point for a break journey the way it has been planned)

2. On how I have already taken the bypass that you are referring to.

Regarding crossing Pune, well there have been countless posts by me on this thread and elsewhere on what option works best based on the time you cross and the direction you are headed to.
Old 17th October 2016, 12:53   #313
BHPian

Folks, bumping up this old thread for inputs on my below tentative plan for a year-end drive to MH with family (includes not-so-young-but-fit parents) in Swift VDi. Pls pitch in with your inputs.

I don't plan to visit this region again for a long time, hence planning to cover as many places as possible.
Few hotels have been identified, yet to start booking them. Will do so once I get inputs on the plan.

# I have read travelogues where people have done this circuit the other way around -> Mahabaleshwar - Lonavala - Shirdi - Aurangabad - Pune. Any downsides to the plan I have chalked out?
# Are all these routes safe to drive with family, in a hatchback?
# I don't intend to drive through night anywhere. On first and last days, I plan to start by 4AM.

Total planned days - 11 (Extendable by 1 if this is too tight)

Day 1 -
Drive from Bangalore to Mahabaleshwar (Which one of these is correct? https://goo.gl/pfggFY)
Day 2 -
Local sight-seeing (Panchgani, Doom dam)
Day 3 -
Drive to Ahmednagar (via Lonand, Nira, Daund ???)
Visit tank museum
Drive to Shani Shingnapur; Temple visit [will avoid Saturday]
Drive to Aurangabad
Day 4 -
Visit Ajanta [will avoid Monday]
Evening - Aurangabad local sight seeing
Day 5 -
Daulatabad fort, Aurangzeb's tomb, Ellora caves [will avoid Tuesday], Grishneshwar Jyotirlinga temple
Drive to Shirdi [will avoid Thursday]
Day 6 -
Darshan
Drive to Triambakeshwar; temple visit
Drive to Nashik
Day 7 -
Local sight-seeing
If time permits, visit a vineyard
Day 8 -
Drive to Bhimashankar; temple visit
Drive to Lonavala
Day 9 -
Lonavala + Khandala sight-seeing
Day 10 -
Drive to Pune
Visit friends
Day 11 -
Drive to Bangalore

I do intend to post a detailed travelogue after the trip.
Old 17th October 2016, 18:18   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubbi View Post

Day 1 -
Drive from Bangalore to Mahabaleshwar (Which one of these is correct? https://goo.gl/pfggFY)

Day 3 -
Drive to Ahmednagar (via Lonand, Nira, Daund ???)

The upper most route in the gmap link you have shared (68 kms ) is the easiest route to Mahabaleshwar as it bypasses Satara city completely.

From Mahabaleshwar to Nagar, take the NH4--Pune route rather than Lonand route.

Rest looks fine. Have a great trip
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 18:49   #315
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubbi View Post
Day 1 -
Day 2 -
Local sight-seeing (Panchgani, Doom dam)
For Bangalore-Mahabaleshwar you can take either:
1. the bottom most one route shown on google maps (you can even turn left at the next major junction just above and still join the the route shown - via SH 58. This will take you to Shivaji circle at Satara so you will be going right through the city. This route will then take you via Medha to Mahabaleshwar.

2.You can also take the top most route as Vivek mentioned - that will take you via Panchwad to Wai and then it is one single road to Panchgani and Mahabaleshwar. Dhom dam is closer to Wai.

If you take the route via Wai, you can visit Dholya Ganapathi Temple & Kashi Vishweshvar temple (adjacent to each other), Dhom Dam and then head to Mahabaleshwar via Panchgani and check in to the hotel late evening. It may be dark by the time you reach Panchgani and Mahabaleshwar so can't visit any of the points en route.

On Day 2, if you visit all the good places of interest at Mahabaleshwar, you will need the whole day for that, else you will not be doing justice. So I think staying overnight on Day 2 at Mahabaleshwar or even Panchgani is a good idea. If staying at Panchgani, try to complete your sight-seeing around Mahabaleswar by late afternoon, have lunch at Mapro Garden and check in to a hotel at Panchgani.

Day 3 you can take the Panchgani, Wai route and visit places of interest in Panchgani. Since you already covered Wai on Day 1, proceed towards Ahmednagar for the remaining leg of your journey.

Last edited by NPV : 17th October 2016 at 18:52.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed