Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2007, 04:19   #1
BHPian

Bangalore to Shirdi : Route Queries

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me with the route to Shirdi from bangalore? I'm planning to do this during Christmas holidays.

My places of interest are Bangalore to Shirdi - Pune (good for shopping and rest)- Kolhapur (mahalakshmi temple) - hubli (some friends place) and back to bangalore.

Please suggest the shortest way to shirdi and from there i guess i would have to take the nasik road to pune. and follow the NH 4 from there back to bangalore.

I would be travelling in my Corsa along with my wife and friend and his wife. Any inputs on the road conditions would also help...

Thanks in advance....
Old 6th December 2007, 07:27   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Do you have any specific scheduling about Pune, Kolhapur & Shirdi ? Are you also planning to go to Nasik or any other place ?
Old 6th December 2007, 07:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, you dont have much choice for the places you want to visit. NH-4 all the way to Pune. You will pass via Kolhapur & Hubli both ways. This route is almost completely on highways. Reg road conditions, check our recent threads for NH-4.

Pune to Shirdi : Pune - Sangamner - Manchar - Rajgurunagar - Chakan - Shirdi.
This is the standard Pune-Shirdi route.

Retrace your route to return.
Old 6th December 2007, 09:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Gautam,

Apart frm the NH4 option, you can also take the following route:

NH4 Bangalore-Chitradurga
NH13 Chitradurga-Hospet-Bijapur-Solapur
NH9 Solapur-Tembhurni
Tembhurni-Beed-Ahmednagar-Srirampur-Shirdi

This would be the shortest route but not necessarily the fastest since (a) there is no doube road beyond Chitradurga, unlike NH4, (b) roads are bad in some sections on NH13.

Condor's route plan is optimal for you becaus eyou wish to go to Hubli, Kolhapur.

You don't have to touch Nashik to go to Shirdi since you turn off the Pune-Nashik highway at Sangamaner. So if you want to cover Nashik, you have to go further 90 kms (one way) and back.
Old 6th December 2007, 19:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
NH13 Chitradurga-Hospet-Bijapur-Solapur
NH9 Solapur-Tembhurni
Since NH13 is not at its best. You can take the following route which is in excellent condition:
Hiriyur - Challikere - Bellary turn left on NH63 towards Hospet

Bellary - Hospet is bad but still you can avg out 50km in this stretch...

For fast route take NH4 to Pune
Abhi
Old 8th December 2007, 00:29   #6
BHPian

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Abhi i think i will follow that. as im used to the NH4 till mumbai id rather stick to that and retrace the same way back.

Will post my travelogue once i complete this...

Thanks again to all you guys.
Old 8th December 2007, 09:30   #7
rkg
Senior - BHPian

you can follow what Kumar has said.ifyou are interested in history, religion better halt at bijapur ( start from banaglore in the morning reacg bijapur via chitradurga by 3 PM). visit bijapur fort, mausoleum( world's second larget dome without support after st peter's dome in vatican).stay over night at bijapur

morning go to pandharpur- visit the temple- then either to aurangabad-grishneswar-ellora-ajanta-shirdi-nasik-triambakeswar-pune-bangalore

or pandharpur - ahmednagar ( visit the tank museum,it is said to be one of the best)- reach shirdi by night. from shirdi you can go to nasik- trimbakeswar-pune-banaglore
it will make a good six to seven days trip
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2007, 00:10   #8
BHPian

Hey Thanks rkg. that is a wonderfull route to consider too. let me finalize on this before the 22nd of december and will let you guys know.

Thank again.
Old 13th December 2007, 09:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for similar info..so CorsaLove, i hope u dont mind me sharing your thread...

i have no fixed date for my travel.. but just trying explore if i can make it on my car as well

i have few relatives in Nasik so can plan to stay there( i guess shirdi is closeby)

What i want to know from you guys is how stressful this journey will be

i am the only driver in the family so worried that 1000 km+ would break me into pieces..

But the advantage of taking my car is that i can plan for more sightseeing around pune as well

What do you guys suggest ?

I am curious to know the road conditions.. can i expect it to be a smooth drive all the way as that would make it less stressful for a single driver.
Old 13th December 2007, 11:05   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Raj, just drive safe & within your limits. Dont stretch yourself. Plan your breaks, and take your time. You will be fine.
Old 13th December 2007, 11:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I
What i want to know from you guys is how stressful this journey will be

i am the only driver in the family so worried that 1000 km+ would break me into pieces..

But the advantage of taking my car is that i can plan for more sightseeing around pune as well

What do you guys suggest ?

I am curious to know the road conditions.. can i expect it to be a smooth drive all the way as that would make it less stressful for a single driver.
Drive, drive and drive. It is a lovely drive notwithstanding some bad roads. And when you drive down, you have so many places to detour to en route and all the flexibility of time and routing at your disposal. The way teh roads are today, driving 1000 plus kms is no problem at all.
Old 13th December 2007, 11:21   #12
rkg
Senior - BHPian

i went to shirdi last january by train. stayed overnight there in shirdi. morning left by taxi to ajanta via ellora-grishneswar( grishneswar jyotirlinga is just half km from ellora caves)
returned by evening to aurangabad. morning visited ellora caves and daulatbad fort- aurangabad.
morning left by bus and taxi to daund to catch train to bangy.

what i feel is it is better to go up to bijapur ( may be 600 km)stay there from there it will be 100-200 km between every place.

Last edited by rkg : 13th December 2007 at 11:23.
Old 13th December 2007, 14:59   #13
KVS
BHPian

Normal route we take to shirdi from pune is via Ahmednagar. Road till Nagar is very good. Nagar to Shirdi is Good. Normally it takes 4 to 4.5 hrs to reach shirdi.

I can suggest a route if you can let me know the no of days you have at your disposal.

These are the places to visit in the order given below
1. Pune
2. Aurangabad
3. Ellora
4. Ghrineshwar (Jyotirlinga)
5. Ajanta (One day extra)
6. Shani Singanapur (Old Shani temple)
7. Shirdi
8. Nashik and Triambakeshwar (Jyotirlinga)
9. Bhima Shankar (Jyotirlinga) - You need to take a detour from Mancher - Drive is excellent in Sahyadri mountains. Not many people know about it.
10. Pune

In your return journey you can go to Mahabaleshar/Panchagani to taste some good Strawberries. You need to take detour from NH4 before Satara at Wai..

Hope this helps.

Cheers

KVS
Old 16th December 2007, 12:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hey KVS,

All the places you included are really interesting.. includes 3 jyothirlinga + Shirdi + Shignapur...moreover, I'm also interested driving thru sahyadri and Mahabaleshwar would be a bonus while return journey..

Can you please let me know the exact route and how many days (approx) it should take to cover these places!!! I'm going to start from Bangalore.

I'm the only enthu driver in family, so also let me know decent places to stay and break while journey.
thanks in advance..

Last edited by Ketan : 16th December 2007 at 12:52.
Old 16th December 2007, 20:14   #15
KVS
BHPian

Dear Ketan,

I will give you a tentative plan from Pune. There are certain things I am assuming like no night driving, Not driving more than 250 to 300 Kms per day etc..

Day 1:
  • Start early morning from Pune reach Aurangabad (It takes 4 to 5 hrs to reach)
  • Check in a hotel.
  • Visit Daulatabad, Ellora and Grhisneshwar
  • Night stay at Aurangabad
Day 2:
  • Visit Ajanta and back to Aurangabad
  • Sight seeing Aurangabad (Lot of places in Aurangabad)
  • Night stay at Aurangabad
Day 3:
  • Start early to Shani singanpur (will take about 2 hrs)
  • Vist temple and pooja
  • Reach Shirdi by Afternoon
  • Check in into a hotel (MTDC hotel is good)
  • Finish Darshan
  • Night stay at Shirdi
Day 4:
  • Start early to Triambakeshwar (Should take 2.5 to 3 hrs (Do not know about the road conditions))
  • After Darshan reach Nashik. (
  • Local sight seeing - Lot of places to see in Nashik
  • Night stay at Nashik
Day 5:
  • Start from nashik to Bhima Shankar (You may encounter lot of fog near Bhima shankar)
  • You need to take a deveation from Manchar for BS. It is around 60 Kms
  • From Bhima Shankar you can reach Pune.
There are many Astha Vinayak temples in your route. Depending on the time you can visit them
  1. Ranjan Gao
  2. On your way back (from Nashik) you get three Astha Vinak temples.
If you are hard pressed for time you cn drop Ajanta to gain one day.

Cheers

KVS

Most Viewed