Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2011, 08:25   #106
J.Ravi

re: Bangalore, Chennai via Chittoor : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangalorean View Post
he smilingly asked for "entry fee into AP". For a moment I thought it was some official toll and asked him how much. He said, "give whatever you want". That's when I realized that the goon was asking for bribe! I refused and drove off.
I too experienced this and refused to pay the AP RTO guys when I drove through this route many years back. I am shocked to hear this continues unabated even now.
Quote:
After that, its the old dual carriageway via Chittoor, till Ranipet.
It is single carriageway with two lanes.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 6th May 2011 at 08:48.

Old 4th July 2011, 12:00   #107
BHPian

Anybody taken this route recently ? Any updates.
Old 4th July 2011, 18:10   #108
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
Took this route upto Chitoor on the way to Tirupati in April. Roads are good all the way. 4 laning is complete from KR Puram to Mulbagal and then it's 2 lane undivided road but no issues.
You may want to see some earlier posts as well since they are quite recent (like @Bangalorean's post #105).

EDIT:Take this road if you stay close to the side of the city where it is easy to cross KR Puram, otherwise take the GQ route via Hosur.

Last edited by NPV : 4th July 2011 at 18:12.
Old 5th July 2011, 10:10   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
Hi

Since the advent of the GQ route the Kolar route is not very impressive. Trucks are high and also from KR puram traffic piles up. Due to two way traffic the driving is hindered if you plan to go to Tirupati from Chennai may be you could use this (albeit a bit long than the Puttur,Nagari route).

To beat traffic on the after crossing Krishnagiri best time to travel would be either post 5pm from Chennai or before 6 am from Chennai and the same will hold good for return too. Believe me have reached Chennai -Saligramam from Bangalore-Sanjay nagar in 4hr flat with a tea break in between left BLR at 5:30hrs and reached by 09:30hrs on GQ. Speed was 90-100 kph through and through , no overspeeding no slow trucks or irritating bikes on the wrong side.

Cheers
Prasad
Old 5th July 2011, 12:24   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
best time to travel would be either post 5pm from Chennai or before 6 am from Chennai and the same will hold good for return too.
Did you mean before 5pm from Madras ? 5-10pm its a pain to get out of the city. I once took 2.5 hrs to reach Sriperumbudur starting at 545pm from T.Nagar
Old 5th July 2011, 16:49   #111
BHPian

+1 to that.
You could also leave at 7pm (I had once left at 7pm and reached K'giri by 10pm with a dinner break at Poonamallee-motel highway). The sole reason was to beat traffic at Hosur and Electronic city. I have also taken 2 hrs to reach poonamallee from saligramam when i took the porur route near about the same time you have mentioned.
Old 23rd August 2011, 08:50   #112

Could you please let me know how is the road quality from Ranipet to KR Puram. The toll charges are very high and is not worth reaching my home in KR Puram through city traffic even if I come through Athibele Varthur road. Any recent trips. Is the road good?
Old 23rd August 2011, 09:34   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinothkc View Post
Could you please let me know how is the road quality from Ranipet to KR Puram. The toll charges are very high and is not worth reaching my home in KR Puram through city traffic even if I come through Athibele Varthur road. Any recent trips. Is the road good?
Its 4L between Bangalore-Mulbagal (toll booths not up yet I think).]
Mulbagal to Chitoor is very decent 2L. Not sure about Chittoor Ranipet.
Old 29th August 2011, 11:47   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its 4L between Bangalore-Mulbagal (toll booths not up yet I think).]
Mulbagal to Chitoor is very decent 2L. Not sure about Chittoor Ranipet.

Thanks for your note... I pulled right on NH207 toward Chithoor and no regrets. Chennai to Ranipet on NH207 is amazingly good. Ranipet Chithoor is decent 2 road... though overtakings are a bit difficult as you might end up stuck between long trailers who dont leave any space between them for you to duck in between ...

Mulbagal to ITPL (where I work), I covered in less than 90 minutes on my Baleno.. These roads remind you of Hubli-Bangalore NH4. You can cruise fast without any issues... Watchout of those tractors and intelligent people who might surprise you travelling onward with headlights on thinking they have done everything to cover in the rule book.

Last edited by bblost : 29th August 2011 at 12:32. Reason: Please refer forum rules. Specifically rule 11. Also no more than 2 smileys per post.
vinothkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 13:41   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinothkc View Post
Thanks for your note... I pulled right on NH207 toward Chithoor and no regrets. Chennai to Ranipet on NH207 is amazingly good. Ranipet Chithoor is decent 2 road... though overtakings are a bit difficult as you might end up stuck between long trailers who dont leave any space between them for you to duck in between
Great to hear this update. I hope you meant NH4 and not NH 207.
I am not sure about the 4L plan beyond Mulbagal.
Old 29th August 2011, 15:54   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Great to hear this update. I hope you meant NH4 and not NH 207.
I am not sure about the 4L plan beyond Mulbagal.
Agree with you.. Not sure why I wrote NH207... Good thing as of last wednesday the toll booths are not functional... So its just a pass through. But once they come up,
Old 5th September 2011, 16:25   #117
Senior - BHPian

Ranipet to Chitoor is usually good to decent. How is Chitoor to Palmaner and Palmaner to Mulbagal these days? You can either make up a lot of time in this sector or lose time depending on the traffic.

I think its time to take this road once again to check it out.
Old 6th September 2011, 00:25   #118

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Ranipet to Chitoor is usually good to decent. How is Chitoor to Palmaner and Palmaner to Mulbagal these days? You can either make up a lot of time in this sector or lose time depending on the traffic.

I drove on 1st September from Bangalore to Chennai... Good road all the way... KR Puram to Mulbagal is a good double lane stretch and u could cover this in no time... From there all the way to Palamner is again with some bends etc but nothing to complain.... Palamner Chithoor is again good single road where u can do 100 to 110 without any issues. Lookout for onward traffic.... Then comes the ghat section where u confine urself to 80kmph... Again roads are good all the way till Ranipet outer... Not a stretch of bad road at all... No tolls operational though 2 tolls are completely done... I do Kaggadasapura to Anna Nagar in just 320 kms...

Last edited by manson : 6th September 2011 at 00:53. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 07:20   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post

BLR-Mulbagal 4L is almost complete but without toll. So the best time to drive!
Mulbagal-Palamaner-Chitoor is good 2L and very decent.
Old 7th September 2011, 13:09   #120
Senior - BHPian

I drove from Hyderabad- Chennai on Saturday.
From Devanahalli took Vijaypura-Kolar-Mulbagal-Chittor-Ranipet-Channai route.
Devanahalli-Vijaypura decent dual carriage road and Vijaypura has a bypass.
Vijaypura-Kolar good roads
Kolar Mulbagal Four lane without toll.
Mulbagal-to A.P border average occasional potholes.
A.P border to via Chittor to Ranipet excellent road.
Ranipet-Sriperambadur four lane.
Sriperambadur-Tambaram is good in shape need to ask for directions.

Return from Chennai

Tambaram-Sriperambadur-Pallikonda-Gudiyatham-V.Kote-Mulbagal-Vijaypur-Devanahalli

Tambaram-Sriperabadur I missed road and I came through Dakas-Nallur and reached Kodambakkam-Sriperambadur road which is pretty bad.
Sripermbadur-Pallikonda four laned
Pallikonda-Gudiyatham-Peranampattu single road Good not much traffic.
Peranampattu-V.Kote Single road occasinal potholes. Road surface is average.Town traffic.A small Ghat section V.Kote-Mulbagal is in good condition.
Mulbagal-Kolar-Vemgal-Vijaypura-Devanahalli in good condition.

Last edited by gajadonga : 7th September 2011 at 13:22.
gajadonga is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed