Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2014, 15:25   #211
BHPian

re: Bangalore, Chennai via Chittoor : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
- Bangalore to Mulbagal : 4 lane continues to be superb
- Mulbagal - Andhra border : 4 laning mostly complete and in brand new condition
- Andhra border - Walajahpet : Two lane road in very good condition. Driving through Palamaneru, Ranipet and Walajahpet will slow you down
-
One of my fellow passengers has raised a question of truck traffic and resultant slowdown/delay. How is this route regarding traffic and cruising speeds?
Old 28th December 2014, 06:12   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinnair View Post
One of my fellow passengers has raised a question of truck traffic and resultant slowdown/delay. How is this route regarding traffic and cruising speeds?
That is certainly a concern in this route. As a driver, unless one is comfortable driving in 2 lanes with the knack of overtaking, this route will seriously dampen your average speed. The truck traffic is heavy as this is a major connection to the now Andhra Pradesh with a few towns/villages to cross and your average will be in the likes of 60-70km/hr.
Old 28th December 2014, 08:50   #213
BHPian

This route is certainly my favorite. As having done innumerable trips the joy of the ride is certainly to be accompanied with the skill of the driver. If you have a good idea and knack of overtaking and judgemental driving this is the route.
Old 29th December 2014, 18:22   #214
BHPian

I drove from Chennai to Bangalore via this route on 27th Dec and back on 28th.

We were a total of 8 people in two cars. Our meetup point was the Sri Motel Highway Jains in Poonamalee at 6:00 am. They had only coffee and Pongal, so had to gulp that down. Highway cruising at about 80-100 kmph till Ranipet. Got lost in Ranipet because Google Maps decided it was a nice time to play timelag with us; we used the stop for tea, and then started off again.
The road was good condition single lane for the most part, and an enjoyable experience. Truck traffic was low but slow moving whenever we were stuck behind them. Stopped for breakfast and stretches at Mr and Mrs Idli just before Palamaner. They have so many ads on the approach it just made us hungry. Plus it looked like a place with a decent loo. (we were right, and I reckon this is an important factor determining where you stop on the highway). That was the only stop. After curving past beautiful hills, the road becomes a tolled 4 lane from Mulbagal onwards. Road under construction just before this. In patches, the road has been freshly surfaced, and the tarmac is jet black, and after the harsh tyre noise from concrete, the tarmac looks and feels like black velvet.

The 4 lane is made for excellent speeds, and a pleasure till KR Puram. From here, Bangalore's infamous traffic makes itself felt. Reached Kamnahalli by about 1:00 pm.

On the return leg, started off at 10:30 am after waking late, arguements with Service apartment staff, breakfast(s) and lots of selfies and groupfies. I was expecting to get back on the same tankful, but the needle was below the half mark. Filled Rs 500 worth of juice from an IOC pump. Quick work of the 4 lane stretch, except where Google Maps deemed a jaunt through the middle of Mulbagal was the way to go. Mistimed a coffee break just before Palamaner, since we were expecting to stop for Lunch at Mr and Mrs Idli, but didnt realise we were so close. Lost about a 100 minutes in both breaks. Slightly heavier traffic than before till Ranipet.

We wanted to stop at Ranipet for tea, (past 4:00 pm) but it is difficult to judge good cafes in a town when moving. So shot past, and stopped at a tiffin place on the highway. Turns out they had no tea, and we were just 500 m before the Ranipet toll, rapidly congesting into 500 m long queues. Crossed the toll, stopped for tea, felt the fatigue, and drove nonstop till I reached Porur at about 7:00 pm

My two bits-recommended route for entering Bangalore from the northern side. My personal lesson has been to time my breaks better.
Old 18th October 2015, 13:27   #215

Guys,
Any update on this route this year? I am planning a Chennai trip Wednesday morning 6 am and wanted to choose between this route and Hosur. I prefer Chittoor since I live in East Bangalore and I have always had poor luck with the truck traffic out of Hosur.

If road conditions are similar to last year then I would prefer Chittoor.

Thanks in advance
Old 19th October 2015, 09:46   #216
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonsharim View Post
Any update on this route this year? I am planning a Chennai trip Wednesday morning 6 am and wanted to choose between this route and Hosur. I prefer Chittoor since I live in East Bangalore and I have always had poor luck with the truck traffic out of Hosur.
I would suggest start earlier - 5am or whereabouts if taking the Chittoor route.
The Chittoor route is good and you have 4 lane with tolls upto the Karnataka-AP border after which it becomes 2 lane but road condition is good. The earlier start will ensure you don't get stuck behind buses/trucks on the 2 lane stretch.

Other alternative is to of course the Hosur route, maybe better still if you can start at 4:30am and stop at Sai Sangeet near the Vaniyambadi toll (about 150Km from Bangalore) for breakfast and proceed to Chennai as you can reach there by 9am-10am
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 21:31   #217
BHPian

Did anyone travelled in this route recently? Checking road condition from Chittor to Bangalore.
Old 13th July 2016, 09:00   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Beast View Post
Did anyone travelled in this route recently? Checking road condition from Chittor to Bangalore.
Hello Black_Beast. I travelled twice last month on this stretch between Bangalore & Tirupati. So I can only comment on the roads between Bangalore-Chittoor for you. I've not done Chittoor-Chennai stretch.
Chittoor to AP-Karnataka border is 2-lane undivided highway with lots of truck traffic but good/smooth tarmac. Nothing alarming as long as you are prepared for some overtaking manuvers. Expect slow traffic in Palamner and Bangarupalem towns.
AP-KA Border (near Mulbagal) to Bangalore is 4-lane tolled highway with super-smooth roads. Hope this helps.

Last edited by srvm : 13th July 2016 at 09:02.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 09:35   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Beast View Post
I did Chennai-Bangalore twice in June via this route and roads are overall in decent condition.
Bangalore to AP border it is 4 lane highway and after that its 2 lane highway all the way until you join NH 48 at Walajapet. Depending on the day or time of your travel, you might get Tirupati bound traffic till Chittoor, otherwise it is regular freight and government buses.
After Chittoor, it is gradual descend and traffic would be very sparse except for the drive through Ranipet town.
NH 48 was developing lot of potholes after the rains and mostly it would be bumpy throughout the last stretch.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 17:28   #220
BHPian

Re: Bangalore, Chennai via Chittoor : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
That is certainly a concern in this route. As a driver, unless one is comfortable driving in 2 lanes with the knack of overtaking, this route will seriously dampen your average speed. The truck traffic is heavy as this is a major connection to the now Andhra Pradesh with a few towns/villages to cross and your average will be in the likes of 60-70km/hr.
Additionally, one shall encounter a level crossing in this two lane stretch (presumably the Bangalore-Hyderabad railway line) where the gates close for 10-15 minutes. The train frequency on this line is quite high. This usually leads to traffic blockage and requires 30-45 minutes for a car to come out of.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 16th July 2016 at 17:30.
Old 19th April 2017, 16:06   #221
BHPian

Any recent updates on this route? I'm looking to do a road trip to Bangalore for the May 1st long weekend. Is it a good idea to consider this route or better to stick with the usual route via Vellore - Krishnagiri - Hosur?
Old 19th April 2017, 19:05   #222
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
Any recent updates on this route? I'm looking to do a road trip to Bangalore for the May 1st long weekend. Is it a good idea to consider this route or better to stick with the usual route via Vellore - Krishnagiri - Hosur?
Route is good - 4 lane till KA-AP border (just past Mulbagal), then 2 laned.

May be a good option on a long/holiday weekend as the Hosur-Krishnagiri route may have clogged toll plazas.

I'd suggest you start early, say 5am at least.

Some options for breaks are:
1. Around Kolar - Woodys, Maiyas, Adigas, etc
2. Near Bangarupalayam - Nandi Plaza
3. Chittoor - Hotel Bans & Coffee Day
4. Few more Coffee Day outlets enroute
5. Ranipet - MGM Highway Resort
6. Kanchipuram - Hotel Saravana Bhavan, others
7. Arcot - A2B

From Ranipet or Walajahpet you can join the Krishnagiri-Chennai NH 48 highway.

Last edited by NPV : 19th April 2017 at 19:09.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 19:31   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Completely agree with NPV here. I've done this route 4 times last year alone. Just that he has stated it in the opposite direction presuming that you are going from Bangalore to Chennai. Just read it the other way around since you are doing Chennai-to-Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Route is good - 4 lane till KA-AP border (just past Mulbagal), then 2 laned.

May be a good option on a long/holiday weekend as the Hosur-Krishnagiri route may have clogged toll plazas.
From Ranipet or Walajahpet you can join the Krishnagiri-Chennai NH 48 highway.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 10:36   #224
BHPian

Quote:
For food and bio break, there is also Murugan Idly Shop after Kanchi bypass just before Kaveripakkam (on your left while coming from Chennai).
Nice food with clean restrooms and ample parking space.
You can break here if you plan to take Chittoor route. Chennasamudram toll plaza is about 8kms after this place. You'll have to take a right turn soon after the toll plaza to get into Walajahpet-Ranipet section.

MODS: Sorry for back to back posts. Kindly merge with previous post.

Last edited by srvm : 20th April 2017 at 10:37.
Old 26th April 2017, 11:40   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
For food and bio break, there is also Murugan Idly Shop after Kanchi bypass just before Kaveripakkam (on your left while coming from Chennai).
Nice food with clean restrooms and ample parking space.
You can break here if you plan to take Chittoor route. Chennasamudram toll plaza is about 8kms after this place. You'll have to take a right turn soon after the toll plaza to get into Walajahpet-Ranipet section.

MODS: Sorry for back to back posts. Kindly merge with previous post.
Thank you for all the info. Having decided that I'll try this route this time, can you please let me how much time would it take to reach my hotel near Vidhana Sauda from Hoskote? Also let me know the route as it's completely new to me.

I'll be most likely starting from Velachery at 10 AM - an early start is ruled out as I have other appointments till then. Can I expect to reach before it gets dark assuming 2-3 stops on the way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks