Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2007, 13:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore, Chennai via Chittoor : Route Queries

I would like some current info on the Bangalore-Chittoor-Chennai road. I did a search in the forum, and the only negative compared to Hosur-Krishnagiri route seems to be that it passes thru many towns. If this is the only point, I think I would try this route. Is the road condition good (like in being without potholes and not too many speed breakers when passing thru those towns)? Thanx.
Old 6th December 2007, 17:04   #2
BHPian

Plenty of similar threads exist, pls perform a search before posting a new thread.
Old 6th December 2007, 18:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Proxima, i had done a search for this route query. Though there is lot of info about Chennai-Krishnagiri-Bangalore route, not much info about Chittoor route. I wanted some "current " info, that is why this thread.
Old 6th December 2007, 18:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I would like some current info on the Bangalore-Chittoor-Chennai road. I did a search in the forum, and the only negative compared to Hosur-Krishnagiri route seems to be that it passes thru many towns. If this is the only point, I think I would try this route. Is the road condition good (like in being without potholes and not too many speed breakers when passing thru those towns)? Thanx.
It is a nice drive if you do it in daytime. You may not enjoy it in the night time. Roads are generally good.
If you are coming to visit South bangalore then better to take Krishnagiri route and return via Kolar, Chittoor route. Do the vice versa if your place of visit in East and North bangalore.

There are nice food joints across, pls search the forum.

Abhi
Old 6th December 2007, 19:30   #5
BHPian

It is exactly where in Bangalore you would like to reach. Route via Krishnagiri is a breeze and will take you to Koramangala. Route via Kolar is conventional 2 lane and you will end up reaching Hoskote and further in to Ring road.

Route via chittoor is also OK. On a mileage front I would always prefer to take krishnagiri route.
Old 6th December 2007, 22:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Here's my last update on this route. This was in September end. I haven't done that route since then. Its NH4 and its generally kept in very good condition. Dunno how it is right now during the NE Monsoon.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...old-new-2.html

I think its in Palmaner where they've laid a center divider, so you can't overtake there. If you are stuck behind a bus you'll have to wait till he moves. However its a small town so nothing to worry about.

You will have to drive through Ranipet town, Palmaner town and another small town whose name just eludes me. Chitoor, Mulbagal, Kolar all have bypasses.

If you like a nice drive do take this road. Lots of trees on the road sides, so if you have packed breakfast/lunch, you can have a nice stopover. You can't do that on the GQ. Heaven forbid if you get a flat tyre during summer in the GQ!!!

Lot of Dhabas, hotels, reliance A1 in this route.

Make sure you don't get to K.R. Puram during peak hours, morning or evening. Its EC on the GQ route and KR Puram for NH4.
Old 7th December 2007, 13:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

akroy --> thanx for the info : I am planning to do it in the daytime, so I guess it should be OK.

Dhanasekharan --> I am going from Bangalore to Chennai. Leaving from Trininty Circle : so Chittoor route is easier to reach for me.

csentil --> Thanx for the abundant info :-) this is the kind of info I was looking for. I am leaning to the Chittoor route, but not yet decided.
Old 7th December 2007, 21:36   #8
BANNED

In case you didn't know already, the route is

Bangalore - Hosakote - Kolar - Mulbagal - Palamner - Chittoor - Ranipet - Walajapet - Sriperumbudur.

There is some roadwork happening near the Chittoor bypass so please be prepared for some traffic jams. Nothing major but the feeling is irritating when you're doing good speeds.

Negatives: Until you cross Hosakote, you won't get the highway feel. Lots of traffic until then.
2 lane almost throughout so overtaking requires planning compared to the GQ.
Just before Palamner, you might be flagged down at the Checkpost, be prepared for people jumping in front of your vehicle waving a stick. There is a narrow bridge just after the checkpost so watch out if you dodge the RTO guy.
You have to pass through Palamner town where you cannot overtake.
You have to pass through the outskirts of Ranipet and Walajapet.

Positives: Scenic and entertaining compared to GQ.
Loads of places to stop and eat.

Recommended places:
Kamat Upachar - LHS just before Kolar bypass and near the IOC bunk.
Woody's - RHS just after Kolar bypass
Cafe Coffee Day - almost immediately after Woody's on the right
IOC Nandini - Chittoor bypass, on the left. Not so clean toilets.
MGM Virundu - after BHEL and before Ranipet, on the RHS.
Reliance A1 plaza - after the Samudram toll plaza on the RHS
Old 15th December 2007, 23:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

I finally took the Hosur route : decided to try the Chittoor route the next time. Left Bangalore at 10:10am, and reached Porur at 15:40. There are a couple of places after we leave Bangalore and before reaching Hosur, where there was a lot of traffic, andsome delay due to that. Apart from that, it was smooth driving all the way. Thanks.
Old 16th December 2007, 13:06   #10
BANNED

Latest update: The road from Chittor towards Palamner is broken in places. No major damage but still enough for me to report here. This route is best done in daylight now. I think the rains and tipper lorry overdose on this stretch have taken their toll.

The ghat section before Palamner (towards Bangalore) continues to be great and this stretch is still perfect.
Old 17th December 2007, 18:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Latest update: The road from Chittor towards Palamner is broken in places. No major damage but still enough for me to report here. This route is best done in daylight now. I think the rains and tipper lorry overdose on this stretch have taken their toll.

The ghat section before Palamner (towards Bangalore) continues to be great and this stretch is still perfect.
Damn, was planning this route again as its a driver delight. When I came via this route in September it had broken up in places between Ranipet & Chitoor. Now its the other side !!!
Old 17th December 2007, 21:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

i prefer the hosur, krishnagiri, vellore route rather than this one even though i stay near KR Puram. Tension less travel. May be till we cross Hosur. Once you join the NH and the toll road begins, its pleasure driving.
Old 12th May 2008, 19:16   #13
BANNED

Update on NH4 between Chennai and Bangalore:

Except for a very small stretch between Chittoor and Palamner, the route is back to its old glory. There is some roadwork happening just as you enter AP (from TN) and there are 2 diversions on temporary roads.

4 laning activity has started after Mulbagal (no roads yet but the beautiful trees are gone and the foundation for the roads are being readied). The ghat section (Chittoor - Palamner) is still a beauty but I was sad to see the trees after Mulbagal all gone.

Overall, this is still a driver's delight compared to the GQ which is a top speed test track and not much more.

Last edited by hrag : 12th May 2008 at 19:20.
Old 12th May 2008, 20:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

All trees between Kolar and Bangalore? Damn, it is one of the shadiest roads around. Even Mulbagal to Kolar has or rather had plenty of nice big trees. Seems most of them were kept during the British Raj.

Signs of progress !! Sigh !!
Old 12th May 2008, 21:41   #15
BHPian

Sad to hear that the trees on the Kolar - Blore NH4 have been chopped off. I have countless memories of this road since childhood. The Gulmohar trees in full bloom beside the rocky hillocks was a beautiful sight. Before the GQ came up, most private cars preferred this route.. truly a drivers delight.

Most Viewed