Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2022, 22:44   #76
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Thanjavur : Route Queries

Please try the route via garbarakshambugai temple for kumbakonam from Tanjore. The original route has twists and might be nauseous for the kid. Also near Kumbakonam you have tiruvidaimarudhur an extremely famous big and special temple. Lord shiva himself taught the priests how to perform Puja. That’s why the lingam here is called mahalingam. It’s just 3 kms from kumbakonam.

And if you are visiting chidambaram please do between 9 and 10 AM. There is a very special Ruby statue of Natarajar which they take out only during this period for performing the abhishekam and puja.
prabhuferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 15:30   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikramCS View Post
Day 1: BLR - Srirangam (planned start time 06:30AM-ish):
Reach Srirangam by Noon, check-into hotel (To be decided)
Post lunch, cover Srirangam temple
Evening cover Jamukeshwara temple
Retire for the day
By the time you reach Trichy and hit the temple; it can be touch and go. I would say leave by 0400 and you can make it by 0900 and then you can visit Thiruvanaikaval. Plan Srirangam in the evening. Its quite possible the temple may close for different sevaas. Hence it would better to keep the evening free. Thiruvanaikaval closes by 11 and then opens later. You may want to plan accordingly. There is also Rockfort in case you want to.

Quote:
Day 2: Post break-fast, drive to Thanjavur, reach Brihadeeshwara temple b y10AM
Spend about 2 hours, complete lunch, proceed to Kumbhakonam
Cover following temples:
1. Airavateshwara temple
2. Adi Kumbeshwara temple
3. Sarangapani temple (if time permits)

If you can start by 0800 you can make it to Tanjore in 60-80 min depending on how much time it takes to exit Trichy. If you can cover Tanjore before lunch then post lunch you can drive to Airavateshwar temple see around and check in to hotel by 5. Freshen up and then cover Kumbeshwara and Saaranagapani temples. (You can use an Auto for this one).

Quote:
Day 3: Post break-fast, proceed to Chidambaram - Nataraja temple, plan to reach by 10AM
Post lunch, drive to Arunachaleshwara Temple, Thiruvannamalai

I thought after covering Thiruvannamali temple, i could reach Bangalore the same night, however, i don't prefer to drive at night, hence, planning to stay overnight here

Day 4: Cover Sathanur Dam and Crocodile park and drive back to Bangalore.
This is OK. Start early from KMU. Take the Poompuhar road to go past Mayavaram. Thats is much-much better state and has a fresh coat of tar. I am sure can finish Chidambaram by lunch. Question is by the time you reach Tiruvannamalai it would be evening. (It depends on drive time. Chidambaram-Vridhachalam bypass-Veppur on to GST - Asanur- Thirukkoilure-TV Malai).

I see Google says about 3 hours. But to be safe assume 4.

Sathanur dam is outside TV Malai. So in case you plan to cover the temple the last day then you need plan for Sathanur and drive back to Bangalore.

Quote:
1. Hope this is a feasible plan - please let me know what you think. {i'll travel with wifey and 5-year old daughter }

2. Any inputs on route options/things to specifically keep in mind. I'll also search for specific route threads and pose questions if any.

3. Family oriented places of stay (any recommendations welcome).

4. If there are better temple alternatives (i'm sure there may be plenty), please suggest.
Definitely a feasible plan.

BLR-Trichy-Tanjore-KMU is the regular path.
KMU-Chidambaram: Take Poompuhar road to exit KMU and go past Mayavaram. And there its the route via Vaitheshwaran Kovil to Chidambaram.

Last edited by ampere : 24th September 2022 at 17:38.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 18:56   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
By the time you reach Trichy and hit the temple; it can be touch and go. I would say leave by 0400 and you can make it by 0900 and then you can visit Thiruvanaikaval. Plan Srirangam in the evening.

If you can start by 0800 you can make it to Tanjore in 60-80 min depending on how much time it takes to exit Trichy. Freshen up and then cover Kumbeshwara and Saaranagapani temples. (You can use an Auto for this one). Definitely a feasible plan.

BLR-Trichy-Tanjore-KMU is the regular path.
KMU-Chidambaram: Take Poompuhar road to exit KMU and go past Mayavaram. And there its the route via Vaitheshwaran Kovil to Chidambaram.
Wow! Thank you very much ampere for detailed inputs. I'm fine-tuning my plan as per suggestions. The route recommendations are great, appreciate.

Regards, Vikram
Old 5th December 2022, 14:43   #79
BHPian

Dear All,
Planning for a trip by car to Thanjavur, I have a old parent who cannot sit at a stretch for long period of time. So planning for a break Journey. Start from Bangalore around 4 in the morning, after 4 to 5 hours Journey would plan to take a break and rest at a hotel. From the previous posts the following route is the best.

Bangalore --> Salem --> Namakkal --> Musiri --> Trichy --> Thanjavur (410 KM).

Can you suggest a good place where we find decent hotels and there are few places to see, well known temples or tourist places.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 5th December 2022, 17:24   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRIR45 View Post
Dear All,
Planning for a trip by car to Thanjavur, I have a old parent who cannot sit at a stretch for long period of time. So planning for a break Journey. Start from Bangalore around 4 in the morning, after 4 to 5 hours Journey would plan to take a break and rest at a hotel. From the previous posts the following route is the best.

Bangalore --> Salem --> Namakkal --> Musiri --> Trichy --> Thanjavur (410 KM).

Can you suggest a good place where we find decent hotels and there are few places to see, well known temples or tourist places.

Thanks in Advance.
In this route, the logical stop-over would be Salem. There are many options to stay based on your budget. Radisson/Grand Estancia/CJ Pallazio/Zibe by GRT are over 4k. If you are looking around 2-2.5k the options are Green Ridge and Ashwa Park. Sivaraj Inn could come around 3k.

There isn't much to see in Salem. Rather, on your way to Thanjavur, you could visit the Anjaneyar temple and Narasimhar temple in Namakkal. I'm not aware of any decent stay options in Namakkal - otherwise, you could stretch and stay there.

There is another alternative route from Salem. Avoids the congestion of Musiri and the hassle of crossing Trichy. But it is a 2 lane highway once you turn off at Thalaivasal.
https://goo.gl/maps/zMt3r85L5vcQbres9
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 22:16   #81

What is the current road condition between Tiruvannamalai to Thanjavur any suggestions.
Old 31st December 2022, 14:54   #82
Senior - BHPian

From Salem onwards (Salem -> Karur -> Trichy -> Thanjavur), the roads are good. Some work going on intermittently (flyovers for crossings).

Karur -> Trichy is two lane (post Mayanur) with heavy traffic till Tiruverumbur. After that it is OK.

Due to Cauvery bridge repair work, there is huge traffic pile up between Trichy & Srirangam.

There was huge rush in Thanjavur Big Temple (when we visited on 29th evening). Am told that the crowds will thin out post Pongal holidays.....
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 14:56   #83

Hi Planning to travel from Bangalore to Trichy via KGiri and Salem

Has any one traveled recently in this route? How are the road conditions?

Also please suggest
1. some must visit places in Trichy and Thanjore.
2. Shops to buy thanjore painting
3. Places along the road with hygienic food and decent washrooms
Old 3rd August 2023, 12:56   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhi_22 View Post
Hi Planning to travel from Bangalore to Trichy via KGiri and Salem

Has any one traveled recently in this route? How are the road conditions?

Also please suggest
1. some must visit places in Trichy and Thanjore.
2. Shops to buy thanjore painting
3. Places along the road with hygienic food and decent washrooms
Road conditions are very good all the way. No issues.
1) Trichy and Tanjore - there are hundreds of temples. Important ones to go are Trichy SriRangam, Thiruvanaikoil, Rockfort and in Tanjore - Brihadeeswara Big Temple.
2) Near to Tanjore Big temple, in 300 meteres at that junction, there is restaurant come souvenir shop you can buy. (https://goo.gl/maps/kXvaCjduib6qcUCM9)

3) Umpteen restaurants till Krishnagiri and Salem. Beyond that, Rasipuram A2B which is about 20 kms after salem, and then Namakkal A2B, Trichy Shri Sangeethas are good food restaurants.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks