Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2007, 15:00   #1
BHPian

Bangalore to Thanjavur : Route Queries

Hi,

I am planning a trip from Bangalore to Tanjavur in January. It seems the 'regular' route is Bangalore-Dharmapuri-Salem-Namakkal-Trichy-Tanjore, which is roughly about 400+ Kms.

I can't perhaps drive that in a strech and looking for a place to break the journey. Which is the recommended place for a overnight stop (which also has some sight-seeing points)?

I also contemplated doing Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Thiruvannamalai-Trichy-Tanjore. It seems big longish. I am not sure about the route or road conditions after Thiruvannamalai? Can someone tell me how to make it to Tanjore from TVM?

Thanks!
Old 11th December 2007, 17:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

You should be able to make it comfortably the same day. But if you must stop, maybe Namakkal has some good hotels. Plus you can visit the temple there.

If you chose to go via Tiruvannamalai, ideally you could join NH45 at Tindivanam, and go via Villupuram, Ulundurpet to Trichy. But the NH45 is being widened and is reported to have bad stretches after Villupuram.
Old 11th December 2007, 17:55   #3
BHPian

Had been on the BLR-Kgiri-Thiruvannamalai Road last month.
K'giri - Thiruvannamalai requires a lot of patient driving.. Several bad stretches - hard to stay on 4th gear even on some of the parts.
Old 11th December 2007, 18:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Possible In One Day

Please go thro the travellogues, quite descriptive one from Bangalore to Tanjore. I broke off at Trichry for personal reasons, you can easily push to Tanjore in one day.

--Ramky
Old 11th December 2007, 19:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its better if you stick to the Dharmapuri - Salem route. However please be warned that from Krishnagiri till about 20kms before Salem the roads are bad and this whole stretch is also being widened into a four lane.

Krishnagiri - Tvmalai is also bad after the monsoon. Villupuram to Trichy is being widened.

However if you want to take this route..you could take Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Tiruvannamalai - Thirukoyilur - Ulundurpettai (then join NH45 from there) and then head towards Trichy. However I'm not uptodate on road conditions after Tiruvannamalai.
Old 11th December 2007, 21:01   #6
BHPian

I did a recent trip from blr - salem - trichy - tanjore-blr , did it in one stretch ,took me 8 hrs drive and 1.30 hr break , check http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...onditions.html this thread for my travelogue . The stress full stretch is 30 kms before salem and between namakkal and trichy [dense traffic and nonchalant bus drivers] otherwise pretty good drive and decent roads, regarding sight seeing all i could think of is malaikottai in trichy and there is some fort in namakkal . hotels Gloden palace / Nallas in namakkal , kurinchi / rajasugam in trichy .
Old 12th December 2007, 08:45   #7
BHPian

Thanks guys for your posts and information. Any recommendation of Hotels in Tanjore with their phone numbers? I don't want to take chance for the week of Music festival and wish to book it in advance.
Old 12th December 2007, 11:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hotel Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshastry View Post
Thanks guys for your posts and information. Any recommendation of Hotels in Tanjore with their phone numbers? I don't want to take chance for the week of Music festival and wish to book it in advance.
TTDC: 04362 - 231421, 231325
OK.
Oriental Towers: 04362 - 230724, 231467, 230850
Pricey, but excellent.
email : tnj_hottowers@sancharnet.in
reservations@hotelorientaltowers.com
Homepage: www. orientaltowers.com

--Ramky

Last edited by ramkya1 : 12th December 2007 at 11:56.
Old 12th December 2007, 12:35   #9
BHPian

the roads are bad after the toll road ends, keep your tyre pressure low to sustain these roads,
sudden pot holes of 5-6 inches deep will keep u swearing , try to keep as much to the center of the road (cannot due to oncomming traffic),
take a break at dharmapuri at meenakshi (not sure) hotel to the left. Do not miss the IDLY fry. (I loved it).

Overtake carefully on these roads as construction vehicles will be plying around.
Build up as much speed possible in these 4 lane roads/ toll roads so that you can compensate the time on the bad bumpy patchy roads.

There is also bypass road which connects hosur to thoppur u can take this route aswell, there is not much traffic, neat calm roads except at village stretches
Old 12th December 2007, 12:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Also Hotel Sangam, but very expensive, the first choice for foreign tourists in Thanjavur, same management as Sangam Hotel in Trichy.

Hotel Sangam
Old 12th December 2007, 13:01   #11
BHPian

You can go to Yercaud 20 kms from Salem for sight seeing and stay over night.

Last edited by blorebuddy : 12th December 2007 at 13:03.
Old 13th December 2007, 15:52   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
TTDC: 04362 - 231421, 231325
OK.
Oriental Towers: 04362 - 230724, 231467, 230850
Pricey, but excellent.
email : tnj_hottowers@sancharnet.in
reservations@hotelorientaltowers.com
Homepage: www. orientaltowers.com

--Ramky
Thank you Mr.Ramky. That was very helpful.

All the hotels have already got booked for the music festival. No rooms in TTDC. Managed to get a booking in Oriental towers. Bumped up this thread to alert others who may be headed there for the same reason.
Old 25th January 2008, 18:08   #13
BHPian

Bumping this thread up to get the latest Road conditions from Bangalore to Tanjore. I am starting tomorrow morning. My planned route is BANGALORE - KRISHNAGIRI - SALEM - NAMAKKAL - MUSIRI - TRICHY - TANJORE.

Any update is greatly appreciated!
Old 25th January 2008, 22:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

did this stretch a month back, for christmas holidays, and the route from Krishnagiri to Salem was not that good, but its drivable. lot of patch work was present, but should have been corrected (hopefully) by now.

but due to the 4 laning work, there are some good stretches (recently built ones which are unofficially opened).

the trip, to trichy, took me 7hrs compared to the usual 6hrs.
Old 25th January 2008, 23:47   #15
BHPian

Thiruvannamalai route is bad. full of potholes. You have to go through Chengi , Panruti Neyveli, Kumbakonam , Thanjavur

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks