Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2007, 10:46   #1
BHPian

NH17 in North Kerala

Has the NH17 been repaired post monsoon in North Kerala? The last time I drove from Calicut to Mangalore (that was in September 07) the road was very bad from Taliparamba till about Kasargod. The worst stretch was near the Pariyaram medical college.

Wonder if it's been touched up.

Between Calicut and Kannur the road was pretty good except at places where the flyovers were being built (there are a few of them).
Old 13th December 2007, 11:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

My friend has just driven down in his Scorpio on NH17 in North Kerala, and I talked to him about his experience. He says right from Mangalore, the road is very bad all the way to Mahe (between Kannur and Calicut), but after that it is great. Expect slow speeds and large potholes between Mangalore and Mahe. No signs of repair work, he also says.
Old 13th December 2007, 12:37   #3
BHPian

That's bad.. actually there is some repair work happening on NH17 around Mangalore (saw yesterday at Thokkottu, south of Nethravathi bridge). Gave me false hopes of a weekend drive to Kerala.
Old 13th December 2007, 12:55   #4
BHPian

I did cover some part of NH17(for lack of an alternate route) during Oct/07. The state of road was pretty bad.

Regards
Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
Has the NH17 been repaired post monsoon in North Kerala? The last time I drove from Calicut to Mangalore (that was in September 07) the road was very bad from Taliparamba till about Kasargod. The worst stretch was near the Pariyaram medical college.

Wonder if it's been touched up.

Between Calicut and Kannur the road was pretty good except at places where the flyovers were being built (there are a few of them).
Old 14th December 2007, 00:28   #5
BANNED

The road between Taliparamba and Kasargod was carpet bombed by Bush and Osama together as part of their joint military exercises. The left government of Kerala was very much against this joint operation that they've decided to leave the roads as it is so they don't get another chance of bombing it.
Old 14th December 2007, 00:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
The road between Taliparamba and Kasargod was carpet bombed by Bush and Osama together as part of their joint military exercises. The left government of Kerala was very much against this joint operation that they've decided to leave the roads as it is so they don't get another chance of bombing it.
A distant relative told me last week,that the work to fix this stretch will start only in Feb '08.
The road used to be quite good many years ago. I remember our drive from Calicut to Mangalore,where for the most part the roads were good. Now,with the potholes,it'll be another crazy drive.
Old 30th January 2012, 12:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: NH17 in North Kerala

Any idea what's the condition NH17 north of Calicut now ? Need to travel from Taliparamba to Calicut next weekend. Hope they have done some repairs after October (this road was in absolutely shambles back then).
Old 1st February 2012, 12:35   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: NH17 in North Kerala

Had travelled on that road from Calicut past Vatakara. Roads have imporved a lot from what they were in Oct last. They have patched up most sections. Hence though its a bumpy ride its much better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks