Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2004, 17:45   #1
BHPian

bangalore-mangalore road trip

guys,
am going to mangalore for new year's eve with friends. We were considering driving down in my car. Have any of you driven from b'lore to m'lore? any idea how good the route is? are the ghats scetion dangerous to drive.
also are there some specific things i should get my car checked for, before starting on this trip? I havent gone on this long a trip in my car before[in india that is - in US i have done a 1000km stretch too ]
Old 27th December 2004, 18:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well, i have done quite a few trips to mangy from bangy.........Infact i had been there last weekend.
Route=Bangalore-Kunigal-Chennarayapatna-Hassan-Shakleshpur-Mangalore.
NH-48..... thats the best route... The roads are good..... traffic is moderate. Oh yeah, watch out fo those MRPL tankers and truckies on the ghats..... Recently there has been quite a few blocks on the ghat section- courtesy bad roads and tankers! So be prepared for 2hours+ halt on the ghats. The roads have definately improved a lot since then, yet, it isn't as good as it used to be.
The ghats are really good, the road is pretty broad, at the moment not so great, but, the road improves in the second half of the section....i.e. after a couple of back to back right-left hairpin turns. The ghats are fun to drive, good scenery around and some really neat turns.
And there are a good number of hotels and dhabas on the way, so food isn't a thing to worry about.
Usually it takes round 6 to 7 hours for the 360 odd km journey, but, then if there are any blocks in the ghats it my take longer.

Last edited by shravan316 : 27th December 2004 at 18:22. Reason: Typo errors
Old 27th December 2004, 18:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

bangalore is one of the best places to be in if ur a car freak .
its got some of the best rds --the chennai rd,the hyderabad road ,the mumbai rd and the Mangalore rd .
i think the mangalore rd passes through hassan-nelamangala rd.the ghat section is Ok ,but u can get delayed due to tha long tankers .and if there isa breakdown on the ghat ,only then u can get delayed.
but its worth taking the pain.it wud be better if u start early .its about 400 kms and at decent speeds u shud be able to do it in 6-7hrs including all ur pit stops.
[FONT=Arial]the advantage of starting early from bangalore is that it wud be after noon when u reach mangalore and at this time from 1-4pm the roads do not have much of the dreaded express buses[/FONT][u][b].
before starting--
1.check the condition of ur tires including the spare tire and remove ur jack atleast once to check that that its not jammed .
2.check all the oils--brake oil,engine oil,PS oil.and ur washer fluid.
3.check if all the lights n indicators are working.
4.try to carry extra fuses.
5.check ur Belt .

and before abusing those truckers just think of their driving conditions and the great trouble that they have to take while driving.

drive safe and njoyyyyyyyy ur drive.
Old 27th December 2004, 19:18   #4
BHPian

shravan,satya,
thanks a lot for the info.
Old 12th October 2007, 16:33   #5

Hey guys,

Must have been updated long back, but since no one has bothered to, let me do it:

The road from Bangalore to Mangalore is BAD, looks as if damaged due to mine blasts... never think of using them for the next 6 months...
Old 10th March 2014, 20:00   #6

Re: bangalore-mangalore road trip

Whats the latest on the Bangalore to Mangalore route. Is it as bad as it was a couple of years ago. If i leave Bangalore by 10ish in the morning, how soon will i be able to get to mangalore
Old 10th March 2014, 20:31   #7
BHPian

Hey roads are pretty good now. There is separate thread on this topic , please follow here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ore-udupi.html
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks