Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2007, 19:43   #1
BHPian

Road Trip to Kerala..Need Help

Hi Guys.Been dormant for ages but a few of the old members from Bangalore know me.
4 of us are planning on a 5-6 day trip to Kerala. We plan to leave on 27th Dec morning and be back on 1st or 2nd Jan after celebrating the new year.Spoke to a few of my Mallu friends who suggested places like Wayanad, Calicut, kochi, ernakulam,munnar,vagamon,kumarakom.

Though i have been to kerala before, i do not know the road conditions now. Need help from you guys out there. We need help on places for accomodation(cheap and best.We are students so nothing fancy), sight seeing, route info etc.. Also planning to spend a night on a houseboat if we can get one for cheap.If any of you can help me out with any details it would be appreciated.Thanks in advance guys...
Old 19th December 2007, 19:58   #2
BHPian

Hi Zahed , Nice to see you online after a long time, I am going on a road trip as well, And this is my first trip to Kerala, On the Bike! 4 days, b/w 22 - 26th December , My route is as follows

MUNNAR KODAI TOUR
(22nd December to 25th December 2007)

Bangalore ¨C Kanakapura ¨C Malavalli ¨C Kollegal ¨C Chamarajanagar ¨C Satyamangala

¨C Coimbatore ¨C Pollachi ¨C Top Slip Stay (380 kms) - Day 1

Top Slip ¨C Pollachi ¨C Udumalpettai - Munnar Stay (200 kms)- Day 2

Munnar ¨C Theni Allinagaram ¨C Kodaikanal Stay (140 kms) - Day 3

Kodaikanal ¨C Palani ¨C Dharapuram ¨C Kangeyam ¨C Perundurai ¨C Bhavani ¨C Mettur dam ¨C

Dhamapuri ¨C Palakkodu ¨C Kelamangala ¨C Hosur - Bangalore (415 kms) - (Day 4 & 5)

(380+200+140+415 = 1200 kms)

My advice to you regarding accomodation is try Googling some of the places mentioned + home stay , you must be able to find places for good prices. Have a safe journey!

Last edited by redrage : 19th December 2007 at 20:03.
Old 20th December 2007, 13:39   #3
BHPian

Roads to Kerala seem to be in good condition, as per various threads running currently in TBHP.3 routes have been reported in motorable condition ie;
1)Bangalore - KrishnaGiri - thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani - CBE - PKD - TCR
2)Bangalore - Mysore - Gundlupet - S Battery - Calicut
3)Bangalore - Mysore - Gudallur - Nilambur - PerinthalManna

It looks like you can sefely choose any of these roads as per your itinery.

As far the HouseBoat stay is concerned, I doubt if you will get any cheap options since it is the peak season time and there could be an escalation in the rates. However I can give you the telephone number of the person who arranged the stay for me almost 8 months back. You can try and find out the current rates from him. The service was good during my stay.

Maanikyam Boating Group
Mr Dinesh - 09447 902459 / 0477 2233584(R)
Mr Sibey - 09844 029342

Have a great time and enjoy your vacation.

Last edited by menonrajesh : 20th December 2007 at 13:42.
Old 21st December 2007, 12:51   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Bangalore ¨C Kanakapura ¨C Malavalli ¨C Kollegal ¨C Chamarajanagar ¨C Satyamangala
Would be interested to know the road condition after your trip.
I heard this is very scenic wanted to try once.
Old 29th December 2007, 17:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
Would be interested to know the road condition after your trip.
I heard this is very scenic wanted to try once.
The road condition b/w kanakpura and yelandur is not all that good, after which it really is quite smooth , especially in and around satyamangalam forests. Will post a travelogue soon.
Old 29th December 2007, 17:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Acco @ Kerala

Hai Prince,

The road directions are easy, search here you'd find tonns of material. Best bet would be through Mettur, Coimbatore, Palakkad & Kerala.

Talk to Mr.Shyam C.Pilla, 9846031321 of India Tour and Picnic, 0484 4040997, 4030998, he'd fix up something. You can refer my name, as Ramky from ahmedabad, he'd help you out. Spell out your LOW budgets, ask for a quote.

Hope this helps,

Happy Driving,

Ramky
----------

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks