Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2014, 10:54   #271
BANNED

re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

Guys going to Goa on the 21st. Could you please give me an update on the roads?

Planning to take the NH4 and then passing through Amboli Ghat.

Thank you
Old 14th October 2014, 16:48   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni nambiar View Post
Guys going to Goa on the 21st. Could you please give me an update on the roads?

Planning to take the NH4 and then passing through Amboli Ghat.
Hey Unni, I just did Mumbai Goa over the last weekend and I took NH4 > Amboli to South Goa...The Amboli ghat is broken in patches but nothing much to worry about if you are driving during the day. Post Amboli & just before Sawantwadi, don't take the Left to Panaji (as the board suggests) since the road is horrible till it touches NH17. Instead go through Sawantwadi town and you may save your car from getting bottomed out...

Hope this helps and have a great trip.
Jyotil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 14:13   #273
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotil View Post
Hey Unni, I just did Mumbai Goa over the last weekend and I took NH4 > Amboli to South Goa...The Amboli ghat is broken in patches but nothing much to worry about if you are driving during the day. Post Amboli & just before Sawantwadi, don't take the Left to Panaji (as the board suggests) since the road is horrible till it touches NH17. Instead go through Sawantwadi town and you may save your car from getting bottomed out...

Hope this helps and have a great trip.
Thanks Jyotil. I will be riding to Goa and was planning to take the route that you mentioned. For a change i wanted to take the NH17 but heard that there are less of roads and more of patches. Will stick to NH4 route. Thank you again
Old 16th October 2014, 15:18   #274
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I am travelling with from Pune to Goa on the 21st.
Plan is to stay for a day in Ganpathipule and reach Margoa.
Can you please suggest the best route (good roads).
I will be travelling with wife and kid in swift.

The planned route is
Pune to Ganpathipule via karad, Malkapur, pali

I need help in the route from Ganpathipule to Margoa.
Which roads good to cover Tarkali on the way to goa
Old 18th October 2014, 15:15   #275
Senior - BHPian

Plan tentatively finalized for Ganpatipule this Diwali.

My queries:

1) What is the toll between Thane to Ganpatipule(Via NH 17)
2) Are there any decent family joints for food en route NH 17.
3) How is the current road condition till Ganpatipule?
4) Good petrol pumps on the way where we could tank up.
Old 20th October 2014, 21:26   #276
BHPian

Guys driving to Goa on Thursday. What would be the best route to take to reach North Goa? I intend to take NH4 only.

Any suggestions.

Sid
Old 20th October 2014, 22:38   #277
BHPian

Hi Siddharth,

I have just driven from Goa to Bombay a week ago.
I would suggest the Belgaum, Chorla route as the road is excellent especially the Chorla ghats.
This road will bring you directly to Mapuca (North Goa) and from there you can proceed to your destination.
The route is Poona, Satara, Kolhapur, Belgaum, Peeranwadi, Chorla, Sanquelim, Bicholim, Assonora, Tivim, Mapuca.
Going through Belgaum in the middle of the day can cost you an extra 30 minutes but it's worth it.
From what I have heard the Amboli road is OK. Not great.
Presume you are using a GPS or Google maps?

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 23:05   #278
Senior - BHPian

Guys drving to south goa this week. Planning to take the amboli ghat route since i heard it is very scenic. But seems the roads are bad. Moreover doubt if that is the best route to hit south. Is Belgaum route better considering the fact that we are going to south goa? Will be driving in a Punto.
Old 20th October 2014, 23:32   #279
BHPian

Hi Vibbs,

See my post below.
The Chorla ghat road is excellent and just as scenic.
Once you reach Mapuca you are back on NH17 (but in Goa now), turn left towards Panjim and the road is good all the way to South Goa. Yes! You will get some traffic but nothing to complain about.
When you get to the bridge at Panjim stick to the left and take the left hand side bridge
After the bridge follow the signs to Margao.
Do not break the speed limit on any bridge in Goa.
Have a great trip.

Regards,
SS
Old 23rd October 2014, 18:43   #280

Travel to Goa via Chiplun

Hi!
I plan to drive to Goa from Mumbai. I plan to leave on Oct 28th at 6 am and stop overnight at Chiplun and drive further the next morning. I already have a booking at The Riverview Resort.

1. How long will it take from Mumbai (Andheri) to Chiplun?
2. How are the roads post monsoon?
3. Is the Vithal Kamat Restaurant beyond Wadkhal Naka still in operation?
4. How is the road beyond Chiplun?
5. Where can I have a break on the way to Goa from Chiplun?

Thanks for latest information.

Cheers
Sri
Old 24th October 2014, 19:38   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Vibbs,

See my post below.
Once you reach Mapuca you are back on NH17 (but in Goa now), turn left towards Panjim and the road is good all the way to South Goa. Yes! You will get some traffic but nothing to complain about.
When you get to the bridge at Panjim stick to the left and take the left hand side bridge
Have a great trip.

Regards,
SS
any pointers/suggestions for route to north goa .. thanks

Edit : any suggestions for good eating joints for family

Last edited by navdeep : 24th October 2014 at 19:40. Reason: Edit : Eating joints
Old 24th October 2014, 23:00   #282
BHPian

Re: Travel to Goa via Chiplun

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
any pointers/suggestions for route to north goa .. thanks

Edit : any suggestions for good eating joints for family
See my post below.
Poona, Satara, Kolhapur, Belgaum, Peeranwadi, Chorla, Sanquelim, Bicholim, Assonora, Tivim, Mapuca (North Goa). Should take you 7.5 hours max to Goa.

Sai International is about 34 Kms before Kolhapur. Good food and quite clean.
McD's and KFC at Kolhapur.
Hotel White House on the right hand side of the road (you will have to cross over) just before you start climbing the Tawande Ghat.
Hotel Goa Ways at the top of Tawande Ghat.
McD's, KFC, Subway as you enter Belgaum on your right - next to the Medical College. Several other restaurants/hotels inside Belgaum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri1951 View Post
Hi!
I plan to drive to Goa from Mumbai. I plan to leave on Oct 28th at 6 am and stop overnight at Chiplun and drive further the next morning. I already have a booking at The Riverview Resort.

1. How long will it take from Mumbai (Andheri) to Chiplun?
2. How are the roads post monsoon?
3. Is the Vithal Kamat Restaurant beyond Wadkhal Naka still in operation?
4. How is the road beyond Chiplun?
5. Where can I have a break on the way to Goa from Chiplun?

Thanks for latest information.

Cheers
Sri
I am also leaving Bombay (Andheri - W) on the 28th. at 05.00 hrs. but will be using my usual route - via Poona, Kolhapur & the Chorla Ghat.
Where exactly in Andheri do you live? What car will you be driving?
The last I heard is that some sections of the NH17 - the route you intend to take are not good. I am not sure why you have decided on that route. It is hilly and twists and turns for almost 250Kms after Poladpur. I hope your fellow travellers do not get car sick.
From Chiplun to Goa you should not need a break but if you do then you have the small towns of Rajapur and Kankavali. Otherwise, halt at Sawantwadi.
If I was you and if you are capable of driving for 5 to 6 hours at a stretch then I would seriously consider cancelling your booking at RiverView and using NH4 instead. Overnight at Sai International just before Kolhapur (on the highway) or enter Kolhapur and overnight at one of the hotels there.
Please note that NH17 is a single lane highway most of the way (some parts have been made two lane now) and is a dangerous road (traffic wise) to travel on. I don't mean to put you off but facts are facts. Also, lots of speedbreakers before and after every little village which also slows you down.

Regards,
SS
Old 25th October 2014, 07:43   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Vibbs,

See my post below.
Have a great trip.

Regards,
SS
Thanks for the above, unfortunately google maps messed it up for me. It routed me through Khanapur. I didnt realise that this is a different route from what you mentioned until we were well past the cut to chorla after Belgaum. It was only after going through some really horrible roads did I realise that you had asked to take Chorla Ghat route. The roads from Belgaum to Goa border are Horrible to put it mildly. Once you enter Goa the surface transforms greatly though.

Will make sure that the return trip tomorrow will be through Chorla Ghat.

Last edited by vibbs : 25th October 2014 at 07:46.
Old 25th October 2014, 09:12   #284

Hi!

Thanks for the information. I live in Andheri East close to SEEPZ. I will be driving a Toyota Corrola Altis (petrol). My wife and I are going and both have no problems with the ghats twists and turns.

As to why I am doing this route... I have never gone by this route. I have all the time on hand to drive slowly steadily and hence the overnight halt at Chiplun.

Return I am doing the Nipani, Kholapur route on Saturday.

Thanks for the inputs
----

I am also leaving Bombay (Andheri - W) on the 28th. at 05.00 hrs. but will be using my usual route - via Poona, Kolhapur & the Chorla Ghat.
Where exactly in Andheri do you live? What car will you be driving?
The last I heard is that some sections of the NH17 - the route you intend to take are not good. I am not sure why you have decided on that route. It is hilly and twists and turns for almost 250Kms after Poladpur. I hope your fellow travellers do not get car sick.
From Chiplun to Goa you should not need a break but if you do then you have the small towns of Rajapur and Kankavali. Otherwise, halt at Sawantwadi.
If I was you and if you are capable of driving for 5 to 6 hours at a stretch then I would seriously consider cancelling your booking at RiverView and using NH4 instead. Overnight at Sai International just before Kolhapur (on the highway) or enter Kolhapur and overnight at one of the hotels there.
Please note that NH17 is a single lane highway most of the way (some parts have been made two lane now) and is a dangerous road (traffic wise) to travel on. I don't mean to put you off but facts are facts. Also, lots of speedbreakers before and after every little village which also slows you down.

Regards,
SS[/quote]
Old 25th October 2014, 13:20   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Thanks for the above, unfortunately google maps messed it up for me. It routed me through Khanapur. I didnt realise that this is a different route from what you mentioned until we were well past the cut to chorla after Belgaum. It was only after going through some really horrible roads did I realise that you had asked to take Chorla Ghat route. The roads from Belgaum to Goa border are Horrible to put it mildly. Once you enter Goa the surface transforms greatly though.

Will make sure that the return trip tomorrow will be through Chorla Ghat.
You are not the first person - and I'm sure not the last - to make this mistake. The Khanapur road is terrible.
When returning come to Mapuca and then head for Tivim, Assonora, Bicholim, Sanquelim, Chorla, Kankumbi, Jamboti, Peeranwadi and Belgaum.
(Be careful at Sanquelim. Immediately after the Sanquelim bridge you have to take a sharp right turn. The road turns and you then pass under the same bridge you just crossed and head for Chorla).
Enjoy your stay in Goa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri1951 View Post
Hi!

Thanks for the information. I live in Andheri East close to SEEPZ. I will be driving a Toyota Corrola Altis (petrol). My wife and I are going and both have no problems with the ghats twists and turns.

As to why I am doing this route... I have never gone by this route. I have all the time on hand to drive slowly steadily and hence the overnight halt at Chiplun.

Return I am doing the Nipani, Kholapur route on Saturday.

Thanks for the inputs
----
[/quote]

Hi Sri,

Fair enough. It is a picturesque road to drive on. I will be in a SX4 with a Goa registration - GA-03. Golden beige. "Got BHP" sticker on the rear bumper. Who knows? We might see each other on the road before Panvel.
It should take you a max of 5 to 6 hours to reach Chiplun - depending on road conditions. I have done this route from Goa to Bombay and vice versa many moons ago in 7 hours 45 minutes - in a Maruti Gypsy.
Have a safe trip.
Do update this site with the road conditions once you reach Goa.

Regards,
SS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks