Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2014, 13:47   #331
BHPian

re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

arnabchak,

There are 4 tolls between Pune and Kagal (border of MH and KA) and one more upto Sankeshwar in Karnataka from where you will turn toward Amboli. The toll amounts are Rs. 80, 55, 70, 70 and 35 in that order. If you plan to travel further towards Belgaum (for Chorla ghat route), you will have to pay two more tolls of Rs. 15 ad 80.

Last edited by Musaafir : 30th December 2014 at 13:48.
Musaafir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 14:30   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musaafir View Post
arnabchak,

There are 4 tolls between Pune and Kagal (border of MH and KA) and one more upto Sankeshwar in Karnataka from where you will turn toward Amboli. The toll amounts are Rs. 80, 55, 70, 70 and 35 in that order. If you plan to travel further towards Belgaum (for Chorla ghat route), you will have to pay two more tolls of Rs. 15 ad 80.
You don't have to pay 80 if you exit NH4 at Belgaum for Chorla. Its just Hattaragi Toll after Kognoli/Kagal that you need to pay.

Rs 80 toll comes beyond Belgaum.

In fact even Hattaragi Toll is after the Ajra/Amboli Turn off when driving towards Belgaum. So its just Expressway,Khedshivpur, Anewadi, Taswade and Kini tolls for Amboli option.

For Chorla, add Hattaragi as well.

Last edited by paragsachania : 30th December 2014 at 14:40.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 14:55   #333
BHPian

You are right Parag. Sorry for my confusion.
Old 26th January 2015, 09:01   #334
BHPian

I am planning a trip Mumbai- Goa in March 2105. I would like to stick to NH17 (66) since I have used it 3 times before. Only once I had returned back using NH4 (via Amboli, Nipani).

NH 17 is much more enjoyable, though challenging to drive. I will be driving my Ford Fiesta 1.6SXI. Even my family prefer this to the NH4.
Last driven on NH 17 in 2012.
I know most members prefer the NH4 being "safer" and faster average speeds. But I dislike a) too many trucks b) toll gates & c) the monotonous drive of NH4.
I will be leaving Kandivali (E), Mumbai between 3-3.30 am (I am a naturally early riser at about 4.00am 7days a week) and plan to reach Club Mahindra, Varca Beach at about 5-6pm. Minimal Stops. Eat in car, Breakfast & lunch.
Stops only for tea & natures call.
I did a short recce two Sundays back, upto Vadkal Naka . And the earlier bad roads in Panvel -Pen sectors have improved a lot.
Could anyone let me know latest road conditions on this road further upto Goa? Thanks a lot.
Old 29th January 2015, 09:21   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjayDalal View Post
I am planning a trip Mumbai- Goa in March 2105. I would like to stick to NH17 (66) since I have used it 3 times before. Only once I had returned back using NH4 (via Amboli, Nipani).

NH 17 is much more enjoyable, though challenging to drive. I will be driving my Ford Fiesta 1.6SXI. Even my family prefer this to the NH4.
I know most members prefer the NH4 being "safer" and faster average speeds. But I dislike a) too many trucks b) toll gates & c) the monotonous drive of NH4.
I will be leaving Kandivali (E), Mumbai between 3-3.30 am (I am a naturally early riser at about 4.00am 7days a week) and plan to reach Club Mahindra, Varca Beach at about 5-6pm. Minimal Stops. Eat in car, Breakfast & lunch.
I did a short recce two Sundays back, upto Vadkal Naka . And the earlier bad roads in Panvel -Pen sectors have improved a lot.
Could anyone let me know latest road conditions on this road further upto Goa? Thanks a lot.
From Nagothane onwards, the road is outstanding
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 12:16   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjayDalal View Post

Sanjay,
NH 17 is a great choice if you are a driving enthusiast and not bothered by lots of curves and fair amount of rumbler strips. I did the NH 17 on 5th Feb 2015 in my Swift dzire on my way to my native place, Malvan. It took me approximately 12 hours from Goregaon (w) to my place in Malvan [524 kms to be precise] with three stops. Road is in great shape after Kolad. Mumbai to Kolad is not that good,the diversions and the truck traffic make it a little annoying. But it is totally worth it to tread the NH 17 after that. Posting couple of pictures of the road ahead. Enjoy your drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-img_20150205_074326.jpg  

Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-img_20150205_074348.jpg  

Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-img_20150205_074357.jpg  

Roadrunner_sid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 19:09   #337
BHPian

Mumbai to Ganpatipule

Hi to all
Planning to drive to G'pule from Mumbai.
Should I take the regular NH17/NH66 from Panvel?
Or would it be better to take the expressway and then the Khopoli-Pali Road?
Or even the Bhor ghat, Varandh, Mahad route?

The aim is to have a comfortable drive without major jams and bumps.

TIA for any inputs
Regards
Karthik
Old 13th April 2015, 20:40   #338
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Ganpatipule

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik_rao View Post
Hi to all

TIA for any inputs
Regards
Karthik
nH17 is being widened, in a mess, till Nagothane. Going via Khopoli-Pali is a better option
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 13:00   #339
BHPian

Just returned from a 1500 odd kms drive.
Left from Dadar Mumbai at 7.45 am via Pune. First halt at Kolhapur for lunch at opal. Reached Opal by 2.15 pm. First overnight stop was Amboli ( whistling woods). Turned right at Goa Ves/Ways, Hotel Kaveri. On the way, figured out at the Tawandi Toll, that you can buy a 120 odd Rs toll which is valid for the next toll booth too, else it is 70 + 70.
Next day to Tarkarli ( MTDC) for 2 nights , then next to Goa via Sagari Mahamarg-Vengurla-Shiroda- Terekhol Bridge to enter Goa,since destination was North Goa Morjim.
The Sagari Maharmarg-Vengurla Road is bad near Parule due to Sindhudurg Airport coming up, but otherwise the road is so awesome, that we were planning to drive down via NH4 on our return journey ( and also wanted to buy boot full of Mangoes).
However the reveiews of 2 lanes without divider and 2 kids in car deterred me and used the Pernem-Sawantwadi-Amboli-Nipani route back.
Pune till Satara is full of diversions and irritating.
Started at 8 from Morjim, reached Kolhapur ( Hotel Opal) at 12.30 for lunch, left at 1.45, Tea Break at a Kamat restaurant before Katraj, to finally reach Dadar at 8 pm.
Managed to buy 7 dozen mangoes in sawantwadi :-) ( thankfully found 1 vendor a 9 am).
Old 1st May 2015, 13:24   #340

Quote:
Hi to all

TIA for any inputs
Regards
Karthik
Hi Karthik,

NH17 was a pleasure to drive(say 6 years ago). But the four lane work from Panvel - Indapur has made the road a nightmare to drive. The condition of the road from Indapur is still very good and enjoyable (still don't expect any quick overtaking maneuvers). As you mentioned comfort, it's a good idea to take expressway and pali exit after khopoli toll. It increases some distance but you will reach Vakan naka via Pali. By this you will avoid Panvel - Vakan stretch that's in very very miserable condition. After Vakan you have just 30 odd kilometers of bad stretch. If I were you I would take this route.
augustinepaul4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 19:30   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Hi to all

TIA for any inputs
Regards
Karthik
Take the khopoli pali road. The turn towards imagica, and the first 3 kms are not very good in condition. post the imagica entrance the roads are good and scenic if you drive in the day, there is a small stream at the end of the section which can be good for a picnic or nap.

My query for the group: Driving down to Goa next week from Thane. What route is recommended? We plan to leave at 2 Am and reach by 2-4 Pm as we have two naughty toddlers with us. Stops will be frequent and unscheduled so the path needs to be safe for the majority section, as well as have decent places to take a break for snacking/ clean washrooms.

Meh: Mods to note: For whatsoever reason the title of this post is "Mumbai to Ganpatipule"

Last edited by latentpotential : 20th May 2015 at 19:31.
Old 21st May 2015, 11:23   #342
BHPian

Thanks to all for inputs, especially to HVK, whose reply came in before my trip :-).

I took the Khopoli Pali road and it was exactly as described by latentpotential. When I started on the road, I was tempted to turn back, it was that bad. However, one does not ignore HVKs advice just like that. So I persisted and soon, the road improved. Reached Ganpatipule in around 7 hours, including 4 stops for kid's motion sickness. This was via Nivali Phata, which adds around 30 Km at least to the journey, but is a good road.

On the way back, I took the NH17 all the way as we wanted to grab a bite. It was miserable. Lots of slow moving traffic with almost no chance to overtake. Took almost 9 hours this time. Also took the direct road from Jakadevi to Sangameshwar, very nice road, very scenic. Deserted though. Considered taking the Jaigad Ferry and coming via Guhagar to Chiplun, but some locals told me it will not save me from the big ghat. Wanted to reduce motion sickness problems for my kid.
All in all, a fabulous place to go to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Take the khopoli pali road. The turn towards imagica, and the first 3 kms are not very good in condition. post the imagica entrance the roads are good and scenic if you drive in the day, there is a small stream at the end of the section which can be good for a picnic or nap.

My query for the group: Driving down to Goa next week from Thane. What route is recommended? We plan to leave at 2 Am and reach by 2-4 Pm as we have two naughty toddlers with us. Stops will be frequent and unscheduled so the path needs to be safe for the majority section, as well as have decent places to take a break for snacking/ clean washrooms.

Meh: Mods to note: For whatsoever reason the title of this post is "Mumbai to Ganpatipule"
Old 27th May 2015, 09:53   #343
BHPian

Hi,
2nd Week of June I will be driving down to Goa with a friend. Its the first time i will drive on this route. Can you'll help me know the best route? Driving a Ritz. I shall leave from Pune early morning.

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th May 2015, 11:22   #344
BHPian

Could some one point me to decent (hygenic food) places to eat between Pune & Goa? Specifically around Satara & Chorla Ghats area considering two toddlers.
Old 27th May 2015, 11:39   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Could some one point me to decent (hygenic food) places to eat between Pune & Goa? Specifically around Satara & Chorla Ghats area considering two toddlers.
My experience last December was not that good at roadside eateries.

The better ones are at the outskirts of Kolhapur. There is congregation of KFC, McD, Pizza Hut etc at one place next to each other.
So when you are traveling from Pune to Goa, it will be on your right, before kolhapur.

IMHO, this will be a better place for you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks