Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2016, 23:53   #421

Re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

Hi, I would be driving from Delhi to Goa next week (Colva or Benaulim, with wife and a 12-year-old, vehicle Tata Aria). I prefer driving nights, and am expected to stop in Baroda the first morning on the way out from Delhi. I was hoping experienced BHPians would help me find answers to the following questions. My plans hinge on these answers:
1. Could I make it to Goa from Baroda, if I started, say, around midnight, after a goodish 12-hour rest at Baroda?
2. Or, would you suggest I stayed in Navi Mumbai, and then drove onto Goa the third night? Is option 1 far too ambitious?
3. And, can I drive nights on the route to Goa from either Baroda or Navi Mumbai? I would go via the Belagavi (Belgaum) route.
4. I see on the map two routes between Belagavi and Madgaon - one via Chorla, and another via Mollem (Panjim-Belgaum Road). Which one is better, and will have less ghats?

In total, I have about 10-11 days for the round trip back to Delhi, with some chores to attend to in Navi Mumbai as well. Hence, imperative to touch Mumbai either on my way to Goa or on the return leg.

Thanks much in anticipation.
Old 3rd August 2016, 11:25   #422
BHPian

Quote:
MUMBAI: Over 20 people are reported missing after a British-era bridge collapsed on the Mumbai-Goa highway in Maharashtra late last night because of heavy rain. Two buses and several vehicles plunged into the river near Raigad district, 84 km from Mumbai.
http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/bridg...owserpush=true

We are planning a family vacation to Ganpatipule during the upcoming Independence Day long weekend and are planning to take the old highway.

Any inputs / ideas on route planning.
Old 3rd August 2016, 12:55   #423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/bridg...owserpush=true

We are planning a family vacation to Ganpatipule during the upcoming Independence Day long weekend and are planning to take the old highway.

Any inputs / ideas on route planning.
The report says that traffic for both ways has been diverted to the old bridge. So I think you need not worry about changing this route for this reason.
Old 3rd August 2016, 23:22   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
....So I think you need not worry about changing this route for this reason.
Thanks Hemanth - I have been closely following the dedicated thread about this incident as well.

Also, any ideas on the conditions on the roads on NH66 from Panvel to Hathkhamba Chowk - Ratnagiri?
Old 4th August 2016, 13:32   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokbh View Post
3. And, can I drive nights on the route to Goa from either Baroda or Navi Mumbai? I would go via the Belagavi (Belgaum) route.
4. I see on the map two routes between Belagavi and Madgaon - one via Chorla, and another via Mollem (Panjim-Belgaum Road). Which one is better, and will have less ghats?
Can't help you with your first two questions but for the remaining two:

3. Night driving should be fine as it is safe all the way till Goa.

4. Chorla is the best option as the road is bigger and in a better shape.
Old 9th August 2016, 10:32   #426
BHPian

Hi everyone, been some time since my last query.

Does anyone have any idea / updates on the road conditions between Panvel and Ratnagiri - Hathkhamba via the old highway?
Old 9th August 2016, 10:39   #427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Does anyone have any idea / updates on the road conditions between Panvel and Ratnagiri - Hathkhamba via the old highway?
Not sure on the complete Panvel - Ratnagiri stretch but I drove Chiplun - Ratnagiri and the road conditions were good on 22-23rd July.

During the same drive, a lot of folks had driven from Mumbai via Panvel and reported roads were in good conditions too sans traffic after Panvel which was quite usual I would say.

But the recent rains may have battered the good roads, not sure.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 11:45   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Not sure on the complete Panvel - Ratnagiri stretch but I drove Chiplun - Ratnagiri and the road conditions were good on 22-23rd July.
Thanks Parag, that is helpful. Please do let me know if you hear about the rest if the stretch - especially after the rains lastweek.
Old 29th August 2016, 10:40   #429
BHPian

Hi All,

So, after much consternation on which route to take for our Family Independence Day weekend to Ganpatipule, we finally decided to stick to the old highway. Took the following Gmaps suggested route:

Belapur - Pune Exp - Khopoli Exit - Khopoli/Pali Road - Nagothane - Indapur - Mahad - Khed - Chiplun - Asurde/dingani Road - Ganptipule.

Happy to report that the stretch is largely in very good conditions with bad patches only from Nagothane till Indapur, (due to road widening and understand that it is the same way from Panvel exit till Nagothane), then about 15 kms on either side of Chiplun as well. However, none of the stretches are so bad as to really bother the average Mumbaikar. But it does slow down the progress.

The rest of the route is absolutely fantastic, with some stretches having pristine black top, without any potholes and the Poladpur Ghats are in very good shape - with only a few random potholes here and there. Had a hoot punching my Linea on the way to Ganpatipule - but unfortunately got stuck behind Trucks / ST buses on the way back.

Had never been on the Khopoli Pali road and it was a very pleasant discovery as well. 90% of the road is in very good condition with only few stretches in really bad shape.

On the way back took the MSH4 from Ganpatipule to Dapoli and used the ferry from Jaigadh to Tavsal and then again from Dhopave to Dabhol. Joined the NH66 again at Khed and took the same way back to Mumbai.

All in all a lovely driving experience.

Last edited by PGNarain : 29th August 2016 at 10:42.
PGNarain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 14:31   #430
BHPian

An aunt just came back from Goa via the Amboli Route, she says whole 100 Kms road from Amboli is extremely bumpy due to the rains and there was no respite the whole way.

I am due to go to Goa in the first week of Ocotber and had almost decided to take the Amboli route after reading here that it is just as good as Chorla, now in 2 minds.

Is anyone planning on taking the Amboli route before that and can update?I would prefer the Amboli route as our Hotels are booked in North Goa.
Old 31st August 2016, 14:56   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirag08 View Post
An aunt just came back from Goa via the Amboli Route, she says whole 100 Kms road from Amboli is extremely bumpy due to the rains and there was no respite the whole way.

I am due to go to Goa in the first week of Ocotber and had almost decided to take the Amboli route after reading here that it is just as good as Chorla, now in 2 minds.

Is anyone planning on taking the Amboli route before that and can update?I would prefer the Amboli route as our Hotels are booked in North Goa.
I have been travelling to Goa regularly and have been taking the Chorla route. Having read that the Amboli route had improved considerably and that there was not much to choose between the two I took the plunge on the 13th. of August and travelled to Goa by the Amboli route, as I live in the north, which I must confess I was using this route after a few years. Boy was I disappointed. The surface is much better than the old days but you cannot compare the two as of today. I returned from Goa on the 23rd. to Bombay and took the Chorla route again and that route never disappoints. But I must inform you here that the Chorla route has taken a hit because of the incessant rains but on extremely acceptable levels.
Marcus Brutus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 15:10   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Brutus View Post
I have been travelling to Goa regularly and have been taking the Chorla route. Having read that the Amboli route had improved considerably and that there was not much to choose between the two I took the plunge on the 13th. of August and travelled to Goa by the Amboli route, as I live in the north, which I must confess I was using this route after a few years. Boy was I disappointed. The surface is much better than the old days but you cannot compare the two as of today. I returned from Goa on the 23rd. to Bombay and took the Chorla route again and that route never disappoints. But I must inform you here that the Chorla route has taken a hit because of the incessant rains but on extremely acceptable levels.
Thank you for the reply,assuming that repairs on the Amboli route would start only after October when the rains have completely gone, I think I'll take the Chorla route even though it would be longer for me.
Old 3rd September 2016, 22:29   #433
BHPian

We are 2 families planning Mumbai to Goa in November, just after Diwali. Which road should we take to go to Candolim. Google maps says to take right turn from Nipani, not to go up to Belgavi?
We plan to go to Ganpatiphule from Goa and then back to Mumbai. Should we take NH17 and then take turn before Nagothane and come to Mumbai via Khopoli?
What are the road conditions right now?
Old 4th September 2016, 10:17   #434
BHPian

Hey Jesrani / Chirag08,

I would suggest that you read the thread called "Mumbai Pune Kolhapur Goa Road" where I have just posted an update on the roads.

I would suggest you use the Chorla road but do note that it is not advisable after dark.
Also beware of fast moving traffic as the road is usually in very good condition.

Regards
SS
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 11:50   #435
BHPian

Hi all, just an update - I did a Vashi-Palolem weekend trip last week and wanted to update you on the route

First things first, the roads are fabulous from the Belgavi route

I highly recommend taking the Chorla ghat vs the panaji route - This is the famout Y curve where you need to choose after you go through Belgavi towards Goa

If in doubt, on your tracker, please check for the route that goes via Jamboti - this is the one with better roads. Depending on where you are staying, choose the turns for:

Panaji - If planning to stay in the north
Madgaon - If planning to stay in the centre/south

After madgaon, the roads to Palolem are just fabulous with greenery completely blocking the sun from the curvy butter smooth roads. Even if for just a drive, I highly recommend taking a drive to Palolem and back.

PS: If the roads get the better of you, try the spa at Snip Salon at Panaji. Guaranteed relaxation

Cheers and happy driving

Most Viewed