Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2016, 20:19   #451
BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Chirag,

The distance from my house in Andheri (Lokhandwala) to the pump is exactly 330 Kms (just more than half the distance to Goa), my car gives about 12 to 12.5 Kmpl and after topping off there I reach Goa with more than half a tank.
SS
Interesting point here.....
My father in law drives his Honda City between Mumbai-Panjim 2-3 times a year and has been doing that for more that 15 years now. He always drives with the clock on his mind. He has several reference points along the way and hates to fall behind his standard schedule. Gets 15-16 Kmpl on an avg with his driving style.

Now last year i drove his car with him in the passenger seat, same route, same departure time, same full tank from Mumbai. Only this time i drove sedately, maintained speeds of 80-90, never once crossing 90. To his surprise the FE for the trip was 19 Kmpl. All the way he kept on checking the fuel indicator expecting it was giving faulty reading

Yes we took an hour extra but i guess he now also keeps in mind the FE factor and not just the time factor. Lesson learnt.....
Chinmayd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 17:07   #452
BHPian

Folks, I need a last minute update on NH 17 old Goa road from Mumbai and the current conditions. We are leaving tonight mid night so any times will be hugely helpful.
Old 4th November 2016, 08:30   #453
Senior - BHPian

I travelled from Goa to Mumbai around the 15th October and the NH-17 after entering Maharshtra was pathetic to say the least. i was on a bike so I could manage somehow. but it still ate my soft compound Metzellers. had to get the tyre replaced.

I will not suggest NH-17 to anyone!

Pathetic is the word!
Old 6th November 2016, 11:36   #454
BHPian

Guys, need some help from experts here. I'm in Goa right now and let's just say because of some reasons I am not booked for return. This time took a flight out from Mumbai instead of my beloved Civic. Now, the flight fares are through the roof for tomorrow (07-nov) and my train tickets are on wait list which hasn't moved much yet. Does anyone know about any self driven car lease companies who can provide me a car in Goa and collect back in Mumbai? I have tried Myles, zoom car and ilks - but no luck. Have a kid in tow, so car quality has to be decent if not super. Need it tomorrow. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks in anticipation, cheers!
Old 6th December 2016, 19:42   #455
BHPian

Hello Friends,

we are travelling to Goa, on Thursday, 1st time in the Car, Need Tips
1.Best Route to reach Vaddem, Socorro, Goa, 403501
2.Things to be careful about
3.any checklist if any members have one handy
4.do'd & dont's

Thank you in advance for your help .

Cheers !!!
Old 7th December 2016, 10:45   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Guys, need some help from experts here. I'm in Goa right now and let's just say because of some reasons I am not booked for return. This time took a flight out from Mumbai instead of my beloved Civic. Now, the flight fares are through the roof for tomorrow (07-nov) and my train tickets are on wait list which hasn't moved much yet. Does anyone know about any self driven car lease companies who can provide me a car in Goa and collect back in Mumbai? I have tried Myles, zoom car and ilks - but no luck. Have a kid in tow, so car quality has to be decent if not super. Need it tomorrow. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks in anticipation, cheers!
I don't think there is any such facility available in Goa. One close friend was in a similar fix last year and he too couldn't find anything similar.

Your best bet would be to hire a chauffeur driven taxi with to and fro journey fare payment or you could look for some private bus (sleeper coach) from Mapusa/Panjim.
Old 7th December 2016, 11:36   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
Hello Friends,

we are travelling to Goa, on Thursday, 1st time in the Car, Need Tips

Cheers !!!
We recently travelled by road to Goa from Mumbai.
Took the Belgaum-Chorla Ghat road. Much much better than NH17(NH66).
I would advice to start early and travel in day time. Avoid travelling in dark, this is a personal preference. But I think the roads are safe.
Google maps is a must have and we had navigation on almost all the times. But don't depend on it blindly. Many times Google takes the shortest route but it may be through some rural single lane road. If Google asks you to turn onto a road which seems bad and narrow, wait and recheck the route. Check for alternatives or continue on the main road and it will re-route. However this was not a problem on the way to Goa but rather on the way back using NH66. But I think Google took us through Belgaum city which was not so good. I believe there may be a bypass.
Otherwise there was no hassel. Even though the roads are good, don't expect great speeds. We got an average speed of about 60kmph on the way to Goa, and that too as we started from Mumbai at 5.30am. And this average is only of actual running time, not considering stoppages. It took about 12 hours to cover 600kms with number of stops. The way back via NH66 was worst. Not much traffic but roads are pathetic mostly. Average running speeds are 40kmph. Would advice that route only if you are going to say Ganpatipule or elsewhere. But then have to carefully scrutinize Google Maps route.
Old 7th December 2016, 12:04   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
Thank you in advance for your help
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
I believe there may be a bypass..
There is no bypass for Chorla ghat.

To navigate Belgaum city on the way to Chorla, refer this excellent post by SAHIR.KITTUR:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3416835

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 7th December 2016 at 12:09.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2016, 12:13   #459
BHPian

Hey guys, Will be traveling to Mumbai next week from Goa and my end destination is Bandra,Mumbai. Ill be coming via Belgaum-Kolhpur-Pune route as I am with family and want to avoid the ghats and narrow roads as much as possible. Would love to know i any of you have recently traveled along the same route and hows the condition of the highway?

Also my destination in Mumbai is Bandra(around Lilavati hospital),would love to know from any Bhpian local to that place about the parking situation around that hospital area. Would really appreciate it if someone could PM me a good hotel to stay with dedicated/safe parking around that area in Bandra. Thanks a ton.
Old 11th December 2016, 19:50   #460
BHPian

Hi. I am planning a trip to Goa from Pune. And Google Maps is showing me a route via Belgaum - Khanapur - Anmod - Mollem - Ponda - Margao.

I have traveled through the Chorla ghat. Just wanted to know how is the road condition on the route suggested by Google? Should I take this route or stick to the known route via Chorla?
Old 11th December 2016, 20:00   #461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Hi. I am planning a trip to Goa from Pune. And Google Maps is showing me a route via Belgaum - Khanapur - Anmod - Mollem - Ponda - Margao.

I have traveled through the Chorla ghat. Just wanted to know how is the road condition on the route suggested by Google? Should I take this route or stick to the known route via Chorla?
Both the routes are good (with Chorla in best condition). Time wise, I don't think it will make much difference.

Since you have already taken Chorla before, you may stick to that.

The advantages of taking the Khanapur - Anmod - Mollem route is that the Ghats are little faster compared to Chorla because the roads are wider and less number of sharp twists and turns. So that makes Ghat driving easier when you compare that to Chorla.

As said before, if you are comfortable with Chorla, stick to that.

With both routes, you will have to cross Belgaum and at a fork after Belgaum left leads to Khanapur and right leads to Chorla.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2016, 12:32   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The advantages of taking the Khanapur - Anmod - Mollem route is that the Ghats are little faster compared to Chorla because the roads are wider and less number of sharp twists and turns. So that makes Ghat driving easier when you compare that to Chorla.
Thanks. I will probably then stick to Chorla route. I had quite liked the Chorla route last time. It was super scenic. Maybe on the way back, I will take the Mollem route since the ghat section is an easier drive.

By the way, the Google Maps route asks me to take a road from Khanapur through Shiroli and Hemmadaga, and not through Ramnagar. Any updates on the road condition between Khanapur and Mollem which goes via Shiroli and Hemmadaga. This does not seem to be a state highway.

Last edited by ptushar : 12th December 2016 at 12:54. Reason: Question
Old 12th December 2016, 16:48   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I will probably then stick to Chorla route. I had quite liked the Chorla route last time. It was super scenic. Maybe on the way back, I will take the Mollem route since the ghat section is an easier drive.

By the way, the Google Maps route asks me to take a road from Khanapur through Shiroli and Hemmadaga, and not through Ramnagar. Any updates on the road condition between Khanapur and Mollem which goes via Shiroli and Hemmadaga. This does not seem to be a state highway.
That road goes through Kali tiger reserve and is a single lane. Road conditions are good and there is a ban on travel on this road between 6pm to 6a.m.

Google suggested you the NH4A route to Madgaon because it's THE recommended route from Belgaum to Madgaon and anywhere in South Goa, these days. It is shorter in distance as well. Chorla route is slightly longer for heading South Goa. It is good for North Goa/Panjim/Old Goa for those coming from Pune/Mumbai/Hyderabad side. Taking Chorla route for Madgaon would mean crossing the high traffic prone Panjim--Madgaon NH17 stretch. So, you are better off taking the straight forward Belgaum--NH4A--Ponda bypass--Madgaon. The diagonal connection between Ponda and Madgaon has good roads. I have taken this route around 8 times and it has much less traffic compared to Panjim--Madgaon NH17 and is shorter by distance in kms while heading to Belgaum.

I have explained this before, let me summarise again :-

1. Mumbai/Pune/Hyderabad/Belgaum to North Goa beaches /Panjim/Old Goa :- Chorla route ( remember that whenever Amboli route has good roads, it is anyday a first priority for North Goa for Mumbai/Pune folks ).

2. Mumbai/Pune/Hyderabad/Belgaum to Ponda/Madgaon/South Goa beaches :- NH4A route. As regards taking the forest route ( Khanapur - Hemmadga - Anmod ) , it further cuts down the distance by 20 kms compared to NH4A, so you can take that if you wish.

Last edited by vivek95 : 12th December 2016 at 17:09. Reason: Additional content and correction
Old 12th December 2016, 16:50   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Please refer to post # 2012 of the Mumbai-Pune-Kholapur-Goa thread, which appears to suggest that the Khanapur- Anmod route to south Goa may not necessarily be such a good idea.

According to the post, locals traveling between Belgavi and S Goa seem to prefer the Chorla ghat route.
Zezé is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2016, 17:30   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
That road goes through Kali tiger reserve and is a single lane. Road conditions are good and there is a ban on travel on this road between 6pm to 6a.m.
Thanks. That was one of the reasons why I wanted to take this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
Please refer to post # 2012 of the Mumbai-Pune-Kholapur-Goa thread, which appears to suggest that the Khanapur- Anmod route to south Goa may not necessarily be such a good idea
Thanks for this Zezé. The reason I was looking forward to this route was because it passes through a jungle reserve. Was hoping that the route will be scenic. Also that route seems to be the best route to get to south Goa. It seems to avoid most of the usual traffic spots and most importantly the NH17. I have asked Airforce1 for his experience. Hopefully that should help me decide which route to take.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks