Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2009, 22:48   #46
BHPian

Just finished a weeks trip to goa. I stay at chembur in mumbai and was in a similar dilemna on which route to take. Did some research and decided to take NH 17 for mumbai - goa strech and NH 4 for the other way round.
Here are my impressions. NH 17 (Panvel - Chiplun - Sawantwadi - Goa) is a driving enthusiasts delight. Just loved driving on those scenic winding ghat roads. Started at 5 AM and found some truck traffic from panvel onwards. However, it soon thinned down and from then onwards, there was sparse traffic all the way up to goa. The road being an NH is twoo laned all the way, but without any dividers. The quality of roads is good. People who are scared of motion sickness on winding roads are advised not to take this road as it is full of curves right through out. However, will again add that for someone looking to enjoy driving and not in too much hurry, this road is a must try. Reached Pajani city by around 5.30 PM. Average driving speeds were around 80-90 kmph.
NH4 (Panaji-Mapusa-Sawantwadi-Amboli-Nipani-Kolhapur-Pune-Mumbai) took far less time. Started again at 5AM. Reached Mumbai at around 3 PM. The strech from savantwadi to nipani was rather bad, (around 100 km) with some very poor roads and lots of curves considerably slowing down progress. However, once i reached NH4 at Nipani, things changed dramatically. Roads were just wonderful here on with 4 lanes / divider throughout. Managed speeds of 100-110 kmph with ease and covered ground quickly. And ofcourse the express way from pune helped matters. Hence the difference of around 2-3 hours travel time.
so , my advice - do what i did the first time. Try both roads for once, and then decide for yourself. For me- it will be NH17 most times.
Cheers.
Old 8th December 2009, 10:41   #47

In October 2009 I decided to fly to Goa and back and hence did not drive my car. On 16th December I am planning a road trip with family (wife + 2 kids) in my Sienna 1.6EL and needed some advice as I avoid night driving. Have taken the help of Google road maps for my trip. Apart from the state of the roads, I require suggestions on availability of food (decent restaurants for lunch on these routes).

1. Mumbai-Tarkali: which is faster - NH4 - NH 204 - SH115 - NH17 - SH117 -NH17 -SH118 - MSH4 OR NH-17 - SH118 - MSH4.

2. Tarkali - Dandeli: which is a better route - via Sawantwadi - Amboli - Belgaum - Nandgad (246kms abt 4hrs 22mins) OR via Bicholin - Kankumbi - Nandgat (246 kms abt 4hrs 39mins) OR via Karwar - Anshi National Park -Joida (328kms 5 hrs 34mins). The resort guys cautioned me that the route through Goa-Ponda-Ramnagar has a bad 20km stretch that takes around 1-2hrs.

3. Dandeli - Udupi - how is the route via Anandapuram - SH93 & SH 69. Is there any other route?

4. Udupi-Mumbai - NH4 or NH17 which is faster. In particular how is the route from Udupi to NH4?
Old 8th December 2009, 11:40   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer View Post

1. Mumbai-Tarkali: which is faster - NH4 - NH 204 - SH115 - NH17 - SH117 -NH17 -SH118 - MSH4 OR NH-17 - SH118 - MSH4.

2. Tarkali - Dandeli: which is a better route - via Sawantwadi - Amboli - Belgaum - Nandgad (246kms abt 4hrs 22mins) OR via Bicholin - Kankumbi - Nandgat (246 kms abt 4hrs 39mins) OR via Karwar - Anshi National Park -Joida (328kms 5 hrs 34mins). The resort guys cautioned me that the route through Goa-Ponda-Ramnagar has a bad 20km stretch that takes around 1-2hrs.

3. Dandeli - Udupi - how is the route via Anandapuram - SH93 & SH 69. Is there any other route?

4. Udupi-Mumbai - NH4 or NH17 which is faster. In particular how is the route from Udupi to NH4?
I had traveled via Anandapuram - Udupi during October 2/3rd week.
it is in very bad state throughout. Your FIAT Sienna may give you a slightly better drive than my ANHC. , But i would not recommend you that route.

From Dandeli, I suggest you go via Haliyal - Yellapur to Ankola (NH 17) and drive on NH17. Around Ankola, Bhatkal, Kundapur and some stretches near Udupi are in bad condition, rest of the route is okay.

i suggest you go via NH 17 - NH 63 to Hubli and join NH4 to Mumbai.
Old 8th December 2009, 11:54   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer View Post

I travelled on the Trivandrum-Bombay route 10 days ago, and returned via Udupi, Hubli. NH17 has potholes in some places, but nothing to worry you. But be cautious, teh bad patch comes in a cluster all of a sudden amidst good roads. NH63 from Ankola to Hubli is in a good condition, but truck traffic is very high.

Crossing Udupi at 915 am, I did the 330 kms to Hubli in 5.30 hrs.

SOUTH INDIA, Nov 2009 - hvkumar | Google Groups
You can refer the log book above
Old 8th December 2009, 20:59   #50
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Have just arrived in Goa (from Bombay).
Left at 0545 and passed Mapusa at 1530.
Took me two hours more than last time.
Route was Bombay - Pune on the expressway then on to Kolhapur and Sankeshwar.
Just before Sankeshwar turned off to Gadhinglaj, Ajra and Amboli ghat.
Then on to Sawantwadi and finally Goa.
The delay was mainly due to fairly dense fog on the expressway (and further) which lasted till about 0900 hrs. Speed was down to 40kmph in certain areas. Lots of delays at toll nakas.
Actually stopped at the "Services" for about half an hour because it was so bad.
Road from Sankeshwar to Amboli was not good at all.
Lots of pot holes and rough patches plus uneven patches interspersed with some smooth (relatively) sections. Needless to say the rough patches were felt even more in a Swift and I was crawling over them!!!!
Road from Amboli down the ghats was pretty good with a few rough patches on the turns. Nothing to worry about though.
Has anyone used the road via Belgaum and Molem on to Goa and if so, is it in a better condition?

Regards,

SS
Old 10th December 2009, 16:43   #51

Thanks guys. Has anyone travelled recently on the Dandeli-Haliyal-Yellapur-Ankola stretch, as I wanted to know how it is and how long it should take.
It looks like I will take NH4 to Tarkali and the Amboli route to Dandeli.
Old 10th December 2009, 17:04   #52
Senior - BHPian

Yellapura-Ankola is currently in excellent condition. But iron ore truck traffic is very high.
Old 10th December 2009, 23:29   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Has anyone used the road via Belgaum and Molem on to Goa and if so, is it in a better condition?
Belgaum-Khanapur-Londa-Molem-Ponda-Panjim stretch is UN-MOTORABLE.The stretch from Londa to Molem is devoid of roads,there just is no road there only craeters as deep as wells.This was the condn in November.
Old 29th December 2009, 14:48   #54
Axe

I am planning to drive to Goa from Mumbai over the coming weekend. Does anyone have an update on the condition of NH 17 (Mumbai-Chiplun-Panaji)? Thanks.
Old 24th April 2010, 15:07   #55
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Has anyone used the NH17 from mumbai to Goa recently? Like to know what the condition is at the moment
Old 24th April 2010, 17:34   #56
BHPian

Anyone has the latest conditions of the Amboli route into Goa? I am planning to ride down to Goa tomorrow.
Old 24th April 2010, 18:09   #57
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe View Post
I am planning to drive to Goa from Mumbai over the coming weekend. Does anyone have an update on the condition of NH 17 (Mumbai-Chiplun-Panaji)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Has anyone used the NH17 from mumbai to Goa recently? Like to know what the condition is at the moment
I thoroughly enjoyed driving from Goa to Mahabaleshwar to Mumbai via NH 17 during the first week of March 2010. The condition of NH 17 was good. Since it is a two-laned NH, we have to drive carefully.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 24th April 2010 at 18:11.

Old 25th April 2010, 02:46   #58
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Mahad to Ratnagiri was in great condition. I drove on the long weekend of good friday.
Old 27th April 2010, 22:53   #59
Senior - BHPian

Motorcycle Diary Covering Goa

ranjitp1 if someone asks the question which route from mumbai to Goa one should read this Royal Enfield | Trip | A Page from my motorcycle diary covering Goa

regards
Old 28th April 2010, 12:08   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
ranjitp1 if someone asks the question which route from mumbai to Goa one should read this Royal Enfield | Trip | A Page from my motorcycle diary covering Goa

regards
Thanx DF,hillarioushow he went searching for NH17 and ended up discovering NH4...Talk about trip planning

Most Viewed