Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2011, 03:06   #106
bhp
BHPian

re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

Driving to goa today late evening...which route would you guys suggest for night driving ?? NH4 or NH17
Old 22nd April 2011, 09:30   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
Driving to goa today late evening...which route would you guys suggest for night driving ?? NH4 or NH17
Avoid night driving on the 2-laned NH17, it has maniacal bus drivers driving rashly.

Take NH4 if going at night.
Old 22nd April 2011, 09:58   #108
bhp
BHPian

Thanks for the feedback. How many kms is goa via NH4 ?? And what is the best route to reach mapusa

Last edited by bhp : 22nd April 2011 at 10:05.
Old 22nd April 2011, 10:29   #109
Senior - BHPian

Check out teh following route guide to know details of all routes to Goa from Bombay.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Jas-Del Bom Goa.xls (66.0 KB, 1532 views)
Old 23rd April 2011, 10:04   #110
Senior - BHPian

Came back last week from Calangute Goa.
It was the first time I took the 320d on a long drive.
Whilte going I took the regular Panvel - Goa highway. Left at 4.30 from New Bombay. Reached Goa at 12 midnight. The roads were quite good. But it does get bad for about 20 odd kms before the Goa border.
There wasn't much traffic on this road may be since I left in the evening. But towards the end I did find the on coming private bus flow, still wasn't all the bad. The other benefit is, some ghats have mostly blind turns during night driving one can know if there is a vehicle approaching from the opposite side thanks to their high beam on. This does alert you to some extent.
To be safe one can slow when these buses are approaching.

While coming back I took the Nandgoan - Talere Naka - Gaganbawda - kolhapur - satara - pune road.
Gaganbawda ghat was steep but the roads were excellent. Once you start entering Kolhapur the roads get bumpy all the way till you touch the NH4.
Time taken to reach bombay was 10 hours. May be coz I got stuck at one of the tolls as it started pouring plus the traffic got a bit thicker once crossed Satara.

Overall I would say I would suggest the regular mumbai - goa highway ( NH17 ) if one is travelling to North goa. The Gaganbawda road was a longer route by 85 odd kms.
Old 5th July 2011, 19:49   #111
BHPian

I need some assistance in my upcoming Goa-Bombay drive on Sunday. The last time we drove (Alto 800 LXI) to Bombay in October 2010, we had stopped at Thane. A cousin had met us at a point in Panvel and we followed him to his house in Thane.

This time, though, I have to drive (I10 1.2 VTVT Magna) straight to Bandra. I intend to take the Panjim-Ponda-Anmod-Londa-Belgaum-Kolhapur-Pune-Bombay route. Wife is a bit concerned about the frequent landslides at Amboli and hence, we will avoid the Goa-Sawantwai-Amboli-Kohlapur-Bombay route.

What I need is assistance to get to Bandra (hill road), once I reach Panvel via the NH4 highway. Could anyone help me out on a road-by-road guide to Bandra, once I reach Panvel?

Much obliged for any help in this matter.

Melvyn
Old 5th July 2011, 20:12   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
What I need is assistance to get to Bandra (hill road), once I reach Panvel via the NH4 highway. Could anyone help me out on a road-by-road guide to Bandra, once I reach Panvel?

Melvyn
Exit EXpressway from Pune heading towards Bombay.
One straight road towards Bombay.
Cross Kharghar, Belapur - this one recognisable by teh buildings of CIDCO, Park Hotel, etc t the left
Climb up the hill after Belapur.
Pass the DY Patil cricket stadium to your left - identified by the light masts
Reach Turbhe intersection, where the flyover forking to the left leads to Bombay
Reach the Vashi (New Bombay) toll gate - toll Rs 30
Cross the sea bridge - 1.5 kms
Enter Bombay city - octroi check posts
Keep going straight taking all flyovers - cross Mankhurd, reach Chembur.
At the place where you see a Sivaji Statue - at a round - remember to take the straight-curving slightly right road towards Bombay/Gateway.
Run into messy traffic hereon.
Cross the Sumanth Nagar intersection where you will see a messy flyover construction site.
Now it is another long straight - you will see transmission towers to left and right side of the road across open grounds - watch out, you are nearing Sion.
At the end of the straight section (after the transmission towers), ignore the flyover and go underneath and take the right at the second signal (at the first signal, no right turn is allowed anyway).
Turn right at the signal under the flyover - this is Sion junction
Go through congested Dharavi straight down.
At the end of the narrow market-type road you will see large ONGC building to the right (called 11 Up). Keep going straight.
At the signal some 500 metres after the ONGC BUilding, turn right - most of the traffic will be turning right anyway.
Go straight till the second signal (first signal turns to BKC or Bandra Kurla Complex).
At the second signal - just before a flyover across the road - straight marked towards Airport - take the left turn.
Go up the rail overbridge and you will see the flyover going to the Sea LInk Bridge. Take the flyover and immediately on top, watch out for teh left turn off marked for SV Road.
Take the left and curve back into SV Road.
After crossing the Masjid (to your right), you will reach the Lucky Restaurant junction (signal), where you turn left onto Bandra Hill Road.

Here is the Google Map of the route:
Sion - Panvel Express Hwy to Hill Road - Google Maps
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 20:21   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I need some assistance in my upcoming Goa-Bombay drive on Sunday. The last time we drove (Alto 800 LXI) to Bombay in October 2010, we had stopped at Thane. A cousin had met us at a point in Panvel and we followed him to his house in Thane.

This time, though, I have to drive (I10 1.2 VTVT Magna) straight to Bandra. I intend to take the Panjim-Ponda-Anmod-Londa-Belgaum-Kolhapur-Pune-Bombay route. Wife is a bit concerned about the frequent landslides at Amboli and hence, we will avoid the Goa-Sawantwai-Amboli-Kohlapur-Bombay route.

Much obliged for any help in this matter.

Melvyn
You could take the Panjim-Sawantwadi-Kankavli-Phonda-Radhanagari-Kolhapur-NH4 route,route is good and scenic as well.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 5th July 2011 at 20:22.
Old 5th July 2011, 20:39   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Exit EXpressway from Pune heading towards Bombay.
One straight road towards Bombay.
Cross Kharghar, Belapur - this one recognisable by teh buildings of CIDCO, Park Hotel, etc t the left
Climb up the hill after Belapur.
Pass the DY Patil cricket stadium to your left - identified by the light masts
Reach Turbhe intersection, where the flyover forking to the left leads to Bombay
Reach the Vashi (New Bombay) toll gate - toll Rs 30
Cross the sea bridge - 1.5 kms
Enter Bombay city - octroi check posts
Keep going straight taking all flyovers - cross Mankhurd, reach Chembur.
At the place where you see a Sivaji Statue - at a round - remember to take the straight-curving slightly right road towards Bombay/Gateway.
Run into messy traffic hereon.
Cross the Sumanth Nagar intersection where you will see a messy flyover construction site.
Now it is another long straight - you will see transmission towers to left and right side of the road across open grounds - watch out, you are nearing Sion.
At the end of the straight section (after the transmission towers), ignore the flyover and go underneath and take the right at the second signal (at the first signal, no right turn is allowed anyway).
Turn right at the signal under the flyover - this is Sion junction
Go through congested Dharavi straight down.
At the end of the narrow market-type road you will see large ONGC building to the right (called 11 Up). Keep going straight.
At the signal some 500 metres after the ONGC BUilding, turn right - most of the traffic will be turning right anyway.
Go straight till the second signal (first signal turns to BKC or Bandra Kurla Complex).
At the second signal - just before a flyover across the road - straight marked towards Airport - take the left turn.
Go up the rail overbridge and you will see the flyover going to the Sea LInk Bridge. Take the flyover and immediately on top, watch out for teh left turn off marked for SV Road.
Take the left and curve back into SV Road.
After crossing the Masjid (to your right), you will reach the Lucky Restaurant junction (signal), where you turn left onto Bandra Hill Road.

Here is the Google Map of the route:
Sion - Panvel Express Hwy to Hill Road - Google Maps
Many thanks for the detailed guide. I will check it out carefully and will refer it along with the Google maps. I may PM you for some clarifications in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You could take the Panjim-Sawantwadi-Kankavli-Phonda-Radhanagari-Kolhapur-NH4 route,route is good and scenic as well.
We prefer the NH4 Panjim-Anmod-Belgaum-Kolhapur-Pune route. Easy to drive and it is an enjoyable route.
Old 6th August 2011, 10:04   #115
BHPian

Hi friends

I am planning to drive down from Mumbai with family (Chembur) to South Goa (Margao) via the NH-4 route (Expressway-Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum) and then onto NH-4A via Anmod and Mollem for the first time in the second or third week of August. Would like to know the following:

1. How are the road conditions on both NH-4 and 4A at present? Are they driveable? (Those who have driven recently on these routes, please give your input!)

2. How long should it take me from Mumbai to Margao if I start driving at 3.30AM with a few breaks in between for lunch/tea/loo? Also do suggest some good places to break for lunch/tea/loo on these routes!

3. Is the Nippani-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi route a good alternative? Or should it be avoided since it is prone to landslides?

Awaiting your reply at the earliest friends.

Thank you!
Old 8th August 2011, 07:06   #116
BHPian

Almost 48 hours and not a single reply?
Please help me out friends. I've got just a few days to go. Thank you.
Old 8th August 2011, 08:51   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluez View Post
Hi friends

I am planning to drive down from Mumbai with family (Chembur) to South Goa (Margao) via the NH-4 route (Expressway-Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum) and then onto NH-4A via Anmod and Mollem for the first time in the second or third week of August. Would like to know the following:

1. How are the road conditions on both NH-4 and 4A at present? Are they driveable? (Those who have driven recently on these routes, please give your input!)

2. How long should it take me from Mumbai to Margao if I start driving at 3.30AM with a few breaks in between for lunch/tea/loo? Also do suggest some good places to break for lunch/tea/loo on these routes!

3. Is the Nippani-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi route a good alternative? Or should it be avoided since it is prone to landslides?

Awaiting your reply at the earliest friends.

Thank you!
I have driven frequently from Pune to Goa and the best route I have found so far is Pune-Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Goa. I drove this route last in May, 2011 and the roads were fabulous throughout. NH4 right from Mumbai-Pune Expressway to Belgaum should be in excellent condition throughout. If you finalise on this route, I can give you detailed directions regarding the turn-off at Belgaum for getting to Amboli in a separate post.

Of course, now with the monsoons, some part of the Amboli ghat may have a few rough patches and also timing restrictions, and Goa route experts on this forum may be able to give a better opinion on this. If you are headed to Madgaon in South Goa, this route is slightly longer than Belgaum-Anmond-Mollem-Goa but believe me its much better and comfortable to drive on.

The Belgaum-Anmod-Mollem-Goa NH4A his known to break up during the monsoons. In addition you may have to face the menace of the mining trucks, though with the recent SC order banning mining in Bellary, this may not be an issue at present.

Have a safe trip and keep all of us updated on the road conditions.
suniladhiya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 11:10   #118
BHPian

I will land in Goa tomorrow morning, Will be driving from Airport to Belgaum through Ponda - Tisk - Mollem - Anmod - Ramnagar - Khanapur - Belgaum. Will update by tomorrow afternoon the status of the route.
Cheers.
SAHIR.KITTUR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 14:17   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suniladhiya View Post
I have driven frequently from Pune to Goa and the best route I have found so far is Pune-Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Goa. I drove this route last in May, 2011 and the roads were fabulous throughout. NH4 right from Mumbai-Pune Expressway to Belgaum should be in excellent condition throughout. If you finalise on this route, I can give you detailed directions regarding the turn-off at Belgaum for getting to Amboli in a separate post.
Thank you so much suniladhiya for your reply. One more user (SAHIR.KITTUR) on another thread will update the status of NH4A route by tomorrow. Still if you can divulge details of the Belgaum-Sawantwadi route, it would be helpful - not just for me but for a lot of us. Ultimately what one needs is a safe ride, however long it takes to reach the final destination - which brings me to yet another question. How much more longer does it take by the Belgaum-Sawantwadi route to reach Margao as compared to the NH-4A route?

Anyways, lets hope for the best! And will definitely update you guys once I'm on my way! Thanks once again!
Old 8th August 2011, 14:19   #120
BHPian

My mistake. SAHIR.KITTUR was right here. LOL. Brain freeze!
Thanks SAHIR.KITTUR. Do update us soon! I gather that you're travelling down via Dabolim (International flight). And that must be one hell of a drive. I hope that Belgaum starts international flights soon! Anyways, thank you!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks