Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2015, 12:05   #346
BHPian

re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
My experience last December was not that good at roadside eateries.

The better ones are at the outskirts of Kolhapur. There is congregation of KFC, McD, Pizza Hut etc at one place next to each other.
So when you are traveling from Pune to Goa, it will be on your right, before kolhapur.

IMHO, this will be a better place for you
Ok, thanks, but that would be too far and I doubt the kids will sit quiet for so long.

Further, what route do you recommend? Via Belgaum/ Sawantwadi?
Old 27th May 2015, 13:49   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Ok, thanks, but that would be too far and I doubt the kids will sit quiet for so long.

Further, what route do you recommend? Via Belgaum/ Sawantwadi?
If you are looking for comfortable and smooth drive go for Belgaum-Chorla route. It takes about 1 hour of extra travel time in case you are headed to North Goa. In case you are South Goa bound, Chorla route is no brainer.

Sawantwadi route is shorter and the road conditions are not good in certain patches.
Old 2nd June 2015, 13:10   #348
BHPian

So completed the trip.

Details as below:

Left Mumbai at 3:30 AM, crossed Pune by 6 AM, took a break at Satara 7.30-8.30 AM, crossed Nipani at 11.30 AM, via Amboli stopped at Sawantwadi for food at 2 PM, reached Baga by 4:30 PM.

Road conditions are good, got zero bumps or jerks anywhere, could be the Superbs suspension at play. Speeds were respectable in the journey.

Return was not so great however. We left Baga at 11:30 AM, Sawantwadi at 1 PM for Lunch, and crossed Nipani at 3:30 PM. Pune was touched at 11 PM. And we reached Mumbai at 1:30 AM. The diversions between Pune and Kolhapur for bridge construction hampered our progress a LOT. On an average we spent 20-25 mins per junction in traffic (6 Junctions of this nature). Had to play catch up on the clean sections. Also, was informed later that this gone Sunday was the last one of the summer vacation season, probably this added to our traffic woes.

On the onward journey, we did not face the traffic since we covered the same diversions early in the morning.

Fastest Section: Obviously the Mumbai-Pune expressway. Maintained 3 digits throughout.

Slowest Section: Kolhapur to Wai. Diversions.

Note that we had two toddlers, so we stopped on demand for any random thing, including looking at the sunrise & sunset.

Best section for driving: Nipani Naka to Sawantwadi. Those narrow winding roads, hint of rain (yes, we caught a few showers on this stretch) and them Ghats. Thrilling indeed! used Sports mode throughout and kept traction control off. Will be happy to do this stretch anytime in this car now.

Fuel economy in the 1.8 TSI as per Tank to Tank method: ~12 Kmpl on petrol for the full journey. Distance covered in the Superb: 1190 Kms.

Will get my notes out from the car in a day or two and add more details in terms of tolls and food stops we would want to recommend.
Old 7th June 2015, 22:38   #349
BHPian

If I leave pune at 5 am, is it possible to reach Anjuna for lunch ?
Old 7th June 2015, 23:26   #350
BHPian

I guess you would reach for high tea. Now with rains setting in on some sections, speeds would also be relative lesser.
@Chaand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 16:00   #351

Hello everyone,

I will be travelling to Goa from Ahmedabad starting on the 22nd of June (2015).

With the heavy rains in Mumbai, will I be facing any problems along the route?

I would like to know the current road conditions (especially near Mumbai).

The plan is to drive from Ahmedabad to Pune on Day 1 - night halt at Pune - Start next morning from Pune for Caranzalem (Goa).

I'll be driving in a Scorpio with my father and sister.

- Sathya
Old 20th June 2015, 15:55   #352
BHPian

I assume you'll take the Ghodbander route and enter Navi Mumbai, then Pune. I dont think water logging would be an issue. Traffic can slow you down so try and enter early morning. Roads from mumbai-pune-goa are stunning. Amboli ghat has a small section of bad roads but its really a very small section. Rest of it is amazing.

Have a safe journey :-)
Dieselritzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 23:53   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathbhai View Post
Hello everyone,

I will be travelling to Goa ..............
with my father and sister.

- Sathya
If you go through Amboli ghat, post the road condition here. Will be doing this route on 26th. There's talk about a landslide in amboli ghat 2 days ago, trying to get more info on that and the road conditions now after heavy rains.
Old 7th July 2015, 17:16   #354
BANNED

Hi all, I am planning a trip (Santro)from Mumbai to Ganapatipule on 10th July Friday night. Just wanted to know:
1. Would it be too much rain in this month during travel?
2. If I start by 3 AM at Friday night and I am not a speed crazy, how much time can I expect to reach there?
3. Which route should I prefer and what is the road condition right now if anyone has recently travelled
Old 13th July 2015, 00:15   #355
BHPian

Hi guys need some advice traveling to goa from thane on the 16th of July. What route is advisable considering road conditions?
Belgaum-chorla or Nipani-amboli-sawantwadi?
There have been hardly any rains recently so leaning towards the amboli route. Any advice would be helpful guys. Thanks.
Old 13th July 2015, 12:21   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankazoid!!! View Post
Hi guys need some advice traveling to goa from thane on the 16th of July. What route is advisable considering road conditions?
Belgaum-chorla or Nipani-amboli-sawantwadi?
There have been hardly any rains recently so leaning towards the amboli route. Any advice would be helpful guys. Thanks.
Depends on where you are staying in Goa.

Belgaum-Chorla takes about an hour and a half extra in case you are staying in North Goa. Nipani-sawantwadi route is the one you should take if that's the case, otherwise belgaum-chorla route.

Drive safe and enjoy Goa.
Old 13th July 2015, 16:48   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Depends on where you are staying in Goa.
a
Belgaum-Chorla takes about an hour and a half extra in case you are staying in North Goa. Nipani-sawantwadi route is the one you should take if that's the case, otherwise belgaum-chorla route.

Drive safe and enjoy Goa.
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply lokesh. I will be travelling to fort aguada. However main concern is road conditions during monsoons. Has anyone traveled recently by these routes? Nipani - Amboli I hear is risky during monsoons due to land slides. your inputs are much appreciated.
Old 13th July 2015, 18:43   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply lokesh. I will be travelling to fort aguada. However main concern is road conditions during monsoons. Has anyone traveled recently by these routes? Nipani - Amboli I hear is risky during monsoons due to land slides. your inputs are much appreciated.
In this thread only, somewhere someone had mentioned that roads are now in much better condition. When I was coming back last January from Swanatwadi route, they were carrying out recarpeting of the road.

Chorla route carries the same risks in case of rains, IMO.
1lokesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 22:10   #359
BHPian

Quote:
However main concern is road conditions during monsoons.
Did both the routes on 26th and 28th June, Pune-Goa-Pune. Chorla roads are beautiful, as always! And so is the Amboli ghat! Went to Goa through Chorla and came back from Amboli. There's a minuscule patch in Amboli which can be called as not so good road, but it really is such a small patch, you probably wont even notice it If you have never been through the Chorla, it's a must see ghat section. Very beautiful and awesome roads. If time is of essence to you, then Amboli is the way to go.
raghuvir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 13:36   #360
BHPian

Quote:
In this thread only, somewhere someone had mentioned that roads are now in much better condition. When I was coming back last January from Swanatwadi route, they were carrying out recarpeting of the road.

Chorla route carries the same risks in case of rains, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuvir View Post
Did both the routes on 26th and 28th June, Pune-Goa-Pune. Chorla roads are beautiful, as always! And so is the Amboli ghat! Went to Goa through Chorla and came back from Amboli. There's a minuscule patch in Amboli which can be called as not so good road, but it really is such a small patch, you probably wont even notice it If you have never been through the Chorla, it's a must see ghat section. Very beautiful and awesome roads. If time is of essence to you, then Amboli is the way to go.
Thanks a bunch guys! Raghuvir, i think i am gonna hold u to it and go the amboli-sawantwadi route. especially since you have traveled that way just a month ago and there has really not been much rains since. I have been via both routes but that was 3 years ago! thanks again guys. will report back on road conditions when i get back. cheers!
Frankazoid!!! is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks