Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2016, 16:17   #436
BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hey Jesrani / Chirag08,

I would suggest that you read the thread called "Mumbai Pune Kolhapur Goa Road" where I have just posted an update on the roads.

I would suggest you use the Chorla road but do note that it is not advisable after dark.
Also beware of fast moving traffic as the road is usually in very good condition.

Regards
SS
Thank you very much Sir,could you also please suggest a few good petrol pumps on the way, I am guessing I'll have to fill petrol twice.

Also, we have planned to stop at Hotel Sai International, as from what I have read here it has clean restrooms(which was a pre requisite for my wife before agreeing for the road trip), is there any other place you would suggest we can stop on the way, since you travel so regularly along the route.
Old 6th September 2016, 16:49   #437
BHPian

Hi Chirag,

All I can tell you is we make only 1 stop for petrol. The pump is located approx 25-30 Kms before Hotel Sai International. I am afraid I don't know the name but it is a Bharat Petroleum pump. Unless you are driving a real gas guzzler you won't need to stop more than once for petrol as the distance to Goa is 590 Kms.
The distance from my house in Andheri (Lokhandwala) to the pump is exactly 330 Kms (just more than half the distance to Goa), my car gives about 12 to 12.5 Kmpl and after topping off there I reach Goa with more than half a tank.

Soon after you descend the Khambhatki ghat there is a "Smilestones" Hotel which I have heard has clean restrooms but I cannot vouch for it. Quite a big sign on the left hand side (your side) of the highway.
Yes. Sai International has clean restrooms with an attendant on duty (during the day). If your wife feels it is still not OK then complain at the desk and ask for an attendant. They will send one promptly. The other option is McDonald's at Kolhapur (30 Kms ahead of Sai) but it is on the opposite side of the road so you may need to drive past and U turn (a bit of a pain) or walk across the highway - Please do so with great care.
Just before you start climbing Tawande ghat you will find two new restaurants/hotels on the right (opposite side of the highway). One of them is "White House" which has OK restrooms and the other one (quite new) I can't remember the name is also OK. You can easily cut across as there is a break in the divider but again - BE CAREFUL as traffic will be coming down the ghats at speed.
If you are driving via Amboli ghat then Minerva Hotel (just past Ajra - on the left) also has clean restrooms and OK food.
If you are driving via Chorla ghat and are passing through Belgaum then there is a fair size hotel in Belgaum on the left after you pass the horse statue (called Ajanta or Ashoka or something) with good food (veg and non veg) and clean restrooms.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 17:03   #438
BHPian

Thank you very much Suzuki San, mine is an Elite I20, never having done such a long trip before I thought I'll have to fill twice, but that won't be needed as my car gives the same average.

I'll be taking the Chorla route, although I am staying in North Goa. We are planning to leave at around 4:30-5 in the morning so as to avoid any night driving.

Once again thank you very much for the detailed post,it will be extremely helpful.
Old 6th September 2016, 18:32   #439
BHPian

Quote:

Soon after you descend the Khambhatki ghat there is a "Smilestones" Hotel which I have heard has clean restrooms but I cannot vouch for it. Quite a big sign on the left hand side (your side) of the highway.

Just before you start climbing Tawande ghat you will find two new restaurants/hotels on the right (opposite side of the highway). One of them is "White House" which has OK restroom and the other one (quite new) I can't remember the name is also OK. You can easily cut across as there is a break in the divider but again - BE CAREFUL as traffic will be coming down the ghats at speed.
If you are talking of the hotel that is next to DSK Toyota on left side , way ahead of Khambatki ghat as you near Satara, then it is "Milestone park" hotel. Indeed, the hotel used to be super good with a garden in front, clean restrooms and good food, but I too am not sure of it's present condition. Volvo/Merc buses doing Pune-Kolhapur and Pune-Sangli have been religiously stopping at this hotel since 6 years or more. Pardon me if any new "Smilestone" has come up right at the foothills of Khambatki ghat ( towards Satara).

However, the brand "Smilestone" hotel of Prasanna group,Pune has opened up an year back near Kolhapur. It falls on left side going from Belgaum towards Kolhapur, at MIDC Gokul Shirgaon area opp. Gokul milk factory.

I assume, the other hotel you are referring to on Tawandi ghat is "Hotel Amar" ( right side towards Belgaum, with a break in median right in front of it ).

Quote:

If you are driving via Chorla ghat and are passing through Belgaum then there is a fair size hotel in Belgaum on the left after you pass the horse statue (called Ajanta or Ashoka or something) with good food (veg and non veg) and clean restrooms.
This one for sure is "Hotel Adarsha Palace" on College road,Belgaum. Falls on left going towards Goa after you cross Kittur Rani Channamma circle ( horse statue). Yeah, this is one of the plush hotels in Belgaum, good for stay as well as great Veg/non Veg food. There are some other good hotels before this one too - "Ramdev International" being famous.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 18:47   #440
BHPian

Hi Chirag08,

It's actually not "such a long trip" but, of course, if you haven't done it before, I can understand your apprehension. It usually takes me 9.5 to 10 hours door to door including stops.

Please see Vivek95 post after mine. He is absolutely correct on all counts.

Yes. I was talking about the "Smilestone" near Kolhapur. My bad.

Vivek. I am quite impressed with your memory. I don't take too much notice of the names unless we actually stop there and it makes an impression - like at Sai, Minerva and of course, Adarsha Palace.

Please note that you MUST NOT exceed the speed limit of 40 Kmph in Belgaum. The traffic cops usually position themselves near the entrance of the city waiting to catch unsuspecting cars. I was lucky last time. Doing just 50 behind a Sumo. The Sumo got caught as I was hidden behind him.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 22:27   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
If you are talking of the hotel that is next to DSK Toyota on left side , way ahead of Khambatki ghat as you near Satara, then it is "Milestone park" hotel. Indeed, the hotel used to be super good with a garden in front, clean restrooms and good food, but I too am not sure of it's present condition. Volvo/Merc buses doing Pune-Kolhapur and Pune-Sangli have been religiously stopping at this hotel since 6 years or more. Pardon me if any new "Smilestone" has come up right at the foothills of Khambatki ghat ( towards Satara).
Thank you vivek95, must say your memory is amazing. I have already copied yours and Suzuki San's post on my phone to refer to on the way.

Quote:
Hi Chirag08,

It's actually not "such a long trip" but, of course, if you haven't done it before, I can understand your apprehension. It usually takes me 9.5 to 10 hours door to door including stops.

Please see Vivek95 post after mine. He is absolutely correct on all counts.

Regards,
SS

Thank you for the warning about the speed gun,will keep that in mind.You have been very helpful.
chirag08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 12:01   #442
BHPian

Hi chirag08,

One important point to remember is that when you exit Belgaum you will come to a "Y" junction. There is a sign there saying "Chorla" but it's easy to miss as you may have crossing traffic. Also a sign for "Wildernest" which is on the Chorla Ghat. You must take the right fork here else you will go to Khanapur which you don't want.
Suggest you feed in "Chorla" into Google maps to avoid missing this turn off.

When you reach Sanquelim (soon after entering Goa and paying the Rs. 250 tax) you will pass on your left a mosque and then a temple. If you look up you will see a road bridge. Continue down this road, pass under the bridge and soon after (30 metres or so) take a sharp left turn (almost 180 degrees). The road climbs a bit. You will reach another main road. Turn left again (90 degree turn) to pass over the same bridge you just passed under. You are now on the way to Bicholim, Assonora, Tivim and Mapuca.

Be aware that there are 31 speed breakers between the Goa check post and Mapuca city. Not all of them are marked.

Do not overtake on any bridges in Goa especially the main Mandovi (Panjim) and Zuari (Vasco) bridges.

Keep your Rs. 250.00 entry tax voucher in the car till you exit Goa.

If you by any chance have dark tints on your car windows (you should'nt) please roll down the windows when entering the check point.

Depending on where in North Goa you are staying, there are 3 good petrol pumps. The first one is the main pump at Mapuca (called Braganza). There is another at the Anjuna junction and another on the road from Assagao to Arpora. Top up your tank before you leave Goa. Petrol is cheaper there. Nitrogen is available at the MRF sales outlet at Guirim - just off the highway. Hyundai Service is at Porvorim - on the highway from Mapuca to Panjim. Can't miss it. Next to the "Damian de Goa" showroom.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 15:41   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Hi chirag08,

Depending on where in North Goa you are staying, there are 3 good petrol pumps. The first one is the main pump at Mapuca (called Braganza). There is another at the Anjuna junction and another on the road from Assagao to Arpora. Top up your tank before you leave Goa. Petrol is cheaper there. Nitrogen is available at the MRF sales outlet at Guirim - just off the highway. Hyundai Service is at Porvorim - on the highway from Mapuca to Panjim. Can't miss it. Next to the "Damian de Goa" showroom.

Regards,
SS
Wow!, you have been genuinely amazing with your help and really I am feeling much more confident about the trip already with your advice. Thank you very much for taking out the time and doing this, really mean it.
Old 7th September 2016, 17:49   #444
BHPian

Hi chirag08,

No worries. Happy to help.

As mentioned by vikram31, the route to take after Belgaum is Jamboti then Kankumbi, Chorla, Sanquelim etc.
If you put these places into Google maps there is less chance of missing that crucial right turn after Belgaum.

Do NOT under any circumstances (except in an emergency) stop on the ghat road between Jamboti and Kankumbi. There have been sightings of tigers there in the past.

If you need anymore help don't hesitate to ask or PM me.

Remember to carry sufficient small notes and change for the toll booths.

Please do NOT get tempted to carry alcohol on the way back. There is a check point at Kankumbi where they do sometimes stop cars to check. Even though some shops in Goa offer you a "permit", it is worthless in Karnataka and Maharashtra and even a single bottle will cause you a lot of grief.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 19:35   #445
BHPian

Quote:

Vivek. I am quite impressed with your memory. I don't take too much notice of the names unless we actually stop there and it makes an impression - like at Sai, Minerva and of course, Adarsha Palace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirag08 View Post
Thank you vivek95, must say your memory is amazing. I have already copied yours and Suzuki San's post on my phone to refer to on the way.
Hey thank you both, but not really the memory thing, just that I am a regular on NH4. ( an electrocution injury is slowly eating my memory past 2-3years, that's off topic).

Quote:

One important point to remember is that when you exit Belgaum you will come to a "Y" junction. There is a sign there saying "Chorla" but it's easy to miss as you may have crossing traffic. Also a sign for "Wildernest" which is on the Chorla Ghat. You must take the right fork here else you will go to Khanapur which you don't want.
Suggest you feed in "Chorla" into Google maps to avoid missing this turn off.

When you reach Sanquelim (soon after entering Goa and paying the Rs. 250 tax) you will pass on your left a mosque and then a temple. If you look up you will see a road bridge. Continue down this road, pass under the bridge and soon after (30 metres or so) take a sharp left turn (almost 180 degrees). The road climbs a bit. You will reach another main road. Turn left again (90 degree turn) to pass over the same bridge you just passed under. You are now on the way to Bicholim, Assonora, Tivim and Mapuca.
Absolutely agree with you on these two crucial turns. In the past few months, a new huge sign board ( courtesy VTU, Belgaum) has been put into place at Peeranwadi cross, Belgaum (Y-fork) indicating direction to Chorla ghat and Panjim. I found this file pic in my phone, so thought of sharing it here. @chirag08 look out for this sign board, it's easily visible. It has been easy now to get onto the correct road towards Chorla. NH4A via Khanapur to Goa is a newly laid road too. However, the board says 127 kms to Panjim via Chorla from this point which is incorrect. It is exactly 105 kms to Panjim from here. Mapusa is also 105 kms from this Y-fork. The right turn (Panjim) and left turn (Mapusa) at T-Junction at Sanquelim town post the under bridge section is to be kept in mind, as rightly pointed out by @suzuki san.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-img_20160608_105757.jpg  

Old 9th September 2016, 11:05   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Hi chirag08,

No worries. Happy to help.

As mentioned by vikram31, the route to take after Belgaum is Jamboti then Kankumbi, Chorla, Sanquelim etc.
If you put these places into Google maps there is less chance of missing that crucial right turn after Belgaum.

Do NOT under any circumstances (except in an emergency) stop on the ghat road between Jamboti and Kankumbi. There have been sightings of tigers there in the past.

If you need anymore help don't hesitate to ask or PM me.

Remember to carry sufficient small notes and change for the toll booths.

Regards,
SS
Quote:
Hey thank you both, but not really the memory thing, just that I am a regular on NH4. ( an electrocution injury is slowly eating my memory past 2-3years, that's off topic).

Absolutely agree with you on these two crucial turns. In the past few months, a new huge sign board ( courtesy VTU, Belgaum) has been put into place at Peeranwadi cross, Belgaum (Y-fork) indicating direction to Chorla ghat and Panjim. I found this file pic in my phone, so thought of sharing it here. @chirag08 look out for this sign board, it's easily visible. It has been easy now to get onto the correct road towards Chorla. NH4A via Khanapur to Goa is a newly laid road too. However, the board says 127 kms to Panjim via Chorla from this point which is incorrect. It is exactly 105 kms to Panjim from here. Mapusa is also 105 kms from this Y-fork. The right turn (Panjim) and left turn (Mapusa) at T-Junction at Sanquelim town post the under bridge section is to be kept in mind, as rightly pointed out by @suzuki san.
suzuki san, vivek, thanks a lot for the advices, highly appreciated.
I have checked the route in google for Dadar-Madkai (where we are going first) via Chorla. Please let me know if this is the correct route :
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/St...15.4140431!3e0
jesrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 11:24   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
suzuki san, vivek, thanks a lot for the advices, highly appreciated.
I have checked the route in google for Dadar-Madkai (where we are going first) via Chorla. Please let me know if this is the correct route :
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/St...15.4140431!3e0
The route within Belgaum city in your link is unusual , though a good one. It may not help you much in terms of different eateries stops in Belgaum. Also, needless to say, no need of running into Chorla village. May be you put Chorla as one of the intermediate stops in Google maps, thus the routing via the village. Anyways, I have corrected the route, sharing the modified link here. Check https://goo.gl/maps/XNh184KdvFn
Old 9th September 2016, 11:30   #448
BHPian

Quote:
The route within Belgaum city in your link is unusual , though a good one. It may not help you much in terms of different eateries stops in Belgaum. Also, needless to say, no need of running into Chorla village. May be you put Chorla as one of the intermediate stops in Google maps, thus the routing via the village. Anyways, I have corrected the route, sharing the modified link here. Check https://goo.gl/maps/XNh184KdvFn
Thank you so much, will save this route to Mobile.
Old 14th September 2016, 10:32   #449
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Vivek,

Could you please also share the route from Chorla to Madgaon? I have taken the route as per Gmaps a few times, but have a feeling that its probably not the best one
Old 16th September 2016, 01:07   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavj01 View Post
Hi Vivek,

Could you please also share the route from Chorla to Madgaon? I have taken the route as per Gmaps a few times, but have a feeling that its probably not the best one
Hi

Chorla ghat - Keri toll - Sanquelim T-junction ( righ turn here) - Amona bridge - Marcel - Banastarim junction - Ponda bypass - Madgaon . This is what I have always followed and roads were very good till June 2015. Sorry, I don't have latest updates but I believe the roads would have remained fairly good after these rains.

gmap link - https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/15...a=!4m2!4m1!3e0

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks