Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2008, 17:30   #1
BHPian

Road condition updates - Karnataka

Guys,
I visited several places in Karnataka last week and here are the road conditions and route updates. Will post a detailed travelogue with snaps soon. We started from Davangere, however you can check your interested route.

We covered these places in 5 days with very relaxed drive: Horanadu-Kudremukh-Sringeri-Dharmastala-Kukke-Mangalore-Surathkal-Kateel-Moodabidre-Udupi-Agumbe

Route/Road condition/Time taken (Relaxed drive with breaks)
----------------------------------------------------------
Davangere-Shimoga: average with huge craters, took around 2.5 hrs.
Shimoga-Balehonnur-Kalasa-Horanadu: good with few craters/bad stretches. Very scenic drive. Took around 4 hrs.
Horanadu-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Sringeri: Very good but beware of few surprise craters. Just enjoy the scenic drive keeping around 60kmph. Took around 2 hrs.
Sringeri-Kudremukh (half way)-Bajagoli-Guruvayanakere-Ujire-Dharmastala: Very good with very few bad stretches. Took around 4.5 hrs.
Dharmastala-Gundya-Kukke: Good with few pathetic stretches after Gundya. Took around 2 hrs.
Kukke-Gundya-Mangalore: Average with few bad stretches. Beware of speed checks on NH. Took around 2.5 hrs.
Mangalore-Surathkal: bad: Dust and pot holes everywhere due to 4 lane conv. Took around 1 hr.
Surathkal-Mulki-Kateel: Good: Took around 45 min.
Kateel-Moodabidre-Udupi: Good to very good: Took around 2 hr.
Udupi-Agumbe: Very good and scenic: Took around 2 hr
Agumbe-Tirthahalli-Shimoga: Very good and scenic. Very less traffic but beware of last 20 km. Took around 2 hrs.

-Nadigar

PS: Moderators: pl redirect the thread if reqd.
Old 2nd January 2008, 19:21   #2
BHPian

Hi Nadigar,

Can you also give the distance between the locations which would also give us an idea of the road conditions?

Thanks mate
Old 2nd January 2008, 21:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nadigar,

Thank you so much for the udpates.

You mentioned:

Agumbe-Tirthahalli-Shimoga: Very good and scenic. Very less traffic but beware of last 20 km. Took around 2 hrs.

Does this 20km bad one or ghat section ? Can you explain.

Thank you,

Ravi.
Old 2nd January 2008, 21:54   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Nadigar, thanks for the updates.

IMO, this update would be better in threads where we have discussed routes to the places mentioned in the first post of this thread. Some such threads:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...san-mlore.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-horanadu.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...explained.html
Old 2nd January 2008, 22:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good update. Will expect a detailed travelogue along with the below:
Ttype of vehicle used/FE/driveability/performance/comfort etc.
Old 3rd January 2008, 00:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Hi Nadigar,

Does this 20km bad one or ghat section ? Can you explain.

Ravi.
I did this stretch a week back. The 20 km mentioned is a forest region and not a ghat section. The roads are bad at a few places near Shimoga but definitely drivable.

The condition of these roads can be termed as very good when compared to the crater filled stretch between Bhadravati and Tarikere on the national highway to Bangalore.
Old 3rd January 2008, 09:52   #7
BHPian

This was a much needed update, nadigar. Well summarized.
Old 24th May 2011, 11:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Road condition updates - Karnataka

Guys,

Reviving this thread since I did not want to create a new one for queries on road conditions across Karnataka. Although we have dedicated threads for popular circuits like Bangalore-Mangalore, Bangalore-Goa, etc, this thread can be used for posting updates on other areas within Karnataka.

Now for my query . Anyone aware of the latest condition of Mysore-Mananthavary road (SH-33)?
Old 24th May 2011, 14:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Guys,

Now for my query . Anyone aware of the latest condition of Mysore-Mananthavary road (SH-33)?

I assume you meant Mananthavady. Roads are excellent till Kaattikulam except for the stretch near the forest check post where you need to take the detour through the village and then join back the main road, watch out for the numerous speed breakers. My last trip was till Kaattikulam, not sure about the stretch from there to Mananthavady
Old 24th May 2011, 20:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
I assume you meant Mananthavady. Roads are excellent till Kaattikulam except for the stretch near the forest check post where you need to take the detour through the village and then join back the main road, watch out for the numerous speed breakers. My last trip was till Kaattikulam, not sure about the stretch from there to Mananthavady
Thanks gadadhar. Yes, I meant Mananthavady. If I am not mistaken, Kattikulam to Mananthavady is only ~ 10 kms and should not be a concern. Last time I drove on the Mysore-Mananthavady stretch, most of it was in shambles. Good to know that it is done up now.
Old 26th May 2011, 13:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Kalasa - Kottigehara - Mudigere - Sakleshpur - Madikeri

Guys,

Am planning to do Kalasa - Kottigehara - Mudigere - Sakleshpur - Somvarpet - Madikeri sector sometime in July. Has anyone done this (or parts of this) stretch recently? Any updates on the road conditions would be helpful.
Old 31st May 2011, 10:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Vythiri to Madikeri

Guys,

Please let me know the optimal route for a Vythiri - Madikeri drive. This is what I have in mind: Vythiri - Kalpetta - Kainatty (left) - Panamaram - Kattikkulam - Kutta - Ponnampet - Gonikoppal - Madikeri

Couple of queries:

a) Kutta - Ponnampet: Google Maps shows two options here, one via Srimangala, the other being some interior road, with no towns/villages shown en route. Any recommendations here?

b) Gonikoppal - Madikeri: Multiple options available here as well including via Virajpet/Murnad, via Ammathi/Murnad, and via Ammathi/Siddapura/Chettalli. Any recommendations here?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks