Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2008, 08:48   #1
BHPian

Hotel accomodation between Krishnagiri and Coimbatore

I am planning to drive my brand new spark to Kochi some time next week or so. I want to halt overnight at a decent hotel somewhere close to Salem between Krishnagiri and Coimbatore.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Is there a GM number/GM dealer number that I should keep in hand in case of emergencies?

Thanks.
Old 11th January 2008, 08:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Better option would be to drive upto Coimbatore on first day and stay there. Lots of options there.
Old 11th January 2008, 09:07   #3
BHPian

I don't want to do most of the driving on the first day, nor do I want to drive at night. I just want to shack out somewhere just after Salem till night passes and day breaks. If Coimbatore had been an option, I would have stayed with my cousin.
Old 11th January 2008, 09:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

I guess vikram is right. bangalore-cbe is about 400km which is not much of a drive in a single day, should take you app. 7 hours. If you leave early, you can reach much before sunset.
Old 11th January 2008, 09:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Best choice is to stay at Mettur Dam (where you have some budget hotels, although I can't name any) assuming you take the Toppur-Mettur-Bhavani route. Alternatively, Bhavani town too has several small hotels. The next best choice is to go to Erode, a detour of 10 kms.
Old 11th January 2008, 09:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

@ hv - if you take the toppur mettur bhavani route you will not touch salem right?
@Jorge: staying at cbe is a good option and its not much of a drive. Also, from the kerala border, the roads are not that great, so the drive to kochi might take you more time than anticipated, therefore staying at cbe is better- because you finish the bulk of your journey on good roads in one day.
Old 11th January 2008, 10:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

BNG-CBE is 350Km only.

But for accomodation between KRI-CBE : why dont you try Salem. I have no idea about the accomodation availability, but being the business center it is, I reckon it should have some pretty decent acco. Maybe someone will be able to suggest some place at Salem.

Salem being just 200KM from BNG, I guess this will the right distance for you to make a stop.
Old 11th January 2008, 10:40   #8
BHPian

Salem - CBE stretch is long and boring. Better to cover at least a part of it on the first day itself. Even when I took the Mettur-Bhavani route I had found the Bhavani - CBE stretch pretty boring with a long line of trucks always ahead of me.
Old 11th January 2008, 10:52   #9
BHPian

Looks like all bhpians drive straight to coimbatore, without halting anywhere overnight. Considering that the longest drive that I have done till now is from Koramangala to Babusahibpalaya, 7/400km hours is pretty long :-)
OK then, I will call up my cousin and tell them that I will be staying with them AND leave sometime in the morning. The only downside is that if I leave at 6 am, I will reach Coimbatore at 1pm, and might as well continue on to Kochi . . .that would be a 10 hour journey . . . . but that appears to be my only choice for my first long drive.

Thanks to all.
Old 11th January 2008, 11:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Why are you not keen to drive all the way to Cochi the same day?

I suggest leave early in the morning, around 6 is ok, have breakfast at Dharmapuri. Continue towards Coimbatore, take the toppur-mettur-bhavani road if u want to byepass Salem. You'll be reaching CBE by around 1 or 2.

Have lunch at CBE. Or you can have it later after you enter Kerala.

Continue the journey. You'll reach Palghat after an hour or so. And from Palghat to Kochi it'll take you around 3 hours.

I & JK reached Ernakulam at 5 when we came to Tvm from Blr. We left from Blr at 6am. We were on the bike but.
Old 11th January 2008, 11:51   #11
BHPian

. . . because this is my first long drive. Long distance driving might make me tired (I don't know, you see). And tired drivers frequently cause accidents (apart from the drunk ones that is). So I am just being cautious about driving after I become tired.
If I don't feel tired once I am Coimbatore, I might give my cousin a miss . . .
Old 11th January 2008, 12:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
. . . because this is my first long drive. Long distance driving might make me tired (I don't know, you see). And tired drivers frequently cause accidents (apart from the drunk ones that is). So I am just being cautious about driving after I become tired.
If I don't feel tired once I am Coimbatore, I might give my cousin a miss . . .

......in which case you can take the Coimbatore Bypass and save yourself the trouble and time navigating through Coimbatore City traffic. With an earky morning start, driving on to Kochi the same day is the best option, but don't stretch yourself.
Old 11th January 2008, 12:20   #13
BHPian

Found the following for stay in and around erode. New Page 1

This is the closest to answering my question at the start of the thread, unless some specific addresses can be found for Bhavani/Mettur Dam.
Old 11th January 2008, 12:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Found the following for stay in and around erode. New Page 1

This is the closest to answering my question at the start of the thread, unless some specific addresses can be found for Bhavani/Mettur Dam.
I remember staying in Clifton Hotel, in Erode, next to bus stand in 1987-88!!!!!
Old 11th January 2008, 12:44   #15
BHPian

Jorge,

IMHO you can start at 8 in the morning and reach Coimbatore before sundown.
Since you are driving for first time,you would drive slower than most of the Team-BHP guys here. Moreover, you would tend to take a break every 2 hours or so - at least I do -its a good practice. So all combined - you would easily take 8 hours to cover that 350 odd km to reach there by 4:00-4:30pm.

Most Viewed