Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2014, 20:13   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Road Condition - Bangalore - Yercaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Karimangalam-Morappur-Harur-Kuppanur-Yercaud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
going via Morappur and Kambainallur.
Quick check - how is the Karimangalam - Morappur stretch? It doesn't seem to be an SH and I will driving with family on board my WagonR
Old 28th February 2014, 21:07   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Quick check - how is the Karimangalam - Morappur stretch? It doesn't seem to be an SH and I will driving with family on board my WagonR
Its a nice stretch. A bit narrow to begin with, but post Morappur its nice wide road. Surely worth the drive.

But please note, you need to be vigilant to spot the exit at Kupanur. There is no marking in there saying that its an exit to Yercaud.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 22:14   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is actually kambainallur-morappur stretch. It is a pretty good 2 lane road. I remember seeing some bridge construction going on around kambainallur. Take care while driving. This stretch is a good one to drive all the way till Harur.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 22:25   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But please note, you need to be vigilant to spot the exit at Kupanur. There is no marking in there saying that its an exit to Yercaud.
The video in my previous post does show a yellow sign board in tamil. should be able to manage as I do speak the language
Old 1st March 2014, 11:18   #140
BHPian

thanks for the latest update.
We are visiting Yercaud next week, Ideally I would have loved to try out the other route mentioned above but since my wife is carrying I would stick to the 4 lane route.
Generally during trips to Kerala and south of Bangalore, I start at 6am thus bypassing the traffic in Bangalore, Hosur and Salem. This time around planning to start at around 7 or 8am to reach Yercaud by noon, not sure how bad the traffic would be.
Old 1st March 2014, 11:26   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
This time around planning to start at around 7 or 8am to reach Yercaud by noon, not sure how bad the traffic would be.

Only problem:

- Attibele toll
- Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri traffic
- Crowded A2B
Old 1st March 2014, 14:41   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are visiting Yercaud next week, Ideally I would have loved to try out the other route mentioned above but since my wife is carrying I would stick to the 4 lane route.
Generally during trips to Kerala and south of Bangalore, I start at 6am thus bypassing the traffic in Bangalore, Hosur and Salem. This time around planning to start at around 7 or 8am to reach Yercaud by noon, not sure how bad the traffic would be.
Yercaud is about 230 kms from bangalore. Even if you leave bangalore by 7 AM, you should reach salem in about 3.5 hrs . Climbing to Yercaud has 20 hair pin bends of which the last 3 bends are steeper. Happy Journey
Old 2nd March 2014, 22:13   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We are visiting Yercaud next week, Ideally I would have loved to try out the other route mentioned above but since my wife is carrying I would stick to the 4 lane route
sansvk - would suggest you stick to the salem - yercaud route as the other route is pretty lonely if it is just you and your wife. Just got back from Yercaud. Did Bangalore - Karimangalam - Harur - Kuppanur - Yercaud on the way up and Salem - Bangalore return.
While the Alternative route is very good (superb roads and almost zero traffic) it does get very lonely at times
Old 4th March 2014, 01:34   #144
BHPian

Sorry for waking a sleeping thread. We, a group of 9 are going to Yercaud on 8-Mar-2014. We badly want to do the 32km-loop road but I'm not able to track the loop road on google map. I could only spot the Y-junction en route to Shevaroy temple but nothing beyond that. Can someone kindly post a google map link here with route for the the loop-road?
Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 08:39   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazer2013 View Post
Sorry for waking a sleeping thread. We, a group of 9 are going to Yercaud on 8-Mar-2014. We badly want to do the 32km-loop road but I'm not able to track the loop road on google map. I could only spot the Y-junction en route to Shevaroy temple but nothing beyond that. Can someone kindly post a google map link here with route for the the loop-road?
Thanks
Which is the loop that you were referring to? If you can explain that, may be we can trace. If you are referring to the Kuppanur road, thats very clearly marked.

Quote:
sansvk - would suggest you stick to the salem - yercaud route as the other route is pretty lonely if it is just you and your wife. Just got back from Yercaud. Did Bangalore - Karimangalam - Harur - Kuppanur - Yercaud on the way up and Salem - Bangalore return.
While the Alternative route is very good (superb roads and almost zero traffic) it does get very lonely at times
As long as one is one the planes, it not lonely. But, yes its quite desolate in the ghats. But the Harur-Salem SH is fun to drive.

Quote:
Not just Harur - Salem but the Whole stretch from Karimangalam - Morappur - Harur - Kuppanur is fun to drive. Winding roads with old trees on both sides. I loved the short drive through Kalrayan forests just before Kuppanur
Yes thats the other reason too! Awe some roads through those forests. Next time whenever I go, need to stop for photographs. Today I dont have any.

Last edited by ampere : 4th March 2014 at 09:01.
Old 4th March 2014, 08:50   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As long as one is one the planes, it not lonely. But, yes its quite desolate in the ghats. But the Harur-Salem SH is fun to drive.
Not just Harur - Salem but the Whole stretch from Karimangalam - Morappur - Harur - Kuppanur is fun to drive. Winding roads with old trees on both sides. I loved the short drive through Kalrayan forests just before Kuppanur
Old 4th March 2014, 09:54   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The next time you plan to drive to yercaud, try this route

Via Hosur, Rayakottai, Palacode, Pennagaram, Mecheri and Salem. Pennagaram - Mecheri stretch is a treat to drive
Old 6th March 2014, 07:46   #148
BHPian

The road through Thoppur - Danishpet - Kanavaipudur - Kolakkur - Karadiyur - Nagalur - Yercaud is also repaired, re-laid and in a drivable condition now... reports my good friend Aditya Ramesh, who attempted this route and completed it along with another friend Mr.Mohanraj Shankar, on their bike.

They did this route 5 days ago riding down from Yercaud. His photos on FB showed flawless new tarmac all the way down, with fresh mud patches only at a few short stretches.

Congrats & Thanks Adithya & Shankar

Last edited by Ddrive : 6th March 2014 at 07:58. Reason: spellchecks
Ddrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 08:41   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
The road through Thoppur - Danishpet - Kanavaipudur - Kolakkur - Karadiyur - Nagalur - Yercaud is also repaired, re-laid and in a drivable condition now... reports my good friend Aditya Ramesh, who attempted this route and completed it along with another friend Mr.Mohanraj Shankar, on their bike.

They did this route 5 days ago riding down from Yercaud. His photos on FB showed flawless new tarmac all the way down, with fresh mud patches only at a few short stretches.

Congrats & Thanks Adithya & Shankar
Thanks Ddrive for the update.

Is this the road they have taken?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3374991

Can you post pics here? I am not in FB.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 10:05   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Thanks Ddrive for the update.
Is this the road they have taken?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3374991

Can you post pics here? I am not in FB.
You are welcome ContyCruiser.

In the Glink shown by you... Point B ends half way in a different location, and it is not the route what Adithya did. Also I do not know of the places shown in your photographs , as I have not gone that side at all.

I will try to post the link for the 'walking trail', as google at present shows no road connectivity on the route in between Kolakoor & Kanavaipudur. May be Adithya himself could help (Are you reading this Adithya?).

Will try to post some pics here shortly, with the pic-owner's permission.

Regards.

Last edited by Ddrive : 6th March 2014 at 10:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks