Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2014, 10:24   #121
Team-BHP Support

Re: Road Condition - Bangalore - Yercaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
I am planning a group ride from Bangalore.
I or rather we wish to take this route
Bangalore -krishnagiri-dharmapuri-harur-pagoda point-yercaud-Salem-krishnagiri-Bangalore.

I want to know if dharmapuri-harur-yercaud roads are is in good condition?
Also any other suggests is welcome.
Its not Dharmapuri-Harur. You should do : Karimangalam-Morappur-Harur-Kuppanur.

You exit the 4-lane at about 22km from Krishanagiri Chennai crossing. This the Karimangalam exit. You should see board for Morappur/Harur. At Harur, take the Harur bypass and there on the road to Salem.

Its an awesome road for biking. I was on this route last year and enjoyed every bit. However you need to spot the correct exit at Kuppanur. Its a very small exit with no markings. Hence keep your GPS (Phone/Garmin) handy. You might need it. On the ghats, be careful. Its a narrow road as compared to the Salem ghat road. Though very low of traffic you will see occasional vehicles coming down. The Harur-Kuppanur road via Kalrayan forests is also mesmerising. Though just about 10-15 km at most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Why would you want to do Dharmapuri-Harur? You can very well drive down to Salem and take the Kuppanur route to Yercaud.
The only reason I can think is: Amazing road from biking. Brilliant 2-Lane SH of TN lined with trees on both sides, which is a rarity these days.

Last edited by ampere : 8th February 2014 at 10:38.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 10:30   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The only reason I can think is: Amazing road from biking. Brilliant 2-Lane SH of TN lined with trees on both sides, which is a rarity these days.
Yes it's a biker think. :-). Moreover the the highways will get too boring.
Thanks for the advising regarding the ghats will advice my fellow riders to take caution on the curves.
Old 8th February 2014, 10:44   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
Yes it's a biker think. :-). Moreover the the highways will get too boring.
Thanks for the advising regarding the ghats will advice my fellow riders to take caution on the curves.
Here is the route link : http://goo.gl/7lLqbc
Points to note :
- At Karimangalam you should get on the bypass.
- When you see the board to Morappur/Harur, exit the 4-lane. Go below the flyover and there on get to the SH to Harur via Morappur.
- Also note at Morappur, you will cut the Tirupattur-Dharmapuri SH. Don't take that road. The Harur SH there would feel very narrow compared to that road.
- Harur bypass is also indicated on the route link I sent.
Old 21st February 2014, 11:40   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to drive to Yercaud next weekend and don't want to struggle through the slow traffic after Hosur. Hence thinking of taking this route:
http://goo.gl/maps/SZo3l
Bangalore > Hosur (U turn after the flyover and hit SH17) > Rayakottai (Continue on SH 17) > Dharmapuri (Join AH 43) > Salem > Yercaud

Have got some feedback on Hosur - Rayakottai road that it pretty much ok with some bad patches. No potholes (from Chennai - Bangalore Thread).
Need feedback on Rayakottai - Dharamapuri stretch of SH 17.

Thanks
Rj
Old 21st February 2014, 12:22   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Planning to drive to Yercaud next weekend and don't want to struggle through the slow traffic after Hosur. Hence thinking of taking this route:
http://goo.gl/maps/SZo3l
Bangalore > Hosur (U turn after the flyover and hit SH17) > Rayakottai (Continue on SH 17) > Dharmapuri (Join AH 43) > Salem > Yercaud

Have got some feedback on Hosur - Rayakottai road that it pretty much ok with some bad patches. No potholes (from Chennai - Bangalore Thread).

Thanks
Rj
Why dont you try this route?

http://goo.gl/maps/Abdts

This is very scenic. Most important aspect is you avoid going through salem. I have been on this stretch till Harur. From Harur, it is SH18 all the way till kuppanur.
Old 21st February 2014, 12:25   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thats a pretty decent SH. You will see trucks who take this road to avoid tolls on the 4-lane. But then you get no decent place to break. Break at A2B at Thoppur in the case.
Old 21st February 2014, 12:36   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thats a pretty decent SH. You will see trucks who take this road to avoid tolls on the 4-lane. But then you get no decent place to break. Break at A2B at Thoppur in the case.
Now that might be a problem as I am traveling with family and planning to leave Bangalore at 5.30 am. Would ideally like a stop at 7 or 7.30 am, which means A2B Thoppur is still some distance away. Any stops around Rayakottai??
Also wanted to check if Hosur - Rayakottai is better than the Attibele - Rayakottai route?
Old 21st February 2014, 13:12   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now that might be a problem as I am traveling with family and planning to leave Bangalore at 5.30 am. Would ideally like a stop at 7 or 7.30 am, which means A2B Thoppur is still some distance away. Any stops around Rayakottai??
Also wanted to check if Hosur - Rayakottai is better than the Attibele - Rayakottai route?
I would suggest stick to Hosur Rayakottai road despite the constructions going on. Attibele-Rayakottai road has not been in good shape for quite some time.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 14:51   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any stops around Rayakottai??
Not that I am aware of. You wont find any places, till you hit the 4-lane. On the other hand, even if you take 4-lane from Bangalore, and like clock work you are able to leave Bangalore by 5:30, then I am sure even Shoolagiri A2B will open only by 6:30/7AM. And you would past by 6:30. In that case I would suggest take the regular 4-lane and by 7 you should be at Krishnagiri and you can break at Saravana Bhavan just after the Chennai crossing.

Last edited by ampere : 21st February 2014 at 14:53.
Old 21st February 2014, 14:56   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shoolagiri A2B will open only by 6:30/7AM
Yep. Will stick to the 4 lane and do the boring drive down to Salem. Guess I have to live with the bad stretch between Hosur - Shoolagiri
Old 21st February 2014, 15:18   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yep. Will stick to the 4 lane and do the boring drive down to Salem. Guess I have to live with the bad stretch between Hosur - Shoolagiri
Please check with others too about opening time of A2B. If its 6 I may be wrong. But in spite of that you can break past Krishnagiri. Its good leave bad road behind and take a break. And instead of the boring 4-lane can you also do : Karimangalam-Morappur-Harur-Kuppanur-Yercaud.

Route Link

Last edited by GTO : 22nd February 2014 at 16:03. Reason: Formatting
Old 21st February 2014, 15:27   #132
BHPian

Couple of weeks back we had been to Yercaud and stayed at Heavens Ledge.

Resort is at the edge of 300+ ft clip and it has nice view. At night, due to city lights, we could see Selam on left and Dharmapuri on right. Morning while returning we thought of avoiding Selam and head directly to Dharmapuri. Locals mentioned it can save travel time by 2 hours. However the road is not great, but drivable [mud road].

But it had different story, there was no road at all and big rocks. Some the villages enroute were stinking to the core with human waste.

As a gift, got some under-body scratches on my car and few scratches on side body of my colleagues car [brand new Punto]

Posting some pics.

Route taken while returning: http://goo.gl/maps/3dz9i
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Yercaud Queries. EDIT: Avoid the Danishpet route!-altaigm68ktvametl1v2n8ljzpgtglpjeslb7qcmhbaolh.jpg  

Bangalore - Yercaud Queries. EDIT: Avoid the Danishpet route!-altaisbq2mohhlstvx6wmidr60m9mdv95ezrgosawvbrsk.jpg  

Bangalore - Yercaud Queries. EDIT: Avoid the Danishpet route!-altam3om7rk0un5n2ptgqdaddn_xaelkxbhmquimfu8fh.jpg  

Bangalore - Yercaud Queries. EDIT: Avoid the Danishpet route!-altamwvevlazqza8lovaclrgtapx6l7sakzhxdkasnb0hm.jpg  

Bangalore - Yercaud Queries. EDIT: Avoid the Danishpet route!-altaqcuyhiy2wzimv1aind7mb2v3dzt7bi5x4suptxihas.jpg  

Bangalore - Yercaud Queries. EDIT: Avoid the Danishpet route!-altatb4mbjuptosxqpues5extss6hgycs4zgp0fbz_6ji.jpg  

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 21st February 2014 at 15:36.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 16:08   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Couple of weeks back we had been to Yercaud and stayed at Heavens Ledge.
===========
Route taken while returning: http://goo.gl/maps/3dz9i
You have taken the dharmapuri main road that passes through kadathur (my father's home town). Instead you should have taken the harur road. This is very scenic.
From Harur you can rejoin the NH by going via Morappur and Kambainallur.
Old 21st February 2014, 16:22   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
You have taken the dharmapuri main road that passes through kadathur (my father's home town). Instead you should have taken the harur road. This is very scenic.
Yes, I have done Harur road last year while going to Pondy. We did it in night and even during that time it was beautiful. Have some special memories attached to it

Will try Bangalore - Harur - Yercaud some time.

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 21st February 2014 at 16:27.
Old 21st February 2014, 20:39   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Karimangalam-Morappur-Harur-Kuppanur-Yercaud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
After all your inputs and Video I think I will take Morappur-Harur-Kuppanur-Yercaud route
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks