Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2008, 10:17   #1
BHPian

Bangalore - Mantralayam : Route Queries

I would like to know if any of the BHpians have done Bangalore-Mantralaya. If so, please let me know the distance, route to be taken, and the road conditions. Also, please let me know if it is safe for a single family to go by car in this route since many of them have told me that the route from Ananthpur to Mantralaya is a naxalite area (there was an attack on a KSRTC bus in the night a few years ago). I am also told that there are long stretches on this route which is very deserted with rare vehicular movement. I visit Mantralaya every year by train, but would like to go by car this year if I get a favorable response from the BHpians.

Raj
Old 15th January 2008, 13:14   #2
BHPian

Hello Sada;

You can travel by car in day time, there is no problem. There are many villages on the stretch, so no problem....

Its around 408 kms from Bangalore. I have done this route couple of times without any problem. Once in my Omni & second time in my Esteem. I usually leave Bangalore by 7:00am and reach the place by 4:00pm.

You need to take the Hyderabad route, after Ananthpur you will get a place called Gooty, there you need to take a left turn & from there it is around 150-170 kms ( not sure ), it is a state highway ( single road ). This is the route which will be bit deserted by you will pass through many of villages. On this route just 100kms before Mantralaya you will get a place called Adoni its a big town, you can stop there for Petrol,food etc... Just 20 kms before Mantralaya you will get a junction called Mantralaya Road, there you need to take a right & from there 30mins drive is Mantralaya.

Suggestions:

1. Carry lot of water, cos from Gooty to Adoni, there is no water ( you will find borewells across route, but again the water quality is different )
2. Leave Bangalore as early as possible, you can have breakfast in Gokul near Kodigehalli gate & have lunch at gooty ( 230Kms ).
3. Visit mapmyindia.com & take the route map MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go!
4. Check with people for diversions.
5. From Gooty the road is single, watch out for on coming vehicles, if they dont give way, please get down the road & let them pass. You can find very bad roads & drivers also.

Anything else, please message me.

Regards
deepak
Old 15th January 2008, 19:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

I second what deepak says in here.

You can try Blre -> tumkur -> Hiriyur -> Bellary -> Mantralaya. Distance would be around 430km. Bangalore to Bellary route is very good and from Bellary to Mantralaya I fel road condition is not good.

You can try like this. First day reach Bellary by evening and stay there and next day visit mantralaya and come back to Bellary and then back to Bangalore after resting in Bellary. This is just another idea thats it

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 15th January 2008, 21:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

260 kms from Bangalore Hebbal to Gooty on NH7. As Deepak mentioned, turn off NH7 (left) at Gooty and go via Pattikonda 37 kms, Aspari 16, Adoni 24 and Madhavaram 43, where you turn right to go to Mantralaya 9 kms. That makes it a total of 389 kms from Bangalore Hebbal to Mantralaya. One of my freinds Dwarak did this run 2 months ago, and he found the roads OK, including the Gooty-Mantralayam stretch.
Old 15th January 2008, 23:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

You may go to my thread called Bangalore to Gulbarga in For Ikon flair. You can follow this route upto Bellary and from Bellary there are sign boards guiding you to go to Mantralayam. If not, the ask people over there, they will guide you. You can leave your house by 0700 hrs and be in Bellary by 1300 hrs latest if you drive 90~100 kmph and from there it is a couple of hours jourey. OR alternatively just follow what kumar had informed above.
Old 16th January 2008, 16:35   #6
BHPian

Bangalore Mantralaya drive

Hi all, This is my first posting...

Bangalore - Mantralaya

Date : Onward : 30.12.2007, Return : 01.01.2008 , Car : Maruti 800, 4 in all.

Route : Bangalore.. Yelahanka ( Byepass ).. Chickballapur.. Penukonda.. Anantpur ( Byepass ).. Gooty.. take left at junction after passing thru town...rly level crossing...Jonnagiri.. Pattikonka ( Byepass ).. Aspari ( cross road - go straight ) ...Adoni... Madhavaram.. right turn.. Mantralayam ( Manchala ).

Distance : 407 kms. Running time : 8hrs30 mins, Petrol : approx : 19 lits ( one way )

The entire stretch of NH 7 from Chickballapur to Anantpur is being widened. Top speed could not cross 80-90 kms/ hr - many speed breakers, culvert constructions / diversions.Beware of culvert diversions especially if dark. Rough patches near Penukonda ( near ghats ).

Not worth entering Anantpur for decent food except if previously known.. instead take byepass and try A1 plaza 8 kms before Gooty.

Good roads ( if not excellent ) from Gooty to Mantralayam..except for small stretch near pattikonda bye pass.

DO NOT enter pattikonda...narrow roads and also chances of getting lost ...and also do not go from Adoni to Mantralayam via Yemmiganur..longer and rougher roads.

Never found any stretch totally deserted.. there are lot of buses, sharing- autos and lorries which ply on these roads.

Have a great drive and darshan !
Old 17th January 2008, 08:11   #7
BHPian

Thank you all for all the valuable inputs. After being hesitant to visit Mantralaya by car since a long time, at last I have made up my mind to go by car this time. I am yet to decide on the date and will share my experience on my return. Roaming Rao's recent experience is really going to help me a lot. Thanks once again.

Regards,

Raj
Old 30th April 2008, 08:36   #8
BHPian

@sada, did you complete your trip? Can you please post your experiences, I might do this trip soon
Old 27th May 2008, 10:16   #9
BHPian

Sorry Gopz, i am replying after a very long time as i was on a long leave due to health reasons. I have still not made this trip, most probably will be doing it in June, but not sure if i will be going by car or train......most probably train because of health reasons again. If you do this trip, pls do write about it.

Raj
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:03   #10
srb

Bangalore to Mantralaya

Pl let me know if anyone has travelled to Mantralaya by car recently . I wanted to know the road conditions for the below
-Bangalore -Mantralaya via Anantapur , Penugonda etc
-bangalore to Mantralaya via Bellary .

I want to know which one of the routes is better for driving. I am planning to travel in March 1st week , hence need some quick opinions.
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:47   #11
BHPian

Hi srb, Please refer post no. 6 ( this thread ) for the route and distances, though i have no idea on condition of Bellary route.

We drove back from Mantralaya on Jan 1st 2009.

Bangalore - Gooty : good roads with lot of diversions - could maintain average of 55-60 km/hr.

Gooty - Adoni : Bad stretch, slow driving, could not exceed 50km/hr. see pics

Adoni - Mantralaya - good road

Hope this helps

Regards,
Rao

Pics 1, 2, 5 & 6 - road condition between Gooty and Adoni
Pics 3, 4 & 7 - Bangalore - Gooty road condition
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Mantralayam : Route Queries-img_2516.jpg  

Bangalore - Mantralayam : Route Queries-img_2518.jpg  

Bangalore - Mantralayam : Route Queries-img_2519.jpg  

Bangalore - Mantralayam : Route Queries-img_2521.jpg  

Bangalore - Mantralayam : Route Queries-gooty-mantralaya.jpg  

Bangalore - Mantralayam : Route Queries-img_2517.jpg  

Bangalore - Mantralayam : Route Queries-img_2520.jpg  

Old 2nd March 2009, 10:57   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Hi srb, Please refer post no. 6 ( this thread ) for the route and distances, though i have no idea on condition of Bellary route.

We drove back from Mantralaya on Jan 1st 2009.
-----
Pics 1, 2, 5 & 6 - road condition between Gooty and Adoni
Pics 3, 4 & 7 - Bangalore - Gooty road condition

Hi - what are the boarding/lodging options available in Mantralaya? Please let me know the details and tariffs. Am planning to do this trip very shortly.
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:30   #13
BHPian

Hi,

Getting a cottage / room in mantralaya should not be a major issue at this time. The town is usually crowded on Thursdays and on weekends. There is no advance reservations in any of the cottages / choultrys --- just walk in...not a matter of anxiety !

Temple / Mutt owned cottages :
Contact the Central Reception Office at the first circle.
Tel : 08512 279659
Rates range from Rs. 75.00 ( non A/c ) to Rs. 600.00 ( A/c ) depending on no. of members. easily available, clean.

Karnataka Choultry ( 50 rooms ) - good, clean.
Tel : 08512 279448
non A/c - Rs. 150.00, A/c Rs. 500.00 ( no generator ! )
Manager : 09449416067 ( Mr. Arvind )

Punnami Hotel ( andhra tourism )
Tel : 08512 279463
Non A/c Rs. 500.00 , A/c : Rs. 900.00

Do not approach agents.

Food :
There are numerous good, clean restaurants along the main road leading to the temple. Prominent one is a Darshini style, Mantralaya tiffen Room ( MTR ) in front of the temple gate. Lunch is served at the temple.

Hope this helps..

Have a nice darshan..

Regards,
Rao
Old 5th March 2009, 15:51   #14
srb

Bangalore to Mantralaya

Thanks ,

Are there any good hotels which we can stop by enroute to Mantralaya ? Pl let me know the names and towns located .
Old 5th March 2009, 21:58   #15
BHPian

The only place you could get decent hotels is Anantpur ( km 220 from Bangalore ).

You could try SRS regency at Saptagiri circle ( 08554 227777 ) or Sampoorna hotel at the same circle. Both hotels charge Rs.500 for non a/c and Rs.900 for a/c room.

To reach saptagiri circle, take right from byepass ( from bangalore side ) at flyover construction, pass railway bridge and tower clock ( approx 2 km ).

Hope this helps...

Most Viewed