Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2019, 12:18   #256
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Started at 1AM from BLR, drove non stop to Velankanni (BLR-Namakkal-Srirangam-Mannargudi-TTPondi-Velankanni), reached around 830-845AM. The last 150kms slows you down. Good roads overall.

From Velankanni we proceeded to Pondicherry, 160+kms which took almost 4 hours during afternoon hours. Narrow roads coupled with heavy traffic.

Pondy-BLR return, took the following route. Pondy-Vandavasi-Arcot-Krishnagiri-BLR. 6+ hours driving time, with a stop for lunch at Star Biryani somewhere near Ambur. Initial stretch from Pondy-Arcot are mostly single lane but good roads.

Last edited by xotiq : 18th February 2019 at 12:21.
xotiq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 13:57   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I returned from Velankanni on the 16th and took the above route via Thiruvanmallai just for a change. It took a total for 11 hours from start to finish with a total of probably 90 mins halt. The distance was 440 kms till home. The roads at most of the stretches are not great, especially from Chengam to Krishnagiri. Average speeds reduce a lot since roads are narrow most of the way with lots of two wheelers and locals on the road along with cattle.
The other route I did onward seemed to be quickest which is via Mannarguddi, Thanjavur, Trichy bypass, Musiri, Namakkal, Salem, Bangalore.

The route via Kumbakonam is again slow and narrow from the coast till Kumbakonam, but good roads after that all the way Salem from what I did in 2017.
Yes agree the Kumbakonam route has bad roads from Velankanni upto kumbakonam but thereon its a wide 2 lane road. Time-wise both kumbakonam route as well as trichy take more or less same time.

But I did want to know on a sunday noon (return) and on weekday early morning (onward) is it advisable to enter Salem instead of the taking the very roundabout byepass. This is when we were coming from vrindachalam.
Old 18th February 2019, 14:13   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheels View Post

But I did want to know on a sunday noon (return) and on weekday early morning (onward) is it advisable to enter Salem instead of the taking the very roundabout byepass. This is when we were coming from vrindachalam.
Salem bypass is much better since they have completed the flyover work. I passed by on a weekday morning and was able to clear Salem in some 20 minutes or less , heading towards Nammakkal.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 07:55   #259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheels View Post
Yes agree the Kumbakonam route has bad roads from Velankanni upto kumbakonam but thereon its a wide 2 lane road. Time-wise both kumbakonam route as well as trichy take more or less same time.
Distance wise both KMU and Trichy are same. I guess it all boils down to the last mile. KMU is also an equally easy option. Given we have Salem-Attur-Veppur-Vridhchalam bypass - Jayamkondan - T Palur - KMU being an easy road to drive. KMU bypass is also good and so is the road all the way till Kollumangudi. At least this does not see truck traffic (Well to put it better, I dont remember seeing any). But I am guessing Kollumangudi-Karaikal-Nagapattanam-Vellankanni may be the one playing spoil sport. Not sure about that part.

Quote:
Salem bypass always works for me. I have never tried to go inside the town. 10-15 extra minutes, gives you peace of mind and an easy road to drive.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:04   #260
BHPian

For all those going to Velankanni from Trichy, we can take the normal Thanjavur - Needamangalam - Thiruvarur - Velankanni route. Though the four laning hasn't been completed but the roads have been topped better now, and it is no more inconvenient to drive. Yes, still the Needamangalam - Koradacheri section is same as old curvy road. One need not go the round about Thanjavur - Mannargudi - Thiruvarur route now.
vvijayakrishnan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:07   #261
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijayakrishnan View Post
For all those going to Velankanni from Trichy, we can take the normal Thanjavur - Needamangalam - Thiruvarur - Velankanni route. Though the four laning hasn't been completed but the roads have been topped better now, and it is no more inconvenient to drive.
Good to note this. It would have also been great if there was a bypass to Nedamangalam town. That would save so much time. Especially if one gets stuck in a slew of railway crossing inside the town.
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:13   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Good to note this. It would have also been great if there was a bypass to Nedamangalam town. That would save so much time. Especially if one gets stuck in a slew of railway crossing inside the town.

They have already made good section of that bye pass. But as the bridges haven't been completed, it is not put to use. It takes us from 5km before of Needamangalam and leaves us at few kms away from Koradacheri. So if it comes to use, this route would be very comfortable.
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:19   #263
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijayakrishnan View Post
They have already made good section of that bye pass. But as the bridges haven't been completed, it is not put to use. It takes us from 5km before of Needamangalam and leaves us at few kms away from Koradacheri. So if it comes to use, this route would be very comfortable.
Thanks! This is great to note.

Can you mark on maps and show where is this? I tried to look, but could not spot even in satellite mode.
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:28   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks! This is great to note.

Can you mark on maps and show where is this? I tried to look, but could not spot even in satellite mode.

I have attached the map and marked the two ends of the bye pass. You can note how smooth the big curve is and how convenient it would be once open for use.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries-needamangalam-bye-pass-may-2019.jpg  

Old 25th July 2019, 18:41   #265
BHPian

Hey guys, planning to drive to Velankanni from Bangalore tomorrow. Google maps shows the route
BLR - Salem - Attur - Virudachalam - kumbakonam - thiruvarur - Velankanni.

Or should I go for the route mentioned here?

BLR - Salem -Namakkal - Musiri - Mannargudi - Velankanni.

Please update
Old 26th July 2019, 07:15   #266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Hey guys, planning to drive to Velankanni from Bangalore tomorrow. Google maps shows the route
Sorry saw this late. Definitely good option. Only hitch I guess would Kumbhakonam bypass - Nachiyar Kovil - Thiruvarur is a twisty road. Also dont know the latest conditions here. But that other wise, this is definitely an easier option, as per me.
Old 26th July 2019, 08:02   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post

Or should I go for the route mentioned here?

BLR - Salem -Namakkal - Musiri - Mannargudi - Velankanni.

Please update
Faster option would be the second one since you are on 4 laned roads most of the time .
The first option has some narrow sections in the last stretch which will slow you down and it depends on the road conditions too. I had done it few years back and enjoyed the drive, but if you want to cover distance fast, via Trichy is better.
Old 23rd October 2019, 09:41   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Faster option would be the second one since you are on 4 laned roads most of the time .
The first option has some narrow sections in the last stretch which will slow you down and it depends on the road conditions too. I had done it few years back and enjoyed the drive, but if you want to cover distance fast, via Trichy is better.
My friend intends to visit Velankanni on 1st Nov with his family. He will be driving from Bangalore

Which is the best route considering the road conditions and traffic ?
Old 23rd October 2019, 10:00   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
My friend intends to visit Velankanni on 1st Nov with his family. He will be driving from Bangalore

Which is the best route considering the road conditions and traffic ?
I did the trip in Feb-March and went via Mannargudi and Thiruthuraipoondi since I wanted to escape the 4 laning between Thanjavur and Nagapattinam. The roads were good back then.

Few months ago, a friend had gone via Thanjavur and Thiruvarur and he mentioned the roads are not that great because of 4 laning.

From Blore, BLR - Salem -Namakkal - Musiri- Trichy bypass.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 10:03   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did the trip in Feb-March and went via Mannargudi and Thiruthuraipoondi since I wanted to escape the 4 laning between Thanjavur and Nagapattinam. The roads were good back then.

Few months ago, a friend had gone via Thanjavur and Thiruvarur and he mentioned the roads are not that great because of 4 laning.

From Blore, BLR - Salem -Namakkal - Musiri- Trichy bypass.
Google maps suggest via Salem, Vriddhachalam by pass, Jayamkondan, Kumbakonam by pass, Nachiyar Koil, Thiruvarur and Nagapattinam to Velankanni.
Should I ask my friend to stick to the above route as suggested by Google Maps ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks