Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2023, 20:06   #331
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But you can try Trichy-Tanjore-Mannargudi-Thiruthuraipoondi-Velankani. It's about 40-50km more but I am guessing it may a cleaner route.
I took this route 2 years back and no complaints. But got struck in some political rally and traffic in Mannargudi.

Was hoping there is some improvements in the regular Tanjore - Thiruvarur route now after all these years.
Old 28th October 2023, 21:00   #332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Was hoping there is some improvements in the regular Tanjore - Thiruvarur route now after all these years.
My only concern with that section are those 3 railway crossing at Nedamangalam and the narrow roads around that region. Not sure if that situation has ever changed. Also there was a long bypass for Nedamangalam which is on the works. But dont know when it would get completed.
Old 28th October 2023, 21:38   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
I took this route 2 years back and no complaints. But got struck in some political rally and traffic in Mannargudi.

This is the best option when it comes to good roads and less road works.
When I went in February, there were culvert work happening between Tanjore and Mannargudi which should be finished by now.
Also when using this route, don't follow google map suggestion after Mannargudi and instead go via Thruthuraipoondi town. Refer my post #316.

Last edited by tharian : 28th October 2023 at 21:39.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 07:14   #334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
When I went in February, there were culvert work happening between Tanjore and Mannargudi which should be finished by now.
Also when using this route, don't follow google map suggestion after Mannargudi and instead go via Thruthuraipoondi town. Refer my post #316.
Very true. Google will either route through the Canal Road or the one via the temple at Thirukollikadu and then cut through the Thiruvarur-Thiruthuraipoondi highway and then again take interior roads. Even the road via Thirukollikadu had quite some construction on going then.

Like you mentioned even I won't suggest these interior roads.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 12:14   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Very true. Google will either route through the Canal Road or the one via the temple at Thirukollikadu and then cut through the Thiruvarur-Thiruthuraipoondi highway and then again take interior roads. Even the road via Thirukollikadu had quite some construction on going then.

Like you mentioned even I won't suggest these interior roads.
As of today, which is the fastest route from Bangalore to Velankanni?
Is it still Tanjore->Mannargudi->Thiruthuraipoondi->Velankanni even though it is 40+ kms more?
Gmaps doesnt show this option at all.
We are planning to start at 8am tomorrow(23-Feb) from Silkboard.

Also if someone can suggest the best route from Velankanni to Pondicherry, that would be great.
Old 22nd February 2024, 12:36   #336
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Oops. Missed your post and I did the detour along the narrow canal road 10.00 PM which was like watching a horror movie until I got back to the East West rroad closer to Velankanni. All thanks to the Google Map
Old 22nd February 2024, 14:04   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit_dennis View Post
Is it still Tanjore->Mannargudi->Thiruthuraipoondi->Velankanni even though it is 40+ kms more?
Gmaps doesnt show this option at all.
We are planning to start at 8am tomorrow(23-Feb) from Silkboard.

Also if someone can suggest the best route from Velankanni to Pondicherry, that would be great.
I haven't gone in a year to Velankanni and will be going soon though and I'll most probably take the route you stated. I don't think the route from Thanjavur straight to Nagapattinam via Thiruvarur is complete yet.

Velankanni to Pondy is via ECR which is being widened nearing Chidambaram. Not sure how good other routes are.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 18:04   #338
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is the best option in my opinion. All other routes are broken.

Tanjore-Mannargudi is superb 2-lane. Dont know the status beyond, I can only guess it would be good.

An early start, say by 4AM means you can be in Trichy 10 and should be in Velankanni by late lunch.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 20:50   #339
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Dindigul to Tanjavur to Mannargudi are all.excellent. The surface is in shambles within Mannargudi town, very briefly though. Please take the regular HW to
Thiruthuraipoond and then to Velankanni instead of what the GMap suggests. I did this stretch a couple of days ago.
M35 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 11:27   #340
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi, all. I am planning to drive from Chennai to Velankanni with my family. Can you suggest a reliable self-drive car rental and also the ideal route, along with stopover options for lunch.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 12th March 2024 at 11:34. Reason: Post formatting
familyman555 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th March 2024, 14:20   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyman555 View Post
Hi, all. I am planning to drive from Chennai to Velankanni with my family. Can you suggest a reliable self-drive car rental and also the ideal route, along with stopover options for lunch.
This is the usual route - Madras -> ECR - Pondicherry -> Cuddalore - Sirkazhi -> Karaikal -> Velankanni. Roughly it translates to a distance of about 300 km. But be aware that after you cross Pondi, there are dozens of road work going on which slow you down painfully. What was barely a 4.5 hour drive a few years ago now take about 6 hours.

You can have lunch at Hotel Devi on the way to Cuddalore - decent Hotel with a good choice of menu (almost rare in this part) with meat dishes and plenty of space for parking your car.

Years ago, it used to be a place with plenty of trees, but now all the trees have been cut down.

You will find it difficult to park your car near the main Basilica. Most usually park the car at the hotel and take an auto to the Church. The autos, fleece you of course. They charged me Rs.100 /- for a distance of 1 km.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks