Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2017, 20:03   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Kerala : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTp0wer View Post
Advice heartily solicited if any modifications should be made!
Day 4,5: Kumarakom, Alapuzha are similar backwater destinations. You can use that day either at Munnar or after Kovalam.

Day 9, You dont need to go via Madurai. Unless ofcourse its one of your points of visit.

You can do Kanyakumari-Tirunelveli-Tuticorin-ECR-Ramnad-Rameswaram.

With the time available, you can probably leave Kovalam early go around Kanyakumari and drive to Ramewaram. Visiting Madurai too on the way is impossible.

Next day: Rameswaram temple is a half a day exercise, if you are planning on bathing the 22 wells. I don't think you'll be able to drive to Bangalore following it. Looks ambitious to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Kochi - Trivandrum - Kanyakumari - Madurai - Rameshwaram is around 720 Kms
I think he wrote Kochi by mistake. His previous night's destination is Kovalam.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 10:47   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Day 4,5: Kumarakom, Alapuzha are similar backwater destinations. You can use that day either at Munnar or after Kovalam.
How about I utilize that day to check out Thekkady? Is it worth spending a day?

Quote:
Day 9, You dont need to go via Madurai. Unless ofcourse its one of your points of visit.
Understood.

Quote:
You can do Kanyakumari-Tirunelveli-Tuticorin-ECR-Ramnad-Rameswaram.

With the time available, you can probably leave Kovalam early go around Kanyakumari and drive to Ramewaram. Visiting Madurai too on the way is impossible.
That sounds like a much better plan, and leisurely rather than hectic. Will do this!

Quote:
I think he wrote Kochi by mistake. His previous night's destination is Kovalam.
You're right, mistakenly had written Kochi instead of Kovalam. Thank you for correcting.

Thank you sir, for all your inputs
Old 30th October 2017, 12:20   #153
BHPian

Thekkady is worth spending a day. Try to stay inside the forest, preferably in KTDC Aranya Nivas, which allows you to explore the forest and go for boating in the lake. I have spent a weekend in the nearby KTDC Periyar House, but the rooms are small and I found Aranya Nivas a better option. Bookings can be made online on the KTDC website. Another interesting place to stay in the Kumarakom region is Thaneermukham between Chertalla and Kumarakom. It has a beautiful view of the lake and KTDC has a wonderful hotel on the banks of the lake. I thoroughly enjoyed the stay there and it is much more inexpensive than staying in Kumarakom.
SajiNSalin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 14:12   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTp0wer View Post
How about I utilize that day to check out Thekkady?
You barely have a day and change in Munnar. That's too short IMO. Munnar is just a base point, the places to see require quite some driving. The Top Station circuit alone(72 km round trip) requires half to one day ex-Munnar town. The further your place of stay is, the more distance you add. 2.5 days would be ideal.

I'd suggest you do cut out Rameswaram from this trip and replan it for a separate TN trip.

You can intend this trip for Bombay-Munnar-Thekkady-Alapuzha/Kumarakom-Kovalam-Kanyakumari-Bombay
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 16:57   #155
BHPian

Bumping this thread up.

I'm planning to drive to Kochi from Mumbai next week. Google maps shows Mumbai - Pune - Kohlapur - Hubbali - Tumkur - Krishnagiri - Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Kochi as the best route. 1523km in 24 hours, at an average speed of 64 KMPH. I know for a fact that the roads are good in this route.

I was also evaluating the Mumbai - Pune - Kohlapur - Hubbali - Gokarna - Mangalore - Kannur - Kozhikode - Kochi route. Google puts this at 1423 km in 27 hours at an average speed of 49 KMPH. Does anybody know how good/bad/ugly the roads in the Hubbali - Mangalore - Kannur - Kozhikode - Kochi route are now?

Has anyone gone this way recently?

Last edited by krishnadevjs : 19th April 2018 at 17:17.
Old 20th April 2018, 12:56   #156
BHPian

It is best to stick to the Pune-Kohlapur-Coimbatore-Palakkad route, as it is faster and with minimum drive in Kerala. It will take you a minimum of two days to reach Kochi from Mumbai. On day 1 Mumbai to Bangalore and day 2 for Bangalore to Kochi.

24 hours is very optimistic, it will be more like 30 hours even if you drive non-stop.

The second option through Mangalore should be avoided at all costs as it is downright dangerous with narrow roads, very high density of vehicles and sheer suicidal private bus drivers who will do their best to drive you off the road; extremely stressful driving.
Old 20th April 2018, 13:49   #157
BHPian

Had done Kodungalloor(my home town) to Mumbai(Malad) 3 and a half years back in 22 hours with 3-4 halts.
So it's completely doable but you will be way too tired once you reach the destination.
Stick to Bangalore-Coimbatore-Palakkad route. It's a better route.
Old 20th April 2018, 15:54   #158
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnadevjs View Post
Bumping this thread up.

Has anyone gone this way recently?
I had done Mumbai - Kerala (Thrissur / Aluva) - Mumbai last May. Below are the details and hope it can help you plan your journey. I haven't done the Hubballi-Mangalore route though.

The onward journey was Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Bangalore - Salem - Thrissur.
Day 1 - Mumbai to Bangalore
We started at sharp 4:30 am from Mumbai (Mulund), lunch break was at Belgaum (Hotel Sankam Residency). We reached there at around noon after almost 30 minutes break for breakfast after Pune. Had a longish lunch break and then headed towards Bangalore. We stayed at a hotel in Attibele after Electronics City and reached there by 9:30 pm, which included around 30 minutes break for tea and snacks and another 30 minutes for an official call.
Day 2 - Bangalore to Thrissur
Next morning we left at around 7 am, had a breakfast stop for 30-45 minutes. Broke for a longish lunch after Walayar check post at The Rice Bowl restaurant. Reached Thrissur by 3:30 pm and entire Kerala stretch was done under 100kmph.

So the jouney took 25.5 hours with liberal stops for lunch, breakfast, tea, refuelling and bio-breaks.

Had to do the coastal route so return journey was North Parur - Kozhikode - Mangalore - Goa - Chiplun - Mumbai.

Day 1 - North Parur to Mangalore
Started at 6:30 am and it takes up an entire day of drive, you can definitely go past Mangalore maybe till Udipi since we took almost a 2 hour stop in Kozhikode for lunch and some shopping.
Day 2 - Mangalore to Kudal
Again you can go futher north of Kudal as we took a small detour in Panjim of just over 1 hour. Breakfast was in Udipi, lunch at Karwar (Swetha Lunch home). Reached Kudal before sunset.
Day 3 - Kudal to Mumbai (joined express way at Khalapur Toll)
Started around 7 am. Took breakfast at a nondescript place and broke for lunch at Chiplun (Hotel Abhishek). Reached home by 8 pm. Took around 1.5 hours post Panvel due to heavy traffic.

Which was more fun? Return journey of-course if you exclude the maddening traffic till Mangalore.

Last edited by Lij : 20th April 2018 at 15:55.
Lij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 22:28   #159
BHPian

Thanks guys. Guess I'll stick to the Mumbai - Pune - Bangalore - Salem -Palakkad - Kochi route.
Starting tomorrow morning.
Old 28th April 2018, 07:15   #160
Senior - BHPian

I drove to my hometown Palakkad from Pune last year during Christmas. Plan was to start from Pune on Friday early morning and reach electronic City by evening and resume the next day. It was later early on Thursday, some of the friendly Bhpians that brought me into senses that since being Christmas weekend, the whole of Bangalore would be driving out and It would be challenging to clear the toll booths (especially Krishnagiri toll Booth). Had to rapidly change plans and we left Thursday evening. Here's what we did-

Pune- Kolhapur (night halt)- Salem (Night halt)- Palakkad

We left Kolhapur quite early in the morning (5:00 am) and had lunch post Krishnagiri Toll. We did stop at CCD (1 hour before reaching Bangalore) for a quick coffee and power nap.
To those who are planning to do the Bangalore- Coimbatore stretch during festive seasons or extended weekends, please be prepared.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 13:38   #161
BHPian

So, 3 days and 1800km later, I've reached Thiruvananthapuram.

Day 1 started from.Vikhroli at 4AM. We did Mumbai - Pune - Kohlapur - Hubbali - Tumkur route. Encountered heavy traffic on the ghat section of Mumbai Pune expressway. Lost almost 45 to 50 minutes traversing that section. The rest of the journey was pretty good, except the toll collection points where there was a good rush. Fast Tag didn't help throughout Maharashtra as even non fast tag vehicles were allowed in those gates. However, things got better as we moved to Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala.

There was a significant reduction in traffic as we crossed the Goa turning right after Belgaum. The rest of the drive was silky smooth
While the initial plan was to halt at Tumkur, we made good time and reached there in just 12.5 hours and i was not at all tired. My dad felt we could extend a bit and get to Bangalore, a very bad move, with the advantage of hindsight. Bangalore traffic was crazy and we lost 2 hours getting to our guest house. Overall, 14.5 hours of travel (12.5 hours of driving time), 999 kms and an average FE of 14.5 kmpl with an average speed of 80 kmph.

Day 2 too went off to an early start. 4:15 AM saw us leaving Bangalore, off to our next stop at my wife's place in Kochi. The IT Expressway was a dream to drive on at 4 am. With no traffic at all, we quickly crossed over to Tamil Nadu. Made good time as roads were fairly wide and traffic was very less. Krishnagiri, Salem and Coimbatore came very fast as we quickly covered the miles. Except the odd right lane hugging truck driver, there were no major hindrances as we crossed over to Kerala through the very famous Walayar checkpost by 9am.

Driving in Kerala was, as expected tougher, owing to the umpteen traffic signals on the highway and two wheelers who drive only on the middle of the road. Things got better as we crossed Thrissur and got on to the Kochi highway. The fastag came to use here, as other lanes were clogged and we just quickly breezed through. By 12, we had reached my wife's house in Ernakulam. A sumptuous lunch and glorious sleep followed. 550km, 7.5 driving hours and 14.9 kmpl. The Octy deserved a reward for such wonderful figures and we gave her one in the form of a nice good car wash.

2PM on Day 3 saw us start on the most excruciating leg of our trip - the 220km between Kochi and Trivandrum. Speeds were not more than 25 to 30 kmph, as the roads were clogged. It took us 7 hours including an hour of stoppage time at my father's house in Quilon. By 8PM, we were back safe and secure at Home Sweet Home. A total of 1770kms with 26 hours driving time from end to end.

We will be driving back in another 2 to 3 months time.
krishnadevjs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2019, 17:26   #162
BHPian

How's the situation regarding driving a friend's Maharashtra reg car from Mumbai to Munnar and around?
Will Karnataka, Tamilnadu, Kerla police cause problems?
I have the power of attorney of the particular car.
Old 24th February 2019, 16:16   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
How's the situation regarding driving a friend's Maharashtra reg car from Mumbai to Munnar and around?

As long as you have all the documents, it should be fine I think. Insurance, Pollution certificate, License and RTO card/power of attorney.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 23:47   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
Well, I had my MH registered Octavia in KL for a good 3 months, with me hopping back and forth every weekend. So, I'm guessing it should not be an issue at all.

If at all they stop you, just show the toll receipts and tell them you've been there less than 6 months.
krishnadevjs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 14:30   #165
BHPian

Hey guys,
Planning on leaving for Kodungallur, Thrissur from Mumbai on Saturday 16th January. I am confused regarding the route to take. Google maps shows me 2 routes. One is via Mangalore-Kasargod-Kozhikode-Guruvayur-Kodungallur and the other route is Tumkur-Kollegal-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Kodungallur. Which one would you guys prefer?
I would prefer sticking to 4 lane highways as much as possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks