Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2017, 15:51   #136
BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Kerala : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
In this route, work is going on in some parts between Ankola and Kundapura and going was fairly slow. However, as usual the travel between Mangalore to Calicut took more than 7 hours (with just one halt of 15 minutes)...
You did it non stop or with an overnight break?

I too need to go down south to Thalassery next month. Is it advisable to take the Mysore route? Advisable for sedans?
Old 10th May 2017, 21:31   #137
BHPian

Thanks for all the input. Unfortunately I can't start early on 13th as i arrive by late night flight from Singapore. For that reason, i have kept options of taking break at three locations based on time I can catch up. Bangalore I believe I can make in good time even if I start as late as 12 pm and in that case halt will be at my cousin's place. If I can do better than that, then Tumkur becomes my second option. Unfortunately I am still to zero in on a good hotel in Tumkur. If all works well, then Davangere becomes my third option. I have selected Apoorva resorts here based on various review. More than budget, safety is the criteria especially when travelling with family. Barring delay in tolls I hope to make good speed. Doing Davangere to Mumbai in a day should be ok as i intend to start early on my second day. Any other suggestions are most welcome as this would be my longest drive by far compared to my previous trips like Thrissur to Chennai. Once again thanks to all.
Old 10th May 2017, 23:24   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaryskodamenon View Post
Unfortunately I am still to zero in on a good hotel in Tumkur.
Naveen Residency at Tumkur should work for you. Bang on the highway. Have stayed there earlier. Not great in terms of food et al but serves the purpose.
Old 11th May 2017, 04:20   #139
BHPian

Thanks a lot. Checked out Naveen regency as per your suggestion and it seems to a good option. Will be doing a general check up of the car today. Hope i am set for the travel. The only thing bothering me now is the car itself. Earlier I had Honda City automatic. If the same trip taken in that City, I would have been least worried. Now with a Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI, i am bit worried. Even though car is less than one year old, with less than 10000 KM in ODO and is definitely much more joy to drive , it doesnt inspire same confidence as City in terms of reliability. Hope all stays good. Will keep you guys updated.
Old 11th May 2017, 07:08   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot. Checked out Naveen regency as per your suggestion and it seems to a good option. Will be doing a general check up of the car today. Hope i am set for the travel. The only thing bothering me now is the car itself. Earlier I had Honda City automatic. If the same trip taken in that City, I would have been least worried. Now with a Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI, i am bit worried. Even though car is less than one year old, with less than 10000 KM in ODO and is definitely much more joy to drive , it doesnt inspire same confidence as City in terms of reliability. Hope all stays good. Will keep you guys updated.
Your timings would more or less be like this:

TCR-Palakkad 1.5hrs
Palakkad-End of L&T BP:1hr
L&T End-Salem Toll:2.5hrs
Salem-Ecity:3hrs
ECity-Tumkur-1.5-2hrs

My suggestion would be to stay somewhere in Electronics City in case your cousin isn't at Electronics City.Keys is a very good option.

Tumkur-Kolhapur would take you around 10hours

Kolhapur-Pune(start of MPEW) will take you 3hrs

Pune start of MPEW-Panvel will take you 2hrs minimum

From Panvel if your final destination is in the Western suburbs budget for another 2hrs minimum in peak traffic

To avoid late entry into Mumbai,you can consider staying at Pune on the bypass itself,many stay options available.Kolhapur too many options available.Rasika Renaissance is a new one and good as well

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 11th May 2017 at 07:23.
Old 11th May 2017, 10:42   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
You did it non stop or with an overnight break?

I too need to go down south to Thalassery next month. Is it advisable to take the Mysore route? Advisable for sedans?
Overnight stay at Mangalore.

I have done the Calicut - Kalpetta - Sultan Batheri - Gundlupet - Nanjangud - Mysore - Mandya - Kunigal - Tumkur (so as to avoid Bangalore) - Davengere - Pune route (only the ghat between Thamaraserry and Kalpetta is a bit tricky - but, hey, even Volvos do the trip now! They take a two / three point turn, btw. The road condition is much better now - all the hairpin bends are well paved, and there were no pot holes or ditches (atleast as of Feb) and traffic isn't heavy. Night driving is not advised, if you are not familiar with the road. Of late, I am seeing increase in the number of two wheelers on the road, and nobody bothers to honk....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Not sure if this can be done in 3 hours - it is about 200+ kms and between Satara & Pune there is work going on at several places. And, during day time there will be plenty of traffic on the road. More like 4 hours to reach Dehu Road (Pune end of expressway) from Kavla Naka (entry point to Kohlapur).
Old 11th May 2017, 13:13   #142
BHPian

Quote:
The road surface on this stretch is not all that great, esp when compared to the Hubli - KA/MH border stretch. It is generally a two laned road of which the left lane is mostly occupied by slow crawling trucks whereas the right lane is flooded with never ending ocean of two wheelers loaded with 3, 4 or even 5 riders. The combined effect of these elements would eventually bring down your travel speed drastically. Traversing Pune (bypass on NH-4) itself would consume 1 hour.

Quote:

Pune start of MPEW-Panvel will take you 2hrs minimum
Under normal conditions i.e., sticking to the speed limit of 80KMPH, one should cover this stretch by 2.5 - 3.0 Hrs., especially given the twisty ghat stretches at Khandala, Lonavala and quite a few tunnels mid way.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 11th May 2017 at 13:18.
Old 11th May 2017, 18:08   #143
BHPian

From the information shared, it seems like, I should aim for reaching Davangere on my first day rather than Tumkur. Or else it would leave me with almost 16 to 17 hours of journey on my second day to cover. Once I cross Thrissur - wadakancherry stretch, if there is no surprise, i should comfortably do good speed till I reach Bangalore as i am familiar with the road and traffic is not much barring some sections in Coimbatore and Salem. After Bangalore it is basically untested territory for me and it might slow me down a bit especially making sure that i am taking correct route. Of course Google maps will be relied upon, but in quest for shortest distance it might suggest not so good roads in some instances especially in the city limits where actually a bypass may be present. My final destination is Chembur. Based on all the inputs , i would try to start as early as possible on first day so as to reach Davangere. Will make a time sheet for major sections and will update once i complete the trip. Thank you all for all the inputs.
Old 11th May 2017, 21:22   #144
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Once I cross Thrissur - wadakancherry stretch, if there is no surprise, i should comfortably do good speed till I reach Bangalore as i am familiar with the road and traffic is not much barring some sections in Coimbatore and Salem.
Back to the oft repeated (and confusing) thing - Wadakkanchery (the one with the Railway station) is on the Thrissur-Alathur/Palakkad route state highways and Vadakkenchery is the one on NH47/544 which I think is what you have decided to take.
This is a straight route from Thrissur bypass via Kuthiran where there are work in progress sections up until you reach Vadakkanchery. From there to Palkkad bypass and Walayar is completed 4 lane section;has a few signals though. Coimbatore (L&T) bypass may be painful depending on the time and it's an undivided 2 lane section.

Quote:
After Bangalore it is basically untested territory for me and it might slow me down a bit especially making sure that i am taking correct route.
When you enter Bangalore, just after the Hosur town you get the Attibele toll plaza. Once past this toll, keep straight for about 10-12Km and you will see a signal and the elevated road entry to the left with a toll plaza - Do not take this, will lead you into the labryinth of Bangalore city which you don't want to venture into!

Keep to the right lanes that go below the elevated road and about 2-3 Km later you will need to take the NICE Road entry ramp from the service lane, pay the toll for Tumkur Road exit and exit there - this way you bypass Bangalore neatly onto the Tumkur road which is the Pune/Mumbai highway.

Last edited by NPV : 11th May 2017 at 21:25.
Old 11th May 2017, 21:36   #145
BHPian

Many thanks for the information. Yes you are right. I meant Vadakancherry, the one in NH 47. Noted your advice regarding the NICE road entry and already send it to my whatsapp to refer in case of any doubt. Greatly appreciate the help.
Old 13th May 2017, 21:23   #146
BHPian

Day 1 completed. Started from Thrissur, Kerala at 0840 AM. Reached Davangere, Karnataka at 740 PM. Total distance covered 742 KM. Total time taken 10 hours 52 mins including two breaks of 30 mins each and one stop over for filling up Petrol. Mileage 12.2 KM/Ltr. Average speed 70 KMPH. As expected encountered some amount of traffic at L&T road and at Salem. Hosur to Tumkur was bad as well. Roads are in excellent condition especially Tumkur to Davangere. Was happy to pay tolls other than the NICE road one. 155 Rs for a much shorter distance felt like rip off. Checked into Apoorva resorts. Very decent place. Better than expected. Food is average but otherwise hotel is good. Drive felt fantastic and refreshing. Now for second day, intend to start early.. how early, we will see tomorrow...
Scaryskodamenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2017, 21:07   #147
BHPian

Day 2. Started from Davangere at 0640 am and reached Chembur by 540 pm. Average speed 75 KMPH. Fuel economy 13.0 KMPL. Apart from heavy traffic at Pune and entrance to Mumbai drive was pretty smooth. Total time include two breaks of 40 min each. Will be starting back to kerala on 31st . Thanks to all for all the information.
Scaryskodamenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 22:18   #148

I am planning to explore kerala from pune in Diwali. Can any one guide what route I should take and which places should I visit. I have 8 to 10 days in my hand
Old 27th October 2017, 16:21   #149
BHPian

After having continually put Kerala in the backseat since a lot of years, I am going to give God's own country complete attention this December.

Being an enthusiast, I have done many road trips in central, western, and northern India with a 9 day Ahmedabad-Leh-Ahmedabad trip as well. At the expense of sounding haughty, I am putting this point across to invalidate rightful concerns of viability of the some of the driving distances or times that I mention below.

Gist: Planning to do a Mumbai - Kerala - Kanyakumari - Rameswaram - Bangalore - Mumbai in 9 days, with an additional buffer day for unforeseen circumstances. Details are attached in the attached image.

PS: I may go to Pune before the first day of the trip to shave off time from Day 1.

BHPians who have taken trips here, kindly advise if the stops / destinations and routes are the best of the lot.

Advice heartily solicited if any modifications should be made!
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai to Kerala : Route Queries-south-trip.png  

Mumbai to Kerala : Route Queries-south-trip-maps.png  

GTp0wer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 16:46   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTp0wer View Post
Advice heartily solicited if any modifications should be made!
Kochi - Trivandrum - Kanyakumari - Madurai - Rameshwaram is around 720 Kms and not 370 Kms as mentioned by you. And its not possible to do this route in one day unless you are just driving through these places.

My suggestion would be,

Kochi(early start around 4AM) -Trivandum - Kanyakumari (Stay in Kanyakumari)
Kanyakumari - Madurai - Rameshwaram. (Stay in Rameshwaram)

Last edited by arun_josie : 27th October 2017 at 16:47.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed