Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2008, 19:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Kolkata -> Varanasi?

Hi Folks
It's been some time I posted anything here. But better late than never.

I am planning to go to Varanasi from Kolkata in the first week of April. My wife, my four and a half year old daughter, my Esteem and me. Do you have any tips for me? Someone who has done this trip recently told me, about 400/450 km of the total 680km stretch is now 4-laned. About 80km is really bad. Rest is okayish.

He suggested that instead of trying to complete the stretch in a day I go to Bodhgaya first. Spend the night there and start next day.
I would like to know if there are places along the way where we could spend a night in an emergency.

Regards
Sudipto
Old 6th February 2008, 21:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

That 80 km is in Bihar/Jharkhand Right?
Old 6th February 2008, 23:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Last time I drove this stretch was way back in 2004. Did it in a day (in a N/A Sumo). Its obviously much easier now.
Old 7th February 2008, 00:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Did it in a day (in a N/A Sumo).
Kya Jodi hai! Made for each other!
Old 9th February 2008, 16:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

By April hopefully that 80km bad stretch would be rectified.. On a personal note 680 km is doable in a day if you leave early in the morning..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Hi Folks
It's been some time I posted anything here. But better late than never.

I am planning to go to Varanasi from Kolkata in the first week of April. My wife, my four and a half year old daughter, my Esteem and me. Do you have any tips for me? Someone who has done this trip recently told me, about 400/450 km of the total 680km stretch is now 4-laned. About 80km is really bad. Rest is okayish.

Regards
Sudipto
Old 13th February 2008, 14:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
That 80 km is in Bihar/Jharkhand Right?
Dear 1100D,

I think you are highly mistaken. Have you ever driven in that area, I think NO !! I suggest taking a Road trip out in that part of India to get a true picture.

Dear Sudipto,

The distance is quite doable in one day, 90 % roads are floating smooth as this part of GQ is quite complete. 5 % are being done and these are the road intersections and few small bridge work. So here you have to be slow, but can't say its bad at all. rest 5 % , you have to bear the state crossing checkposts one at Chandauli and other i dont remember correctly. Here you have to make your mind to be long queue of trucks for quite long.

You wil only find trucks and Trailers on the roads, nothing else. With my exp I can say, it wil be a great drive.

If you wanted to go to Bodh Gaya, ---> Pass Dumri --> Bgodhar ---> Barakatta --> Barhi (All on GQ). From Barhi --> Take a prominent right turn which take you thru Koderma Ghati - --> Gaya ---- Then Finally Patna.

From Barhi to Gaya, its a velvetty smooth road as it comes in Buddisth Tourism Circuit. But keem in mind that dotn cross the Koderama Ghati in Night as there absolutley nothing in route from the time you enter the ghats and you exits, and which is more than 1.5 hrs drive.

Have a nice trip buddy.
Old 6th October 2018, 20:01   #7
BHPian

Re: Kolkata -> Varanasi?

Bumping up old thread.
I have a road travel coming from Dhanbad to Varanasi and Lucknow.
Last year in October 17 when I had traveled, there were many patches under going repair, Bridges under construction before Varanasi leading to multiple jams. If any one has traveled on this stretch recently, I would like to know what is present status of road till Varanasi
Old 7th October 2018, 01:47   #8
BHPian

Re: Kolkata -> Varanasi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
I would like to know what is present status of road till Varanasi
Hi,

Not aware about Varanasi > Lucknow sector.

For Dhanbad > Varanasi:

You can expect good amount of potoles in Jharkhand sector, which is mainly due to Monsoon season. May be repair work started by now.

From Dehri-On-Son to Handia: full of diversions, but they are less in numbers compared to last year.

FYI: After approx 90 km from Varanasi, Handia is the place from where Allahabad By-Pass starts.

Do search on below thread to get an over-all picture:-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...detail-35.html (Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail)

For any particular information, do send a PM to SS-Traveller, he is the veteran of this route.

Cheers,
Sail
Sail is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed