Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2008, 00:19   #16
BHPian

I wend to Mount Abu in December. It is very quite and good place.You can live at Hotel hilltone this is a good hotel, but I found that When you enter Mount Abu, You can have paying guest accomodation and is very good and better than hotels. Around 300-500 per room. Mount Abu takes only 1/2 day for sight seeing.But route from Mount abu to Udaipur is not good. You have to leave Mount abu by 2pm as there is some road construction work going on to udaipur highway and there is some security issues on highway. Pls take help from some local taxi driver/hotel staff about route info and when to leave. You can book Hotel Kajri in advance and it is very good hotel. Take Tourist guide from hotel(Rs 200) and you can visit all the places in Udaipur by evening. I would say better not to go to Pushkar and Ajmer , it is just waste of time and nothing much to see.
Old 23rd February 2008, 18:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thanks abbey4u & phamilyman !!!

I know that Mt. Abu is a favourite with Gujaratis as Alcohol is banned in Gujarat.

@mandyrana - GD bhai also recommended Kajri Hotel. Will give it a try. Cheers !!!
Old 23rd February 2008, 20:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't agree to this. If you are looking at these two places with a tourists' point of view, then may be you are right.

Both, these places, have a deep religious impact on millions of people. Dargah Sharif at Ajmer is a wonderful confluence of people from all religion, caste & creed. and so is Pushkar.

These are my personal views and have no religious connotations..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
I would say better not to go to Pushkar and Ajmer , it is just waste of time and nothing much to see.
Old 23rd February 2008, 21:12   #19
DKG
Senior - BHPian

In November 2005 I travelled through 17 cities in Rajasthan and the following stand out in memory as the jewels:

Jaipur
Jaisalmer
Jodhpur
Udaipur (include Chittorgarh)
Shekhawati (esp Mandawa, Nawalgarh)

Ranakpur(I missed this but its spectacular from pics), the palace at Deeg near Bharatpur and the sanctuary, and the Pushkar lake are worth visiting if you have the time

Check out some pictures at Zorpia: Deepak's Homepage
Old 23rd February 2008, 21:52   #20

Just my bit..
All the distances are are quite achievable. If this would have been me, I would have tried to hop to next destination after sight seeing plans. If you can conclude sightseeing (If no plan other than Ummed Bhawan Palace & Mehrangarh fort) in Jodhpur by 3:00 PM, you can easily reach Mount Abu by 9:00 PM on same day. Good roads all through.

I won't advise you to drive after 6:30 PM between Mount Abu & Udaipur as the stretch between Shirohi and Udaipur is quite notorious for lootmar.

So, You can leave Mt Abu early morning and try to do Ranakpur Temple & Haldi Ghati on your way to Udaipur. Try to do some sightseeing in Udaipur during evening session.

Leave Udaipur next day evening after sight seeing and stay at Chittorgarh ..excellent road of GQ...Quite safe for even late night driving.

Visit Chittorgarh fort if you wish or head straight to Ajmer & Pushkar next morning. It will take about two hours to reach Ajmer from Chittorgarh. So by 3:00 PM you can leave for Agra after concluding Pushkar.

And yes, with this plan you would still have a day in your hand, so take your time to do Chittorgarh-Ajmer -Pushakar & hop to Jaipur. Next day afternoon you can leave for Agra.
Old 24th February 2008, 00:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj1126 View Post
conclude sightseeing (If no plan other than Ummed Bhawan Palace & Mehrangarh fort) in Jodhpur by 3:00 PM, you can easily reach Mount Abu by 9:00 PM on same day. Good roads all through.

I won't advise you to drive after 6:30 PM between Mount Abu & Udaipur
Agree to all the above. Have reached abu road at like 2am, starting at 9pm from jodhpur city proper. Solo on bike Just be ultra careful of the ghat section at sirohi and stupidly overtaking trucks (undivieded as of apr 07).

Back then, ranakpur-udaipur (+10km) was under maddening construction lotsa dust, and very very desolate area - definitely only worth it in pure day (plan to stop by 3, with safety margin!) post Sanderao when you hit the Nh14 to Jodhpur, you can rock on anytime at night. I was uber safe solo (headlight had come loose, barely taped up, still did 80+ easily) but lotssss trucks
Old 10th March 2008, 16:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guy's - Latest updates regarding my trip

I am going to Jodhpur & Udaipur ( 3 Nights each place ). Have dropped the idea of Mt Abu for now as it was quite far ( extra driving of 600 kms ). Also I was unable to get a good hotel deal.

I have taken all the sightseeing ideas from you guys and from the following websites. Anyone going anywhere should refer to these 4 sites. It's a must -

Jodhpur travel guide - Wikitravel

Udaipur travel guide - Wikitravel

RealTravel - Travel Guide | Travel Reviews | Trip Planner

India Travel Blogs, Photos, Accommodation, Reviews, Forum

The above sites have unbeleivable amounts of Information. Realtravel & travelblog is like amazing. Very similar to T-bhp. Gets you hooked on for life.

Thanks again for all the inputs guys. Any more are welcome.

Watch this space for all the trip reports, pics and other experiences. Cheers !!!
Old 10th March 2008, 17:21   #23
BHPian

Mapmyindia: for driving directions

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
It's that time of the year again that I have a full week's holiday ( Holi ).

Last year me and the wifey drove from Agra - Delhi - Chandigarh - Manali - Rohtang and back. Total 5 Days ( 3 Days In Manali ). Was a memorable trip.

This year we are 4 people ( 2 couples ) and a Ford Fiesta Diesel ( Friend's car ). We were planning to hit Punjab but decided against it. We thought of Goa but the prices of 5* hotels there now is just exorbitant !!

We then thought of going to Rajasthan as it was nearby and we had never been there ever !!

Here is our plan -

Day 1 - Agra - Jaipur - Jodhpur ( Same day driving ) Stay in Jodhpur the night

Day 2 - Jodhpur Sightseeing

Day 3 - Jodpur - Mount Abu ( Stay in Mount Abu ) with stay.

Day 4 - Mount Abu Sightseeing with stay

Day 5 - Mount Abu - Udaipur ( Stay in Udaipur )

Day 6 - Udaipur Sightseeing with stay.

Day 7 - Udaipur - Jaipur - Agra ( Same day driving )

I calculated the total distance which would be travelled during this whole trip and it comes to about 2000 Kms with 400 kms kept only for sightseeing. Also we may want to include Ajmer & Pushkar for a few hrs if on the way. I am yet to take out a complete driving map.

So that makes it nearly 2 days in all the places. Gives us just about enough time to sight see and know these places.

Hotels that I have shortlisted are -

Jodhpur - Ratanvilas Ratan Vilas
Mount Abu - Hotel Hilltone Hotels In Mount Abu Rajasthan –Hotel Hilltone Mount Abu.
Udaipur - Mewar Haweli Mewar Haveli - A Traditional Hotel located in Udaipur

Any suggestions from you experts is most welcome. Anything else you want us to include in our itinery. I was reading a few other posts and saw some good advises given by Sumanji and GD Bhai. Let me know guy's.

We will be carrying our usual stock of Imported Water ( Read - Jack Daniels & Absolut !!! )

Cheers !!! Awaiting replies now !!!
For driving directions use:

MapmyIndia.com Online maps, GPS Navigation, Driving Directions, Local Search
Old 10th March 2008, 18:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thanks wanderlust - mapmyindia was helpful. I just took printouts for driving directions.

Cheers !!!
Old 10th March 2008, 20:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks wanderlust - mapmyindia was helpful. I just took printouts for driving directions.

Cheers !!!
but where is the pics and trip report,you lazy bones
Old 11th March 2008, 08:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Sunny Bhai !! You do not read carefully, My trip is in another 9 days. I go on Holi

Trip Reports & Pics wll be put immediately once I get back.
Old 11th March 2008, 16:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sunny Bhai !! You do not read carefully, My trip is in another 9 days. I go on Holi

Trip Reports & Pics wll be put immediately once I get back.

LOL,my bad kochar bhai

i somehow loose little bit of my concentration after cheers:

but now i'm sure you will post report after your trip
Old 27th March 2008, 20:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

Just back 2 hours back - WHAT A TRIP !!!!! Whew !!!

Will post loads of pics and a complete review by tommorrow.
Old 28th March 2008, 12:09   #29
BHPian

Welcome back mate. Looking forward to pictures and a travelogue. Good to hear that you are back safe and sound and perhaps enjoyed every bit of the trip as well
Old 28th March 2008, 12:49   #30
Team-BHP Support

Wecome back. Please post a detailed report with pics as soon as possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks