Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2008, 10:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rajasthan Road Trip - Advises Required

It's that time of the year again that I have a full week's holiday ( Holi ).

Last year me and the wifey drove from Agra - Delhi - Chandigarh - Manali - Rohtang and back. Total 5 Days ( 3 Days In Manali ). Was a memorable trip.

This year we are 4 people ( 2 couples ) and a Ford Fiesta Diesel ( Friend's car ). We were planning to hit Punjab but decided against it. We thought of Goa but the prices of 5* hotels there now is just exorbitant !!

We then thought of going to Rajasthan as it was nearby and we had never been there ever !!

Here is our plan -

Day 1 - Agra - Jaipur - Jodhpur ( Same day driving ) Stay in Jodhpur the night

Day 2 - Jodhpur Sightseeing

Day 3 - Jodpur - Mount Abu ( Stay in Mount Abu ) with stay.

Day 4 - Mount Abu Sightseeing with stay

Day 5 - Mount Abu - Udaipur ( Stay in Udaipur )

Day 6 - Udaipur Sightseeing with stay.

Day 7 - Udaipur - Jaipur - Agra ( Same day driving )

I calculated the total distance which would be travelled during this whole trip and it comes to about 2000 Kms with 400 kms kept only for sightseeing. Also we may want to include Ajmer & Pushkar for a few hrs if on the way. I am yet to take out a complete driving map.

So that makes it nearly 2 days in all the places. Gives us just about enough time to sight see and know these places.

Hotels that I have shortlisted are -

Jodhpur - Ratanvilas Ratan Vilas
Mount Abu - Hotel Hilltone Hotels In Mount Abu Rajasthan –Hotel Hilltone Mount Abu.
Udaipur - Mewar Haweli Mewar Haveli - A Traditional Hotel located in Udaipur

Any suggestions from you experts is most welcome. Anything else you want us to include in our itinery. I was reading a few other posts and saw some good advises given by Sumanji and GD Bhai. Let me know guy's.

We will be carrying our usual stock of Imported Water ( Read - Jack Daniels & Absolut !!! )

Cheers !!! Awaiting replies now !!!

Last edited by vkochar : 8th February 2008 at 10:57.
Old 8th February 2008, 11:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Kochar bhai, Ajmer & Pushkar are enroute to Jodhpur from Jaipur. Visiting Dargah Sharif and Pushkar should consume about 2+ hrs of your schedule. You can do this while returning as well.

I normally make it a practice to stay in RTDC hotels when I visit Rajasthan and they are pretty decent as well. The other added advantage is you can park your vehicle and take their conducted tours; thus you will save time and see all the places.

In Jodhpur you can try Hotel Ghoomar that is on High Court Road and in Udaipur Hotel Kajri. In Jodhpur visit the Mehrangarh fort, Chamunda temple, Jaswant Thada, Mandore gardens, Kailana lake, Riktiya Bhairon etc.

In udaipur the RTDC conducts 2 tours a day - the morning one starts at 8 am and is the city tour and the noon one starts at 2 pm and takes you to Haldighaati, Eklingji and Srinathji. It is doable in 1 day itself. I did so..as I stayed in Kajri:-)

Have never visited Abu hence can't say much about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
It's that time of the year again that I have a full week's holiday ( Holi ).

Last year me and the wifey drove from Agra - Delhi - Chandigarh - Manali - Rohtang and back. Total 5 Days ( 3 Days In Manali ). Was a memorable trip.

This year we are 4 people ( 2 couples ) and a Ford Fiesta Diesel ( Friend's car ). We were planning to hit Punjab but decided against it. We thought of Goa but the prices of 5* hotels there now is just exorbitant !!

We then thought of going to Rajasthan as it was nearby and we had never been there ever !!

Here is our plan -

I calculated the total distance which would be travelled during this whole trip and it comes to about 2000 Kms with 400 kms kept only for sightseeing. Also we may want to include Ajmer & Pushkar for a few hrs if on the way. I am yet to take out a complete driving map.

So that makes it nearly 2 days in all the places. Gives us just about enough time to sight see and know these places.

Mount Abu - Hotel Hilltone Hotels In Mount Abu Rajasthan –Hotel Hilltone Mount Abu.

Any suggestions from you experts is most welcome. Anything else you want us to include in our itinery. I was reading a few other posts and saw some good advises given by Sumanji and GD Bhai. Let me know guy's.

We will be carrying our usual stock of Imported Water ( Read - Jack Daniels & Absolut !!! )

Cheers !!! Awaiting replies now !!!
Old 8th February 2008, 12:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

My suggestions: SKIP ABU, except the dilwara part. Instead, do bikaner first, then jaisalmer, then jodhpur, then through abu, do udaipur

given the uber boring roads, i'd personally prefer overnight luxury coaches but that's your call.

ofc, at holi, goa is decently hot, and full of topless fat middle aged firangi men. completely worth avoiding.
Old 8th February 2008, 12:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I normally make it a practice to stay in RTDC hotels when I visit Rajasthan and they are pretty decent as well. The other added advantage is you can park your vehicle and take their conducted tours; thus you will save time and see all the places.

In Jodhpur you can try Hotel Ghoomar that is on High Court Road and in Udaipur Hotel Kajri. In Jodhpur visit the Mehrangarh fort, Chamunda temple, Jaswant Thada, Mandore gardens, Kailana lake, Riktiya Bhairon etc.
Hey GD Bhai !! Thanks a tonne for the Info. Will try these RTDC Hotels and see. The other hotels I picked out were rated very highly on Reviews of vacations, hotels, resorts, vacation and travel packages - TripAdvisor They are quite reasonable. I have had some bad experiences at RTDC hotels in Jaipur once. The ones you have mentioned look fine on the Internet.

Abu - wifey is keen on visiting as its a hillsatation out of the movies ( Remember QSQT )

The Idea of conducted tours is also good. Cheers !!!

Quote:
ofc, at holi, goa is decently hot, and full of topless fat middle aged firangi men. completely worth avoiding.
I know what you mean. Also I have been to Goa 7-8 times till now and the only thing you keep doing is drinking the whole day and lolling around the beach.
Old 8th February 2008, 13:23   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
HI have been to Goa 7-8 times till now and the only thing you keep doing is drinking the whole day and lolling around the beach.
And the problem with doing that is.....?? lol
Old 8th February 2008, 14:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also I have been to Goa 7-8 times till now and the only thing you keep doing is drinking the whole day and lolling around the beach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
And the problem with doing that is.....?? lol
+1 Isn't that the whole point of a holiday??
Old 8th February 2008, 14:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

@ SAM & Ishan - Both of you are single, Right ? Unmarried I mean, Right ?

I do not think I have anything else to say on this topic !!!!

Shaadi karlo aur fir batana !!! Hehehehehe ...
Old 8th February 2008, 16:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

No, no, I won't say single or unmarried. They both failed to patao a girl for ever..:-)

Quote:
@ SAM & Ishan - Both of you are single, Right ? Unmarried I mean, Right ?

I do not think I have anything else to say on this topic !!!!

Shaadi karlo aur fir batana !!! Hehehehehe ...
Old 9th February 2008, 08:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
No, no, I won't say single or unmarried. They both failed to patao a girl for ever..:-)
Right said Guru Bhai !!! LOL

I tried searching contact details for Hotel Ghoomar. Can you give me the number ? Thanks.
Old 9th February 2008, 10:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hotel Ghoomar, Jodhpur:

0291 2544010

Quote:
Right said Guru Bhai !!! LOL

I tried searching contact details for Hotel Ghoomar. Can you give me the number ? Thanks.
Old 21st February 2008, 10:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hello all !!

GD Bhai - Hotel Ghoomar is full - nothing available. Kajri I am unable to reach somehow.

I have booked the following now -

Jodhpur - Hotel Innseason - Innseason - Jodhpur

Udaipur - Mewar Haweli - Mewar Haveli - A Traditional Hotel located in Udaipur

Both of them look very good from the websites. Also their rates are pretty decent. 1500 app per room ( double occ. ). Cheap innit ??

Now I am left with Mount Abu. I am thinking of going in for Hotel Hilltone - it's expensive ( 9000 for 2n3d package ) BUT then I do not have any other choice ( DO I ??? ).

Let me know for Mount ABu guy's !!
Old 21st February 2008, 10:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Lots of budget hotels in Mt Abu - go there and search, the place will not be crowded now unlike the Rajsthan circuit which is filled with foreign tourists.
Old 21st February 2008, 20:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:

No Idea

Quote:
No Idea

Quote:
Roads are good. Hotel is also good.

Quote:
There is Nakki Lake, Sunset point. The parking of sunset point is about 1 kms before and then You will have to walk.

Quote:
Bad roads, Four laning of roads is going on. 185 kms would be covered in 5 hours approx. No major dhabas, so prepared with your foods and drinks

Quote:
Nice place - Sajjangarh fort, lakes, boat rides, and not to miss the vintage car collection at garden resort. they charge 150 rs for a lunch and entry for vintage cars collection.

Quote:
manageable but start early.

Quote:

Won't suggest the Mewar haweli. Ofcourse its a good hotel but its near the lake and approach road to the lake are pretty small like a typical gali in big cities. Would suggest Garden hotel and others which are typically a few Kms away from the lake and have wider approach roads
Old 21st February 2008, 21:25   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Now I am left with Mount Abu. I am thinking of going in for Hotel Hilltone - it's expensive ( 9000 for 2n3d package ) BUT then I do not have any other choice ( DO I ??? ).
if you plan for a budget, there is one Index - Rising Sun Retreat :: Mount Abu, Rajasthan just when you enter mount abu. Its a good budget hotel with clean environ
Old 21st February 2008, 22:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you checked lonely planet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Lots of budget hotels in Mt Abu - go there and search, the place will not be crowded now unlike the Rajsthan circuit which is filled with foreign tourists.
Umm, IME, untrue for weekends when alcohol starved Gujaratis (with all due respects to them, have stayed in Gujarat for 2.5 years) swarm over Abu for good weather and beeeeer!

Weekdays are pretty chill there.

Most Viewed