Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2008, 11:46   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadi Bhote View Post
Hi

Can some one give me info on the present road condition from Hyderabad to Bangalore? How much is under 4-laning work? What are the bad stretches?
Most of the stretch is "work in progress"
Upto Shamshabad - 4 lane.
Shamshabad - Shadnagar - partly 4 lane, then shifts back to 2 lane. but decent enough.
Followed by good 2 lane stretch upto Jadcherla.
Fly over work in progress in Jadcherla town. very bad pot holes etc.

Again work in progress upto Kurnool, but that part is good, because you would be using completed part of 4 lane. But expect slowing down.
Slow down places are around Krishna river(Jurala), and from Tungabhadra you would have reached Kurnool suburbs, so expect slow pace.

After Kurnool, some stretches are completed, but mostly you will drive on older 2 lane stretches. Expect some bad patches because of rains, and of course, more number of train intersections, in the stretch between Kurnool and Gooty. Inspite of this, you should be able to cover this stretch at good speed.
Gooty by pass is not complete. You will travel through town. Depending on time at which you cross the town, it can be crowded.
After that, upto Anantapur again is decent roads. of course unfinished.
Anantapur by-pass is not as crowded as Kurnool by-pass.
Till before you reach Penukonda things are fine. From before and after Punukonda, its a bad stretch.
Suddenly you will find a good stretch, which hardly lasts a few kms. followed by under construction area, which is Puttaparthi diversion.
After that again bad stretches in between.

After Chikkballapur, again old highway which is worn out, and expect increasing traffic.
From before Devanahalli again 4 lane, but high traffic.
Old 23rd August 2008, 11:39   #17
BHPian

Thanks Sri, that is helpful, can plan on the driving time.
Old 24th August 2008, 23:57   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Most of the stretch is "work in progress"
Upto Shamshabad - 4 lane.
From before Devanahalli again 4 lane, but high traffic.
Thanks a lot Sri. this info is going to help me lot. may be next weak i am planning to Bangalore from Hyd in my Verna CRDi
Old 26th September 2008, 14:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Updates please

Guys,

Am planning to do Blr-Hyd on 27th-Sep, Saturday. Any updates on the road conditions, after 1-Sep ?

thanks
Srini
Old 26th September 2008, 19:38   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Guys,

Am planning to do Blr-Hyd on 27th-Sep, Saturday. Any updates on the road conditions, after 1-Sep ?

thanks
Srini
I am leaving to hyd tonight. I will try and update the conditions once i reach tomorrow morning.. if i am not too tired that is..
Old 26th September 2008, 21:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
I am leaving to hyd tonight. I will try and update the conditions once i reach tomorrow morning.. if i am not too tired that is..

Wish you a happy journey , Enjoy man. Are you diving in Night ,
Old 26th September 2008, 21:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Roads are bad, progress is slow, avoidable at night.
Old 27th September 2008, 18:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo_gogo View Post
Wish you a happy journey , Enjoy man. Are you diving in Night ,

Thanks mate... well I left blr at 11.30 PM and reached home in safilguda @ 11.30 AM... I absolutely loved the night drive. I would RECOMMEND a night drive to anyone with a competent set of wheels (read no issue wrt breakdowns etc) and a more competent mindset . If you can hold on to speeds of about 20-30 kmph lesser than what you think you can do on these roads.. you will really enjoy the drive... Just dont get too arrogant and drive fast.. if you lack discipline.. well dont hit the highways.. night or day!!

Road update: from Bangalore it is carpet smooth till BIA.. after that suddenly the lights and 3 lane with markings etc simply dissappear.. till shamsabad atleast.

There are atleast about 50 deviations in the entire stretch due to 4 laning. but pay attention to the signboards. They are accurate and warn you of deviations.. plz maintain speeds of less than 80 kmph at night...

The road is little bad after about 100 kms from BIA... drivable still.. and if you live in bangalore, you wont even notice that the road is bad.. lol...

The road is pretty good for the rest of the way till hyd except as soon as the "welcome to kurnool" board greets you.. the next 10 kms is a little hard to navigate in a small car like zen but on a muv/suv it should be pretty doable... watch out..

70 kms before hyd, at jadcharla the traffic is very very bad... so if you can time your trip to this stretch before 6 am or after 10 pm it will be great... I am contemplating either leaving blr @ 6 PM from next drive onwards or other option is to leave around noon so i get into hyd at night and avoid a lot of "unruly" hyd traffic... oh yeah, i am from hyd originally... hum aisich hai... kya karte karlo...

Side note: the sky was clear and the stars were at their brightest and i could see the entire sky so clearly.. the night drive was one of my best drive.. and this is the first night drive i have done... in my over 30,000 kms on Indian highways...really enjoyed it.. but if you dont have discipline... dont even think about night drive.. and invest in a good pair of anti glare eye glasses.. uff long post... leave to blr on monday.. mostly
Old 29th September 2008, 11:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Update from 27th Sept Blr-Hyd daytime drive

Road condition is improving month by month. Deviations are still there.

The stretch between Penukonda and Ananthapur are bad, with some stretches of finished 4 lanes where you can speed to an extent, but beware of the deviations.

Between Ananthapur and Gooty, the road is bad with a lot of potholes. The potholes are being repaired, but progress is slow. This stretch was good about 2 months back.

After Gooty, roads are good except in patches near the towns where flyovers or bypass work is going on.

I took about 11hrs with a 30min breakfast break. High traffic between Kurnool and Hyderabad.

The Krishna river is in full flow bank to bank at Beechpally! Dont miss this if driving during the daytime!
Old 29th September 2008, 12:35   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Travelled by bus towards HYD a couple of weeks back. Wasnt happy with the conditions between BLR & Anantpur (took a deviation after that). Work's in progress, lots of deviations..
Old 15th October 2008, 20:27   #26
BHPian

Guys,

How is the road condition betwen BLR and HYD now? I am planning to RIDE to hyd from blr on my bike. I want to leave at arnd 3am from blr. I guess about 12 hrs should be enough to reach hyd? I am generally a slow rider and this is my first long distance ride as well (done a BLR-Yercaud-BLR trip a few months ago).

What I want to know most importantly is the weather report during this time of the year. Should I expect rain during the daytime? I am not going to ride at night for sure.

Cheers!

Prajwal
Old 15th October 2008, 20:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
Guys,

How is the road condition betwen BLR and HYD now? I am planning to RIDE to hyd from blr on my bike. I want to leave at arnd 3am from blr. I guess about 12 hrs should be enough to reach hyd? I am generally a slow rider and this is my first long distance ride as well (done a BLR-Yercaud-BLR trip a few months ago).

Prajwal.
Considering that you are not a speed gun, I would suggest to take routes parallel to NH than NH itself. There will be lot of high speed traffic, and since there is lot of construction work going on, you will find wrong side/correct side traffic etc.

Upto Anantapur, I would suggest Bang-Yelahanka-Doddaballapur-Hindupur and then join NH and then immediately take a diversion to Puttaparthi. That road goes via Dharmavaram, and reaches Anantapur. This is a very decent track. In fact, I took deviation towards Puttaparthi/Dharmavaram by mistake from NH, and I could comfortably do 100+ speeds. Definitely more scenic route, and I am sure you would enjoy it. Upto Hindupur as well, I drove on that before, and a very good road.

Beyond Anantapur, I have never tried anything else, but there is a route to Kurnool but may be longer.
Check out maps, and see if it makes sense to go by smaller routes even beyond Anantapur.
Old 15th October 2008, 21:15   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Prajwal.
Considering that you are not a speed gun, I would suggest to take routes parallel to NH than NH itself. There will be lot of high speed traffic, and since there is lot of construction work going on, you will find wrong side/correct side traffic etc.

Upto Anantapur, I would suggest Bang-Yelahanka-Doddaballapur-Hindupur and then join NH and then immediately take a diversion to Puttaparthi. That road goes via Dharmavaram, and reaches Anantapur. This is a very decent track. In fact, I took deviation towards Puttaparthi/Dharmavaram by mistake from NH, and I could comfortably do 100+ speeds. Definitely more scenic route, and I am sure you would enjoy it. Upto Hindupur as well, I drove on that before, and a very good road.

Beyond Anantapur, I have never tried anything else, but there is a route to Kurnool but may be longer.
Check out maps, and see if it makes sense to go by smaller routes even beyond Anantapur.
Fabulous suggestion! I looked up the Google maps and the route runs parallel all the way till Anantpur. After that, it makes better sense to follow NH7 till hyd.

My usual cruising speeds are around 70-75kmph. I just hope the State highways are in good shape coz I ain't an iron-butted build.

Any places to break on the parallel route? I am guessing Hindupur is a fairly big town to break?

Prajwal
Old 15th October 2008, 21:28   #29
BHPian

Another advantage of taking Doddaballapur route in morning is you avoid all incoming bus traffic into Bangalore on NH. By the time you reach Anantapur, you would have avoided all incoming traffic.
Old 15th October 2008, 22:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Another advantage of taking Doddaballapur route in morning is you avoid all incoming bus traffic into Bangalore on NH. By the time you reach Anantapur, you would have avoided all incoming traffic.
Avoiding incoming traffic is a great advantage. The volvos are such a menace on the roads.

Prajwal

Most Viewed