Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2008, 10:35   #1
BHPian

Bangalore to Hyderabad Road Condition

Hi,

Me and a whole lot of friends are planning to drive down to Hyderabad on Friday nite for the DJ Tiesto show at Hyd Gachibowli stadium. I wanted updates on the road conditions from Bangalore to Hyd. I have driven on this stretch way back in 2002 and the road though was a single lane was in excellent condition way back then. Any updates would definitely help us be prepared. Thanks in advance.
Old 13th February 2008, 10:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

I drove down about 3 weeks ago. The road condition from Bangalore to Ananthpur is bad. At least the first 100 kms. The road is being widened and there is just enough width for one vehicle, often the gravel. So, please be careful during this patch.

The road from there is good, just that there are no lanes or dividers. Just make sure you don't drive in the night and you'll be fine. The Volvos and trucks are horrible in the night.
Old 13th February 2008, 11:18   #3
BHPian

Thanks rocksterraghu for this info. Well we are driving in the nite as we intend to be there in Hyd on Saturday morning. Thanks once again.
Old 13th February 2008, 11:21   #4
BANNED

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ns-report.html

Most recent update.
Old 27th July 2008, 21:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

27th July Update

Did a very quick weekend trip 24-27July to Hyderabad.

Bangalore-Chikaballapur road is pretty good, barring a small stretch around the chikkaballapur town.

Chikkaballapur-Penukonda road is very good with minimal diversions, good road surface.

Penukonda-Ananthapur stretch is bad. Potholes, road work etc.,

Ananthapur-Kurnool again is ok. there are diversions around the road works.

Kurool - Hyderabad has improved, less number of diversions. longer stretches of good roads.

Did the trip one way in 9.5hrs in rain, with a good dose of traffic between kurnool and hyderabad.

Avoid night driving.
Old 31st July 2008, 23:36   #6
BHPian

Thanks Srini for the update.
I am planning to do Bang-Hyd on 9th of Aug.

Can some one suggest food option on the way?
Also would be better to fill up fuel on the way before reaching hyd considering diesel shortage scenario?
Any bunks on the way preferably Kurnool or beyond which accept credit cards?

thanks in advance.
Old 1st August 2008, 10:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sritul,

Food Options:

the GHAR dhaba near Kurnool and Gooty are possibly the options I can think of. There are other wayside hotels in Ananthapur, Gooty, Kurnool. We normally carry food.

Fuel up at half way mark along the way, to avoid diesel/petrol shortage. the situation is unpredictable. Pumps dont accept cards. cash all the way upo Hyderabad.
Old 1st August 2008, 15:34   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Sritul,

Food Options:

the GHAR dhaba near Kurnool and Gooty are possibly the options I can think of. There are other wayside hotels in Ananthapur, Gooty, Kurnool. We normally carry food.
I normally carry food while coming back, but forward journey, once I tried A1 plaza Gooty, and other time I wasted time going into Anantapur.

I found way side hotels in Kurnool better than any others, but that is a bit long way to go without food
Will see if I can pack something...
Old 1st August 2008, 15:37   #9
Team-BHP Support

Mods: Can we have August 2008 appended to the title.

Since roads conditions change every few months.
It will provide better context information during searches.
Old 1st August 2008, 15:52   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

This improvement on road conditions will probably enthuse our Hyd and Bangalore coordinators for the mid-way meet.
Old 1st August 2008, 19:05   #11
BHPian

Very good info ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Did a very quick weekend trip 24-27July to Hyderabad.

Bangalore-Chikaballapur road is pretty good, barring a small stretch around the chikkaballapur town.

Chikkaballapur-Penukonda road is very good with minimal diversions, good road surface.

Penukonda-Ananthapur stretch is bad. Potholes, road work etc.,

Ananthapur-Kurnool again is ok. there are diversions around the road works.

Kurool - Hyderabad has improved, less number of diversions. longer stretches of good roads.

Did the trip one way in 9.5hrs in rain, with a good dose of traffic between kurnool and hyderabad.

Avoid night driving.
This is great. I am planning a trip to Srisailam during the August 9th weekend and another trip to Hyderabad during the end of August. I usually drive during the day and this information is awesome. Thanks Srini.
Old 13th August 2008, 11:35   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
This is great. I am planning a trip to Srisailam during the August 9th weekend and another trip to Hyderabad during the end of August. I usually drive during the day and this information is awesome. Thanks Srini.
I'm planning to drive to Hyderabad this weekend (17th). Let me know your experiences. Also is there a place to stay on the way (in case I need a break)
Old 13th August 2008, 12:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

You can do Bangalore-Hyderabad in 10-12 hrs, driving during the daytime. Why do you need a place to stay ? Avoid night driving.

If you still need a place, try either Ananthapur or Kurnool. Dont know of any places there.

Drive safe.
Old 14th August 2008, 12:27   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiddu View Post
I'm planning to drive to Hyderabad this weekend (17th). Let me know your experiences. Also is there a place to stay on the way (in case I need a break)
I drove to hyderabad last Saturday, and this weekend I would be driving back. I am a bit more conservative driver, and took me exactly 12 hrs(actually 2 mins short) started at 6:17 AM and reached 6:15 PM

All the way expect frequent deviations, which will slow down your pace. Make sure you start early, else you will slow down towards end, as you approach city.
For me it was Light intemittent drizzles from Gooty, drizzling from Kurnool, slightly heavier drizzle from Jedcharla slowed the pace.

I could reach Gooty in 5 hrs(inspite of longer route I took)
One diversion board was misleading, and I took the Puttaparthi route from NH7, I realised that I took a wrong turn just after 2 kms, but decided to continue on that road towards Puttaparthi, Dharmavaram, and Anantapur. It took me atleast 45 mins more time because I entered Anatapur and DMM towns.

Kurnool-Hyd is better than my previous drives two years ago. Most streaches are pot hole free, and even diversions are pretty neat as compared to other streches where diversions are full of pot holes.

Be careful at these places.

Just in case you need, Kurnool should be a good place to stay.

Depending on where your destination is within Hyd, avoid Mehdipatnam route if you can during peak hours.
Rethibowli intersection is a mess. I read in news paper that there are diversions around that area from 21st. Traffic management(or lack of it) around that area makes driving miserable there. The fly over under construction there is going to cross the rethibowli circle.

Attapur junction is another bottle neck.

Plan your entry into city based on time you enter city.

Safe driving.
sriturl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2008, 16:56   #15
BHPian

Hi

Can some one give me info on the present road condition from Hyderabad to Bangalore? How much is under 4-laning work? What are the bad stretches?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks