Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2008, 12:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

HVkumar has once done Joshimath from Rishikesh in 9 Hours.

Edit :- he has just posted the same.

so thats why i'm assuming that the whole stretch(Noida to Joshimath) can be done easily in 14-15 hrs by leaving early morning at 2 AM and reaching JoshiMath the following evening.

I am not sure about the road conditions of this route.And somebody also suggested Pauri route for better roads and of course i dont wanna go to Rishikesh etc.

Lets see how it goes.

Thanks all for the inputs.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:24   #17
BHPian

Simply-sunny001, if you start early at around 2, obviously you will stay clear of the jams in modinagar & will save some time. The roads after Meerut were under 4 laning 3-4 months ago , so lot of diversions & construction material lying on roads which reduces speeds to greater extent. Also as of now, all roads are 2 lane & with heavy vehicles plying at night, speeds are not that great. As you reach Khatuli, the roads turns to be more rough & continue till Muzaffarnagar Byepass. After that , journey will be smooth.

P.S. It took me 9 hours in Nov 2007 to cover Delhi-Dehradun in my Ikon
Old 19th February 2008, 12:27   #18
BHPian

Pauri route will be better as many Bhpians pointed out in this case.

As of now, I haven't done that route, so just making my assumptions on the relies given by other T-Bhpians
Old 19th February 2008, 13:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
Pauri route will be better as many Bhpians pointed out in this case.

As of now, I haven't done that route, so just making my assumptions on the relies given by other T-Bhpians
ya, i'm also more inclined towards the Pauri route,so trying to get more road conditions info for this route.
Old 5th August 2008, 16:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
Go via pauri and head to joshimath, avoid haridwar-rishikesh route.

New Delhi-Ghaziabad(NH-58)-Meerut(dont take the bypass)-Bijnor-Najibabad-Kotdwara-Pauri(1st day stop)-Rudraprayag-karnprayag-joshimath-auli

The route is in excellent condition, the Meerut-Pauri detour is just 10 kms extra(info indiamike.com) but worth if rishikesh/haridwar is not in your plan.I would personally prefer safari out of the three.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
ya, i'm also more inclined towards the Pauri route,so trying to get more road conditions info for this route.
Sunny
did you do the above trip to AULI

If yes, did you do the journey via Haridwar & Rishikesh or via Pauri & Srinagar.

I too am planning a trip to Hemkund and was thinking to doing it through Haridwar, but after reading this post, and if anyone else has done this route, avoiding Rishikesh, I would like to do the same.
Old 7th August 2008, 14:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev

i couldnt do that trip otherwise would have posted the travelogue.

But i would still prefer the Pauri route anyday than Haridwar/Rishikesh

Reason being less traffic,better roads and Better scenery

Meerut Bypass-Rishikesh-Devprayag-Shrinagar - 279 km
Meerut Bypass-Bijnor-Najibabad-Kotdwar-Pauri-Shrinagar - 289 km

The hill-section of NH 119 is in very good condition, the terrain is such that the extra distance wud require around 30 mins extra driving time.
Certainly worth it for the scenery and lower traffic.

Last edited by simply_sunny001 : 7th August 2008 at 14:23.
Old 7th August 2008, 14:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Harjeev

i couldnt do that trip otherwise would have posted the travelogue.

But i would still prefer the Pauri route anyday than Haridwar/Rishikesh

Reason being less traffic,better roads and Better scenery

Meerut Bypass-Rishikesh-Devprayag-Shrinagar - 279 km
Meerut Bypass-Bijnor-Najibabad-Kotdwar-Pauri-Shrinagar - 289 km

The hill-section of NH 119 is in very good condition, the terrain is such that the extra distance wud require around 30 mins extra driving time.
Certainly worth it for the scenery and lower traffic.
Thanks for the reply sunny.
I think, as you suggested, I too would take the 2nd option.
Old 26th December 2008, 23:49   #23
BHPian

Which car is good for Auli...

Is the road conditions good enough to drive a ford fiesta petrol uptill auli?

or if we drive upto joshimath, are there public parking available where we can park the vehicle and take the cable ride up?
Old 18th February 2009, 14:06   #24

Driving to Auli

I have driven upto Auli in a Baleno and did not face any serious problem.
Only problem post Winter are the landslides and the road narrowing top a single lane.
The road from Joshimath to Auli is not bad. It depends where you are staying. If you stay at Cliff Top the road from the ITBF base to the REsort is meant only for a 4 wheel Drive and high clearance.
If you stay at the GMVN resort you can park the car in their parking area.
I parked my car at the GMVN parking at used the Chair car to travel up and down from the Cliff Top. You can call the resort and he will carry your luggage up in his 4WD while you can use the chair car up. (It is fascinating)
I am not sure of the parking in Joshimath and using the Cable car.
Old 28th November 2010, 10:32   #25
BHPian

Advise require for trip to Auli

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to take a trip to Auli in the 1st week of January next year. Plan is to leave either on 2nd or 3rd Jan. Reach the next day. Stay at Auli for 2-3 days. And then come back again. Have not found much details on the internet about road conditions, places to stay and trip planning. Has anyone been there lately or even last year?

Need advise on road conditions, best route, how much time it would take, idea place for halting overnight (I want to cross rishikesh on the 1st day and move closer to Auli), decent places to stay in Auli (would Joshimath be a better staying option than Auli?), hotel prices etc.

Also, considering its gonna be all snow out there, do you think my ford fiesta 1.6S can make it to the top?

Any information would be highly useful.

- Sourav
Old 28th November 2010, 19:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

Road conditions are range from bad to worse right now. There is but one route beyond rishikesh till then its upto you to choose. There are a lot of updates on Delhi Haridwar routes. Auli will be very very cold in the first week of January so go prepared. Snow I would not worry about too much. Staying in Auli makes much more sense than Joshimath. Best route will be to stay overnight at say Devprayag and then next day go the full way.
Old 13th January 2011, 12:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advise require for trip to Auli

I visited Auli in Feb 2010. Basically it was for Ski Fun. Its a fantastic place to be from Jan to March if you want to experience snow. I am from Mumbai so I traveled to Delhi by flight, then by train to Haridwar and then took a taxi to Joshimath. It was a very long drive, about 10 hours from Haridwar to Joshimath. Roads are really bad on some stretches but its a beautiful drive through the Garhwal Himalayas along the river.

Auli is about 14 kms from Joshimath. It can be accessed by cable car or a 4x4 vehicle during snow. We booked Clifftop Club in Auli. However when we reached Joshimath we came to know the cable car was closed for maintenance. We called up Clifftop to send the car but their car was also broken (they have only one gypsy). They were ready to send a guide and we had to climb 14 Kms which is impossible with the luggage we had and the cold and snow.

So we stayed in Joshimath for 1 night at GMVN guest house. Its really nice. We came to know there was no light, water and food at Clifftop Club as all roads were blocked on the way there. So next day we went to GMVN resort at Auli and trust me it is much better than Clifftop Club. It had all the facilities and very good rooms and much cheap than Clifftop Club. We stayed for 3 nights and enjoyed very much. We climbed to Clifftop Club on 2nd day and its was a very horrible place. GMVN guest houses are best to stay if anyone visits Uttarakhand. GMVN resort has very good restaurant and Bar.

You can drive upto Joshimath in your car but to reach Auli you will have to take a 4x4 or the cable car if there is snow, else a normal car can be driven upto the top. But it is a fantastic place and a must visit once in life.
Old 4th September 2023, 14:21   #28
BHPian

Re: Need Route Info for Going to AULI

Hello Everyone,

I am planning a 5 day (28th Sep to 2nd Oct) road trip to Auli from Noida with my family. Need suggestions if it is advisable to travel this stretch and the road conditions after the recent heavy rains in the mountains.

Would be a bonus if anyone could suggest alternate routes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks