Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2008, 17:32   #1
BHPian

Bangalore to Vizag in a LPG P. Padmini...

Hello everyone!!
Wish I had known about this Forum before.....

I drive around a lot on my Premier Padmini 1984 on LPG and have done more than a lakh Kms with the old favorite.

I am driving to Vizag from Bangalore on Wednesday with a night break somewhere. I wish to know 2 things from other experienced travellers on this route:
1. How is the LPG availability on this route at this moment?
I need a refill 400kms off Thirupati towards Vizag. I have a 60Ltr. tank and a 500km range.
2. What is the AP Tax etc., for a private car?

I have read some of the threads about this route, but would like some current information.

Thanks everyone and Cheers!!
Old 25th February 2008, 18:27   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

@docel, a little more information from your side will help for better answers.
Quote:
docel : I am driving to Vizag from Bangalore on Wednesday with a night break somewhere.
What is the route you plan to take ? Or are you looking for suggestions on what route to take ?
Quote:
docel : 2. What is the AP Tax etc., for a private car?
Why AP taxes ? Are you planning to move from BLR to Vizag permanently ?
Old 25th February 2008, 18:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

moving to AP? if you have original purchase invoice of the vehichle, its straight forward. visit this link http://www.aptransport.org/html/3SCHEDULE.htm. 500 kms on 60lts tanks works around 8 kms per liter.
Old 25th February 2008, 19:36   #4
rkg
Senior - BHPian

CNG is available at viziawada abot 400-450 km from tirupati.iam not sure of LPG.

I think some one has provided the links to LPG stations in some thread in this forum check it.

road from bangalore to tirupati is ok.good in the lst 60KM

from tirupati to naidupet it is very good. from naidupet to vizag it is GQ all the way. total distance will be around 1100 KM.

if you can start in the evening stay at tirupati overnight. that would be better
Old 25th February 2008, 22:44   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
rkg : CNG is available at viziawada abot 400-450 km from tirupati.iam not sure of LPG.
If you are moving to Vizag, do check if you get Auto LPG there. There can be instances where only CNG is available in a particular area - and if your car has a LPG kit, you will be stuck. In such a situation, it may make more sense to give up the car.
Old 26th February 2008, 00:37   #6
BHPian

Well!
Thanks a lot folks, for the fast and concerned replies!! I really appreciate that....
I think I am guilty of not being complete in my post.
1. This is a round trip -Bangalore-Vizag-Bangalore. I have a Robotics Workshop at GITAM, Vizag on the 1st and 2nd March. I have to leave Vizag on the 3rd to Bangalore.

2. Thanks Condor: My route is Bangalore-Thirupati-Kalahasti-Naidupeta-Nellore-Vijayawada-Vizag and return the same way.
I heard there are border tax/permit for entry into AP. We have a problem here in Karnataka: Private travel hesitate to come to AP due to reasons of Taxes etc., Last year , we travelled to /?Hyderabad in a yellow-board Vesta. The Tax/permit fees was 7.5K.
The PT operators say the Tax/Permit value for a private car is from 1k to 2.5K + Swear on Lord Venkateswara for due endorsement of ownership etc., In fact, I could'nt find a reasonably fair Taxi/Van for this trip, for the reasons stated. ( Is this true, or are these PT agents taking everyone on more than one ride?? )

3. Thanks, Kutlee: The 500Km range is the maximum I get. The actual mileage is 10KM/Ltr. through flat terrain and 9Km/ltr through ghats like Bangalore-Sultan battery- Vynad-Calicut-Kanyakumari-Bangalore. I have been on this Kerala route more than 30 times with the same mileage.
The tank capacity is 60, but I can fill a max of 52 Ltrs only.

4. Thanks, RKG:
Thanks, I plan to do just that, if i am tired. The actual plan is to break journey at Nellore. I usually drive non-stop, unless My wife is with me. She usually is......... :-)

5. No. I'm not moving to Vizag permanently. Just visit!

The main concern is the LPG and the tax.......and the 'harassment' at the border, as expressed by the Travel agents.

Thanks to all of you , for the speedy and useful reply. Much appreciate it!
This trip, I will document and post my experience in my old favorite!!!
Old 26th February 2008, 10:50   #7
rkg
Senior - BHPian

the entry tax is only for taxi's or commercial vehicles. if your car is owned by you no need to worry at all. no body stops you at check post. but if it is yellow board with non AP registration they do stop and ask permit. it is same for all states. personal vehicles with white board need not pay these taxes.

Last edited by rkg : 26th February 2008 at 10:53.
Old 26th February 2008, 11:27   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docel View Post
I need a refill 400kms off Thirupati towards Vizag. I have a 60Ltr. tank and a 500km range.
Auto LPG availability is not that good along this route. Nellore (130 k) from Tirupati is having one. You may consider refilling here, although you'd have to take a slight detour (less than a km) for that.
AFAIK, Vijayawada does have Auto LPG stations although i dont know exact locations.If you cannot find one in Vijayawada, Try Guntur which is one hour from there. I am sure that there is atleast one Auto LPG outlet in that route. You might have to keep your eyes open though!

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th February 2008 at 13:47. Reason: Merged Consecutive posts
Old 28th February 2008, 00:25   #9
BHPian

Thanks rkg,
That is what I was doing before. Havent gone that route since a year, so was a little sceptical.

Thanks Aravindwarrior,
Will look out for that ALDS !
Old 11th March 2008, 10:27   #10
BHPian

A Great drive!!!

Hi Folks!!
That was a great ground trip indeed!!
Sorry- am stuck up with unwanted hassles and have'nt found time to share......
Will do so in a day or two !
Old 30th May 2010, 07:23   #11
BHPian

Hi !
Here are some pics of the trip :
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Vizag in a LPG P. Padmini...-fiatvizag200821.jpg  

Bangalore to Vizag in a LPG P. Padmini...-fiatvizag200807.jpg  

Bangalore to Vizag in a LPG P. Padmini...-fiatvizag200809.jpg  

Bangalore to Vizag in a LPG P. Padmini...-fiatvizag200813.jpg  

Bangalore to Vizag in a LPG P. Padmini...-fiatvizag200824.jpg  

Bangalore to Vizag in a LPG P. Padmini...-fiatvizag200830.jpg  

Bangalore to Vizag in a LPG P. Padmini...-fiatvizag200832.jpg  

Bangalore to Vizag in a LPG P. Padmini...-fiatvizag200834.jpg  

Bangalore to Vizag in a LPG P. Padmini...-fiatvizag200837.jpg  

Bangalore to Vizag in a LPG P. Padmini...-fiatvizag200838.jpg  

Old 30th May 2010, 09:43   #12
BHPian

Bangalore to Vizag in a LPG Premier Padmini

Hi Friends!
Heres some details of that trip:
1. The entire trip was on LPG. No petrol was used, even for starting.
2. The LPG mileage was 12.8/ltr for the entire trip of 2650 Kms. basically due to the great roads enroute.
3. The LPG filling points were @ Tirupati, Nellore, Guntur Vijayawada, Vizag.
4. The only problem was engine heat; had to fill the radiator often ( not unfamiliar to Fiats )
5. No one believed that we 'drove all the way from Bangalore in the Premier Padmini- that too on LPG'.

I am Sorry for the late update as I had problems with the memory card. All the pics were taken with a Motorola KRZR K1 mobile phone.

Thanks to all and best wishes !
Old 30th May 2010, 10:20   #13
BHPian

Bangalore to Vizag in a LPG Premier Padmini

Hi Friends!
Heres some details of that trip:
1. The entire trip was on LPG. No petrol was used, even for starting.
2. The LPG mileage was 12.8/ltr for the entire trip of 2650 Kms. basically due to the great roads enroute.
3. The LPG filling points were @ Tirupati, Nellore, Guntur Vijayawada, Vizag.
4. The only problem was engine heat; had to fill the radiator often ( not unfamiliar to Fiats )
5. No one believed that we 'drove all the way from Bangalore in the Premier Padmini- that too on LPG'.

I am Sorry for the late update as I had problems with the memory card. All the pics were taken with a Motorola KRZR K1 mobile phone.

Thanks to all and best wishes !
Old 23rd April 2013, 20:17   #14
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Vizag in a LPG P. Padmini...

I love my Premier Padmini CAQ9946.

A very lucky car - she has been very kind and devoted tome. Many times, she has blown a tyre or conked out , withing eye-sight distance of a mechanic.

I have clocked 1000s of kilometers , always at the drop of a hat and with no notice or preparation for a long journey.

There seems nobody in sight, to give her a home.

Today she stands, out in the Sun and Rain, waiting for the Butcher...

2 days from now, and she will be no more but pieces of Junk, strewn all over the metal market or melted into someones a part of someones, gate , or manhole cover or nails or whatever a scrap market can turn metal into...

2 days from now, She will be dead.

I wish to thank her , for the unfailing service she has served and for all the joy that she gave me , during the many years of being mine. She is the favourite of my Dog Lassie, who has 32,000 Kms in her.

Sorry old girl - I must let you go.... RIP !

https://plus.google.com/photos/10032...55681060328001
Old 13th June 2018, 22:08   #15
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Vizag in a LPG P. Padmini...

...miss you P Padmini
I ditched you sweetheart.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks