Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2017, 11:22   #1666
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptiwa View Post
I'm form Mumbai and planning a holiday to Ooty. The current plan is to fly to Bangalore, take a Zoomcar from the airport, and drive down to Ooty with one overnight halt at Mysore.

Can the folks here help me with the suggested routes?
Route is simple when going via Mysore, but traffic may be heavy given you start around 9:30am, especially on weekends/holidays.

From the Airport, you can go right through the city and get on to Mysore Road. From Mysore, take the Ooty route via the Mysore Palace-Nanjangud-Gundlupet, standard route.
After Gundlupet, proceed straight into Bandipur and then the Tamil Nadu side of the forest (Mudumalai).
Soon, you reach Theppakadu, here you have couple of options
(i) turn left and go to Ooty via Masinagudi and Kalhatty ghat road (steep, not too narrow, scenic, excellent road known as the 36 hair pin bend route).

(ii) go straight via Gudalur (NH route) to reach Ooty.

You can consider taking (i) onward and returning via (ii)

If your Zoomcar rental and return is at Bangalore airport, this plan is fine, I would say start your return drive around 10am or thereabouts to be on safer side with some buffer time.

*Note:There is a bus service from Bangalore airport to Mysore, so you could take that and rent your car at Mysore (is that possible ?)
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 12:16   #1667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The current plan is to fly to Bangalore, take a Zoomcar from the airport, and drive down to Ooty with one overnight halt at Mysore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Route is simple when going via Mysore, but traffic may be heavy given you start around 9:30am, especially on weekends/holidays.
Weekends the traffic can get a little crazy on the Bangalore - Mysore road. Alternative route can be https://goo.gl/maps/BDk5w2TAVSk where in you will be driving 90 odd kms on a 4L Toll highway between Nelamangala - Bellur cross & then 65kms between Bellur Cross - Srirangapatna on good 2L state roads. Time taken via this route will be ~2.5hrs from Nelamangala to Srirangapatna, which is quiet ok given the stress free ride where as Bangalore - Mysore can take anywhere between 2 - 4.5 hrs depending on time of the day and day of the week After you hit Srirangapatna, its the usual route to mysore via the ring road - nanjangud - masinagudi

If you end destination is Ooty, why not fly to Coimbatore and then drive up to Ooty? Should save time and will be less stressful as you will have to drive much lesser as compared to Bangalore - Ooty. Added advantage is same state and hence you wont have to worry about paying state tax at the border, which you will need to while driving from Bangalore to Ooty in Zoomcar.

Last edited by procrj : 17th May 2017 at 12:28.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 13:13   #1668
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Weekends the traffic can get a little crazy on the Bangalore - Mysore road. Alternative route can be https://goo.gl/maps/BDk5w2TAVSk
Thanks for the inputs.
I forgot to mention. My journey dates are weekdays with the weekend in Ooty. Does that help avoiding traffic?
I have been stuck in crazy ORR traffic during previous visits. Though I'm guessing I'll bypass all of that.
And yes, I'm planning to take the Zoomcar from the airport itself and return there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
If you end destination is Ooty, why not fly to Coimbatore and then drive up to Ooty?
Flights to Coimbatore were double of flights to Bangalore. Hence, the choice of the origin point. Plus this enables a Mysore visit as well.

Quote:
Soon, you reach Theppakadu, here you have couple of options
(i) turn left and go to Ooty via Masinagudi and Kalhatty ghat road (steep, not too narrow, scenic, excellent road known as the 36 hair pin bend route).

(ii) go straight via Gudalur (NH route) to reach Ooty.

You can consider taking (i) onward and returning via (ii)
The 36 hair pin bend route sounds fantastic. I just hope none of my kids throw up.

Few more queries
  • Would you recommend I do Mysore on the return trip just to be very safe from reaching the airport?
  • Are Bandipur and Mudumalai worth a visit at this time of the year?
Old 17th May 2017, 13:42   #1669
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs.
I forgot to mention. My journey dates are weekdays with the weekend in Ooty. Does that help avoiding traffic?
I have been stuck in crazy ORR traffic during previous visits. Though I'm guessing I'll bypass all of that.
And yes, I'm planning to take the Zoomcar from the airport itself and return there.

Flights to Coimbatore were double of flights to Bangalore. Hence, the choice of the origin point. Plus this enables a Mysore visit as well.

The 36 hair pin bend route sounds fantastic. I just hope none of my kids throw up.

Few more queries
  • Would you recommend I do Mysore on the return trip just to be very safe from reaching the airport?

Hi,

Weekends or weekdays, Bangalore is jampacked almost all the time.
You can consider the NICE road to bypass traffic and take the Mysore road exit.
Are you planning to visit Mysore palace, zoo etc or it just an overnight halt?
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 13:47   #1670
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Assuming you want to stay overnight, you can stop over when you return, so keep aside a full day for Mysore (drive to Mysore in the afternoon from Ooty, spend the next day at Mysore and checkout on the day you take your flight from Bangalore). With this plan, you can visit the KRS/Brindavan garden in the evening and next day spent at the Palace, etc (There's not much water in KRS).

Bandipur and Mudumalai are adjacent (Same forest in different states), you can see if there are Safari rides at the forest department Safari points when you drive by either during onward or return (though typical safari timings are early mornings and evening around 4pm).
Old 19th May 2017, 17:24   #1671
BHPian

So I'm now first going to Coonoor for 4 days and then Ooty for the remaining 3. I assume that the route options above should be still valid and I will take the 36 hair pin bend while going to Ooty.
Mysore has been dropped and we will be going straight from Ooty to Bangalore.
Old 23rd May 2017, 18:36   #1672
BHPian

Team,

I am also planning to be in BLR on 2nd June and take a Zoomcar. Planning to go to Ooty for 3 nights/4 days. On 6th, plan to start from Ooty in the morning, reach Bangalore around 2 pm and fly back home.

Q1) This would be my first Zoom car renting. What are the do's and dont's for Zoom car? I have to pay around 11,000/- to book the car for 5 days, so don't want to take chances. Your guidance, experience would be highly appreciated.

Q2) I need guidance on the route as well. This will be my first trip to BLR-Ooty sector. I will read through the pages, however any quick tips is again appreciated.

~/Basuk
Old 23rd May 2017, 23:02   #1673
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So I'm now first going to Coonoor for 4 days and then Ooty for the remaining 3. I assume that the route options above should be still valid and I will take the 36 hair pin bend while going to Ooty.
In that case you have another option now, possibly a tad faster too.

You can take Bangalore-Salem-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam-Coonoor. Wide and good roads all the way, with 4 laned sections of Bangalore-Salem on NH 7/44 and Salem-Avinashi on NH 47/544.
This way you avoid traversing the whole length of Ooty to reach Coonoor as it's your first destination.

You can then do Coonoor-Ooty and return to Bangalore via Mysore.

You may have to forego the 36 hair pin bend route as cops sometimes don't allow downhill traffic.
Old 24th May 2017, 00:58   #1674
BHPian

Quote:

You may have to forego the 36 hair pin bend route as cops sometimes don't allow downhill traffic.
This is something new and unheard. What could be the reason ? I've done this route, just last month (April 2017).

And last year May, I've done 2 round trips on the same day, when our stay was in Masinagudi, followed by another round trip on another day.

Or, is it getting overcrowded. Gudalur route has lot of traffic and you'll loose the fun of driving in ghats.

Last edited by jaaz : 24th May 2017 at 01:01.
Old 24th May 2017, 01:35   #1675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuk View Post
Team,

I am also planning to be in BLR on 2nd June and take a Zoomcar. Planning to go to Ooty for 3 nights/4 days. On 6th, plan to start from Ooty in the morning, reach Bangalore around 2 pm and fly back home.

Q1) This would be my first Zoom car renting. What are the do's and dont's for Zoom car? I have to pay around 11,000/- to book the car for 5 days, so don't want to take chances. Your guidance, experience would be highly appreciated.

Q2) I need guidance on the route as well. This will be my first trip to BLR-Ooty sector. I will read through the pages, however any quick tips is again appreciated.

~/Basuk

As NPV mentioned, the route via Salem avinashi mettupalayam is very good. But it's also the usual highway run. I personally prefer the mysore route for its beauty and the jungle pass. Also, if you want to avoid the36 hairpin bends route via masinagudi, you can take the longer route via the mudumalai national park instead of the masinagudi route. I love this as this passes through the jungle and is very peaceful. Nowadays with the traffic on the hairpin bends, it's only a nightmare.

As far as zoom is concerned, just make sure you check the vehicle properly. All my zoom experiences have been good and experience at Bangalore zoom is comparatively better than other cities.

Enjoy your trip mate.
Old 24th May 2017, 09:07   #1676
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Jaaz, NPV is right as usual.

Depending on the wireless reports w.r.t. Masinagudi-Ooty of heavy uphill traffic and/or accident reports and/or local festivals and/or time of day (early morning is peaceful) etc, cops at this check-post (https://goo.gl/maps/2xRCM7jhHS12) can potentially shoo you away towards the Gudalur route.

You can try your luck and tell them that you have a booking at Kalhatty Jungle Camp or at Masinagudi :-) We have been to Ooty/Coonoor belt more than 10 times and shooed away only once.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 10:42   #1677
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You can take the Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet route.
Once you enter Bandipur, you have 2 options:
1. Turn left towards Masinagudi and take the 36 hair pin bend route to Ooty
2. Go straight towards Gudalur and reach Ooty. See earlier posts for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
This is something new and unheard. What could be the reason ? I've done this route, just last month (April 2017).
This has been in effect for a few years now, not something new. Depending on the traffic, especially on long weekends/holidays, cops divert downhill traffic via Gudalur (they do this only for traffic exiting Ooty via the 36 hair pin bend route). They do this to avoid accidents (due to driving fast downhill, brake failure, etc) as there have been few incidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
As NPV mentioned, the route via Salem avinashi mettupalayam is very good. But it's also the usual highway run. I personally prefer the mysore route for its beauty and the jungle pass.
That response was for @aptiwa who is heading to Coonoor first

Last edited by NPV : 24th May 2017 at 10:44.
Old 24th May 2017, 11:15   #1678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Jaaz, NPV is right as usual.

Depending on the wireless reports w.r.t. Masinagudi-Ooty of heavy uphill traffic and/or accident reports and/or local festivals and/or time of day (early morning is peaceful) etc, cops at this check-post (https://goo.gl/maps/2xRCM7jhHS12) can potentially shoo you away towards the Gudalur route.

You can try your luck and tell them that you have a booking at Kalhatty Jungle Camp or at Masinagudi :-) We have been to Ooty/Coonoor belt more than 10 times and shooed away only once.
Based on my casual discussion with the cop at the check post, i can say that they are generally ok with local and SUV vehicles. Due to frequent breakdown of vehicles driven by novice drivers, forest department is raising objections to vehicles being allowed on this route particularly during afternoon.
Old 24th May 2017, 13:25   #1679
BHPian

Quote:
You can take the Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet route.

That response was for @aptiwa who is heading to Coonoor first

Oh, my bad. I guess I mixed up the two queries..
Nonetheless, I guess query answered for both. I actually once was traveling to Wellington from Bangalore and took the bandipur mudumalai route while going and the mettupalayam Salem route while return. And indeed both routes have something to enjoy for sure. A blissful jungle road vs the peaceful highway run. To each his own..
Old 24th May 2017, 14:45   #1680
BHPian

Quote:
Team,

~/Basuk
Quote:

Things would be better (partially) around first week of June I guess. As of now, heard huge jams on Ooty particularly around weekends due to summer holidays for kids in TN, KA.
June 1st week, many schools open up in Blr, so might be better. If you do not have dependency with school holidays, June 2nd week onwards would be a better time. (since you are planning in first of June, there probably is not major difference in weather)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks