Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2017, 09:30   #1741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
It takes me less than 2 hours to reach SR Patna.
I will be heading to Ooty coming Sunday and I will be starting early morning from Yashwantpur/RT Nagar.

Which route would you suggest ?

Usual : Yashwantpura - NICE - Ramanagara - Mandya - Mysore
Option 1 : Yashwantpura - Kunigal - Hulirayadurga - Maddur -
Mysore (https://goo.gl/maps/5eSXeHEwSwS2)

Option 2 : Yashwantpura - Nagamangala - SR Patna - Mysore ( https://goo.gl/maps/iJUvPuWvmyC2)

I will be driving with a small kid and expectedly will be taking frequent breaks to entice him, so I am hoping Option 1&2 is good for such stopovers and road condition is good throughout in both cases.

Please advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
try to take the route when you go to Ooty from Gudalur, the experience is worth it.
Thanks NPV

I will be starting early morning from Yashwantpur/RT Nagar.

Option 1 : Yashwantpura - Kunigal - Hulirayadurga - Maddur -
Mysore (https://goo.gl/maps/5eSXeHEwSwS2)

Option 2 : Yashwantpura - Nagamangala - SR Patna - Mysore ( https://goo.gl/maps/iJUvPuWvmyC2)

I will be driving with a small kid and expectedly will be taking frequent breaks to entice him, so I am hoping Option 1&2 is good for such stopovers and road condition is good throughout in both cases.

Please advise.

Last edited by ampere : 25th January 2018 at 12:08. Reason: back to back posts merged
Old 22nd December 2017, 09:44   #1742
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I will be heading to Ooty coming Sunday and I will be starting early morning from Yashwantpur/RT Nagar.
Since it is early morning start, you can go via Mysore Road. You will also have options for food / rest rooms if required.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:00   #1743
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
I will be starting early morning from Yashwantpur/RT Nagar.

You're constrained by the fact that you need to break as well as have options for food, etc which leaves you with almost only one option of regular Mysore road route. I don't know how early you plan to start, but there will be good traffic even if you start at 4am since this is a long weekend.
Though Mysore road route has many restaurants, most open only at 6:45am or later, do keep that in mind too.

If you can manage with fewer break options, then consider the Nelamangala-Bellur cross-Nagamangala route too. Now there are more options right after Nelamangala like shark food court, Kamat, Swathi, Adigas, Halli Mane, etc
Once you turn off towards nagamangala, not too many options maybe just Thotada Mane.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:23   #1744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
consider the Nelamangala-Bellur cross-Nagamangala route too.
Thanks NPV. I frequent Hassan highway enroute my native (Puttur). I have taken Nagamangala route earlier this year to Melukote. Overall it was good driving experience. However, I am just bit concerned about unexplored part of nagamangala to S R Patna., I hope this is in shape.
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:32   #1745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yashwantpura - Nagamangala - SR Patna - Mysore
This has been my standard route now for Mysore/Ooty over the last year primarily because I dont have to deal with the mad traffic on Mysore road. Again a lot of stops on this Route till the deviation before Bellur Cross + the 2L after Nagamangala is a peaceful ride and you will find a lot of places where you can just park by the side of the road and take a breather amidst green fields or trees.

Do you plan to drive up via Masinagudi or Gudalur? Masinagudi is faster but Gudalur is more scenic.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:35   #1746
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I hope this is in shape.
Nagamangala to SR Patna in very good shape where in a lot of broken patches etc have a new layer of good tarmac on the entire road - not just in patches.
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:37   #1747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Do you plan to drive up via Masinagudi or Gudalur? Masinagudi is faster but Gudalur is more scenic.
Thank you procrj. I will consider this route for sure.

My stay is at Gudalur ( I was not sure if my kid will bear night stay in chill ooty). I will shuttle between Gudalur and Ooty/Coonoor before heading to Wayanad. I believe I should explore both Masinagudi & Gudalur route for the experience sake. Any word of caution/advise to note ?
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:55   #1748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any word of caution/advise to note ?
Would suggest you ignore Masinagudi route for now and stick to Gudalur - Ooty - Coonor as Gudalur is your base. Do be mentally prepared for traffic in Ooty - would suggest you avoid the usual tourist haunts like botanical gardens and lake etc. Instead try and visit Emerald lake, Fern Hill palace and other relatively tourist free spots.

Ooty - Coonor will again have a lot of traffic. Instead you might want to drive to Kotagiri and can include Doddabetta visit on the way. Ooty - Kotagiri is beautiful winding roads and some stunning valley views.
Old 22nd December 2017, 14:36   #1749
BHPian

Planning to go from Mangaluru to Ooty on the 24th of December. Google maps is showing this route. Is it ok? Please guide. Thanks.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ma...11.4064138!3e0
Old 25th January 2018, 11:18   #1750
Distinguished - BHPian

Headed to Coonoor over the weekend. Google Maps indicates to deviate from Avinashi towards Annur-Mettupalayam. Is this the best option or better to deviate earlier some place earlier? (Apart from Thoppur-Mettur-Mettupalayam route)

Note: Not planning to take Mysore route as my destination is before Coonoor.
Old 25th January 2018, 11:32   #1751
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Is this the best option or better to deviate earlier some place earlier? (Apart from Thoppur-Mettur-Mettupalayam route)
This should be fine.
From Avinashi bypass on NH47/544, turn towards Annur, then head to Mettupalayam and onwards to coonoor.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 12:38   #1752
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Headed to Coonoor over the weekend
Why not Kollegal - Dimbam - Sathy? heard the roads are very good and you will not have to deal with the infamous tolls.
Old 25th January 2018, 12:52   #1753
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Headed to Coonoor over the weekend. Google Maps indicates to deviate from Avinashi towards Annur-Mettupalayam. Is this the best option or better to deviate earlier some place earlier? (Apart from Thoppur-Mettur-Mettupalayam route)

Note: Not planning to take Mysore route as my destination is before Coonoor.
If its Conoor, this is far better an option than Mysore/Ooty. Start early 3:30/4 to break Bangalore exit traffic (for the long weekend) and you will be on Conoor by 10:30/11 easily.

Take the last Avinashi bypass exit, head back to Avinashi town, and then get on to the Annur road onto Mettupalayam and there on to Ooty road. I would any day suggest this option over Mysore or NH209 for a fast hassle free drive. (In fact even I did the same a year back during 2016 X-Mas). All I had to do was to beat the Bangalore exit crowd and there on it was easy sail and Fastag for help.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 13:32   #1754
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Why not Kollegal - Dimbam - Sathy? heard the roads are very good and you will not have to deal with the infamous tolls.
Thanks. Considered this, but with family and kids and lack of stopping options, did not want to go this way. In addition, I start from Sarjapur Road, so going Sarjapur/Attibelle/Bagalur is easier.

Also, have a fastag that has seen no action in nearly 6 months because all my drives have happened to be on non-toll roads. So want to try that out and how much it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If its Conoor, this is far better an option than Mysore/Ooty. Start early 3:30/4 to break Bangalore exit traffic (for the long weekend) and you will be on Conoor by 10:30/11 easily.
Thanks. 4 am start looks doubtful. But let me try
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 20:43   #1755
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks. 4 am start looks doubtful. But let me try
On a long weekend you better start early! Else you risk crowd at all tolls and not just Attibele and Krishnagiri. In spite of starting at 4, I ended up seeing a km long queue at Thoppur. I thought, I was through when I went past Krishnagiri. Only to realize the battle to reach the toll counter was still on!

Fastag helped, but given its 2-laned per side beyond Krishnagiri, it becomes utter chaos with buses and trucks coming at you from all sides.

So if you start by 4, you are just OK! If I remember NPV mentioned, some one started at 5 during that X-mas weekend, and reached only Salem by 10!

Last edited by ampere : 25th January 2018 at 21:15. Reason: Fixed typo
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks