Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2018, 21:20   #1756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Headed to Coonoor over the weekend. Google Maps indicates to deviate from Avinashi towards Annur-Mettupalayam. Is this the best option or better to deviate earlier some place earlier? (Apart from Thoppur-Mettur-Mettupalayam route)

Note: Not planning to take Mysore route as my destination is before Coonoor.
I did Bangalore-Conoor in Oct2017 and relied on Google map route mentioned above. Thats the fastest and relaxed route to Conoor. The ghat section is wide and had just a couple of broken patches due some ongoing culvert work.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2018, 20:07   #1757
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Planning to drive to Ooty from north of Bangalore on Wednesday around 12noon.
What are the best route options?
1. Salem-Coimbatore-Mettupalayam-Ooty [ This is the only option Google has currently :-) ]
2. Kanakapura-Kollegal-Gundlepet-Theppakkadu-Masinagudi-Ooty
3. Kanakapura-Kollegal-Gundlepet-Theppakkadu-Gudalur-Ooty
4. Mandya-Mysore-Gundlepet-Theppakkadu-*-Ooty

Any update on road conditions on the Kanakapura route, Masinagudi ghats and Gudalur stretch will be helpful. I've taken Kanakapura route multiple times to avoid Mysore road. The road conditions used to vary drastically. So, wanted to check on the latest. Also, Masinagudi and Gudalur ghat sections are decent, of late?

Regards
Rex
Old 25th February 2018, 20:15   #1758
BHPian

Default Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post

Any update on road conditions on the Kanakapura route, Masinagudi ghats and Gudalur stretch will be helpful. I've taken Kanakapura route multiple times to avoid Mysore road. The road conditions used to vary drastically. So, wanted to check on the latest. Also, Masinagudi and Gudalur ghat sections are decent, of late?

Regards
Rex

Travelled on the Kanakapura stretch from Mysore to Bangalore today. The roads are quite good, except for a few rough patches along the route due to road expansion. The only issue is that it is single laned but there is very little traffic for most of the time on the route. I feel this is the best route as traffic can be avoided and travel time decreases by a small margin. However, decent restaurants are available only in Kanakapura and not anywhere before and after.

For your trip to Ooty, I would suggest you take the Mandya - Mysore - Gundlupet route as you are travelling on a weekday.

Regards
Prathik

Last edited by Prathiiik : 25th February 2018 at 20:38.
Prathiiik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2018, 20:26   #1759
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Gmaps is currently showing only Salem route since the forest section of Bandipur is closed between 9pm-6am.

Since you start on a weekday noon time, you can go via Mysore/Gundlupet and take the Gudalur route (avoid Masingudi/36 hair pin bend route in the evening).

I think there is some road expansion work near Kanakapura/malavalli so avoid those routes.

You can even do Bangalore-Nelamangala-Kunigal-Bellur Cross-Nagamangala-Srirangapatna, better than regular bangalore-mysore road route if you're bored of it (mysore road route will not have the usual manic traffic seen on weekends, so that may be fine too).

Alternatively, take the Salem-avinashi-annur-mettupalayam-ooty route and reach Ooty from the other side.

Last edited by NPV : 25th February 2018 at 20:30.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2018, 20:26   #1760
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Salem-Coimbatore-Mettupalayam-Ooty [ This is the only option Google has currently :-) ]
2. Kanakapura-Kollegal-Gundlepet-Theppakkadu-Masinagudi-Ooty
3. Kanakapura-Kollegal-Gundlepet-Theppakkadu-Gudalur-Ooty
4. Mandya-Mysore-Gundlepet-Theppakkadu-*-Ooty

Regards
Rex
Since route 2,3,4 have night restrictions, Google will not show it if you check at a time when the trip will pass through the forest at the restricted times. You should see the masinagudi/gudalur options if you check in the morning.

Wednesday 12pm, the regular Mysore Theppkadu masinagudi route should be best. If you are headed past Ooty towards coonoor side, then the Mettupalayam route maybe faster.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 14:19   #1761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Since route 2,3,4 have night restrictions, Google will not show it if you check at a time when the trip will pass through the forest at the restricted times. You should see the masinagudi/gudalur options if you check in the morning.

Wednesday 12pm, the regular Mysore Theppkadu masinagudi route should be best. If you are headed past Ooty towards coonoor side, then the Mettupalayam route maybe faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Gmaps is currently showing only Salem route since the forest section of Bandipur is closed between 9pm-6am.

Since you start on a weekday noon time, you can go via Mysore/Gundlupet and take the Gudalur route (avoid Masingudi/36 hair pin bend route in the evening).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prathiiik View Post

For your trip to Ooty, I would suggest you take the Mandya - Mysore - Gundlupet route as you are travelling on a weekday.
Thanks Prathiiik, NPV, and Rajeevraj for your responses.

You were right. Google shows up Bandipur route when tried during the day time. As suggested by most of you, noon time trip on Mysore road appears to be ok and does not have the mad traffic as on weekends.

Any idea on the latest road conditions on Masinagudi and Gudalur stretches? Also, is Masinagudi stretch one-way from Theppakkadu towards Ooty and not allowed from Ooty towards Theppakkadu?

Regards
Rex
rex_varghese is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 14:56   #1762
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea on the latest road conditions on Masinagudi and Gudalur stretches? Also, is Masinagudi stretch one-way from Theppakkadu towards Ooty and not allowed from Ooty towards Theppakkadu?
Both routes are good from what I've recently read on TBHP.

Cops sometimes do not allow downhill traffic from Ooty on the Masinagudi route, especially during weekends/holidays and most evenings.

Take a call depending on the weather, availability of daylight and what time you reach Theppakadu (where left turn goes towards Masinagudi and straight goes to Gudalur).
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 17:41   #1763
BHPian

Did the Bangalore-Ooty leg on a Wednesday via Mysore and returned on a Saturday, via Mysore.

Starting around 11am from north of Bangalore, we could hit our resort by 6pm, including a 45 minutes lunch break. Mysore road was decent once we crossed the Metro construction area. Took Mysore ring road. The road from Mysore towards Gundlepet is amazing. This was the first time I took this route after the widening/relaying was done. Great surface to drive. Roads all through were great. Masinagudi was a breeze. Good surface which is well marked. Not much of a traffic, probably due to a weekday evening. The boulevard of trees after Masinagudi, before the ghat section, have all bloomed . It's a real treat to the eyes. They were looking surreal in the evening sun. Not to be missed.

They were letting reverse traffic from Ooty when we passed the junction where you go straight to Ooty and right takes you to Pykara/Gudalur. So, we were hopeful of taking the same route during our return journey was well.

We started from Ooty on Saturday around 12 and we were stopped at the junction where you should go straight to hit the Masinagudi ghats. The cop standing there did not allow us irrespective of a long chat. He said only local traffic is permitted. That was a disappointment. Probably, they are not letting downward traffic on weekends anticipating high upward traffic on the ghats. Not sure, though. So, we took left from there on the Gudalur route. This route is longer by 20kms and approx an hour more by time. Road is pretty bad many places and the large number of heavy vehicle traffic makes this drive till Gudalur pretty painful. Beyond Gudalur things settled down, except for reasonably heavy traffic on Mysore road. Hit home by 8pm.

Regards
Rex
rex_varghese is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 23:59   #1764
BHPian

Are there any private buses / TNSTC buses plying between Mettupalayam and Ooty after 6:30 PM?

I'm riding down to Ooty on May 3rd and and taking the train from Ooty to Mettupalayam on the 4th afternoon. The train leaves Ooty at 2 PM and reaches Mettupalayam at 5:30 PM. Checked cab services and the charge is around Rs.1600 from Mettupalayam to Ooty, which for a solo traveller is expensive. Checked private bus operators and I see only buses starting in the AM.

As of now, the only option I have is to get off at Mettupalayam and stay there for the night and then take the first bus back to Ooty in the morning.
Old 21st March 2018, 09:28   #1765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
Are there any private buses / TNSTC buses plying between Mettupalayam and Ooty after 6:30 PM?
They would be. Nearly all long distance buses depart/arrive only after sundown.
Old 24th March 2018, 15:35   #1766
BHPian

Since the road conditions in the Mysore Nanjangudu Gundulpet section has improved in last couple of years, we have fewer number of Team BHPians taking the Kanakpura Malavalli Chamrajanagar TNarsapur Gundulpet Section. How is the condition of this road now? I am returning from Ooty next sunday afternoon and want to avoid long weekend return traffic on Mysore Bangalore Road
Old 24th March 2018, 15:46   #1767
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Since the road conditions in the Mysore Nanjangudu Gundulpet
You can try Gundlupet - Mysore ring road - Bannur - Mallavalli - Kanakpura route.
This is the fastest route as of now. You will encounter slightly heavy traffic between Gundlupet - Mysore ring road on long weekends. However, nothing to be concerned about.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 16:40   #1768
Senior - BHPian

Ankan - The only other issue you might face is the narrow roads, and not being able to overtake. I live on Kanakpura Road and the traffic increases multifold on the sunday evenings towards Bangalore. I do my Coimbatore trips on this route and i find that this road is getting crowded too. Route you can take is Ooty - Gundlupet - Ring Road - Malvalli - Kanakpura - Somanahalli - Nice Road...
jkrishnakj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 15:26   #1769
BHPian

I started at 4.10 AM on last Saturday and reached Bandipur forest gate at 7.40 AM. I couldn't believe that it just took me 3.5 hrs. The road condition post Mysore is very good. Bangalore - Mysore till Maddur has a lot of rough spots & uneven surfaces due to patchwork. Next day (Sunday 01-Apr), started from Bandipur at 10.30 AM and reached Marathalli at 3.40 PM. Took Gundulpet - Mysore ORR - Bannur - Malavalli - Kanakpura route. Lunch break at Mandarthi Gardenia veg restaurant after crossing Kanakpura. Route 31 restaurant was closed. A lot of road expansion work is going on NH209. Hopefully, they will be finished in the next couple of years.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 22:58   #1770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Lunch break at Mandarthi Gardenia veg restaurant after crossing Kanakpura. Route 31 restaurant was closed. .
How was the food at this restaurant now? It was earlier called as "The Kitchen" which was just below average and i believe their management recently changed (or just a name change to attract more people but same quality food )

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed