Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2019, 18:21   #1936
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Hi everyone, we are a couple travelling to ooty in mid July. This is our first time to ooty. We will be starting off from south bangalore at around 9 am. Which route would serve us better Gudalur or Masinagudi?
Old 1st July 2019, 18:43   #1937
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_9327 View Post
Hi everyone, we are a couple travelling to ooty in mid July. This is our first time to ooty. We will be starting off from south bangalore at around 9 am. Which route would serve us better Gudalur or Masinagudi?
Standard advice is go up via masinagudi, come down via Gudalur. If not comfortable with the 36 hair pin bend steep climb, stick to Gudalur both ways.

Monsoon is expected to get strong in July. Keep a watch on the rains in the hills and any disruptions because of that.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 19:54   #1938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_9327 View Post
Suggest you to start as early as possible from Bengaluru to avoid chaos at Mysore road.
We did a trip to Kotagiri during April through the below route:

Bengaluru > Malavalli > Gundlupete > Bandipura >Theppakadu > Masinagudi > Ooty > Coonoor > Dolphin's nose > Kotagiri

From Theppakadu to Thalaikundha (junction where you join Ooty - Pykara road) it's a narrow road with the steep curves at some places.

See if this video helps you in understanding the route condition.

ThilakNex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 10:02   #1939
BHPian

Hey guys, I have planned a trip to Ooty this weekend on 26 - 27 - 28. I will be leaving by 4 AM on the 26th and riding via Krishnagiri. I have no plans to take the Bandipur route.

I am seeing news of heavy rains in Kerala & Nilgiris. Anyone who has been there recently? Any firsthand news of how the weather is going to be this weekend?
Old 22nd July 2019, 13:23   #1940
Senior - BHPian

Planning a trip around Aug 01-04. Google Maps suggests these two routes. I understand that the Mudumlai (Masinagudi) route might be closed for traffic by cops. Alternatively Gudalur Route too.

I didnt see any mention of Krishnagiri->Dharmapuri route by anyone. Any specific reasons? Please see Map below.

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-ootyroute.jpg
Old 22nd July 2019, 13:36   #1941
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Google Maps suggests these two routes. I understand that the Mudumlai (Masinagudi) route might be closed for traffic by cops. Alternatively Gudalur Route too.

I didnt see any mention of Krishnagiri->Dharmapuri route by anyone. Any specific reasons? Please see Map below.
Masinagudi route - unless there's a road closure due to heavy rains/soil erosion etc, you can take this uphill to Ooty, it's a nice drive on the 36 hairpin bends. On holidays and weekends when the tourist inflow heavy, cops restrict downhill traffic from Ooty on this route.

Gudalur route is always open (no checkposts with time restrictions), though the Karnataka side entry is via Bandipur and closed between 9pm-6am every day.

The other option with more 4/6 lanes roads is to go via Avinashi (part of standard route towards Coimbatore/Palakkad; Bangalore-Salem-Avinashi), then turn off towards Annur-Mettupalayam-Ooty. With this route, you will reach Ooty from the other side (Via Coonoor) compared to Masinagudi and Gudalur routes.
*And yes, the route includes Krishnagiri and Dharmapuri en route Salem

Last edited by NPV : 22nd July 2019 at 13:37.
Old 2nd August 2019, 16:09   #1942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post
It has been a while since we have had any discussion on accommodation in and around Ooty.
BHPians who have done recent Ooty trips, can you please suggest good hotel accommodation and food joints in Ooty?
BHPians who recently visited Ooty, please suggest good hotel accommodation and food joints.
Posted this earlier in the accommodations thread, readership there looks meagre, hence posting here.
Old 2nd August 2019, 17:20   #1943
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post
BHPians who recently visited Ooty, please suggest good hotel accommodation and food joints.
Haven't visited Ooty recently, but some pointers here (all different kinds of properties), obviously there are several options at various price points:

Hotel Lake View - is an old place, nice cottages spread out like villas in the property with internal streets so you can park your car right outside your cottage. Be prepared for slow room service, maybe a good idea to eat elsewhere when staying here or head over to their restaurant. This is near the HPF factory and close to Gudalur road and Ooty lake.

Hotel Charing Cross - bang in the middle of town near botanical garden, has lots of shopping places, eateries nearby.

Cypress woods B&B - a nice bungalow/villa with few rooms (near Rose Garden, Ooty)

Restaurants - Nahar is good, Shinkow's for chinese

Last edited by NPV : 2nd August 2019 at 17:22.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 09:41   #1944
BHPian

Did a Bangalore - Bandipur drive end of July. Onward took the ramanagar, channapatna, Mandya route and return chose the Srirangapatna, nagamangala, bellur cross, Kunigal route. Some observations:
Onward Journey:
1. Started from Mahadevapura on a Friday morning around 8am. It was a pain getting out of Bangalore traffic
2. Lot of good options for breakfast on this route as shared by other members already
3. The multi laning work of Blr-Mys is going on at a hectic pace but not majorly impacting the traffic on this road
4. Road work or not I always get stressed out on this road. Bad drivers, traffic in the intermediate cities, 2-lane with lot of 2 wheelers, autos going at snail pace etc. This was established again.
5. Took the Mysore ring road and there onwards till Bandipur it was a joy to drive

Return journey:
1. It's a 40km detour but the drive was enjoyable
2. Getting past Nagamangala was slow due to congestion
3. Had great tea at a road side tea stall near Pandavapura railway station
4. Used Cruise control on many stretches
5. Patches of road are under construction between Srirangapatna and bellur cross but won't affect your quality of drive
6. Bellur cross to Mahadevapura was a float inspire of usual traffic from Nelamangala junction, hebbal and fin factory

Would take this route any day :-)
Old 9th August 2019, 11:53   #1945
BHPian

Hi,

Planning to drive down to Ooty tomorrow (Saturday) .Does anybody have
an update on road closures between Mysore and Theppakadu , and beyond ?

I did hear that the Gudalur-Pykara route has been closed.

Some feeback would definitely help .

Regards,
Old 9th August 2019, 12:34   #1946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Hi,

Regards,
Not advisable to travel to Ooty unless absolutely necessary. Many roads leading to and around Ooty have reportedly been damaged.
Also, with water level rising rapidly in kabini, there is a high possibility that like last year, Mysore-Nanjangud road may get waterlogged.
Old 9th August 2019, 12:44   #1947
BHPian

How is the route till Bandipur? I am planning to go to Bandipur on AUG15th.
Please let me know.
Old 9th August 2019, 14:02   #1948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Regards,
Nanjangud-Ooty road has been closed due to flooding as per latest reports in news channel.
Not a good idea to step out towards the Western Ghats at this time. Even if you can make it, there is nothing much that can be done if you are on a vacation.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 16:25   #1949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Nanjangud-Ooty road has been closed due to flooding as per latest reports in news channel.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. Since going is a little urgent, how about the alternate route of Kanakpura-Kollegal-Sathyamangalam-Mettupalayam-Conoor ?

Rgds,
Old 9th August 2019, 18:50   #1950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. Since going is a little urgent, how about the alternate route of Kanakpura-Kollegal-Sathyamangalam-Mettupalayam-Conoor ?

Rgds,
I haven't heard of any issues on that route. Having said that, it is better to check the news or social media before you leave, for updates.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks